How is "Bandwagon Fans" an insult from opposing fans?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Just like temporary insanity I become a temporary fan. I read everything I can, I watch all the games and highlights, I think Steven A is an A-hole and hope that Prisco gets run over by a bus, not killed, but close, just some broken legs or something. Does fanaticism need to be permanent to be a fan?

SC

cajunhawk

Reaction score
I get that a lot in South Louisiana. Around here it's a strong contingent of Saints fans (Panthers, Patriots, or Cowboys fans if the Saints aren't winning), a few Cowboy fans, and then a smattering of random fans. So to be lambasted by these goobers about being a bandwagon fan is laughable and pretty easy to roll with. I got this one cat who took the cake though. He was a Saints/Chiefs fan. He asked me my age and when I told him I was 33 he said he had the ultimate question to test if I was always a Seahawks fan. Who caught the touchdown to beat the Chiefs in the Derek Thomas sackfest game? Without a pause I said...Paul Skansi. He stared at me for a second...shook my hand...and paid for my beer the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes it pays to be called a bandwagon fan.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Calling another fan base "bandwagon fans" is a last-gasp trolling attempt to put down another team that is clearly better than your own team.

For example, this was what many Donkey fans were spewing last February after the Seattle beat down that they endured.

Pathetic.... truly pathetic.

OP
OP
HawkAroundTheClock

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
cajunhawk":3gm911y8 said:
I got this one cat who took the cake though. He was a Saints/Chiefs fan. He asked me my age and when I told him I was 33 he said he had the ultimate question to test if I was always a Seahawks fan. Who caught the touchdown to beat the Chiefs in the Derek Thomas sackfest game? Without a pause I said...Paul Skansi. He stared at me for a second...shook my hand...and paid for my beer the rest of the afternoon. Sometimes it pays to be called a bandwagon fan.
:lol:
Well played, Cajun.

Your story is a good example of how you just gotta be comfortable in your own skin and brush off superficial criticisms and name calling – in all areas of life. "Sticks and stones..." and all that.

Rat

Reaction score
Panthers fans calling us "bandwagoners", that's pretty funny. How many Panther fans were there before the mid-90s? Hypocrites.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Pak-Man12":w61vm4cr said:
I remember when I was a kid and just starting to get into football, the Seahawks were my team since day 1. And this was back when admitting you were a Seahawks fan got you laughed at, back in the early to mid 90s, right here in Washington. Through it all the Hawks were my team. I wore the jackets, the hats, got picked on for it all the time in school, but I loved my Hawks. So now when people say we're bandwagoners I'm part insulted but mostly amused.

This happened to me, a lot, growing up.

WUnderhill

Reaction score
The Panthers need more bandwagon fans. I'm jelly.

I think it's used as an insult to insinuate that you hop around from team to team depending just on who is successful and then use that success as bragging rights when you aren't even a real fan. Those are the types of bandwagoners who are annoying. The bandwagoners I have no problem with are those that latch onto a team because of their success, but then become lifelong fans as opposed to hopping back off the bandwagon when the success isn't sustained or duplicated.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
I honestly dont care anymore. I do laugh when people around the Portland area start spouting off about Bandwagoners though, when they themselves arent all that involved or knowledgable about at least the CURRENT Seahawks team.

I have watched about every single game I could since I can rememember. I actually truly enjoyed watching when Tjack was the QB JUST to watch the defense because you could tell it was the start of something special.

I remember telling my dad how freaking excited I was about Thomas when we drafted him and then I told him we drafted some other safety in the 5th round who is HUGE and an enforcer and hoped he would be able to get it and play with Thomas.

Also proclaimed Wilson better than Luck and RG3 after the preseason. Just something about him that is better than every other QB the Seahawks have had. Matt was great but Wilson has blown him out of the water.

Funny thing is I am ALSO a Vikings fan and when people give me crap I can tell them a ton about BOTH teams. I have been to 2 games against the Vikings and Seahawks, and 3 other games up at CLINK. First game I have gone to was when Alexander ran for 5TDs in the first half against the Vikings. I think the second was a shutout against the 49ers haha. Great first 2 games to go to huh?

Mick063

Reaction score
I keep reading stuff like

"half empty Kingdome"

You know who the bandwagon folks are?

The folks that say that.

They are bandwagon NFL fans that don't know NFL history. Any true NFL fan knows that the Kingdome was a raving madhouse long before the current stadium was built. Where do you think "the wave" came from?

From this link.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4Rt1vNSpM

Listen to the portion from 4:26 to 4:38 (only 12 seconds of your life)

People just make poo up and it apparently sticks.

Reaction score
First time I ever been called a bandwagon fan,was in a thread yesterday by a panther fan just because I joined this board last year smfh. I have been a Seahawk fan since day one, and a husky fan since Sonny Sixkiller.
Its just shows the ignorance of some people to assume when you join a forum is when you became a fan.

Reaction score
First time I ever been called a bandwagon fan,was in a thread yesterday by a panther fan just because I joined this board last year smfh. I have been a Seahawk fan since day one, and a husky fan since Sonny Sixkiller.
Its just shows the ignorance of some people to assume when you join a forum is when you became a fan.

irocdave

Reaction score
Being auto labeled "bandwagon fan " pisses me off and meeting "bandwagon" Hawk fans irritates me. I have to keep reminding myself that more fans = more pressure on the NFL to promote my team. What I find really ironic is that other teams fans that toss out the Hawk bandwagon fandom card is they knew nothing about the Hawks until recently. FCS, it isn't like the Hawks did nothing until 2005. The 12th man thing started in the early 80', not yesterday or 2005. Anyone who claims this looses all respectability as an NFL fan in my mind when that comes out of their mouth. Just shows how ignorant they are as an NFL fan. All it takes is a quick google search for inform lazy ass fans of other teams to inform themselves before opening their pie hole about Hawk and their fans. The dedicated Hawk fandom became known nation wide in the early 80', not yesterday, just because ignorant fans don't know about that doesn't mean it's bandwagon jumping on the Hawks part.

You just cant fix stupid, and todays fans are filled with non fixable. All you can do is point it out and laugh.

irocdave

Reaction score
Born and partially raised in Kirkland WA. I had a Seattle Times paper route when I turned 10 YO. And NO, my parents didn't drive me around, all done by me and my Mongoose bike. I always had spare papers and quickly learned to read the sports page, then the cartoons. That started in 1980. I kept that job until 1984, then my family moved to Sacramento. I was lost, zero news about my Hawks and Dawgs, except for the George Michael Sports Machine that aired at like 11:00pm on Sunday nights and blurbs in the USA today sports section. My parents new I loved the Hawks so I would get t-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts etc for Christmas and my B day. I wore that shit like a king in HS. I still remember all my buddies parents were niner fans. They all would say "I really like the Hawks, they have a great fan base, entertaining to watch and the colors are cool". One of my buddies, Paul, was from SCal and his team was the LA Rams. My friends that were Raider fans were not so cool about that the Hawks and lost a couple of bets between 86 and 88. Some where between 88 and 91 I put a Hawks license plate on a Mexican coworkers car that was a Raiders fan. It took a couple of days and then he approached me with a bullet ridden Hawks plate. He threatened to do the same to me if it happened again. I did it again and he didn't shoot me, told him I would and that he better get the first shot right or I would beat his ass.

We all have our reasons for the way we feel about the Hawks success, but long time Hawk fans have dealt with way to much crap to let a blanket " bandwagon fan" accusation go unchallenged.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Some Packer fan said it to me at a party the other night. Not really directed at me, but she said something about how the city wasn't this excited in the past, she never saw flags, etc.

I just shrugged and said we all see what we want to see. And I don't care what a Packer fan thinks about the Seahawks. At all. Then asked if she was still butt hurt about the fail Mary.

The bandwagon stuff is hilarious and a compliment.

Everyone hates the champ

Jayburd14

Reaction score
Pak-Man12":16d14lj0 said:
I remember when I was a kid and just starting to get into football, the Seahawks were my team since day 1. And this was back when admitting you were a Seahawks fan got you laughed at, back in the early to mid 90s, right here in Washington. Through it all the Hawks were my team. I wore the jackets, the hats, got picked on for it all the time in school, but I loved my Hawks. So now when people say we're bandwagoners I'm part insulted but mostly amused.
I am willing to bet that if you check the Facebook pages of those people that picked on you back in the day it will be all about the Seahawks.

A

Anonymous

Cool, yet another fan-measuring contest!

Not sure if you can call it "bandwagon" or not, but my daddy used to take the garbage out for Jack Patera's elderly mother. I would tag along just to get my own glass of her homemade sun tea served in an authentic Seattle Seahawks crystal tumbler.

Does that make me a real fan, or just fan by association?

:roll:

BTW: My dad can beat up your dad.

:thfight7:

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Mick063":fb9eht1g said:
I keep reading stuff like

"half empty Kingdome"

You know who the bandwagon folks are?

The folks that say that.

They are bandwagon NFL fans that don't know NFL history. Any true NFL fan knows that the Kingdome was a raving madhouse long before the current stadium was built. Where do you think "the wave" came from?

From this link.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-4Rt1vNSpM

Listen to the portion from 4:26 to 4:38 (only 12 seconds of your life)

People just make poo up and it apparently sticks.

Bingo.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
HansGruber":3o2hegjw said:
Some Packer fan said it to me at a party the other night. Not really directed at me, but she said something about how the city wasn't this excited in the past, she never saw flags, etc.

I just shrugged and said we all see what we want to see. And I don't care what a Packer fan thinks about the Seahawks. At all. Then asked if she was still butt hurt about the fail Mary.

The bandwagon stuff is hilarious and a compliment.

Everyone hates the champ

Packer fans from the Seattle area are the worst. Right up there with Red Sox fans from the Seattle area.

Latest posts