Breakdown of CFB fans who attended their team's college

fenderbender123

Reaction score

Every now and then I run into a UW fan that belittles me when I say I didn't go to UW. I've ran into even more WSU fans who criticize me for it.

What these people should know is that if everyone who didn't attend that school didn't root for the football team, their program would take a massive hit. TV viewership, ticket sales, merchandise, etc.

Those fans should be thanking me for providing the extra support. Yet, they seem upset. Why?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
The whole "you can't be a fan because you didn't go there" is beyond stupid.

Coug fans are so hilarious. I have a WSU fan who claims that people shouldn't be able to pull for a team if they didn't go to school there, hilarious. My family has had Huskies season tickets for over 70 years, it has been a part of our family for generations, literally.

bileever

Reaction score
Count me among the UW fans that didn't go to school there. But when I was growing up, the Sonics and the Huskies were the only game in town. I went to the games with my dad, who did go to school there.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
The whole "you can't be a fan because you didn't go there" is beyond stupid.

Coug fans are so hilarious. I have a WSU fan who claims that people shouldn't be able to pull for a team if they didn't go to school there, hilarious.

Now you can tell him that one third of the Coug fan base didn't go to school there, and ask if he'd prefer if the program lost a third of its ticket sales and TV viewership.

It's mostly Coug fans that have given me shit for rooting for the Huskies. Every now and then I run into a Husky fan like that, but it's much more rare.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I wanted to play football, and I wasn’t good enough for the pac 12. So I headed to a JC in California then to a DII school.

Major College football is about money, schools without cling to “our fans went here” like Oregon State. Schools that are in a major conference are there because they draw fans and eyeballs.

dutchcoug

Reaction score
I like how you take this as science, you really think only 0.01% of Notre Dame fans went to the school? Isn't this from some annoying Sooner fan that pulls these things out of thin air. Either way, I don't care if you root UW and didn't go to the school. What I find hilarious is that every person I've interacted with that didn't go to UW are obnoxious about their smack talk and everyone that I've interacted with that actually went to the school are usually down to earth and cool. BTW UW's actually % would likely be 40% and WSU would be around 90%.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Meh. People can pull for who they want to. Makes it fun. If we can't razz each other, it's just not the same.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
If you want to link a better study, I'll read it. I just pulled this from Reddit.

Yes, I do think Notre Dame would have that few of fans that actually went there or close to it because they have a huge national following, to the point they've had their own TV contract with NBC, and they are a pretty small school with less than 10,000 undergraduates.

There's no way WSU is close to 90%. You've got to think about siblings, parents, spouses, etc of people who went there.

OP
OP
fenderbender123

fenderbender123

Reaction score
People who didn't go to that school being more vocal about repping the team makes sense, though. A lot of fans of football teams just because they went to school there rather than because they are super into football. So they don't talk much and probably don't even know a lot about the sport.

If your fav CFB team is somewhere you didn't go to school it's more likely that you are super into football and therefore like to talk smack.

In fact, I love schooling a lot of UW fans who went to school there and give me shit for not having gone there. I wind up knowing more about the teams, history, players, coaches, everything than them. So I turn it around and say "how can you call yourself a fan when your casual ass doesn't even know shit about the program or football in general?"

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
View attachment 65617

Every now and then I run into a UW fan that belittles me when I say I didn't go to UW. I've ran into even more WSU fans who criticize me for it.

What these people should know is that if everyone who didn't attend that school didn't root for the football team, their program would take a massive hit. TV viewership, ticket sales, merchandise, etc.

Those fans should be thanking me for providing the extra support. Yet, they seem upset. Why?
From Iowa down to Notre Dame, I’m guessing, a huge percentage of those “fans” lives/lived around that particular school and saw a bunch of their games or family members, may have attended the school. Why a person needs to be a student there to be a fan is dumb to me. This list from Iowa down to Notre Dame are some of the more notable football programs in the nation. It make sense that people will root for these teams and be fans of these programs. Those teams are up top with higher numbers maybe due to the students that attended those schools, don’t leave the state, after they graduate.

Example: I’m from Seattle, and I went to Vegas and Honolulu, I get consistent high fives and “Go Huskies” when I travel those cities and I wear UW shirts etc…UW has nationwide fans!

Latest posts