How I think this game will play out.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1uy7bhfw said:
Rewatched the all 22 of the week 6 game.

Made me feel really good about our chances this week.

Graham had a great day, but some of our red zone issues were from looking to Graham first and foremost.
But most of all, seeing KPL unable to get into gaps, seeing Cary Williams not be able to cover even a TE, seeing Frank Clark in relief of Avril deposit a right tackle in the lap of the QB, it reminded me not to put too much stock in an 11 week old result.

I got the feeling that both safeties were looking to shore up bot Williams and KPL. Wright was out of position half the game too, trying to play MLB.

Are you sure that was Clark? I don't think he played that game. Might have been Morgan...he had a sack that game.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Polaris":3o68rsk4 said:
RichNhansom":3o68rsk4 said:
Scottemojo":3o68rsk4 said:
Another note from watching the all-22.

Cam passes from the read option a few times a game. Almost every time, at least one lineman, if not more, are 4 or 5 yards down field. and it almost never gets called.

If I am Pete, I make sure the refs are aware of this.

How does that rule break down? I know the lineman can't run into the secondary but aren't they allowed 5 yards or so?

Weren't we called for this earlier this year?

Actually it's one yard for O linemen. If any non-eligible player is more than one yard beyond the LOS and an otherwise legal forward pass is thrown beyond the LOS, then it's a penalty: Illegal Man downfield. However, it's not a penalty until the qualifying pass is thrown.
Unless it's the Stealers in XL* then the o-linemen are allowed to be 8-10 yds downfield. Of course that's what happens when the refs only watch the other team's players in the constant search for yet another penalty call on Seattle.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
rideaducati":2htt661v said:
Scottemojo":2htt661v said:
Rewatched the all 22 of the week 6 game.

Made me feel really good about our chances this week.

Graham had a great day, but some of our red zone issues were from looking to Graham first and foremost.
But most of all, seeing KPL unable to get into gaps, seeing Cary Williams not be able to cover even a TE, seeing Frank Clark in relief of Avril deposit a right tackle in the lap of the QB, it reminded me not to put too much stock in an 11 week old result.

I got the feeling that both safeties were looking to shore up bot Williams and KPL. Wright was out of position half the game too, trying to play MLB.

Are you sure that was Clark? I don't think he played that game. Might have been Morgan...he had a sack that game.
Thanks for the catch. Yeah, put 55 in my notes instead of 56. Avril caused the Chancellor pick, not Clark. It was a great bull rush, the RT gave up to much ground, so Avril just used that space to pick up some steam and put the RT into the QB.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
2 interesting plays from the first half of the season
The first one, feels like a microcosm of our early season red zone issues. It appears to me that the primary read is to Jimmy Graham on a slow developing route that is bracketed very well. Russ never sees Fred come open, but by the time it is clear the slow developing route down field is done, the play is on life support. By lining Graham up on the LOS, we actually create our own confusion, because the Panthers respond by crowding the line of scrimmage with potentially 6 rushers, then sending 4. With a line as shaky and inexperienced as ours was, we were making picking up pass rush even harder.
Russ may miss a guy, but we let the Panthers dictate the rhythm of that play from even before the snap.
slow%20develop%20to%2088_zpsszvtxo5p.gif

This play goes on life support for a similar reason. Slow developing, Graham draws three defenders. It actually opens a big play deep down field, but by then Russ is already on the move. Unlike the previous play, Kuechly gets absorbed by Lynch and Russ is able to breathe life into a DOA play.
Slow20to208820scramble20for2024 zps2e6whmry

I am not trying to turn this thread into an opus on our OC. However, as the team has been forced to adapt to changing personnel and a recognition that we can make the QBs job easier by forcing defenses to declare intentions with some more spread out looks, the offense has clearly improved.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2xzdiv6o said:
Polaris":2xzdiv6o said:
RichNhansom":2xzdiv6o said:
Scottemojo":2xzdiv6o said:
Another note from watching the all-22.

Cam passes from the read option a few times a game. Almost every time, at least one lineman, if not more, are 4 or 5 yards down field. and it almost never gets called.

If I am Pete, I make sure the refs are aware of this.

How does that rule break down? I know the lineman can't run into the secondary but aren't they allowed 5 yards or so?

Weren't we called for this earlier this year?

Actually it's one yard for O linemen. If any non-eligible player is more than one yard beyond the LOS and an otherwise legal forward pass is thrown beyond the LOS, then it's a penalty: Illegal Man downfield. However, it's not a penalty until the qualifying pass is thrown.
Exactly.

Also not a penalty if the O lineman has maintained engagement on a legal block that was started with in the 1 yard limit.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
How dare you suggest, Scotte, that play-calling can make the OL/QB look better or worse.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
We need to start out strong. I know it's not how you start but how you finish....BUT gaining momentum right away is our best chance at building a lead we can keep

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":2halwszj said:
We need to start out strong. I know it's not how you start but how you finish....BUT gaining momentum right away is our best chance at building a lead we can keep

^^^
This...

I know Pete was all about "you win games in the 4th quarter" with the team last week, but let's face it. This Seahawks team typically wins games in the first two quarters.

I really hope for a strong start.