How I think this game will play out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1v6vjt9j said:
The Panthers are our toughest matchup of the year. Even if we win this game, this team, both in style and personnel, is our toughest test.

On defense, they love to crowd the line and come from anywhere with the blitz. They want to make the pass play 2.5 seconds or less, and they use pressure and a secondary thinking routes that take 2.5 seconds to create mistakes. Passing from tight formations and sets only plays into their defense's hands if the QB is doing a traditional dropback and see who is open type play, if you are going to pass from a run set vs these guys you better have a very specific plan for one route that will beat pressure, there won't be time to find a second from the pocket.
I expect a lot of spread looks vs the Panthers. Running from the spread is not easy vs this team, their big guys up front love to get into a double team and just grab both guys on the double team to free up the backers to be in the gaps. The backrs get all the glory, but up front is where the Panthers do the dirty work to be good run stoppers.
Spread offense will force the Panthers to get away from what they want to do to confuse the QB. I'm not saying they can't defend it, but spread will iso our two superior slot WRs on their weakest links, and if we want to run from the spread later in the game, getting Kuechly to shade toward those slot WRs is vital.
Spread looks will also prevent the corners from camping on routes. And if the Panthers are silly enough to insist on blitzing vs a spread offense, Russ has made his hay vs that the last 8 weeks.

I think another defensive weakness the Panthers have is over pursuit. Especially in big games vs physical teams, they show a tendency to be so intent on delivering physicality that they over pursue fakes.

On Offense, the Panthers are built to give us fits. Cam may have poor mechanics, but they don't bite him in the ass near as often as they should, the guy is just plain country strong. He makes throws other QBs can't make while stepping backwards. He can put an 18 yard out on a rope with bad mechanics. I don't think he is a great touch passer on the short stuff, his delivery is kind of slow enough for the D to pick up where he is looking, but him being a dual threat with his legs pretty much makes up for that. Cary Williams isn't the guy handing out engraved invitations to Ginn now, so they may not complete the bombs to him down that left sideline, but they will try to.

And pass rushing Cam is difficult, teams have to ask if they spy or if they mush rush the middle and only send one guy right at him. It has to be a dozen times this year I saw a very good move by a DE to beat the LT to the inside and Kam just takes off and runs for a big gain. In fact, the way Cam keeps track of a pass rusher on his blind side fells just like the way Russ keeps track of the DE on a zone read run. If the rusher goes inside, Cam goes outside. If the rusher goes outside, Cam steps up inside his rush. And then runs or throws. It looks like years of running the zone read run game is just instinctively a part of his passing game.

And the worst matchup for us, tight end. it will be up to Earl to stop some of the seam routes. We like to run hook zones with LBs and Kam, and there is a hole in our cover 3 between that hook zone and Earl's area in the middle of the field, and Cam is very good at that pass. I expect them to run some all go, 4 go stuff to get Earl to shade the slot guy running to the deep middle to free up that TE route.

And vs the run game, this team more than any other can get the 100 yd rusher no one has been able to get until now. Having to keep an eye on Cam keeping it and going around the corner keeps LBs from jumping gaps, and gives their RB an added chance to get into the 2nd level.

All in all, I can see why the oddsmakers are giving them the home field advantage and not much else. It is not difficult to see where each team can take advantage of the other, but when you add them up both teams end up feeling very squarely matched.

My biggest wild card for this game is how Seattle responds to Carolina's attempt to make this game almost all about physicality. Carolina seems to crave the baddest dog on the block label, and barking about being the baddest dog all game long. If Seattle can ignore that noise and just play hardnosed ball, it will turn that tendency of Carolina's into a negative. Three years ago that tendency cost Carolina the SF game, IMO, and I don't see that it has really diminished since. They are definitely a better team than 3 years ago, but they want to announce their presence so badly that it can be used against them.

In my opinion, Barring the odd, like severe wind and rain, I think this will be a game full of big plays for both teams. Carolina will not dink and dunk us to death, Cam will give Earl and Co looks at real NFL passes. We might even get our hands on a couple. Carolina will also exploit the deep holes in cover 3. We will use spread to minimize their ability to disguise the rush, and an inside out pass attack that forces them to devote resources to stopping our slot WRs, mixed with misdirection deep shots and a run game more about keeping them honest than trying to punish them with the run.

The homer in me says this game is one we win. The logical in me says this is an overtime game that goes either way.
I think you are spot on.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
bigskydoc":10qkosgu said:
I don't think we will need to blitz much. Just push the pocket with four to get a little pressure on Cam and disrupt his timing. He is hard to bring down and blitzing him leaves too much space open for him to connect to Olsen over the middle. If you don't keep a pocket tight around him, he will find the hole and burn you with his legs.

-bsd
I would like to see the Hawks give Olson the "Steve Smith treatment" (see the double and triple team) that Holmy's Hawks did in the 2005/2006 playoffs.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
It won't take we fans long to observe the play calls in our first two drives. If Russ and Bevell are "on"...pity the poor Panthers.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Another note from watching the all-22.

Cam passes from the read option a few times a game. Almost every time, at least one lineman, if not more, are 4 or 5 yards down field. and it almost never gets called.

If I am Pete, I make sure the refs are aware of this.

Rob12

Reaction score
FearTheBlitz":1td8vvvu said:
Barthawk":1td8vvvu said:
We also saw what a good offense can do the Panthers defense lately.. Saints 38 and Giants 35 points scored.. stop pretending like your team is invincible...

We match up very well against each other and to think that either of the teams are going to crack the 30 point barrier is lunacy IMO.

Sure we have gave up points on d, but you also have to remember. Our defense lead the league in take a ways.. Both of these teams aren't the same as week 6... It's silly for both team fans to be sitting here thinking it will be a blow out. Could it happen sure, but will it? I don't know because the game is played on the field and not on the forums...

Our defense has led the league in scoring defense four straight years.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Hawks46":2jlqs94s said:
Seattle's run offense vs. Carolina's run defense. We don't do well against their front 7. We need to run enough to be effective and move the chains, but we're without our two top RB's. Advantage Panthers.

Already counting Lynch out for Sunday, huh? As far as I know, that hasn't been determined either way.

Largent80

Reaction score
hawknation2015":zg740d3u said:
RichNhansom":zg740d3u said:
I'm a little worried about how much that weather and the way the last game played out might effect the players on Sunday.

Me too . . . mentally/physically, I think it took a lot out of them.

I see it the opposite. It TOUGHENED them up.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":33k4tm1y said:

Cam passes from the read option a few times a game. Almost every time, at least one lineman, if not more, are 4 or 5 yards down field. and it almost never gets called.

How does that rule break down? I know the lineman can't run into the secondary but aren't they allowed 5 yards or so?

Weren't we called for this earlier this year?

Polaris

Reaction score
RichNhansom":a245ip92 said:
Scottemojo":a245ip92 said:

How does that rule break down? I know the lineman can't run into the secondary but aren't they allowed 5 yards or so?

Actually it's one yard for O linemen. If any non-eligible player is more than one yard beyond the LOS and an otherwise legal forward pass is thrown beyond the LOS, then it's a penalty: Illegal Man downfield. However, it's not a penalty until the qualifying pass is thrown.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Polaris":1cwsy8ts said:
RichNhansom":1cwsy8ts said:
Scottemojo":1cwsy8ts said:

Actually it's one yard for O linemen. If any non-eligible player is more than one yard beyond the LOS and an otherwise legal forward pass is thrown beyond the LOS, then it's a penalty: Illegal Man downfield. However, it's not a penalty until the qualifying pass is thrown.
Exactly.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Great OP! Got yer mojo workin! You and Kearly got me wanting to rewatch lots of games.

I'm feeling like this contest could be anything. We could see one of those BOOM type starts like we just had against the Cards. Guys be flyin' around, smilin', dancin', playing loose and tearing it up.

Or it could be a heavyweight fight like Kam talked about after last year's NFC Championship game, where we have to take a few to the chin and keep standing before landing that final uppercut-haymaker combo.

Or it could be a tight, tense, low-scoring, scrappy battle that sees it come down to one crazy turnover, penalty, big play, electric return, or missed kick.

That covers just about every scenario, but that's what makes it such an intriguing and anticipated matchup.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3v9x87re said:
Polaris":3v9x87re said:
RichNhansom":3v9x87re said:
Scottemojo":3v9x87re said:

Exactly.

Got it. Thanks, I was unclear about how far down field.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":mtbzx0y5 said:
I'm feeling like this contest could be anything. We could see one of those BOOM type starts like we just had against the Cards. Guys be flyin' around, smilin', dancin', playing loose and tearing it up..

I hope you're right, but me thinks it'll be another frustrating conservative game plan by Pete because he knows our D can limit Cam to under 14 points like we always have.

I think we came out firing against Arizona cause Pete knew the Cards can score on our D, like they did here.

I'm going to be pissed if I see super conservative tentative run the play clock all the way to zero Russell when the game starts Sunday.

RussB

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1yfbjk7a said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1yfbjk7a said:
I'm feeling like this contest could be anything. We could see one of those BOOM type starts like we just had against the Cards. Guys be flyin' around, smilin', dancin', playing loose and tearing it up..

I hope you're right, but me thinks it'll be another frustrating conservative game plan by Pete because he knows our D can limit Cam to under 14 points like we always have.

I think we came out firing against Arizona cause Pete knew the Cards can score on our D, like they did here.

I'm going to be pissed if I see super conservative tentative run the play clock all the way to zero Russell when the game starts Sunday.
Yeah dont want them to play conservative, they need to be firing right away and scoring points.

RCATES

Reaction score
Most notable thing for me in this game vs. the last one.

B Wagner, J Hill, F Clark, J Lane, M Burley were all out.

That's 3 starters on defense and (2) key 3rd down pass rushers in Hill and Clark.

FearTheBlitz

Reaction score
Panthers only one player on our injury report and that's fozzy... Stewart,Ginn and Coleman were on the field and fully go today...

sam1313

Reaction score
rideaducati":337pbl1l said:
sam1313":337pbl1l said:
peachesenregalia":337pbl1l said:
rideaducati":337pbl1l said:
Nice write up, but I don't think this game is going to be close. The Seahawks are much better than they were last time these teams played and Carolina is worse. Seahawks win by three scores.

Never a truer word spoke.

No disrespect intended Peaches, but didn't you say the same thing last week? I actually think you are more likely to be right this week, but I hadn't seen a 10-9 debacle coming last week either....

In the end, the win is all that matters.

If being wrong hurt, I bet there would be a LOT less smack talk...nobody wants LESS smack talk.

I just hope like hell I am coming back here after a game like the last AZ game, and heaping praise on all of you who give me so much hope right now.

I certainly feel like we can win this game big, but I am as nervous as I was in the days leading up to SB 48. Surprisingly, the day I was walking into SB 48, I was remarkably calm - yet very fired up. The gaze of virtually every Seahawk fan I saw going into that stadium said one thing - "we got this." There was little to no yelling or carrying on, just a solid gaze, a quiet fist bump, and an acknowledgement that "we got this." Hope that is what everyone going to the game Sunday feels as well. GO HAWKS!!!

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Rewatched the all 22 of the week 6 game.

Made me feel really good about our chances this week.

Graham had a great day, but some of our red zone issues were from looking to Graham first and foremost.
But most of all, seeing KPL unable to get into gaps, seeing Cary Williams not be able to cover even a TE, seeing Frank Clark in relief of Avril deposit a right tackle in the lap of the QB, it reminded me not to put too much stock in an 11 week old result.

I got the feeling that both safeties were looking to shore up bot Williams and KPL. Wright was out of position half the game too, trying to play MLB.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I will add that Irvin was exceptional vs the Panthers in week 6. While they use a ton of misdirection, the offensive scheme is actually very simple. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Irvin was really keyed into much of the misdirection stuff.