How are the Hawks going to beat the Cardinals?

HawaiiD

Reaction score
Largent80":17k96j5e said:
Well, we were a couple of head scratching offensive calls away from beating KC at home, I actually think we will win this game.
Not to mention being once again fooled by Jeff fishers fake punts.

evergreen

Reaction score
It'a all about who needs it more. We've been the favorites all year and now it's down to brass tacks. Remember last year's game? Russell was just awful in that game. Right before half he had a 1st down and threw it out of bounds instead. He looked good yesterday, and that doesn't look good for AZ. Do they have a run game? We'll be pumped up like for Denver and GB. If they can beat us then give them the division. They got blown out by Denver don't forget.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Run quick slants, double moves, and all goes. They will never see it coming because there is no film of that stuff.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ZagHawk":27pbr27q said:
TeamoftheCentury":27pbr27q said:
ZagHawk":27pbr27q said:
TeamoftheCentury":27pbr27q said:
The Cardinals have won a few very close games. The Hawks have lost 4 close back-and-forth games by an average of only 5.5 points.

Bad teams lose close games. Good teams split close games. Great teams win close games.

Are we forgetting just how many close games we had last year that resulted in Ws?

Are we forgetting how many close games we had in 2012 that results in Ls (we were bad at the beginning of the season)?

Cardinals are legit.
No, smart guy. "We" are not forgetting. Didn't say anything of the sort. The OP posed the question. My comments were intended to bring a dose of reality instead of simply looking at a team with a 9-1 record and assuming they're unbeatable.

So, you're saying the Hawks are a bad team and the Cardinals are a great team? I disagree. I think they're closer than their records indicate... regardless of the outcome this weekend. Again, not taking anything away from the Cards. But, good teams battle every game and don't get blown out. It's fairly remarkable how well the Hawks have been able to stay in games with all the key injuries they've had to deal with. I still agree with Marshawn that this is a Championship caliber team.

I'm saying this year: Oakland is a bad team. The Seahawks are a good team, and the Cardinals are a great team. If the Seahawks were healthy all year, I'm pretty sure they could have been a great team, but as it stands, just a good team (which isn't a bad thing, but it's just not what we were all hoping for going into this season).
Ok, fair enough. Yeah, isn't that the truth we all sure hoped for more going into the season. Knew it would be tough, but never expected this much adversity. Not the kind of Championship defense season I had hoped for. I more agree with MidwestHawker, though, that the Cardinals are a good team with a great record. Look at their remaining schedule, though. No one is going to roll over. Even Atlanta is fighting for it in their division and cannot afford to drop any more games.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":125hhx7f said:
ZagHawk":125hhx7f said:
and the Cardinals are a great team.

Not really. They're a good team with a great record.

Every announcer who ever repeats that stupid Parcells saying, "you are what your record says you are," should be fired on the spot and blacklisted from all employment for the rest of their lives.
:th2thumbs:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":1glohy7a said:
Uncle Si":1glohy7a said:
MidwestHawker":1glohy7a said:
Cardinals' pass D is a decent bit more susceptible than their run D, at least so far this year. It's going to take a balanced attack to win the game; I'm sure Marshawn will play fine, but this doesn't shape up as a game where he goes off.

D needs to create turnovers. For me its the biggest difference from this year to last year. We have lost 4 games, and all 4 have come down to the last two minutes. toss in an extra turnover or two in each of those games and its hard to see us not winning atleast 2 of them.

AZ isnt lighting the world on fire offensively. If the Hawks can steal some points by creating turnovers, I think we walk. If we struggle to turn them over, it will be a nail biter

I agree with this. I mean, forcing turnovers isn't one of the more sustainable things that you can count on, but I'm thinking that this is Stanton's first start at the Clink, and that alone leaves me reasonably confident that he coughs it up a time or two. Turnovers are what could break the dam and allow us to win somewhat comfortably.
+1

ZagHawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":398e0s7m said:
MidwestHawker":398e0s7m said:
ZagHawk":398e0s7m said:
and the Cardinals are a great team.

Not really. They're a good team with a great record.

Every announcer who ever repeats that stupid Parcells saying, "you are what your record says you are," should be fired on the spot and blacklisted from all employment for the rest of their lives.
:th2thumbs:

Yes we've had injuries. But so have the cards, and losing your QB is probably the worse injury any team could get. yet they managed to be the Lions with that. If i remember correctly the Cards game into Clink and beat us last year and our team was healthy at that point in time too. Cards are good.

ringless

Reaction score
I think Seattle will win this game, I just dont see Stanton having what it takes to lead this team to a win in Seattle. I think he will have a three turnover game. Stanton will be the reason we lose.

Something people havent really talked about is the Cardinals defense has only given up more than 20 points in one game of the 10 played. This defense is only giving up one more ppg than last years Seahawks in a record setting year of points scored. On another note, Arians has done some of the best half time adjustments for two years running that I have ever seen.

People like to point at the passing defense and say its an average defense (not seahawks fans) but then neglect the fact that its the third best rush defense. 3 in ppg against.... The defense is also number 1 in QBR in the 4th quarter. #1 in takeways in the 4th. #3 in points against in the 4th, and third in efficency in the fourth as well.

In any case, I think Seattle wins this game by a TD... 20-13

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":3r3g5suy said:
Once again I will quote Chuck Knox from back in the 70's-80's and the quote should be chiseled in stone as it applies more now than ever.....

"It's NOT who you play....It's WHEN you play them."

To get to 9-1 you have to be a good team regardless, but I have seen a few of their games this year and they had the benefit of catching those teams at the right time. Same as the 9ers. Marvin would have you trying to believe that Romo and Manning had terrible games because of the very underwhelming 9er defense. But if you saw those games, you saw otherwise.

Good points.. but you know the difference between Arizona and Seattle right now?

Arizona is finishing football games. We aren't.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ringless":dmd5fyhq said:
I think Seattle will win this game, I just dont see Stanton having what it takes to lead this team to a win in Seattle. I think he will have a three turnover game. Stanton will be the reason we lose.

I mean.. I can definitely see Stanton struggling, and getting picked 2-3 times.. but last year, Palmer threw 4 picks and we still lost.

The game ultimately comes down to the Seahawks offense.. more specifically the passing game.

And sad to say, I don't trust it has enough firepower to get the job done Sunday.

ringless

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1cn1g9vv said:
Makes it tough when half your team is injured.

The Cardinals are in that boat as well, and without their starting QB.... We are missing a lot of players as well, and before you say Stanton and Palmer are equals, keep in mind Palmer was the 9th highest rated QB in the league this year.... He only threw two picks all season. Stanton threw 2 in 8 passes. Seattle had a lot of injuries last year and still found a way to win it all. It is something all teams go through.

kmedic

Reaction score
Bruce Arians loves taking shots down the field. The speedster du jour for them right now is John Brown. Look for Stanton to target him downfield in the seams against Maxwell. I guarantee they will try this a few times at least. Who knows, they might even test Sherm. Last season Maxwell got burned by Palmer in the waning minutes of the game at CLink. Our defense needs to stay disciplined for these moments.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kmedic":ocxsm9dx said:
Bruce Arians loves taking shots down the field. The speedster du jour for them right now is John Brown. Look for Stanton to target him downfield in the seams against Maxwell. I guarantee they will try this a few times at least. Who knows, they might even test Sherm. Last season Maxwell got burned by Palmer in the waning minutes of the game at CLink. Our defense needs to stay disciplined for these moments.

John Brown is a really scary matchup for us.

Was going to make this thread later.. but he's a poor mans T.Y. Hilton .. and we saw what Hilton did to this secondary last year.

Granted, Drew Stanton is not Andrew Luck.. but Brown is going to be a major test. Especially in a game where that one big play could be the difference.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":d6p9ttb5 said:
kmedic":d6p9ttb5 said:

Was going to make this thread later.. but he's a poor mans T.Y. Hilton .. and we saw what Hilton did to this secondary last year.

Granted, Drew Stanton is not Andrew Luck.. but Brown is going to be a major test. Especially in a game where that one big play could be the difference.

With the new rules, I wonder if the corners are able to be physical at LOS. If that's the case, then Max, Sherm, or whoever is assigned to Brown should just knock him on his rear at LOS. Maybe even stick Smith or Irvin on him at the LOS. Irvin likes to be physical...beat him up at the LOS. That way he can't get past them. If you allow him to release, he will burn you. Don't allow him to get out quickly and then the pass rush needs to get to Stanton asap. This is a game if they can get to Stanton, they can rattle him. No team that Arizona has faced up to this point has a secondary the caliber of the Seahawks. Arizona's secondary may be the closest and their offense isn't playing their secondary on game days. It should be a good battle: LOB vs. Cards' passing attack.

marko358

Reaction score
hawkfan68":o71p9yyn said:
Hasselbeck":o71p9yyn said:
kmedic":o71p9yyn said:

With the new rules, I wonder if the corners are able to be physical at LOS. If that's the case, then Max, Sherm, or whoever is assigned to Brown should just knock him on his rear at LOS. Maybe even stick Smith or Irvin on him at the LOS. Irvin likes to be physical...beat him up at the LOS. That way he can't get past them. If you allow him to release, he will burn you. Don't allow him to get out quickly and then the pass rush needs to get to Stanton asap. This is a game if they can get to Stanton, they can rattle him.

We haven't done much of that all year so I doubt we'll start this Sunday.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Arizona's run defense isn't what it was last year. They've lost a lot of good talent on that side of the ball. They're still playing well, but we can run on them, unlike last year.

Now, if we can run on them, it should open up the PA. IF Bevell can pull his head out of his ass, we can beat these guys over the top. They've given up more big plays in the passing game than we have this year.

The other thing to remember: believe it or not, this is the team we can 2nd most afford to lose to (Rams being first). Trust me, I'd rather win here than go into a must win game at their house, but we need to beat Philly, sweep the Niners, and beat AZ at least once. That gives us 10 wins right there.

I think we find a way to win this one.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
I think we're on the verge of putting a more complete game together. Despite the poor run D at KC, I think if nothing else we're "due." Getting Wagner back will help. There's a chance of rain on Sunday too that could make things interesting and maybe we can pound the ball and sustain some long drives. Playing mistake free on O and controlling the time of possession could certainly help our chances.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The only team more overrated than the Lions is the Cardinals.

They beat the Chargers by a point at home.
They beat the Giants on the road by 9
They got blown out by the Broncos
They beat the Skins at home by 10
They beat the Raiders by 11
They beat the Eagles at home by 4
They beat the Cowboys WITHOUT Romo on the road
They beat the Rams at home by 17 (impressive)
They beat the Lions by 8.

I'll give them credit for 9 wins thus far as they deserve it, but I'm not impressed by the teams they beat or the manner by which they beat them. I don't look at the Cards and think, "oh that's a scary team". Their D has been playing well, and they all believe they can win, that's dangerous in this league.

If we get Unger or LJP in a C this week, I'll be feeling pretty confident about a win. I also think we can go into AZ and win. Which means we would only need +1 on their other games:

@ATL (not easy place to go)
vs KC
@ STL
@ SF

Our schedule is no cakewalk either, but I still think our best shot at making the playoffs is through the NFC West.

Does anyone remember the KC Chiefs last year? They started 9-0! What did they finish? 11-5 with a 1st round exit after losing the division.

This will be AZ this year; i'm just not sure if it will be SF or SEA winning the division.

Latest posts