Hauschka re-signs: 3 years/$9 million

sutz

Reaction score
I'm just glad it's done and he'll be a Seahawk for the next couple of seasons. Now, draft a kicker to compete with him and the plan will be complete. ;)

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
sutz":2sla7y4c said:
I'm just glad it's done and he'll be a Seahawk for the next couple of seasons. Now, draft a kicker to compete with him and the plan will be complete. ;)

Lets please NOT draft a kicker, thank you

volsunghawk

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":2dwkkw1w said:
volsunghawk":2dwkkw1w said:
SoulfishHawk":2dwkkw1w said:
No, they did NOT overpay for him. He's the 11th highest paid in the league. And he's clearly top 5, period. 3 mil is the going rate these days for a good kicker.

Yup, Hauschka was 2nd in the league in FG %age last season. That's awesome.

He was tied for 12th the year before.

He was 17th the year before that.

Maybe he's getting better. Or maybe, just maybe, he's like every other kicker in existence and his success rate fluctuates by a few points here and there each year.

Remember Josh Brown? He was awesome for us, right?

Here are his ranks with Seattle and then in the years following:

2005: 30th
2006: 18th
2007: 24th
2008: 16th
2009: 22nd
2010: 13th
2011: 31st
2012: 5th
2013: 17th

See that? Here it is again with Phil Dawson:

2005: 2nd
2006: 28th
2007: 12th
2008: 22nd
2009: 6th
2010: 21st
2011: 19th
2012: 3rd
2013: 14th

So, you find me a kicker that CONSISTENTLY ranks in the top 5 over a stretch of multiple seasons, then I'll agree that he's elite and deserving of more money than every other kicker in the league. But Haushcka isn't that guy.

But again, no big deal. The contract he got is about 750k more per season than I would have given him, but it's done now and a moot point.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... career.htm

8th best % all-time. I'd say he is worth it.

Notice how those top 3 are really, really young guys? Small sample sizes.

And hey, Nate Kaeding ranks 5th. Remember his postseason issues?

jblaze

Reaction score
Getting him at 3/9.15m is a great value. Seems high for a kicker, but comparatively, he'll be the #11 highest paid kicker in the league and he's in the top 3 to me at least.

The only knock on him is the distance and I don't think it's that big of a deal. I'd rather punt it and let our defense dominate than take a 50/50 on a 53+ yd field goal. He fits well with our defensive scheme.

sutz

Reaction score
nyc-seahawk":3gnwgwgl said:
sutz":3gnwgwgl said:

Lets please NOT draft a kicker, thank you
I knew someone would bite.

:laugh:

ivotuk

Reaction score
volsung has a point. I've always felt that Hauschka has had elite ability, but below average motivation. He didn't work on his leg strength until last year, and finally, with the shortened kick off, started getting touchbacks. Why? Because he got cut the fall before and no one would sign him, so he had to accept league minimum to come back to Seattle.

Let's hope that there are plenty of incentives in that contract so that if his motivation falls off after signing a big contract, that he loses money and that Seattle has an easy out if they have to cut him.

Having said all that, I'm glad he's resigned because he's a difference maker in games. The odd thing is, he's the difference in the SF game because he told Pete he didn't think he could make that kick. If not for that, we don't go for it on 4th down and get the Kearse TD. Instead we probably miss the kick, SF gets great field position, and they go on to get a 6th Lombardi.

So Hauschka's value is way up there, it's up to him (and Pete) to keep it there.

G-Money

Reaction score
One less thing to worry about...............good deal for both sides.

Snakeeyes007

Reaction score
chihawk":36hy6259 said:
...and I guess his wife posting pics of popping champagne was indeed for the new contract.

Yes, she posted then pulled the pics down. Premature Twitteration happens sometimes. I don't blame her for being overly excited. Great day for the Hauschka family.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":1ucrk5l4 said:
I've always like Haus which is weird considering a lot of people here complained about him for quite some time.
let's not confuse 2012 with 2013

Kaiser

Reaction score
Clutch non kick in the NFCCG, and every other time we needed him to boot one. Enjoy the cheddar, bobblehead. Youve earned it.