Hauschka re-signs: 3 years/$9 million

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":kef19jys said:
Glad he's only the 11th highest paid kicker. If I was in the negotiations I'd play that clip of him freezing like a chicken S#!* on that 50 yarder vs 49ers.

And if I were Hauschka, I'd show you the clip of the very next play.

theascension

Reaction score
In retrospect you have to wonder if cutting Hauschka and paying Tate 6M a year wouldn't have been better and going with some random kicker? It was said he got a "really" low offer (I'm thinking 4M) from us.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":1eabbfbu said:
Glad he's only the 11th highest paid kicker. If I was in the negotiations I'd play that clip of him freezing like a chicken S#!* on that 50 yarder vs 49ers.
not sure if serious

sutz

Reaction score
Mike Holmgren had the same attitude about kickers as many around here are showing.

I rest my case.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2bqsm6xx said:
Gusty winds + honesty to his coach that resulted in a TD instead, and you say this?

I don't know what "TheReal" in your name is supposed to mean, because you sure aren't real right now. That's some excellent armchair coaching there, dude. Real fine work. We're all impressed.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
RolandDeschain":30leat7o said:
TheRealDTM":30leat7o said:
Gusty winds + honesty to his coach that resulted in a TD instead, and you say this?

I don't know what "TheReal" in your name is supposed to mean, because you sure aren't real right now. That's some excellent armchair coaching there, dude. Real fine work. We're all impressed.

What we really needed was a kicker who lied to his coach about his confidence in a field goal in that situation, so that instead of getting a touchdown there, we'd have turned the ball over to the 49ers with great field position. Yep. That's exactly what we needed.

If I'm a coach, I'll take straight up, no hyperbole honesty from a player ten days out of nine. At least that way I can make an honest decision when I need to.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
theascension":3ju2kvfj said:
In retrospect you have to wonder if cutting Hauschka and paying Tate 6M a year wouldn't have been better and going with some random kicker? It was said he got a "really" low offer (I'm thinking 4M) from us.
Not thinking you'd like the result of that. Believe it or not Houscka signed for a reasonable number.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":36do15i6 said:
RolandDeschain":36do15i6 said:
TheRealDTM":36do15i6 said:

What we really needed was a kicker who lied to his coach about his confidence in a field goal in that situation, so that instead of getting a touchdown there, we'd have turned the ball over to the 49ers with great field position. Yep. That's exactly what we needed.

If I'm a coach, I'll take straight up, no hyperbole honesty from a player ten days out of nine. At least that way I can make an honest decision when I need to.

I'm concerned that he had debilitating doubt, he froze and cost us a timeout. The armchair part is talking about the following play. If you watch the sound fx on it (and i'll try to find a link) its very strange and pete is pissed.

Edit: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sou ... Bowl-berth
He's literally so nervous he can't talk, he's a great kicker but my only concern is if he's in that situation again. Like I said I'm very glad we locked him up as the 11th highest paid kicker, I don't think he's top 5.

An aside, no reason to get personal, can't think of anything more real then giving my actual opinion.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":3r1xe4rz said:
Seahawk Sailor":3r1xe4rz said:
RolandDeschain":3r1xe4rz said:
TheRealDTM":3r1xe4rz said:

I'm concerned that he had debilitating doubt, he froze and cost us a timeout. The armchair part is talking about the following play. If you watch the sound fx on it (and i'll try to find a link) its very strange and pete is pissed.

An aside, no reason to get personal, can't think of anything more real then giving my actual opinion.

I don't see where you're seeing that Pete Carroll is pissed. Along with the comments after the game saying:

I love the honesty,” Carroll said Monday. “Most guys go and say ‘I can make it’ and go out there and plunk it down at the goal line. I thought it was a great moment for us and it was a great decision.”

Fast forward to around 8:30 minute mark
[youtube]XV31ElYvpNM[/youtube]

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
-The Glove-":tpvp99jd said:
TheRealDTM":tpvp99jd said:
Seahawk Sailor":tpvp99jd said:
TheRealDTM":tpvp99jd said:

I mean he's Pete Carroll :mrgreen: his angry voice probably sounds like everyone elses slightly irritated, but when he says "we have to kick that man, we have to kick that," he had time later and obviously your kicker has to have confidence pete can't go out and say, yeah i was worried about Haush he really froze up out there. But I can :thirishdrinkers: . I get where you guys are coming from he's a incredibly accurate and reliable kicker<50yards, but I'm glad we didn't overspend for him; I don't see him hitting a Vinateri 53 yard game winner in weather.

Gametime

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":vttlg9wf said:
RolandDeschain":vttlg9wf said:
TheRealDTM":vttlg9wf said:

Can't say it better. So I won't try.

nsport

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":2zlotupg said:

I totally agree. He got out there and sized it up in his home stadium then he came back and made the call to Pete. I'd rather have Pete make a decision based on all the information and at least try to force a penalty like they discussed. If they didn't jump they would have ran the clock and buried the Niners inside the 5 with a punt. Pretty sure conservative play calling would have gotten us the ball back 2 minutes later with a similar field position.

I'm happy we resigned Hauschka - he is one of the league's better kickers and a known commodity.

dbmack

Reaction score
Jon Ryan ‏@JonRyan9
Me when Steve signed this morning. @Seahawks pic.twitter.com/5NFu1iimNY

Bi VDK7CMAE3m5T

themunn

Reaction score
Scoring a TD on 4th and 7 is not vindication of Hauschka's decision not to kick it in the NFCCG, you have to look at the two plays separately.

It doesn't fill me with confidence that we may run out there one day in the 4th quarter, 2 points down with 3 seconds to play, needing a 50 yard FG to win it, and Hauschka doesn't think he can make it. Should we just run out Wilson and score a TD on that play too?

HawkMeat

Reaction score
themunn":12hyi2xj said:
Scoring a TD on 4th and 7 is not vindication of Hauschka's decision not to kick it in the NFCCG, you have to look at the two plays separately.

It doesn't fill me with confidence that we may run out there one day in the 4th quarter, 2 points down with 3 seconds to play, needing a 50 yard FG to win it, and Hauschka doesn't think he can make it. Should we just run out Wilson and score a TD on that play too?
I agree with this a bit. I like he was honest, but I've seen him have that look at least twice last season. The look where he is not very confident. Just by his expression he was going to miss, so glad he didn't kick it.

themunn

Reaction score
HawkMeat":dg1pkszs said:
themunn":dg1pkszs said:

I agree with this a bit. I like he was honest, but I've seen him have that look at least twice last season. The look where he is not very confident. Just by his expression he was going to miss, so glad he didn't kick it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% glad we managed to keep him, I just think 11th best salary is about right. I'd rather have him than 2012 David Akers for example, who hit a 63 yarder in Green Bay of all places, but was a pathetic 29/42 for the season, with 4 games where he missed 2 FGs. A guy who can hit it from less than 50 yards almost automatically has more value than a guy who can hit it 60 yards but misses often. But at the same time, when a game is tight and could be decided by a FG, I still want a guy with the confidence to step up and hit it. I think his leg is strong enough, but he needs some more game attempts, it can't help that Carroll doesn't stick him out there and let him try more often - unless it really is Hauschka in his ear saying "I don't think I can make it"

volsunghawk

Reaction score
themunn":1jbifnah said:

There were 14 minutes left in the game when Hauschka made that call. Do you think that Hauschka is ignorant of the time left in the game and that he would treat all scenarios exactly the same?

In the actual, not taking the kick leaves the team the option of going for it on 4th down or punting and pinning the 49ers at their own goal line with the confidence that the team's outstanding defense will get the offense the ball back with good field position. In fact, we see teams do this all the time. They line up to go for it and try to get the free offsides play. If they don't they take a delay of game, move back 5 yards, and have more room to work with for the punt.

In your scenario, the only option is the FG. And we've seen Hauschka attempt plenty of late FGs... even ones out of his range.

Oh, and Real DTM guy? Vinatieri has missed about half the 50+ yard FG attempts he's taken in his career. He's only ever made 7 from 53+. 4 of those were in a dome. And none of them were in the postseason.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
themunn":32wjbxj3 said:

How do you know it wasn't a completely logic-based decision? Look at the NOLA playoff game if you want evidence of confidence. Maybe he is just so in-tune with being a kicker, he knew that as soon as the ball left his foot, there was too much going on with the weather at that distance to feel good about it.

But, let's just hate on a guy, I know that's the easiest way to do it.