Get real time.........Season a bust?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":8viqdz43 said:
Sgt. Largent":8viqdz43 said:
seahawkfreak":8viqdz43 said:
Sgt. Largent":8viqdz43 said:
Fair enough, but I've been on this board all day and I've yet to read more than one "one and done" post.

So not sure where you're seeing the posts from people thinking we won't even win a home playoff game. Most of the concern now is having to play 3 games AND go on the road for two of them.

I could post them but I didn't even want to post the last one so I guess it will do. The problem I see from taking this point of view is it prevents one from enjoying a playoff win if we do win one. You are basically saying, "yeah we got the first win but it doesn't matter, there is no chance we are winning anymore so why even bother". I mean, why even watch anymore games right?

It's the downside of having such a great team that has SB aspirations..........when you don't get there, or in this case don't THINK you'll get there, you're bummed out.

That's where I'm at. I'm still hoping for the best, but I don't expect us to go past the first round with how poorly we're playing and all the terrible injuries. I just don't. Doesn't mean I'm a bad fan or being negative.

Yeah I get that disappointment. I was thinking this would be similar to our 2014 run except winning the SB. I probably still am hanging on the possibility of a late run and the only reason I have that is because of the Atlanta and New England games.

The 2014 team closed the season on a tear, idk how they compare whatsoever to the 2016 team. This years Seahawks team feels more like a Holmgren team than a Pete Carroll one.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
The 2014 team closed the season on a tear, idk how they compare whatsoever to the 2016 team. This years Seahawks team feels more like a Holmgren team than a Pete Carroll one.

Hadn't thought of it like that, buy you're right.

It also goes to the different feeling/tone from Pete this season - especially the last few weeks. Don't know if he's a bit burnt out or confused/frustrated, but just like the rest of the team, Carroll is off from previous years as well.

drdiags

Reaction score
Just hope that when/if the team goes out this year they go out like they did in Atlanta versus how they got clocked in Charlotte (though both had late game heroics). Would be a kick to the nuts to lose on a game like the horror that was this year's Packers game.

I will be hanging on the thin thread of hope that things can get turned around but this has been a curious year. Right now the NFL gods seem to be pointing to a Dallas/Patriots SB. Maybe there are some strong spoilers lurking out there?

No way is the season a bust. The team has a chance in the playoffs, what more can you expect. Atlanta trips up and the Seahawks don't fall on their faces in SF, you get to hang around a little longer before you know the final call.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SpokaneHawks":9cjs9dmn said:
Every single NFC team making the playoffs is better than us this year! If you can't see that, your "12" goggles must be foggy.

Redskins at 8-6-1 scare few people. They lost to teams like Arizona and Carolina, and yet if they win, they're in.

Detroit is on a two-game losing streak and just gave up 42 points in a game where they could have clinched the playoffs, against Dallas, who was playing for absolutely nothing at all. They could make the playoffs on a three-game slide. And Stafford is dinged up.

Tampa Bay, while they did beat us in their home, is on a two-game skid. Should they make the playoffs, we would be favored at home against them.

Green Bay, yes even Green Bay, has some issues. They went on a late season tear, and yes, they did slaughter us. But in a revenge game at home against them, they won't do as well. And to win the Super Bowl, they'd likely have to win eight or nine games in a row, something that is hard to accomplish, especially against top teams.

New York Giants have lost to Philadelphia, Washington, Minnesota. In a game where they could have clinched a playoff berth, they choked against Philly. And if Washington makes the playoffs, they'll be heading to the postseason on a two-game slide. "Bad Eli" shows up, and it's curtains on Broadway.

Atlanta lost to San Diego and Philadelphia. We beat them head to head. And if we end up as the #2 seed, they'll have lost to New Orleans. They score a lot of points, but then we saw how that model worked out for Denver a couple of years ago. And they give up a ton of points too.

Dallas looks legitimate this year, but a rookie quarterback against a good defense in the playoffs is often a recipe for disaster. And they don't have the home field advantage most other teams enjoy.

I'm not saying any of these teams are necessarily worse than the Seahawks. I'm not saying Seattle is the best team, not by a long shot. But arguments can easily be made that at least several of them are indeed not better than we are, and all of them can be beaten.

SeaChat

Reaction score
The one thing I've learned in 40 seasons as a Seahawk fan, is to never say never. The year they won the Super Bowl, they pulled nearly every game getting them there out of their ass.

Russell Wilson is no quitter, he fulfills the quote, that when the going gets tough, the tough get going, and so do the majority of the other players on the Seahawk team.

It's going to take some winds blowing our direction in terms of good fortune to get to the Super Bowl this year, but there is still no reason that the Seahawks can't beat any team out there, if they are on their game. If ever a team had a way of getting their heads back on track when they needed to the most it is the Seattle Seahawks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you give up on the Seahawks in any game you are going to miss some of the greatest moments in professional football and certainly some of the greatest moments in Seahawk history. Had our defense held up better in this last game with Arizona, we would have won easily. This time it was the defense that let us down not the offense. They both need to get it right from here on out or we are done. That is not an opinion, it's a fact.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8vaaseut said:
seahawkfreak":8vaaseut said:
Yeah I get that disappointment. I was thinking this would be similar to our 2014 run except winning the SB. I probably still am hanging on the possibility of a late run and the only reason I have that is because of the Atlanta and New England games.

Because they don't compare. When I said, "I was thinking this would be similar to our 2014 run except winning the SB" I was implying at the beginning of this season. I didn't say 2013 because the NFL still did not recognize our greatness yet. 2014 it was no surprise.

There was a lot of talk in the preseason by players and coaches on how this preseason felt better than the 2013 preseason.

HawkEye

Reaction score
9+ wins and a division championship a bust?

Man, it's good you're not a Browns fan.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Random Thoughts:

1. The season is not a bust, as it is not over yet (it's trending in that direction, however).
2. The season, so far, is a massive disappointment.
3. The record, which admittedly is all that matters, doesn't match the quality of play.
4. We've had multiple duds.
5. Our team feels "busted." No consistency at all.
6. There are very rational reasons why we've struggled: injuries, OL play, etc.
7. We are a talented team, but quite frankly not a very good one (by talent/recent historical standards).

What my gut says:

This feels like PC's end of run at USC. Major talent. Major inconsistency. Big personalities clashing. Team feels more like a collection of celebrities, not football players. The Seahawks identity feels like a bromide, not an actual culture.

What my optimism says:

This is just one of those years. Murphy's law, which we were due for. There are no systemic issues in the locker room, it just so happens that a group of Alphas are struggling with a down season.

I hope my optimistic take is correct. I'm afraid my gut might be right.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The season could still turn out to be special if Atlanta loses and the real Seahawks team decides to show up early enough in Santa Clara.

Sucks the team doesn't control it's destiny in obtaining the 2 seed.

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
During the entire decade of the '90's I would have given my left nut for a division title and a home playoff game. This has been a rather surprising and frustrating season but I'll take it as opposed to many other lackluster ones.

onepicknick

Reaction score
I believe we might win one game in the playoffs because were at home but were rank number 8 now. We might get lit up in the game it could go either way I'm good with where we are this year but next year we need someone who can evaluate and coach OL and DL talent.

The Lynch Era is over he made it look to easy he made a bad line look good heck he made everybody look good I hope they part ways with some of the coaching staff not PC and get back to playing Seahawk football that we all come to love.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Basis4day":196ies5j said:
Seahawk Sailor":196ies5j said:
A probability of 10-5-1 on the season, division winners, at worst the #4 seed in the playoffs and at best the #2. Yeah, total bust. 8)

I just don't understand how a season can be called a bust when they have made the playoffs, have yet to be eliminated from the playoffs, and the playoffs have yet to start.

Is this year as fun as 2012 or 2013? No, it's not.

But this is a conversation following elimination from the playoffs.

A sober calm rational post amongst much negativity. Completely agree. Are the Hawks the best team in the NFC, probably not but the future is still bright with a few tweaks.

We all need to reflect on how good a team the FO has given us here. Does it have flaws? Absolutely, and those flaws may prove fatal to a deep successful playoff run this season, but the flaws are pretty obvious and quite fixable with a slight focus change by the FO.

What is more frustrating than anything watching the team is how consistently inconsistent the team seems to play, and we see the solid play and wonder what is so wrong when they suck, or why they don't play as well as they can.. The lack of a physical running presence hurts the rest of the O with 4/5 of the OLine looking like Matadors, and Wilson getting hammered or unable to have enough time to even find a throw away option or an open receiver. Fix the running game and fix the OLine and things start to look immeasurably better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How can we say if the season is a bust when the playoffs haven't even started? Assuming they are toast? Meh, no thanks.

RussB

Reaction score
Im always postitive about this team. But im also a realist, and after seeing how they have looked some of the past few weeks you have to call a spade a spade.

1.They have no run game and the o line is terrible, russ is running for his life half of the time.

2.Offensive playcalling also isnt benefitting them in any way

3.Defense missing earl thomas and seems shakier every time they play

4.Lockett out

Also just in general they just havent really looked good lately even when they win. D giving up Td's left and right, offense completely crapping the bed with no step in the right direction. They just dont really seem like a team who is ready to make a run this year , they have too many flaws and the injury to ET hurt them more than everyone thought.Of course they can still make a run but i have to see it to believe it.

mrt144

Reaction score
I wouldn't say bust but its been underwhelming and inconsistent. Given the state of the team in 2015 and now 2016, I have no doubt that the same issues we have on both sides of the ball will still be there next year - good to great D Lines will wreck us, our defense will have a handful of lapses that cost us a couple of games. We are creeping from good down to average and the inconsistency from game to game is reflective of that.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3khwv4gx said:
A probability of 10-5-1 on the season, division winners, at worst the #4 seed in the playoffs and at best the #2. Yeah, total bust. 8)

Good post.

Yep, winning the division is a bust, 10-5-1 is a bust, at worst the #4 seed in the playoffs and at best the #2 is a bust. Add to that 2 consecutive SB appearances and playoff appearances in every season since the new regime must also indicate a bust. Not to me but apparently to few here. Perspective seems to be be missing a few here, and if the team isn't laying steady 40 burgers on opposing teams, and sacking their QB on every play or running for 200 yards a game then the season is a bust.

Maybe some here don't think the Seahawks are playing professional football against professional players that are actually pretty good players who also want to win. I don't get it, but do understand the disappointment of not winning all the time, but reality bites. someone in another thread has said there are likely 25+ other fanbases that would love to have the season the Seahawks are having and the team the Seahawks have. We have become quite spoiled here and a few of expectations are unrealistically out of sinc with the reality that the other teams show up with every intention to kick our team's rear end.

Things are far from perfect in Seattle and our OLine, running game, pass rush, play calling and play execution could all be better in somecases by a whole lot, but all in all things are far from being a bust. Maybe it isn't quite as much fun watching the team this season and it is often frustrating to watch the same mistakes, but the season is far from a bust and could turn out to be special if the O could find it's mojo and become consistent.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":658139dn said:
10-5-1 is a nice record if you're a team vying to turn into a contender, it's not the record you have in mind for a Super Bowl caliber roster. This team pissed away 4 games it had no business losing, then very big injuries hit at the worst time.. So yeah barring an unforeseen playoff run, this season feels like a wasted opportunity for me.

My friend, this season isn't over yet, and those piddled away 4 games could easily become a learning experience and the thrashing taken against GB a humbling experience that takes away some sense of "it's easy" from the team. If the team wins this Sunday and Atlanta loses, then the team goes 3-0 after that, the team would have a 13-5-1 record and another Lombardi. If Atlanta hangs on to the 2 seed then a four game streak with 3 on the road could still see the blue, green ad white confetti flying as the team hoists it's 2nd Lombardi, not then a wasted opportunity.

I think we should keep some perspective here, a divisional win is nothing to sniff at regardless of the disappointment caused by the AZ, TB, NO, and LA losses which all were give aways. The tie was an epic fail by our kicker and the GB game a total team meltdown, the first since 2009. I hated the AZ loss because the team seemed to melt after the missed extra point after an exciting comeback. I still haven't watched the fiasco in GB but saw enough replayed horrid picks, lousy blocking, and weak defensive effort to last a season. Sometimes you lose and there isn't much you can do.

I'll wait until the season is over before voting whether it was a bust, even if I think the team needs to get it's stuff together.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2x57qtce said:
Hasselbeck":2x57qtce said:
10-5-1 is a nice record if you're a team vying to turn into a contender, it's not the record you have in mind for a Super Bowl caliber roster. This team pissed away 4 games it had no business losing, then very big injuries hit at the worst time.. So yeah barring an unforeseen playoff run, this season feels like a wasted opportunity for me.

My friend, this season isn't over yet, and those piddled away 4 games could easily become a learning experience and the thrashing taken against GB a humbling experience that takes away some sense of "it's easy" from the team. If the team wins this Sunday and Atlanta loses, then the team goes 3-0 after that, the team would have a 13-5-1 record and another Lombardi. If Atlanta hangs on to the 2 seed then a four game streak with 3 on the road could still see the blue, green ad white confetti flying as the team hoists it's 2nd Lombardi, not then a wasted opportunity.

I think we should keep some perspective here, a divisional win is nothing to sniff at regardless of the disappointment caused by the AZ, TB, NO, and LA losses which all were give aways. The tie was an epic fail by our kicker and the GB game a total team meltdown, the first since 2009. I hated the AZ loss because the team seemed to melt after the missed extra point after an exciting comeback. I still haven't watched the fiasco in GB but saw enough replayed horrid picks, lousy blocking, and weak defensive effort to last a season. Sometimes you lose and there isn't much you can do.

I'll wait until the season is over before voting whether it was a bust, even if I think the team needs to get it's stuff together.

Fair assessment. I do agree there is a lot of football yet to be played, and this season has proven many times over that this is a very unpredictable sport.

I just keep going back to those four games we booted, and how the league as a whole is collectively down this season, and how we've already beat the odds on favorite to win the whole enchilada .. IN THEIR HOUSE, and it just makes me shake my head in disappointment. We had such a great chance to get back to the podium hoisting a Lombardi amongst a shower of confetti and now we're back to praying for some help from a team with nothing to play for to put us back in a good position to get there. Like I said earlier, this is more Holmgren like than Carroll.

Here's to hoping they figure it out - and fast.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I'm not saying that everyone is wrong to be disappointed with this year. If you look at the games the only one we really should have lost was GB, the others we essentially choked away victories. Either the offense let down the D or vice versa.

However, I do want to point out that everyone is focusing on our losses and not our wins. We have had some good wins this year. Obviously NE, but also ATL and CAR (who beat a WAS team in their house - who needed to win). If you want to look at 4 bad losses, you need to look at the 3-4 good wins we've had this year as well.

This team is inconsistent. I don't particularly think that will change, but they do have the chance to beat literally anyone this year if they can put a good game together. I'm not going to go into the playoffs with expectations of a superbowl but I will happily watch my team and root for them to win. There have been MANY superbowl teams that were not the best team that year but happened to chug through the playoffs to a championship.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Archer":dvfjznnv said:
I'm not saying that everyone is wrong to be disappointed with this year. If you look at the games the only one we really should have lost was GB, the others we essentially choked away victories. Either the offense let down the D or vice versa.

Did you not see the Tampa game? Got our poop pushed in for 60 minutes.