Get real time.........Season a bust?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Steve2222":xnydf37s said:
Popeyejones":xnydf37s said:
Going 10-5-1 and winning your division and maybe more is a bust of a season?

Nah, not even close.

When you started 4-1, beat a tough Patriots team that no one else seems to be able to do.....to just totally fall apart in November and December, then yeah the season kind of feels like a bust. Especially when we had a quarter mile lead on the all too important first round bye just to piss it away.

Regardless how it feels. Winning the division is not a bust season.

Steve2222

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2w40t6oz said:
Steve2222":2w40t6oz said:
Popeyejones":2w40t6oz said:
Going 10-5-1 and winning your division and maybe more is a bust of a season?

Nah, not even close.

When you started 4-1, beat a tough Patriots team that no one else seems to be able to do.....to just totally fall apart in November and December, then yeah the season kind of feels like a bust. Especially when we had a quarter mile lead on the all too important first round bye just to piss it away.

Regardless how it feels. Winning the division is not a bust season.

The Cowboys winning the division is a success. The Raiders winning the division is a success. Teams like Seattle, New England, Green Bay, and Pittsburgh expect more. Losing in the first round of the playoffs this season would be a huge bust.

OP
OP
S

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
chris98251":1y04j3cg said:
Bust, no, disappointing yes, we have not imposed our will or shown dominance week in and week out all year, were still playing musical chairs with the O line in the 16th regular season game, that in itself shows there is a problem and that were in a disarray of sorts, our depth is not as good as we were told at the beginning of the season by Pete, remember stating this is the best group we have ever had.

Whether we go deep or even win it all there are concerns that need to be addressed and looked at hard and adjusted, we may be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, there isn't a team out there this season that can claim the title Team to beat and not have holes in them to exploit. But were going to have one of the more interesting off seasons going forward, maybe as interesting as our first year.
1976?

chris98251

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1k90c8wf said:
chris98251":1k90c8wf said:
Bust, no, disappointing yes, we have not imposed our will or shown dominance week in and week out all year, were still playing musical chairs with the O line in the 16th regular season game, that in itself shows there is a problem and that were in a disarray of sorts, our depth is not as good as we were told at the beginning of the season by Pete, remember stating this is the best group we have ever had.

Whether we go deep or even win it all there are concerns that need to be addressed and looked at hard and adjusted, we may be able to pull a rabbit out of a hat, there isn't a team out there this season that can claim the title Team to beat and not have holes in them to exploit. But were going to have one of the more interesting off seasons going forward, maybe as interesting as our first year.
1976?

That was interesting also our first year under Pete then for you that want to be umm literalists, Getting Ahmad Rashad and trading him to the Vikings for D line men, The Tony Dorsett Draft day trade were also interesting.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MontanaHawk05":22zefu5o said:
SpokaneHawks":22zefu5o said:
It wouldn't shock me if SAN Fran beats us.

It would shock me.

Every team that's beaten us so far was severely underrated by most fans. The Cardinals have talent. The Rams have talent. Drew Brees had a hot year. The Bucs have promise. The Packers are never to be dismissed. The 49ers, on the other hand, are one of the league's worst teams. We should be fine.

Exactly.

The Cardinals are a middle-of-the-road team, not a crappy one at all, and have always played very well under Carson in Seattle. That loss should have come as absolutely no surprise.

The Rams always play us tough, especially in their house. And don't forget the hype they came into that game with, as it was the home opener for that stadium and city against a hated division rival.

The Saints are a middle-of-the-road team with a Hall of Fame quarterback. At the time, they were right in the hunt for their division title.

The Bucs are an even better team than the Saints this year, and have been in contention for their division title all year. Add to that the fact it was a trip clear across the States. Only way you get further from home playing a game is to head to London, England.

The Packers could well go 10-6 and win their division. They also have a Hall of Fame quarterback. A game at Lambeau Field was penciled in as a loss by probably most to start this year. No surprise.

The 49ers, on the other hand, have given up 455 points, the most in the league, and 169 more than they've scored. The only team worse than them this year is the Cleveland Browns, who were winless until just last week. If we lose in Santa Clara next week, you can think about panicking. Until then, we're still in the driver's seat and headed for a playoff run.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1g7w71kn said:
MontanaHawk05":1g7w71kn said:
SpokaneHawks":1g7w71kn said:
It wouldn't shock me if SAN Fran beats us.

It would shock me.

Every team that's beaten us so far was severely underrated by most fans. The Cardinals have talent. The Rams have talent. Drew Brees had a hot year. The Bucs have promise. The Packers are never to be dismissed. The 49ers, on the other hand, are one of the league's worst teams. We should be fine.

Exactly.

The Cardinals are a middle-of-the-road team, not a crappy one at all, and have always played very well under Carson in Seattle. That loss should have come as absolutely no surprise.

The Rams always play us tough, especially in their house. And don't forget the hype they came into that game with, as it was the home opener for that stadium and city against a hated division rival.

The Saints are a middle-of-the-road team with a Hall of Fame quarterback. At the time, they were right in the hunt for their division title.

The Bucs are an even better team than the Saints this year, and have been in contention for their division title all year. Add to that the fact it was a trip clear across the States. Only way you get further from home playing a game is to head to London, England.

The Packers could well go 10-6 and win their division. They also have a Hall of Fame quarterback. A game at Lambeau Field was penciled in as a loss by probably most to start this year. No surprise.

The 49ers, on the other hand, have given up 455 points, the most in the league, and 169 more than they've scored. The only team worse than them this year is the Cleveland Browns, who were winless until just last week. If we lose in Santa Clara next week, you can think about panicking. Until then, we're still in the driver's seat and headed for a playoff run.

I would argue it's not about winning it's how we win or how we lose, the team still has issues and winning in SC by a last second field goal against a team like the 49ers would not make me feel all fluffy inside.

strohmin

Reaction score
This season is an absolute bust even though I have watched many bad hawks teams from the 90s. If Pete and Russell hadn't opened their mouth regarding how good this team is, then I wouldn't mind that much how the season went. I had high expectations this year hoping to salvage from that superbowl what would have been a great dynasty. This team would be in first place if it weren't for this trash offense led by a struggling Russell. I don't even know why he put on so much weight. I feel like the reason he got injured this year was because he was slower.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
chris98251":1yulqy7z said:
I would argue it's not about winning it's how we win or how we lose, the team still has issues and winning in SC by a last second field goal against a team like the 49ers would not make me feel all fluffy inside.

True that. And yes, they'll play us far tougher than many here will be comfortable with. Parity in the NFL and playing a division rival on the road will be the major factors, whether we acknowledge that or not.

I still think it'll be a fairly comfortable win. Close at first, like most Seahawks games are, and then pull away to a comfortable lead late. Never really in question, but close enough at first to make most here uncomfortable.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
chris98251":1ik938vf said:

I remember a season where the Seahawks barely beat a Houston team that finished 2-14 that year, and a Bucs team that was winless at the time we played them - AT HOME.

That was our Super Bowl year.

It isn't about tendencies. We have the talent. At some point, it's about going 1-0 every week. I'm not guaranteeing a win, but we've faced gutty situations before and come out. The players just need to get their heads right.

You don't have to dominate week in and week out to win the Super Bowl.

chris98251

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":5uc2vwwb said:
chris98251":5uc2vwwb said:

I remember a season where the Seahawks barely beat a Houston team that finished 2-14 that year, and a Bucs team that was winless at the time we played them - AT HOME.

That was our Super Bowl year.

It isn't about tendencies. We have the talent. At some point, it's about going 1-0 every week. I'm not guaranteeing a win, but we've faced gutty situations before and come out. The players just need to get their heads right.

You don't have to dominate week in and week out to win the Super Bowl.

Those teams were teams that when called upon or provoked could impose their will offense or defensively on a team, when playing for pride or motivated would bury a opposing team. Have yet to see that from this current roster.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
A bust?! Seriously?? If a division crown is your definition of a bust then what was last year? A train wreck? A dumpster fire? Last year they had to play in the playoffs as a wildcard. This year they are division champions with a very good possibility of a bye week. Bust? There has been exactly one year in the history of the NFL that a team has gone undefeated and won the Super Bowl. I seriously think some people wouldn't be satisfied unless they won every game 42-0.

Steve2222

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2cf5qi6s said:
A bust?! Seriously?? If a division crown is your definition of a bust then what was last year? A train wreck? A dumpster fire? Last year they had to play in the playoffs as a wildcard. This year they are division champions with a very good possibility of a bye week. Bust? There has been exactly one year in the history of the NFL that a team has gone undefeated and won the Super Bowl. I seriously think some people wouldn't be satisfied unless they won every game 42-0.

The Seahawks are going to end up a tied game better than last year. The NFC West was horrible this year. That's why we won the division.

Seattle was a way better team in 2015 than they were in 2016. Just because they won the division this year doesn't mean they were better this year. Just because we have had an amazing run doe not mean we can't be disappointed in the teams current flaws. Accepting this teams woes because how great they've been is the definition of being in content with ones self. **** that, I want to continue to compete for Super Bowl trophies. Not be happy with a lame ass division championship.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
Steve2222":3rnh4o32 said:
oldhawkfan":3rnh4o32 said:

The Seahawks are going to end up a tied game better than last year. The NFC West was horrible this year. That's why we won the division.

Seattle was a way better team in 2015 than they were in 2016. Just because they won the division this year doesn't mean they were better this year. Just because we have had an amazing run doe not mean we can't be disappointed in the teams current flaws. Accepting this teams woes because how great they've been is the definition of being in content with ones self. **** that, I want to continue to compete for Super Bowl trophies. Not be happy with a lame ass division championship.

Denver was a way better team in 2013 than they were in 2015. What's your point?

Steve2222

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1d5aknfl said:
Steve2222":1d5aknfl said:
oldhawkfan":1d5aknfl said:

Denver was a way better team in 2013 than they were in 2015. What's your point?

No they weren't

And my point is nobody was freaking out last year because the Seahawks were a good team last year. This year unfortunately our bargain bin OL finally caught up to us.

Rickomatic

Reaction score
Rat":39x0al1m said:
semiahmoo":39x0al1m said:
Rat":39x0al1m said:
The regular season has been disappointing. The season as a whole won't be a bust if we make a deep playoff run.

Agreed, but concerned that deep run won't materialize based on the current negative dynamics of our Hawks right now.

But praying they somehow prove those concerns wrong.

It's hard to not see this team as a threat in the playoffs with all their recent experience. We won't be the favorites, but nobody will want to play us either.

Seriously? The Hawks have lost 3 of their last 5 games. They are not a team getting hot for the playoffs. They are stumbling into them. The injuries are just salt in the wound.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":2vjve14h said:
IMO, I can't help but feel this season has gone up in flames. It wouldn't shock me if SAN Fran beats us. Definitely a free fall into the playoffs. No run game, can't protect the QB, inept play calling, Jimmy Graham not getting his name called, Lockett out, and now we need to count on Kearse again. Now for the D, sorry state also, the backup for Earl will nEver replace him and I think that's the biggest deal at the moment, but aside from Sherm, our DB's look like the re-incarnation of Kelly Jennings. Sherm's stirring the pot, Graham looks pissed, Rawls ain't the answer, and IMO, Russ is nursing an injury to get through the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he needs some sort of surgery after the season. So what now? Well I don't think we've got enough firepower to beat anybody at the moment. So in my mind any wins will be a bonus, but I think it's all but over.
It's a bust for the folks that have "Quit" in their minds. <--------I'm not one of them.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Rickomatic":3lx2av3y said:
Rat":3lx2av3y said:
semiahmoo":3lx2av3y said:
Rat":3lx2av3y said:
The regular season has been disappointing. The season as a whole won't be a bust if we make a deep playoff run.

Agreed, but concerned that deep run won't materialize based on the current negative dynamics of our Hawks right now.

But praying they somehow prove those concerns wrong.

It's hard to not see this team as a threat in the playoffs with all their recent experience. We won't be the favorites, but nobody will want to play us either.

Seriously? The Hawks have lost 3 of their last 5 games. They are not a team getting hot for the playoffs. They are stumbling into them. The injuries are just salt in the wound.

Yeah I don't think any team is going to fear playing Seattle in the playoffs. They aren't bullies this year, their OL is on of the all time worst, they're decimated by injury, can't win on the road, and outside of Sherman, their secondary can't cover anything.

We might win a fluke game at home in the WC round, but there's no way we're going into the Georgia Dome and beating the high flying Falcons. We won't be able to keep up with them in a shoot out.

chris98251

Reaction score
scutterhawk":zf11cw7u said:
SpokaneHawks":zf11cw7u said:
IMO, I can't help but feel this season has gone up in flames. It wouldn't shock me if SAN Fran beats us. Definitely a free fall into the playoffs. No run game, can't protect the QB, inept play calling, Jimmy Graham not getting his name called, Lockett out, and now we need to count on Kearse again. Now for the D, sorry state also, the backup for Earl will nEver replace him and I think that's the biggest deal at the moment, but aside from Sherm, our DB's look like the re-incarnation of Kelly Jennings. Sherm's stirring the pot, Graham looks pissed, Rawls ain't the answer, and IMO, Russ is nursing an injury to get through the season and I wouldn't be surprised if he needs some sort of surgery after the season. So what now? Well I don't think we've got enough firepower to beat anybody at the moment. So in my mind any wins will be a bonus, but I think it's all but over.
It's a bust for the folks that have "Quit" in their minds. <--------I'm not one of them.

There is quit and there is reality, would you drive down a road with a bridge that was out and keep going when you got there using faith that it will be whole when you cross it?

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
There's also a big difference between understanding you're not as good as you want even if you are division winners and playoff bound, and throwing in the towel because you're not 13-3 and clearly the best team in the league.

Cleveland's season is a bust. San Francisco's season is a bust. Los Angeles' season is a bust. Chicago's season is a bust.

Denver's season is disappointing, considering they entered the season as defending Super Bowl champions. Carolina's season is disappointing considering the expectations for a 15-1 conference champion. Neither made the playoffs. Carolina, at 6-10, could well be considered a bust.

We're calling our season a bust because we're not a juggernaut this year, even in spite of key injuries to safeties, running backs, defensive pass rushers, and quarterback, we won the division and still could get the #2 seed in the playoffs.

It's more disappointing than we'd like. It's a letdown to lose games we think we should have won. It's not a bust to win the division and be headed to the postseason. Many teams have been considered "losers" going into the playoffs, and completely written off. Several "bad" #5 or #6 seeds have won it all. Several teams have looked like they were crumbling going into the playoffs only to see success there. In fact, we were completely written off in 2010 when we came in at 7-9 and killed the 11-5 Saints' chances to repeat as Super Bowl champions in the playoffs.

Unless you're satisfied with only the best, and go all emo over anything but a Super Bowl trophy, this season is certainly not a bust.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
It isn't "quitting" to discuss "reality" as you see it.

Some may have a different version of reality, and more power to them.

Isn't that what a big part of a board like this is all about - an exchange of ideas/perceptions/viewpoints?

As someone else already said, Hawks 2016 don't appear to have the ability to go out and impose its will on team as recent previous versions did. That's just the way it is.

Doesn't mean people love them any less for pointing that out.