Geno Smith QB School

sutz

Reaction score
Not to take anything away from Geno because he executed this game almost perfectly, but we're finally seeing some 21st Century play design from our new OC and coaching staff. In some ways, it's still "old school" in that we have an active running game, but the blocking schemes and route trees we're seeing is pretty leading edge creative, IMO. Imagine that, designing routes that highlight our players' skill sets and taking advantage of what the defense is doing instead of the old "you go long" stuff we used to see.

Sorry for the old/new comparison comment, but we're finally seeing our offense doing what other teams have been doing to us for several seasons now and I'm loving it. Our D needs to catch up, of course, but I could see this team having not much trouble scoring in the high 20's against most of the league.

OP
OP
L

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
What has impressed me is how confident Geno has taken the reins. His throws look strong, confident, and highly anticipatory. I had doubts about how Geno was able to process in game and after four games as the anointed one, he has answered those doubts.

As Pete and Waldron have given Geno more trust, Geno has only proven it's right to open things up more. Not unlike the former QBs early days here. The season is early and defensive adjustments will be made to counter Geno's success, but Geno sure seems quick and confident under pressure.

It sure seems like Geno has a much stronger trust in his playmakers to throw much earlier in anticipation than the former leader.

Every week will provide opportunities to grow more as a team from the play calling to the execution on the field. I look forward to follow how our offense grows with Geno as it's leader playing with and within the plan.

hoxrox

Reaction score
After 4 weeks, Waldron's stock has gone UP, in my opinion. Some of the 3rd down play calls were brilliant. Also redzone and second half play calls were better than weeks past. Geno's certainly helping with his checks as well.

Of course this could change on Sunday against a pretty good defense, but as of right now, I like what the offense is doing.

toffee

Reaction score
JTO made some nice observations. A few thoughts after watching the whole episode:
  1. Footwork, Geno has very decent footwork, especially compare to Lock, Geno has no wasted steps, very neat foot work indeed.
  2. Geno get rip of ball as quickly as he could.
  3. Somehow he didn't step up into the pocket at times.
  4. Arm strength, very strong indeed, but his deep ball delivery had a flatter projectile than Russ' moon balls.
  5. Poise, He displayed more poise than expected, may be he is gaining confidence.
  6. Accuracy, very accurate, 77% completion wasn't just luck, may be his footwork helped?
  7. Speed, Geno ran 4.59 at his combine, that was years ago, but he still has a burst and some wriggle too. Dude is very athletic.
  8. Cross got pushed around a lot more than Lucas, he seems to prefer riding his guy to the back of the QB, but Geno often did not step up the pocket, quite a few close calls.
It looked like football God created Geno Smith to play Shanahan school of WCO, his footwork, timing, and accuracy were made for this style of offense. Geno's footwork, and release, led me to wonder if he watched Dan Marino growing up?

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
Cross got pushed around a lot more than Lucas, he seems to prefer riding his guy to the back of the QB, but Geno often did not step up the pocket, quite a few close calls.
This happened in the Denver game as well. On one of the two big sacks, Cross just got beat badly and Geno simply had no chance (the one with the fumble, I believe). The other one, Cross actually rode his dude to the backside of Geno (who had actually moved pretty far back because the LG was getting pushed), but that created that lane up and to the left that Geno could have escaped to but didn't.

Geno actually looks way more comfortable stepping up into the pocket than we had seen from our previous QB, but it's that lane on his blindside, when the step isn't right in front of him or angled to the right side, that Geno seems to miss.

toffee

Reaction score
This happened in the Denver game as well. On one of the two big sacks, Cross just got beat badly and Geno simply had no chance (the one with the fumble, I believe). The other one, Cross actually rode his dude to the backside of Geno (who had actually moved pretty far back because the LG was getting pushed), but that created that lane up and to the left that Geno could have escaped to but didn't.

Geno actually looks way more comfortable stepping up into the pocket than we had seen from our previous QB, but it's that lane on his blindside, when the step isn't right in front of him or angled to the right side, that Geno seems to miss.
When Charles rode the his dude, he allowed the other guy to push him towards the QB, instead of away from the QB. May be strength, or the angle, end result was the arc wasn't big enough.

toffee

Reaction score
Not closely enough to learn mechanics from him. Marino retired when Smith was nine, and Marino's last Pro Bowl (and second-team All-Pro selection) was when Smith was five.
You are right, my memory failed me :)

Latest posts