Geno needs to watch it -

Rainger

Reaction score
Okay - flame off for me.

Obviously I've missed the point somewhere.
It's ok I understand your point, people just like to find something to debate.

I don't think he could get ejected unless he touched the refs but certainly they could give him an unsportsmanlike 15 yard penalty.

Every body is saying the same thing in this thread picking on different points.

Don't flame out I enjoy your posts.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
This. It wasn't just that they blew the call. It was the fact that the ref also failed in his procedure by not resetting the play clock, forcing the Hawks to use yet another timeout.

Pete had the ear of the ref to argue the call. Geno came over to ask why the hell the play clock wasn't reset after the penalty. The terrible call was one thing, but now you're trying to double F us. The fact that the ref was so flip as to clap back with "its your job to know the paycheck, you're the QB" was very telling. The Refs are supposed to provide checks and balances. Sometimes as players and coaches you become the checks and balances for the checks and balances.

OP I understand you're overarching point of officiating crews having long memories. But if they're tripping so hard off of their own God complex that they can't do the simple tenets of their own job, they need to be made aware. If I'm a player on that field, I'm feeding off of that energy Geno brought in that moment. If I'm Blythe I see my QB and coach just bucked up for me. I run through a wall for those gentlemen for the rest of my life.

I think Geno took it right up to the edge with his intensity. And the fact that all it took was a look and a gesture from Pete to get him refocused and channeling that fire right into the next first down throw. That should be commended. That's competitiveness at its finest. I sure as shit would not rather have Kyler Murray screaming at the head coach and sulking on the sidelines while the broadcast crew tries to sell it as them just being "competitors."

Edit to add: If this situation, through pettiness and ego, does devolve into a particular officiating crew holding so much of a grudge against Geno that they try to steer the game against us; there's only so much they can do before it becomes obviously egregious. Moreover, as it is in any game, the onus is on the team and players to execute so that the outcome of the game never lies in the hands of the officials.
Yeah, this was a consecutive blown call situation. It's one thing if the officials had just made the phantom call on Blythe. Pisses you off, but that's normal. Just another terrible call, Seahawks have seen more than average this year.

Then on top of that, the officials screwed up a simple, procedural aspect of their job and refused to correct it, and then basically told our QB to go screw himself on top of it. They've already proven themselves to be incompetent and petty. Geno yelling at them isn't going to change that and at least now it's attracted headlines.

I don't think the NFL holds their officials to anywhere near the level of account that they say they do but I do know that this particular round of incompetence got way more attention because of Geno than it would have had he not responded like this.

Is there a line Geno needs to be careful not to cross? Sure, but he didn't cross it here in my estimation.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It's ok I understand your point, people just like to find something to debate.

I don't think he could get ejected unless he touched the refs but certainly they could give him an unsportsmanlike 15 yard penalty.

Every body is saying the same thing in this thread picking on different points.

Don't flame out I enjoy your posts.
thank you ;)

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
I hate to keep bringing up the officiating but the refs are trying to steer us into losses this year. The entire crew that did the Saints game should be banned from the league permanently
I suspect it's more on the lines of choosing to flag or not to flag in part based upon keeping a game competitive, failing to see the penalty, and having coaches in the refs ears which may lead to flags at times - There are plays where it also seems that makeup flags seem to fall after an apparent questionable flag.

Literally every play has some opportunity to call a flag. There was a slight facemask that happened on a Herbert sack that wasn't called - I've roughing the passer called for lesser things.

The nature of the NFL is there will be games where the Seahawks get the shaft at times and there will be games where the opponent does. In the end the team knows what they are up against and the results will be what they are if they cannot overcome the penalty part of the game.

Complaining is one choice - a more effective approach will likely be to work harder to eliminate the mistakes that the players are making that they have control over.

I agree that the outcome of the Saints game was probably affected in part by the officiating, but early season losses can be beneficial towards developing the team for end of season success.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
AND further;

Part of my problem with the belly rub thing, and it's cute, don't get me wrong is:

If they have a 'secret code' for him to 'calm down' - this is obviously not the first time he's had to use it.

THAT's the problem.

Still; Geno for Prez!
Why exactly is a belly rub a problem? If it works to get centered then it seems to be exactly what needs to be done. Competitive sports is intense and the dog that is unleashed can use a belly rub to calm.

I hope Geno dances on that edge of passion outside of the huddle/play and becomes laser-focused and calm when in the moment of the huddle/play.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The stuff people freak out over.
For the record. I was not FREAKING out.

Freaking out is running around the living room during game time throwing sharp objects at the TV while completely wasted.

I was only 1/2 there. For the record.

BUT - I do think that people get lost in the X and O portion of the program, and ignore the people/personality side of the business quite a bit.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Also don’t forget to add, they didn’t reset the game clock and force Seattle to use a time out.

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben, Cam Newton, Mahomes, Rivers, Manning (Borh) have chewed refs out in games as well before plenty of times.

And yes he was clearly hot, but he was rightfully so and within reason. I don’t think he got to testy. The official could’ve ejected him at any point, however the official as well should’ve been composed and not barked back repeatedly. If anything the official getting just as hit if not more emotional/angry just leans towards some slight biased against Seattle. I personally blame the official as he was going back and forth with Geno and Pete.

And trust me as they were yapping back and forth I was watching the refs hand carefully because I honestly was fully expecting him to throw a flag or signal for ejection. Because imo he had the look of that’s what his goal was during that argument. To piss Geno off to where he had his reason to give Geno the boot. Thankfully Pete got Geno refocused.
and somehow Phil Haynes got concussed on the 'stopped free play' Geno had absolutely every right to be ticked off. Need to go back and look what happened to him

cymatica

Reaction score
The fact that the ref was so flip as to clap back with "its your job to know the play clock, you're the QB" was very telling.
Wait what? Did the ref actually say that after they screwed up? If he deliberately ignored the rules and refused to fix the clock, someone needs to be disciplined