Geno needs to watch it -

bigskydoc

Reaction score
If an NFL Ref tossed a QB, it would be on every sports talk show and fish rag for a week. It would bring the refs into the spotlight... rats scurry from the spotlight.

balakoth

Reaction score
I get that he's got problems with the officiating.

BUT, he needs to get that under control.

As cute as the 'jedi centering move' PC threw him from the sideline just after the 'spat' with the ref yesterday was. I thought he was kinda close to getting ejected. Maybe, maybe not - but there have been at least 4 of these 'incidents' in the past month - where he gets super hot, and confrontational with the officials.

Mark my words - that's not a good look. You might win the argument, but lose the battle - phantom holding calls can always be dug up. Look at TB12 after he revealed his 'special' relationship with the refs last year. The next game was comical. It can happen.

AND, if you push it too much - I would honestly hate to see him ejected. We get it, he's got passion, and I love that - but check it before you get into red-line territory man.

Having said all that..... Geno for Prez!
What? LOL

sutz

Reaction score
I think I'm more concerned just about Geno's composure than about any referee payback. Pete giving him that "belly rub" gesture reminded him to focus his energy on something positive, like the next play. It worked. ;)

acer1240

Reaction score
I think I'm more concerned just about Geno's composure than about any referee payback. Pete giving him that "belly rub" gesture reminded him to focus his energy on something positive, like the next play. It worked. ;)
His composure is fine my friend. He didn't exactly go wwe or anything. He was just pissed off for a good reason. Russ would have pulled a Cam Newton and sulked on the bench. My man Geno has some fire and I'm loving it.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
It's absolutley no different than when Brady or Rivers would get mouthy with the refs and then follow it up with an F you TD or huge pass play. When they do its fiery competitiveness. When Geno does it, he has to watch it?

Geno has shown he's a gracious pro, and humble leader. If he's getting jobbed by tye refs on a BS penalty, I'd rather he call them put then stand quietly. It's often that making the refs hear you when they've screwed up results in a 'make up' call a few plays later.

Love his emotion and I think the players around him feed off of it. Especially calm, cool Tyler.
Absolutely none of that was my point.

Point summary:

He needs to not cross the line. IMO he was pissed enough to take a poke at the ref - which would be ejection.

Geno is not Brady or Rogers. He cannot and will not get away with the same shit. You can LOSE these types of battles without getting ejected from the game by pissing people off.

And, your "gracious pro, and humble leader" is right on. That's what his strength(s) are. PC already had the ref. What was the point?

Jesus - you'd think I said that I wish that the Refs would call plays like that every down - and that Geno would just limp off and say "thank you, may I have another sir?".

FFS - that was NOT the point.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Exactly. A leader needs to hold it together.

Precisely why when Brady lost it on his Oline and Rogers loses it, well - whenever the F he feels like it - it looks like an 8 year old having a tantrum.

chris98251

Reaction score
QB's have more leeway, you toss a QB you better have a good answer for why, that's rating. Also QB's get after refs all the time, Brady, Rodgers, Mannings frequently. Team respects the leadership of a guy that will say something, you just have to know where the line is and then yes refocus on the next play.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Being worried about this ranks up there with "we can't get cocky, one game at a time"
Um, WE don't play for the team, our cockiness as fans has zero impact on the game.
Geno laying in the ref had zero impact on the game. In fact, it made him play even better. Look at that rocket, ice in his veins throw to Lockett on 3rd down. HUGE

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I get that he's got problems with the officiating.

BUT, he needs to get that under control.

As cute as the 'jedi centering move' PC threw him from the sideline just after the 'spat' with the ref yesterday was. I thought he was kinda close to getting ejected. Maybe, maybe not - but there have been at least 4 of these 'incidents' in the past month - where he gets super hot, and confrontational with the officials.

Mark my words - that's not a good look. You might win the argument, but lose the battle - phantom holding calls can always be dug up. Look at TB12 after he revealed his 'special' relationship with the refs last year. The next game was comical. It can happen.

AND, if you push it too much - I would honestly hate to see him ejected. We get it, he's got passion, and I love that - but check it before you get into red-line territory man.

Having said all that..... Geno for Prez!
AND further;

Part of my problem with the belly rub thing, and it's cute, don't get me wrong is:

If they have a 'secret code' for him to 'calm down' - this is obviously not the first time he's had to use it.

THAT's the problem.

Still; Geno for Prez!

nanomoz

Reaction score
A lot of people are completely missing the OP's point.

Refs have long memories. And there's a huge margin of error with certain infractions like holding (as the OP mentioned), OPI, and yes, even unsportsmanlike conduct.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
A lot of people are completely missing the OP's point.

Refs have long memories. And there's a huge margin of error with certain infractions like holding (as the OP mentioned), OPI, and yes, even unsportsmanlike conduct.
This. Thank you.

acer1240

Reaction score
AND further;

Part of my problem with the belly rub thing, and it's cute, don't get me wrong is:

If they have a 'secret code' for him to 'calm down' - this is obviously not the first time he's had to use it.

THAT's the problem.

Still; Geno for Prez!
A secret code? Interesting. If telling someone to zen it up in public is secret this is the first I'm hearing of it. You don't want them to have communication that allows them to calm down in tense situations? This thread is weird.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Geno did the right thing getting in the ref's face. It was an egregiously blown call, and the ref had to know it. It gives him pause on throwing the next questionable flag.
Yes - and part of my point was: "It wasn't a call on him. PC already had the ref. Did you not see him: "You called this on US?!""

Holy crap - mountain out of a molehill or what?

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I saw exactly what you saw, and yes Geno did the right thing getting in the Refs face, and letting him know that he blew the call. The ref needs to know that he will be on blast by the team leaders (Pete and Geno alike) whenever he pulls that shit. The ref cannot eject Geno in that situation because he knows that his Pop Warner level, blown call will be all over sports media for a week if he does.

Yes, Geno needs to get his head back in the game after, but he was absolutely right to lay into the ref there.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And he flat out DID get right back in the game. Immediately. Him getting mad at the ref had zero impact on his play. In fact, it seemed to fire him up more.
Do you Geno.

chris98251

Reaction score
There are certain players that elevate their game to a level not normally played at when pissed, Randy Johnson, Michael Jordon, Joe Montana, Reggie Jackson, we seen Shaun Alexander do it in Washington one game (best game he ever played in my book) when they pissed him off which was hard to do it seemed due to his personality. Geno may be able to do that, he isn't one of those player to be sure, a sample of one so far, but a player that raises his game and lifts the team at the same time, it's worth noting, why? BECAUSE THE TEAM follows him and raises their bar also.

Why a pissed off Brady, Rodgers, or Peyton was dangerous.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I saw exactly what you saw, and yes Geno did the right thing getting in the Refs face, and letting him know that he blew the call. The ref needs to know that he will be on blast by the team leaders (Pete and Geno alike) whenever he pulls that shit. The ref cannot eject Geno in that situation because he knows that his Pop Warner level, blown call will be all over sports media for a week if he does.

Yes, Geno needs to get his head back in the game after, but he was absolutely right to lay into the ref there.
This. It wasn't just that they blew the call. It was the fact that the ref also failed in his procedure by not resetting the play clock, forcing the Hawks to use yet another timeout.

Pete had the ear of the ref to argue the call. Geno came over to ask why the hell the play clock wasn't reset after the penalty. The terrible call was one thing, but now you're trying to double F us. The fact that the ref was so flip as to clap back with "its your job to know the play clock, you're the QB" was very telling. The Refs are supposed to provide checks and balances. Sometimes as players and coaches you become the checks and balances for the checks and balances.

OP I understand you're overarching point of officiating crews having long memories. But if they're tripping so hard off of their own God complex that they can't do the simple tenets of their own job, they need to be made aware. If I'm a player on that field, I'm feeding off of that energy Geno brought in that moment. If I'm Blythe I see my QB and coach just bucked up for me. I run through a wall for those gentlemen for the rest of my life.

I think Geno took it right up to the edge with his intensity. And the fact that all it took was a look and a gesture from Pete to get him refocused and channeling that fire right into the next first down throw. That should be commended. That's competitiveness at its finest. I sure as shit would not rather have Kyler Murray screaming at the head coach and sulking on the sidelines while the broadcast crew tries to sell it as them just being "competitors."

Edit to add: If this situation, through pettiness and ego, does devolve into a particular officiating crew holding so much of a grudge against Geno that they try to steer the game against us; there's only so much they can do before it becomes obviously egregious. Moreover, as it is in any game, the onus is on the team and players to execute so that the outcome of the game never lies in the hands of the officials.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
I almost want the refs to keep pissing Geno off after that dart he threw.