Geno Isn't the Guy. Sad to Say (Main)

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I have no clue why they think so though it's obvious they are a year away IF they actually draft a quarterback that's not league average and costs 40 million dollars if that.

They think that because so far in their tenure they have been very good at developing players, including QB's. Thus the what, 9 or 10 Pro Bowls of their QB's, passing records, top 5-10 in league efficiency metrics like completion percentage and QBR ratings.

GemCity

Reaction score
Geno gives me the sense that he’s in command of the offense at all times. On normal drives, he makes great decisions…moves the ball. No doubt he is a leader and his teammates echo that sentiment.

Fans from every team in the league will have a complaint about what their QB does/does not do.

So while you can say this for way over half the QBs in the league, Geno doesn’t give me the “we got this” feeling on critical drives. There’s variables ofc…Waldron, maybe PC to a degree…

If we can get our Red Zone success up, maybe even just middle of the pack, I’d be happy.

Still riding with him. Everyone has a bad game here and there.

LTH

Reaction score
I’m being critical of Geno with the plays you mentioned. But, absolutely agree with the defensive pressure on that last drive.

The O-line was nonexistent.
Red zone is definitely an area the Seahawks have to work on. Sometimes you just have to give credit to the D. I'm sure the Bengles saw this, they exploited the weakness and did their job. Now it's up to the Seahawks to shore it up. Sometimes it takes a loss to make the point. Let's see how the Hawks respond.

LTH

gabel

Reaction score
Geno led the league in turnover worthy plays last year. He had a lot of interception luck and it appears to be running out.

He isn't progressing as a passer, instead a regression back to what he's always been is taking place for everyone to see.

This is very disappointing as he has been surrounded by the most talented offense the Seahawks have ever put on the field.

He just doesn't see the field, he pre-determines where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

If he guesses right? Success, as he is a very talented and accurate thrower.

If he guesses wrong? Disaster. Throwing into coverage, or doesn't pull the trigger for the sack due to not trusting what he is seeing.

This is what he was with the Jets. The Seahawks have better weapons and the rules favor QBs more than back then so his numbers will look better, but this not good.

The Seahawks are at a point where there is no question they must take a QB in the upcoming draft, AND consider moving on from Smith to save CAP as Geno is not worth his ballooning salary numbers going forward.
If only Russel Wilson was judged as harshly. People would have been much happier when he got traded.

I thought many times the play calling put Geno in rough spot. Granted the 2 interceptions were brutal.

I have full confidence he will be back starting this weekend.

LTH

Reaction score
I don't know the answers. I'm just trying to put myself in John and Pete's place. They're on their what, 3rd or 4th turnover of the roster since they were hired?

So yeah, I can't see the oldest coach in the league wanting to spend another decade trying to find a QB in the draft with an emerging great defense and capable offense when clicking well.

So yeah, I agree Geno might not, and probably isn't the answer long term. But again I just don't see our GM and coach down with the drafting one. Especially now that we'll be back in the high teens or 20's with our pick.
Yeah but Geno earned this starting job. It's not like the Hawks contractually strapped themselves to Geno before the draft. Maybe if Richardson was available they might have pulled the trigger. Maybe Geno will work out, Maybe he won't but doesn't he deserve a chance to work it out?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
See it how you want. I don't see him as a top 10 NFL QB, not so far this year. Last year, absolutely.
But again...........that means I hate him blah blah blah.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
A pass? Have you, by chance, read the rest of this 11 page thread?

I don't think the guy is getting a pass. Half the fanbase, dumb as it may be, wants him benched.

Plenty people are giving him a pass. Heck, LTH said he played as good as any QB could have. You havent read all the blame that the OL and Waldron is receiving?

He cant be benched. The alternative is no better.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I stick to my opinion, other's stick to theirs. Cool. It's a message board, we all have our opinions. Let's just get a damn win THIS SUNDAY.
I want the team to win. I want Geno to ball out. That's what matters. Win f'ing games.
I took my crow last year when he balled out, and I'll do it again.

LTH

Reaction score
Fair enough you made sense I'm not totally convinced but I feel you understand and I like you because you are not stupid.
Fans are NOT patient and typically don't see the big picture. We are not in the Seahawk meeting rooms and we don't see the learning progression other than what's happening on the field. The only thing I have going for me is that I have learned to be patient and understand the season is a process. That doesn't mean it's going to turn out the way I want it to, it just makes the growing pains tolerable.

LTH

LTH

Reaction score
Plenty people are giving him a pass. Heck, LTH said he played as good as any QB could have. You havent read all the blame that the OL and Waldron is receiving?

I know... I'm less than desirable...but I still love ya Pitt as I'm throwing empty beer cans at your ass!! LMAO!!

keasley45

Reaction score
I didn't say HE IS CRAP. I said he WAS CRAP ON SUNDAY. But as usual, your butt hurt shows when someone calls out your messiah.

You call me not impartial, but you have NEVER been able to just admit when he has a bad game. He was AWFUL. Period.

We've been thru this dance for 2 years. Piss off dude. Your act is almost as old as a Fade take. You worship an above average at best QB and get your panties in a bunch if people call him out. You talk down to everyone on here. Always have.

Geno CAN BE very good when he gets blocking. Put pressure on him and he folds like a tent. Game on the line, he has never been cold blooded.

This problem here is the knee-jerk reaction to say he was 'crap', when the truth is more nuanced than that and is impossible to glean from a TV broadcast.

If the intent is to just have a discussion based on opinion, then cool, Geno is horrible, or the 2nd coming, or whatever 'in between ' characterization you want to throw at him.

But if you want to entertain the facts around the performance of the passing game on Sunday, you have to care to go deeper than personal feelings and Fox NFL Sunday.

What's obvious when watching the film is that our passing game as a whole is still too vanilla and opponents know it. Save for the Detroit game when we had to deviate from the 'plan' and incorporated more up field routes and the TEs, we've been going to the well far too often. The benefit that Geno brings is that it's far easier to diagnose what's working and whats nit because the QB is actually capable of running the plays as designed.

Geno had plenty that wasnt good though. His delivery needs to be quicker in the pocket. His confidence and ability to hang in is great, but he needs to wind his clock a bit faster. It's been a problem.

He also needs to stop predeterminng his throws. He's actually really good at progressing through his reads, but he's now shown a habit of zeroing in on a guy whether because presnap alignments tell him so, or because he's trying to be equitable in distributing the ball. My gut tells me it's no small part the latter. I say that because Geno has shown that he is proud of being the anti Russ when it comes to being an accessible leader who wants the guys around him to succeed. He's obviously created a bond on the field with Lockett and DK, but it often come at the expense of just letting the play develop and getting the ball to the guy who should have it based on whether he's open or not. It's hard to say whether him pushing that direction is of his own doing or whether the plays are designed to exploit one on one's or zone beaters to his key dudes. Now, I'm not saying he doesn't get the ball around well in terms of overall distribution. But in clutch time on key downs, if its a wr hes going to, its DK or Lockett. And what ive seen defenses do is bait him into seeingbwhat he wants pre snap and then taking it away immediately. And the offense, so far has been ok at winning those moments but the windows are closing quickly. Its up to Shane and Geno to dial up a few more wrinkes.

Ive been saying that going back to last year but its still not happening as often as it should on key downs. In win /lose scenarios, its Dk and Tyler as 1a, b, c and d. And defenses know it. But that leaves Charbonnet and his oass catching on the bench. It leaves Bobo watching, and JSN playing decoy.

Speaking of which, and I've said this before too. They need to do more of what shave dialed up to him in the wind half with the deep over behind and between the zone with him in motion. They got him the ball once on that pattern. The int was just a bad throw by Geno in a critical situation where it looked like he was determined to throw to him no matter what ( again, prioritizing trying to get him something over getting him the ball in the RIGHT situation). The other catch was the route he ran thats one of Tyler's staple hooks in between the cb / safety zone on his side. It worked because i think the D wasnt expecting the ball to go to him, but thats a play that needs a few wrinkles thrown in between instance or it will become a pick 6 in a game or 2.

As to Geno's ints... the first one was just areally bad decision all the way around. The 2nd was as much DKs faukt as anything. He gave up at the top of the route because he likely tbought the cb had inside leverage. Geno threw to where he was going, likely thinking DK vs most any db in a contested catch will favor his guy. But the fault there, again in part goes to Geno. Rather than throwing a 50/50 ball, it would have been better to either pull it down and run, or find an outlet. I haven't rewatxhed that one on the All 22 to see what else was there, but it just speaks to the need for him to not force things.

I also think that that int cane after he decided to forego what might have been a TD to DK where he appeared to be wide open.

And then there's the protection which is a two pronged issue. One, it was bad. Enough said. Two if you know you guys aren't holding up in pass pro, then incorporate some screens, slants, plays that get the ball out quick and rely on YAC and guys in motion doing there thing. It's what JSN is so good. If you arent sending him on routes where you can get him the ball in motion and moving away from a defender, than why did we draft him? Having him run Tyler's curls or sit downs in zones is a waste.
Likewise, get the ball up and out quick to Bobo or your TEs - i dont recall hearing Disslys name called during the game...

But in summery, geno didnt have a great game, but he wasnt 'horrible'. He had a careless pass picked off and another int on a route that was surrendered to the db. But yiure fooling yourself, havent taken the time to really watch the game, or are just in need of an opportunity to gloat if youre trying to paint Geno as 'not they guy'... i think that phrase has been tossed around ...

Whats failing right now on offense is protection (one), pass concepts (two), not using our running game effectively (three), and Geno (four). 100% positive if the line wasnt hamstrung by injury, we leaned on Charnonnet a bit more as a runner and pass catcher, and had routes and adjustments that leveraged the talentbwe have on offense, Geno wouldnt be a problem and we win that game. That being said, Geno needs to channel a little Russ more often if he see the plays that are dialed up are toast, get out of the pocket (or shane - get him out) and put the D on its heals. I aporeciate the faith he has in the playcall, but if its not been working, improvise.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Pete. It's painfully obvious we have almost everything in place to be elite but have a coach with way too much power with an offensive philosophy that is far too conservative and an owner that refuses to do as she should and sell both terms immediately as ordered.

We are maybe a year away before the bottom falls out and we experience really horrible for years unless total change comes beginning at the top. Pete needs to retire simply because he has no clue about modern NFL offense. You do the middle of the field with crossing and quick passes and if the run is working keep doing so until they force you to stop.

I agree with you for the most part. I dont agree with the bottom falling out part. Pete is the NFC's Mike Tomlin. Wins just enough anymore to keep his job but never fields a serious contender.

LTH

Reaction score

When I made that statement I was referring to the last 2 inside the redzone attempts. I didn't state that very well as Geno missed a couple for sure and I stated that. I m just not a great writer.

LTH

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Decide who you want to "ride" with playa

I'm sticking with the team i've rooted for since 1976, but if any team had a last possession drive to win the game and my choices are between Geno Smith and Russell Wilson, i'm taking Wilson every single time. I've seen it happen to many times not to.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
I don't know the answers. I'm just trying to put myself in John and Pete's place. They're on their what, 3rd or 4th turnover of the roster since they were hired?

So yeah, I can't see the oldest coach in the league wanting to spend another decade trying to find a QB in the draft with an emerging great defense and capable offense when clicking well.

So yeah, I agree Geno might not, and probably isn't the answer long term. But again I just don't see our GM and coach down with the drafting one. Especially now that we'll be back in the high teens or 20's with our pick.

One thing I will say. I do trust JS when it comes to QB's. He has an eye for talent at that position. Geno is the bridge QB as the other holes were and are being filled. My only question is, where and how does the next QB fit in? Thats a blank to me. Lets be honest, Pete is almost sure to be gone in a couple years when his contract is up and Jody sells so its all in limbo.

Latest posts