Extend Geno Smith.

QWERTY

Reaction score
JS and PC won't re-sign Geno, there's no way.

There's too much holes in this team, and You want to pay Geno? Seattle still has major money in the following players.

DK
Jamal Adams
Diggs.

Look at the holes we have, Re-signing Ryan Neal is a big must. DE/DT/LB is so bad.

QWERTY

Reaction score
I absolutely think that Geno needs to be extended long term. He has shown consistency through 12 games that has surprised most. Probably hasn't surprised Geno. My question for .net is not how long he should be signed for, but rather how many more years can he be a viable QB? He is currently 32. Can he play until hes 40 or even late 30's?
Once his legs are Out, then he won't be useful.

QWERTY

Reaction score
View attachment 56010

Also, Ryan Neal is not a bigger "must" than a quarterback putting up top 5 stats.
You are delusional if you believe that Seattle would win it's games and make the playoffs and win the playoffs because of Geno. The path for elite D, good rushing game and a QB that doesn't turn the ball over is the recipe to win.

knownone

Reaction score
Assuming Geno's current level of play is the norm, there is no reason he can't play deep into his thirties. He has a strong arm, generally makes good decisions, and hasn't taken much physical punishment throughout his career.

I said this before the season, and I'll continue reiterating it: We don't know what Geno's ceiling is. He's still relatively inexperienced as a starting QB and should get better with more experience. We've seen some of that this season. He went from a conservative approach to taking more calculated risks downfield while trusting his receivers to make contested catches.

It doesn't appear that some people fully appreciate how good Geno is/can be. With Brady and Rogers fading, he might be the best all-around QB in the NFC.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
You are delusional if you believe that Seattle would win it's games and make the playoffs and win the playoffs because of Geno. The path for elite D, good rushing game and a QB that doesn't turn the ball over is the recipe to win.

No, it isn't.

You can have those things, but you don't get there at all these days without very good play at the quarterback spot.

Regardless of the run game, you still need explosives and a competent passing game.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and tell me more about how the most recent champions and best teams sucked at quarterback. I'll wait, and I'll laugh at whatever you try to come with.

Please, the guy calling a backup safety a higher priority than a current top-5 quarterback in the MVP discussion calling others delusional? That's just rich.

Reactions: FPD

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
You do realize that most of the teams that have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years or so had elite QB play as well, right?

How did that elite defense and rushing game help the Niners against Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes? Most of the teams that made it to the Super Bowl had an elite passer under center as well. The Broncos are the only team that won with subpar QB play.

Even our very own Seattle Seahawks had to have Russell Wilson pull some magic out of the hat with the best modern era defense. Even the Eagles who won with Foles did so because he balled out of his mind in the postseason.

You need a QB in this league or else you're going to be stuck in the rat pack more often than not.

Rock_the_Hawk

Reaction score
They are not going to extend Geno because it doesn't make since at this point. Just for the reason of next years draft. They dont want to give up what positions they might draft. Not to mention the want to see how Geno finishes the season and how well he does in the playoffs. To me this is a no brianer. If the Hawks decide they want to retain Geno they are going to have to pay him anyway...

QWERTY

Reaction score
You do realize that most of the teams that have won a Super Bowl in the last 10 years or so had elite QB play as well, right?

How did that elite defense and rushing game help the Niners against Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes? Most of the teams that made it to the Super Bowl had an elite passer under center as well. The Broncos are the only team that won with subpar QB play.

Even our very own Seattle Seahawks had to have Russell Wilson pull some magic out of the hat with the best modern era defense. Even the Eagles who won with Foles did so because he balled out of his mind in the postseason.

You need a QB in this league or else you're going to be stuck in the rat pack more often than not.
is Geno a top 10 QB in this league?

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
is Geno a top 10 QB in this league?
Right now? Yes, yes he is by every metric, in fact he's playing like a top 5 QB right now if we look at the numbers. It isn't flukey stuff he's doing either. He's running a modern NFL offense at a high level and he's making some high level NFL throws.

Geno's numbers are in fact top 3 right now in most categories.

Rainger

Reaction score
From CBS
Seattle reportedly wants Smith back for 2023, and contract talks are expected to take place after the season. There might be sticker shock during discussions for a new deal. According to NFLPA data, the average salary for starting quarterbacks, excluding those on rookie contracts, is $32,036,681 per year.

Seattle has an interesting dilemma with Smith. Having some concern about regression is warranted since it's unknown whether this season is a true breakout performance for the 32-year-old or an anomaly. Seattle could still be in position to select a quarterback early because Wilson is playing poorly. Denver's 2023 first-round pick, which Seattle owns, would be third overall if the season ended today.

Using a non-exclusive franchise designation or transition tag on Smith shouldn't be dismissed. The non-exclusive quarterback franchise designation should be $32.445 million with a $225 million 2023 salary cap. This represents 14.42% of the salary cap. Seattle would be entitled to two first-round picks from the signing team on an unmatched offer sheet. The transition tag, which would only give the Seahawks a right to match another team's offer sheet, is expected to be $29.53 million with a $225 million salary cap.

Rainger

Reaction score

Thought #7

Here’s another fun fact that should/could support Geno’s MVP candidacy: He’s thrown 2 or more touchdown passes in 10 of Seattle’s 12 games.

Here’s the list of other QBs who have thrown 2+ TDs in 10+ games this season:

Rainger

Reaction score

Thought #6

Speaking of Geno Smith and the MVP award ...

.@Seahawks QB @GenoSmith3's eight games with at least a 100 passer rating leads the NFL. #GoHawks pic.twitter.com/xLubmTdQli
— Seahawks PR (@seahawksPR) December 1, 2022
I completely understand that Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen have more cachet and (marginally) better stats.

But Geno has taken a team that was widely expected to be one of the worst in the league and positioned them to (a) make the playoffs, and (b) potentially have at least one HOME playoff game if he can guide them past the San Francisco 49ers in Week 15.

Oh, and the above Tweet from the Seahawks’ PR department was sent out before Geno posted a completion percentage of 71.8% and a passer rating of 116.1 against the Rams.

Right now, Geno is tied with Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning.

Come Sunday night, he should be all alone atop that list.

And ...

You read it here first ...

I think Geno will run the table on the season and finish every game with a completion percentage over 60 and a passer rating over 80.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
As long as he wins games, couldn't care less about the numbers. Just keep winning Geno. MANY of us were wrong about Geno, which is a very good thing.
He's just flat out a good football player, period. Some guys take longer to develop and/or just don't get the right opportunity. Geno is taking this shot and running with it.

NJHawk

Reaction score
Geno, really? So so at best. Is anybody actually watching this game

WarHawks

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll pass. Geno is not the answer.