It's Geno's Fault Too (Indirectly)

Fade

Reaction score
We all know Pete is to blame for the mess that is the Seattle Seahawks at this juncture. And Judy as well for not growing a pair, and showing him the door.

However, Geno has extended the mediocrity window by at least 5 years and counting.

I believe the Seahawks will keep Geno Smith as the most expensive bridge QB in football.

They pick at 16. They couldn't get their guy at 5 last year. Geno stays.

And it isn't smart from the perspective of truly trying to build a contender. It's smart if you're trying to be mediocre, which is what this regime is about.

Geno's 4th qtr heroics over world beaters
such as the Titans, Commies, Cardinals, etc. w/Drew Lock chipping in with the Eagles, is going to prevent the Seahawks from drafting their franchise QB in the best QB draft in over 40 years. (1983, look it up.)

Geno playing like a top 5 QB the first half of last year, cost them CJ Stroud, or whatever QB they would've drafted had Geno outright sucked.

It's not Geno's fault for going out there doing the best he can. But it would've made things so much easier had he just plain sucked. New QB, New HC. This whole thing would be getting turned over.

Instead, the team will remain in Pete's Purgatory on the Road to No Where.

getnasty

Reaction score
We don't know that they didn't like Richardson or Stoud at 5 last year they just weren't available. I would say by the contract they gave Geno they're not confident with him going foward unfortunately finding a QB of the future isn't the easy thing in the world. See 20+ teams in the NFL. If they have a QB they like at 16 they'll take him, who knows if he'll pan out or not but they'll take him.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
We’ve got to stop calling it purgatory. Purgatory assumes an eventual ascension. I don’t see that occurring with the same staff -
It could also mean a decension into hell, where I firmly believe this team is headed (the cellar/bottom of the league as we keep trading away draft capitol like shoveling water out of a boat with a hole in the bottom.)

94Smith

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will draft a QB to groom behind Geno. They have to this year and will. I could see them trading up. Geno is a FA in two years. Also isn't Lock a Free Agent? I don't know if it will be a first rounder or later rounder but they will draft a QB

hoxrox

Reaction score
Rams tanking their way into a playoff game this weekend. Book it.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I think the Seahawks will draft a QB to groom behind Geno. They have to this year and will. I could see them trading up. Geno is a FA in two years. Also isn't Lock a Free Agent? I don't know if it will be a first rounder or later rounder but they will draft a QB

They will. But it won't be the A-Listers. It will be taking a hope and a prayer.

In the last 15 years, QBs drafted in the 3rd round or later, that became franchise guys, roughly.

-2012- Wilson
-2012- Cousins
-2016- Prescott
-2022- Purdy

Well over 120 QBs were drafted in this range. And you can count on 1 hand, the guys that ascended to this level. And it is getting harder as the years go by. Guys just don't fall through the cracks anymore. In the last 10 years it's just Dak & Purdy. That's the list.

The QBs that are worthy are going to be gobbled up in the first 10 picks. In a very weak QB draft last year, 3 of the first 4 picks were QBs. This is upcoming draft is the best QB draft in over 40 years. I'm predicting a record 5 QBs taken in the first 10 picks.

My current hope and a prayer QBs, Spencer Rattler day 2, KJ Jefferson day 3.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I think Geno's 2024 salary of 31M will put him somewhere around the 15th highest paid QB?

So yeah, that tracks for about how good he is. Middle of the league starting QB (which isn't saying much considering how god awful the bottom half of the league QB's are).

Which is fine if you surround him with a good defense and good run game. There in lies the rub, both are subpar to downright awful on the defensive side of the ball.

So to me Geno isn't part of the problem, draft or go get whoever you want at QB. Isn't going to matter as long as the defense is dog crap and the run game isn't effective.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Ok, all seriousness aside, what qb could possibly be considered a possible franchise qb at 16, assuming one of the top four (Williams, Mafe, Daniels, Penix) aren't there? Nix, Ward, any others?

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Ok, all seriousness aside, what qb could possibly be considered a possible franchise qb at 16, assuming one of the top four (Williams, Mafe, Daniels, Penix) aren't there? Nix, Ward, any others?

As of now, none that I can think of. The Seahawks won too many games and played themselves out of the Franchise QB sweepstakes.

Penix, maybe if he has a medical flag from all of the injuries from his past could tumble down the draft. But teams will talk themselves into it as he has remained healthy the last 2 years, and has a golden arm.

Projected top 8 picks without trade ups.

CHI: 1st - QB, Caleb Williams
WAS: 2nd - QB, Drake Maye (Likely trade down, but a QB will be picked here regardless.)
NE: 3rd - QB, Jayden Daniels
AZ: 4th - WR,
LAC: 5th - LT,
NYG: 6th- QB, Penix Jr
TEN: 7th, LT,
ATL: 8th, QB, Nix

Don't get too caught up on specific Teams, or names. Just an exorcise to show how likely it is 5 QBs are going in the top 10 this year.

Boycie

Reaction score
I think Geno's 2024 salary of 31M will put him somewhere around the 15th highest paid QB?

So yeah, that tracks for about how good he is. Middle of the league starting QB (which isn't saying much considering how god awful the bottom half of the league QB's are).

Which is fine if you surround him with a good defense and good run game. There in lies the rub, both are subpar to downright awful on the defensive side of the ball.

So to me Geno isn't part of the problem, draft or go get whoever you want at QB. Isn't going to matter as long as the defense is dog crap and the run game isn't effective.
Good to see you back Sarge!

morgulon1

Reaction score

I think this is a good post. Whether or not Seattle drafts someone. , Geno is actually paid about where he needs to be. The problems this team are having aren't because of Geno Smith. Improve the surrounding cast and see what happens. It's the offensive line and the defense .

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
As of now, none that I can think of. The Seahawks won too many games and played themselves out of the Franchise QB sweepstakes.

Penix, maybe if he has a medical flag from all of the injuries from his past could tumble down the draft. But teams will talk themselves into it as he has remained healthy the last 2 years, and has a golden arm.

Projected top 8 picks without trade ups.

CHI: 1st - QB, Caleb Williams
WAS: 2nd - QB, Drake Maye (Likely trade down, but a QB will be picked here regardless.)
NE: 3rd - QB, Jayden Daniels
AZ: 4th - WR,
LAC: 5th - LT,
NYG: 6th- QB, Penix Jr
TEN: 7th, LT,
ATL: 8th, QB, Nix

Don't get too caught up on specific Teams, or names. Just an exorcise to show how likely it is 5 QBs are going in the top 10 this year.

Honestly, I don't think any of these QB's would excel with Pete and his rudimentary offense. They'd be wasted almost immediately.

DeBoer and Grubb are two of the most innovative offensive minds in college football. Do you see all the complex motion and deception with how they call games? It's beautiful to watch.....which is why Penix is beautiful to watch. Just pretty football.

He, and every other QB coming out next year would be stuck in this basic offensive system. I mean, look what Pete and Waldron did to JSN. Dude was widely regarded as the BEST of all the amazing Ohio State WR's to come out, and he's barely a factor most games.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't think any of these QB's would excel with Pete and his rudimentary offense. They'd be wasted almost immediately.

DeBoer and Grubb are two of the most innovative offensive minds in college football. Do you see all the complex motion and deception with how they call games? It's beautiful to watch.....which is why Penix is beautiful to watch. Just pretty football.

He, and every other QB coming out next year would be stuck in this basic offensive system. I mean, look what Pete and Waldron did to JSN. Dude was widely regarded as the BEST of all the amazing Ohio State WR's to come out, and he's barely a factor most games.

I totally agree.

In the, -draft a QB in the first round- thread, I stated drafting a QB is a waste of time until they get a new HC because of the reasons you listed and more.

Pete needs a QB like prime Russell Wilson, that can create a new play on the fly after the initial predictable play inevitably fails. Excellent downfield accuracy, and plays his best when the game is on the line. Even if Pete has his ideal QB, his ceiling is 10 wins or so and an early playoff exit.

It's hard to beat competitive teams when they're playing chess, and Pete is playing checkers.

Caleb Williams fits the bill, but that ain't happenin'.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This team is going to hover near .500 as long as Carroll is here. His entire approach is focused on probabilities, and it works for what it is designed to do (be at or above .500 is CLEARLY the goal....not playoffs, division lead, etc.)

The roster ain't great though. Probably a bare cupboard when Carroll is done. But we likely need to be terrible before we end up being good again.
And we haven't been terrible in a long, long, long time. Not sure if our fan base can even handle it. We'll see.