Extend Geno Smith.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Quarterback of the future be damned - Geno checks every box, and they need to lock that man up.

I wouldn't be pressed at them grabbing a mid-round guy, but I'm not looking for a replacement for Geno. Geno's play will absolutely not be immediately eclipsed by a rookie signal caller.

He's doing everything right. He is enough. Pay the man his money, fix the defense with those sexy picks, and go on a damn run!

The window is NOW.

If it all falls down, then that's how it goes. A draft pick ain't a sure thing either.

FPD

Reaction score
Man, sometimes I really agree with you, sometimes it's the opposite. This is one of those times that I completely agree!

calinator

Reaction score
100% agree. He's more than good enough if this is who he is now. Invest those picks in defense some more, especially DE and DT. If Seattle can get some pass rush and disruption up front I believe that is the pieces they need to become immediate Superbowl contenders but I believe the cap is worrisome.

evergreen

Reaction score
We are paying tons in cap hits now. So the question is pay him now for a couple years with Geno or five years of rookie QB contract and all the benefits of that.

balakoth

Reaction score
We are paying tons in cap hits now. So the question is pay him now for a couple years with Geno or five years of rookie QB contract and all the benefits of that.
whwat rookie contract.. which rookie.. assuming we get 3 to 5... Shroud.. Will? I mean you think those two qare good b ased on some college ball???

balakoth

Reaction score
Get DT, DE, Center... let geno roll find some qbs in the future

mikeak

Reaction score
Not now. They'll be negotiating after the season per reports, though.
Now would be better. They would get a guaranteed money discount. He hasn't earned much in his career. One big bit and he will never earn the big bucks. $70M now should be worth more than $75M-$80M after 8 more games

renofox

Reaction score
Extending makes it so the cap doesnt effect until next year.. yes.. we can extend now... as we drop 37 mil next year
Can't extend/re-sign without pro-rating a signing bonus. Effective cap next year is only ~$30M so if he does sign an extension for $30M next year you end up with 20/53 roster spots occupied by scrubs and rookies and no ability to sign injury replacements. Not going to happen.

massari

Reaction score
He'll probably get a Derek Carr type contract. $40M APY over 3 or 4 years. Will be interesting to see how much is Guaranteed.

keasley45

Reaction score
Quarterback of the future be damned - Geno checks every box, and they need to lock that man up.

I wouldn't be pressed at them grabbing a mid-round guy, but I'm not looking for a replacement for Geno. Geno's play will absolutely not be immediately eclipsed by a rookie signal caller.

He's doing everything right. He is enough. Pay the man his money, fix the defense with those sexy picks, and go on a damn run!

The window is NOW.

If it all falls down, then that's how it goes. A draft pick ain't a sure thing either.

Couldn't agree more. You don't let that kind of ability walk over $7 or $8 million on what's looking more and more like an outside chance his play isn't sustainable. The dude's play is about as consistent as a metronome, as efficient as a Toyota Camry, and as deadly at times as a Cobra.

And then you have to consider how much better a rookie you sign will be than Drew Lock, your current backup, who's no doubt sitting and learning everyday how to play the position in Shane's offense. He's got talent himself.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I absolutely think that Geno needs to be extended long term. He has shown consistency through 12 games that has surprised most. Probably hasn't surprised Geno. My question for .net is not how long he should be signed for, but rather how many more years can he be a viable QB? He is currently 32. Can he play until hes 40 or even late 30's?

Donn2390

Reaction score
John Schneider was not happy with that last drive yesterday. with every completion he could feel the dollars being removed from his wallet..!

DaveG

Reaction score
I absolutely think that Geno needs to be extended long term. He has shown consistency through 12 games that has surprised most. Probably hasn't surprised Geno. My question for .net is not how long he should be signed for, but rather how many more years can he be a viable QB? He is currently 32. Can he play until hes 40 or even late 30's?

Remember, he hasn't taken a beating like most QB's his age. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a lot of good years left.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete and John couldn't have a better relationship with Geno.

So no need to rush an extension now. They'll see where the market for Geno is after the season, then meet with him and his agent to come to an agreeable extension.

That's what good organizations do. Bad ones make knee jerk rash decisions and overpay for players they could have gotten cheaper. Not saying we can get Geno for cheaper, but you don't overpay a player mid season before you know what the market is for him first.