End of an era....

Sealake80

Reaction score
Unbeleivable.

This team has been great and also pretty damn consistent when you think about it.

IMO the reason we have players looking so talented is because of the people who put them together and how they put them together. A lot of our key guys have been mogivated and coached up way above their what their draft level typically would indicate.

We got into the playoffs and won a home game and couldn't overcome the uneven officiating driven momentum swings on the road.

We will be back next year Im sure of that. Just not sure I will be watching... Im sick of NFL wide officiating fiascos.

It would be nuts to get rid of PC and or JS.

thegameq

Reaction score
NFSeahawks628":ke0meav7 said:
RussB":ke0meav7 said:
nash72":ke0meav7 said:
Sad thing is its going to get even worse before it gets better. If Bevell and Cable don't go, it might be time for Pete to hit the road.
I agree pete is a great coach and really good dude.But at some point he needs to realize that those guys have ran the team into the ground and arent helping. If he doesnt it might be time for a new coach.

There are problems and he needs to fix them.

I agree fix them or get out.

Seconded.

Now we are going to see just how good Pete and John really are. Sadly I have a bad feeling Pete is an old-school coach that believes in being loyal to his coaches until it becomes painfully obvious the team is no longer good. At that point he will simply move on.

Somewhat off-topic; but watching the slow and painful decline of the Seahawks has made me develop an appreciation for what Belichick (Sp?) manages to do no matter the circumstances. The Pats are always competitive, well coached and disciplined. They have figured out how to be consistently superior in the salary cap/free-agency era. I had really hoped that Pete and John had figured it out as well--but I can see they clearly don't. I see an old-school draft talent=>amass talent=>make a run=>then slowly fall off formula that is all to familiar in the NFL. That formula leaves way to much to chance and luck instead of coaching IMO. The salary cap and free agency has placed a premium on coaching rather than just trying to amass talent, then make a run. Similar to how the aero-template has taken away the advantage of having a more aerodynamic car in NASCAR and placed more emphasis on the actual skill of the driver.

Pete and John need to evolve this team and their philosophy quickly because the Seahawks are no longer an elite team and can no longer live off of their Super Bowl victory. They have fell back into the pack of being just another contender.

LolaRox

Reaction score
el capitan":4pu5lrt3 said:
You are always a contender as long as you have a franchise QB. The fundamental issue is that too much money has been spent on an aging D at the expense of the O-line.

I don't believe there is another team in the league with a franchise QB who would've risked the health of said QB by making him play behind a line as abysmally bad as ours. If we are going to win another title we need to invest in RW.

I don't agree that problem is how much money is being spent on the Oline, but rather selection and development of the line. That is JS and Cable.

Cable has had multiple first rounders and hasn't developed any of them into anything special. I don't believe even if you paid for FA that his line would look more than marginally better. He hasn't produced a great line ever (at least since his ATL days). So then the question becomes do you pay top dollar for a marginally better oline?

The fundamental issue with this line and offense is Tom Cable.

BigBill1945":4pu5lrt3 said:
nash72":4pu5lrt3 said:
Sad thing is its going to get even worse before it gets better. If Bevell and Cable don't go, it might be time for Pete to hit the road.

Cable has done well with this POS line. They are pathetic.

This IS Cable's POS line. He has a say in the players they draft and is responsible to develop and coach them up. He has failed spectacularly.

dgleighton

Reaction score
TAB420":h87zkxss said:
Whatever, you guys make me sick. Do you know how many seasons have ended for me in which I would have loved to have gone 10-5-1 with a playoff win. We lost Lockett and Thomas, two huge pieces on both sides. We need to get healthily and add some help to the O-line through free agency, that's it. This team has another 3-5 years before the window even starts to close.

Dito:

Bad year for many reasons:

Offense Line craped the bed consistently and needs some help.

Need to bolster the secondary.

Whether it's coaching, scheme or different pieces up front pass rush needs help inside.

Still a ton of talent on this team that very recently went to 2 super bowls and won one. Put some tissue in your nose and stop your own bleeding. This team will be fine, with or without you...

HommyHawk

Reaction score
R.I.P. here lies the fair weather twelves.Your presence will be missed like a Haushka extra point.see you when we're"good" again.

NJlargent

Reaction score
Everything is great. We will be a SB contender next year. Ignore the fact we have been declining every year since 2013

Sign37now

Reaction score
Jesus, now I know why AROS bailed. (For a while at least) I bought season tickets in 1996 with John Frieze at QB. that was a long stretch of shit seasons. I've never been more pissed than the Vinny helmet TD that cost us a 6th seed and eliminated us. I would have killed for a berth that year. And now all these bandwagon pukes come in here and want to throw in the towel after yet another division title and playoff run after the most injury riddled season I can ever remember with the worst Oline in history.....

Please go back to rooting for whatever team you used to root for before 2013. You make me sick.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
I think this year was the rebuilding year. This was the attitude they had in the offseason going way young w 14 rooks on the original 53 loaded with athletes. We are a young team.

I think this was the "skip" before the ride back up, to be honest. Say what you will about the OLine, it's young and athletic and a few spots are very solid. They showed they can dominate at times; inconsistency is rooted in youth and it manifest itself this season. They will he a lot better next season even if they change nothing there. But I think they will move Fant to the right and choose the best two of he, Rees, and Gilliam for next season and do SOMEHING to get a high level LT. I think that's the plan all along anyway.

Clark another year, Reed another year. NEED a good draft w immediate impact.

And we need us some Earl. Some Lockett. PRich. I think we have good RBs.

We good. Russell isn't a robot. He has at least two SBs left in him. Think about it. We have 6-8 more years with this guy.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Every year is a different story. What did we learn?

Of course, injuries will kill any run.
Russell needs a real running back. Marshawns dont grow on trees.
Rawls is definitely a try hard guy but I dont think he can make a defense drop 8 in the box and wear em out.
Sherman was nursing injuries but he tried his rear off.
The entire secondary needs to get faster to cover against great passing teams
It sucks to be eliminated before Houston, even if it is 4 hours apart.

Solid run despite not being dominant anywhere on the field this year.
I dont think the window is closed, The window just needs a little cleanser and elbow grease an it'll open right up.

nash72

Reaction score
NJlargent":3ej0d9qh said:
Everything is great. We will be a SB contender next year. Ignore the fact we have been declining every year since 2013

This. Why is it so hard for some people to see this, and lord help you if you do because then your only a fair weather, bandwagon fan. Its unbelievable how many people think everythings hunky dory and no changes needed.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Shocks me to see people feeling this way. I saw a stat that this was the 6th or 7th youngest team in the league at 26-something. Our core is still mostly in their prime and not in decline. There is no reason to think the window is gone.

That being said they have to make some changes. The Patriots keep re-inventing themselves which along with Brady is the beauty of their run. The Broncos after getting dismantled by us made their D more physical etc and changed things up.

I think on the defensive side they coaches need to look at where we seem to get beat in the scheme and make some more adjustments to that base cover 3 to change it up. Teams have adapted to us, now it's our turn. Need to draft some depth in the back end too.

I am torn on the 0-line. Those guys are young so do you stick with to get better or spend high draft picks and then need those guys to develop? If there is one thing our offensve is lacking it's dump of passes to the backs etc on third down to keep the sticks moving. Especially with a QB who can buy time like Russ we should always have an outlet for him to dump the ball off to. That puts big pressure on the linebackers on what to do. That might be where we really missed Procise.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
nash72":1hut9tc0 said:
NJlargent":1hut9tc0 said:

This. Why is it so hard for some people to see this, and lord help you if you do because then your only a fair weather, bandwagon fan. Its unbelievable how many people think everythings hunky dory and no changes needed.

Actually I think the staff was a year ahead of you and last offseason was the reload. We came out of camp w 14 rooks on our 53 w no real high level FA adds or trades. Went all young.

This was the bottom, no we go back up. They're way ahead of us. That's why they coach and we don't.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":3grz1hlk said:
NJlargent":3grz1hlk said:

TRUE. Dynasty-styled organizations thrive on honesty. Make the moves needed to ensure the greatest chance for success. Dancing about declaring oneself a "true" fan because they blindly support a team isn't a fan - it's a groupie.

REAL Hawk fans know what's up - this team needs some changes ASAP.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
Some of you need to go cool down and come back when you're thinking more clearly. This is hardly the end of an era. There are obvious things to be fixed but there's a lot to still keep us competative for years to come. HAVE FAITH!

LolaRox

Reaction score
I don't think its the end of era, but there are definite issues that need to be addressed to change the current trajectory.

modernman

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1qaz3ft2 said:
I think this year was the rebuilding year. This was the attitude they had in the offseason going way young w 14 rooks on the original 53 loaded with athletes. We are a young team.

I think this was the "skip" before the ride back up, to be honest. Say what you will about the OLine, it's young and athletic and a few spots are very solid. They showed they can dominate at times; inconsistency is rooted in youth and it manifest itself this season. They will he a lot better next season even if they change nothing there. But I think they will move Fant to the right and choose the best two of he, Rees, and Gilliam for next season and do SOMEHING to get a high level LT. I think that's the plan all along anyway.

Clark another year, Reed another year. NEED a good draft w immediate impact.

And we need us some Earl. Some Lockett. PRich. I think we have good RBs.

We good. Russell isn't a robot. He has at least two SBs left in him. Think about it. We have 6-8 more years with this guy.

^ This...I was about to say nearly the same about this being our rebuilding year......

We are a Coordinator or Two from getting 'right'.

stmcmurray

Reaction score
Wow, it never ceases to amaze me the negativity on this board. As others have said, I've been a Seahawks fan for over 30 years and can only dream of a run like this. It's far from over! 5 straight division round appearances, only NE can say that.