DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
At least Aaron Curry played...worst draft bust in team history? Good riddance and best thing to do moving fwd. Stop drafting players with character issues.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
lukerguy":3qec45ww said:
I know this sucks for us, but can you imagine being so talented and having so much potential but not having the emotional or mental IQ to capitalize?

This guy could have been Aaron Donald with the right make up and tutelage, love, and support. I think the Seahawks were hoping they would have a chance to help him in this regard.

Anyways, yeah sucks really bad.

Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

This is a sensible approach

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
ducks41468":1q34eth4 said:
The guy's an idiot. It's not even about the ATV incident, it's about the police incident. He had to have been told multiple times that he was on thin ice after the ATV incident and then he pulls the second stunt, which shows a complete disregard for the team. This sort of thing should have been filtered out during the interview process and he shouldn't have been drafted, but the FO has gotten arrogant.

This I TOTALLY agree with. The ATV incident I can let go as he is a kid. The POPO incident...naw man. That dont cut it. I was young once. I dont ride with a helmet. I am an intelligent person that understands the risks with my life. I do it as I wish to as I have control. I know....blah blah blah.....you do what you want to with your life....I earned the right to do what I want to with mine.

But Ducks Gets it.

chris98251

Reaction score
He may be cleared for normal activities but our staff may have reservations or see possible indicators he could reinjure himself some way and not want that responsibility. The kid may want to play and want the money, the risk and bad publicity of him possibly laying on the field with a ambulance coming out may be not worth it, then you start the blame game of why was he even out there and point figures at the Medical staff, Pete, John and the ownership.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":1q8go3su said:
Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.

Because they were supposed to connect his "lack of motivation and bad interviews" red flags with not wearing his helmet during an ATV ride. :roll:

This is gonna be a long season.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Accountability for players. None for FO.
Compete all the time for players ... NONE for FO and coaching staff.

I want to be optimistic, but I just don't see how this team wins 8 games next season.
CalgaryHawk":5bgtoq87 said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse:
2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore
In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).
This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
I don't understand the point of releasing him. If he isn't cleared on NFI, then the Seahawks are required to pay him nothing. They think our team doctors are more stringent than the rest of the NFL?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
chris98251":1s1fjlfi said:
He may be cleared for normal activities but our staff may have reservations or see possible indicators he could reinjure himself some way and not want that responsibility. The kid may want to play and want the money, the risk and bad publicity of him possibly laying on the field with a ambulance coming out may be not worth it, then you start the blame game of why was he even out there and point figures at the Medical staff, Pete, John and the ownership.

WigglyDemandingCur max 1mb

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I don’t get why there is all this negativity.

No team has a perfect drafting record and that is why teams at the bottom tend to stay near the bottom as they swing and miss on critical draft picks or can’t keep those they were right about. Imagine the differences that would be available for the Browns if they’d got just one of their gazillion first round QB picks right. They simply should have gone and traded for one that was proven and picked other positions instead of creating a culture of failure.

Calgary’s observation though is quite apt and the many early round picks traded away for players not here anymore (Harvin, Graham, and Richardson) that the team had to pay big money to is now showing as the draft record shows little in the way of consistent early round drafting. Schneider (read Pete) needs to stop swinging for the fence and to draft for the development of the team. The worst part of these three lousy deals is it also created cap problems and the players acquired aren’t around anymore whereas quality early picks may just still be as the team created cap space to keep them. Those missing draft picks could easily have been busts but each would have offered a cheaper smarter longer term solution to some positional needs. Maybe some would have been busts but they may not have cost the stupid money given to those three. All three of those picks and few other poor choices have created the cap mess they are trying to clear up by ridding the team of several expensive players who perhaps weren’t completely all in and had a a different agenda than that of the team. It’s time to get back to picking the best player rather than picking for need.

I frankly don’t fault the FO for the McDowell pick b/c he could have been and might still eventually become a high quality DLineman. The sad part is the team was high on him until he screwed up by taking a stupid youthful dangerous risk. Was this b/c of his character, or b/c he was young and dumb? Who are the other significant character risks besides Harvin who double whammied the FO and Clark who has proven to be complete success and worth far more than his draft position? Let’s identify all these character flawed players that have lead to the downfall of the team due to the negligence of the FO

Placing the blame for this injury to McDowell by blaming the FO for drafting him b/c he was character flawed and “they repeatedly ignore character issues” is genuine hypebole and in reality untrue. It also fails to recognize this young man was very young and still immature but was/is Uber talented as a DLineman with exceptional athletic ability. Perhaps he was a swing for the fence, but one many draft experts thought was a pick with good value. Shortly after of course he cracked his coconut and the front office was of course foolish, shortsighted, exemplifying their disregard for character. Clearly if this young man is cut and never plays a down that sucks and the pick was a mistake when the margin for error had been made very narrow by other more structural mistakes and the trifecta of dumb draft pick then overpaying for experienced players trades. The pick was a mistake but that is only presently clear in hindsight his character had little to do with him possibly fracturing his skull, his youthful I’m bullet proof stupidly certainly did. His nightclub arrogance displayed when he should have been invisible and recovering has done more to create a more negative impression on him than I feel anything to do with his accident other than he isn’t being transparent.

My comments here and above are not directed at any poster but rather at being correct and assigning blame where it is correctly due. McDowell caused the problem and may have thrown away a potentially successful career by being young and dumb and perhaps unlucky. That wasn’t Schneider’s fault, or Pete’s or anyone other than McDowell’s.

We here and perhaps even the team even now still don’t know the details of this ATV accident, how and what precisely happened. We don’t know what precisely the injury was, how it needed to be treated, what the timing of full recovery will be, or if full recovery is even possible. He suffered a very extreme concussion is all I know for sure. I suspect the bonus claw back potential is keeping McDowell’s side quiet, but the team is very close to being fed up and starting to think it’s time to move on. McDowell’s representation has misplayed this situation. Something for nothing doesn’t sell even with all the raw potential of this player.

I clearly am not blaming the FO but it does suck and is a darn shame.

Willyeye

Reaction score
My gut on this tells me that he incurred some sort of brain damage and it may have affected one or more of his motor skills. He might not run as fast. He could have poor balance. His situational thought processing may have slowed down.

The whole thing about letting other team's doctors clear him to play, and allowing him to come back and play on another team, maybe as the next Aaron Donald, that just makes zero sense.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that he has some permanent damage and he is no longer anywhere close to being the athlete he was a year ago.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Good post!

Most likely correct, but we just don’t know b/c of the silence mandated by the rules.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seymour":1003hk0m said:
Blitzer88":1003hk0m said:
Seymour":1003hk0m said:
This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Good riddance to another loser IMO.

Yes cause his red flags also consisted of his propensity to ride atv's without a helmet.............

Red flags were there on poor judgement, immaturity, and lack of commitment. One NFL exec. claimed "it was worst interview he's ever done". That is exactly what happened with him....but defend away.
+1

kf3339

Reaction score
To me this is just another potential nail in both JS and PC in relation to their jobs with this team. Just too many red flags on McDowell to let this go.

JS says trust the process, and PC says always compete. But what about them? What process are they being evaluated on by PA? Just look at the last 4-5 drafts. That's a pattern. Look also at our declining W/L record the last several years. That's a pattern as well.

No, the coaching moves were necessary for this off season. But depending on this season's results (not just the record) and you could see one or both moving on from this team next year. Just saying.....

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":wtuuu7de said:
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seahawks-meeting-with-malik-mcdowell-obi-melifonwu

Holy crap, if we got Obi that would be awesome and I know there are many here who would be just as excited. Bring him here please.

Status
Not open for further replies.