DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There have been lots of players come to the league with character red flags, some revert to true form and some grow up. This player screwed himself up with a high risk activitythat went bad for him. Was the engaging in the activity b/c of his bad character or pure youthful exuberance and stupidity both could be argued? To me it's simply foisting your negative agenda upon the FO to say the team screwed up with this pick. Had he actually played last year he might have been just fine as the reports about him fromTC were quite positive. However, now he has a busted coconut and may never play again b/c of it.

toffee

Reaction score
Do we get some sort of compensation. Draft pick from the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Seymour":2go1ke1d said:
Blitzer88":2go1ke1d said:
Seymour":2go1ke1d said:
This is what happens when you rePETEdly ignore red flags!

Good riddance to another loser IMO.

Yes cause his red flags also consisted of his propensity to ride atv's without a helmet.............

Red flags were there on poor judgement, immaturity, and lack of commitment. One NFL exec. claimed "it was worst interview he's ever done". That is exactly what happened with him....but defend away.

The interview bashing didn't stop at one.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...k-mcdowells-interview-was-combines-worst/amp/

Don't forget about his arrest in Georgia. He was way out of line. He's a child. It stinks that this is what it might come down to, but I understand it. Personally, I thought he was a terrible pick. This team was fortunate to have gotten Naz Jones. He probably won't give you the pass rush that a 100% effort McDowell would, but he's a stud regardless. Heck, I'm not even sure if this team would ever see a 100% effort McDowell, even if he did play.

Seymour

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1mbkyl1g said:
There have been lots of players come to the league with character red flags, some revert to true form and some grow up. This player screwed himself up with a high risk activitythat went bad for him. Was the engaging in the activity b/c of his bad character or pure youthful exuberance and stupidity both could be argued? To me it's simply foisting your negative agenda upon the FO to say the team screwed up with this pick. Had he actually played last year he might have been just fine as the reports about him fromTC were quite positive. However, now he has a busted coconut and may never play again b/c of it.

Is "negative agenda toward the FO" to me? If so, show me this please. I mostly like Pete, but I will call out what I see wrong again and again when I see it.... with Pete or anyone making decisions I disagree with. My agenda is winning.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Told you he would never take a snap as a Seahawk. Brutal.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Daaaamn. That really sucks, what a waste of a pick. Could've had some solid players instead.... such is the draft I guess.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DavisHsuSeattle/status/986001889522143232[/tweet]

red grenadine

Reaction score
Can we please put a "No ATVs" clause in our rookie contracts?

- Signed also SF Giants management

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
At the risk of beating a dead horse:

2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore

In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).

This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.

mikeak

Reaction score
Fact remains that he was a huge red flag especially around maturity and love and interest for the game. Yet we drafted him but hey maybe we would have gotten Reuben Foster instead so from that perspective maybe his was a better PR situation....

Nobody on this forum knows if we can go after part of the signing bonus or not. Unless I am wrong in my belief that someone here read the contract. We simply don’t know what was / wasn’t excluded and none of the articles that I have read confirms either that this was an allowed / non allowed activity

Cap impact will be tied to that contract language

There is no way the NFL gives us a comp pick. We took a risk and they don’t want to reward drafting players with risks

ducks41468

Reaction score
The guy's an idiot. It's not even about the ATV incident, it's about the police incident. He had to have been told multiple times that he was on thin ice after the ATV incident and then he pulls the second stunt, which shows a complete disregard for the team. This sort of thing should have been filtered out during the interview process and he shouldn't have been drafted, but the FO has gotten arrogant.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I know this sucks for us, but can you imagine being so talented and having so much potential but not having the emotional or mental IQ to capitalize?

This guy could have been Aaron Donald with the right make up and tutelage, love, and support. I think the Seahawks were hoping they would have a chance to help him in this regard.

Anyways, yeah sucks really bad.

Frank Clark was a similar risk, and why he dropped to the 2nd.. Risk/Reward..sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

D

DomeHawk

He probably has an adviser that has taught him how to protect his money. In many states your house is totally protected from any kind of seizure.

rcaido

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":3gvorr7l said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse:

2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore

In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).

This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.

Is this sarcasm?

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":14mjdpvn said:
Nobody on this forum knows if we can go after part of the signing bonus or not. Unless I am wrong in my belief that someone here read the contract. We simply don’t know what was / wasn’t excluded and none of the articles that I have read confirms either that this was an allowed / non allowed activity

Cap impact will be tied to that contract language

Although true that we don't know for sure what was in his contract, his injury was Not Football Related, so unless they had seriously poor contract writing, it's likely that they can get some of the cap room back. The issue though, is that we don't know if they will want to. This organization with this front office has been consistent about doing the players a solid on the way out the door, so even if they can (which is more than likely the case) they very well may not go after that Signing bonus. That type of good will goes a long ways in negotiations with other players you want to bring in.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
You can make all the excuses you want and spin until you vomit but if he exits the Hawks with out ever seeing so much as the practice field then trusting our second round pick on him was undoubtedly a mistake. No ands , but’s, or or’s either.

RCATES

Reaction score
Another terrible pick by this FO that will haunt this franchise for the next 10 years. Basically pissed away two second round picks. We could have had our future starting left tackle in last years draft. But no Pete and John think they're clever and always trade out. What a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.