DT Malik McDowell expected to be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1v5ulrs2 said:
No, I just think you're uninformed on the topic. If you use Approximate Value, the 2015, 2016, and 2017 Seahawks drafts have each exceeded expectations.

Follow the link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... 550c11ea98

Wait a sec.

So I said the Seahawks drafted insanely well from 2010-2012 and have in the aggregate drafted poorly since then, and you're saying I'm "uninformed on the topic" because you have a link that shows that the Seahawks drafted insanely well from 2010-2012 and have in the aggregate drafted poorly since then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean, let's take the link seriously. from 2013 through 2016 the Seahawks made 38 draft picks. From your own link, across 2013-2016 the Seahawks' five best picks have been Tyler Lockett, Justin Britt, Spencer Ware (who they cut), Mark Glowinski, and Germain Ifedi.

If you think that's awesome and great, more power to you, but it's not something I'm willing to argue about any further.

Later, man.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":33fn71eo said:
hawknation2018":33fn71eo said:
No, I just think you're uninformed on the topic. If you use Approximate Value, the 2015, 2016, and 2017 Seahawks drafts have each exceeded expectations.

Follow the link:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... 550c11ea98

Wait a sec.

So I said the Seahawks drafted insanely well from 2010-2012 and have in the aggregate drafted poorly since then, and you're saying I'm "uninformed on the topic" because you have a link that shows that the Seahawks drafted insanely well from 2010-2012 and have in the aggregate drafted poorly since then?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean, let's take the link seriously. from 2013 through 2016 the Seahawks made 38 draft picks. From your own link, across 2013-2016 the Seahawks' five best picks have been Tyler Lockett, Justin Britt, Spencer Ware (who they cut), Mark Glowinski, and Germain Ifedi.

If you think that's awesome and great, more power to you, but it's not something I'm willing to argue about any further.

Later, man.

Uh, no.

You said, and I quote, the Seahawks had an "incredibly poor draft run from 2013 through 2017."

I showed you data that proves the Seahawks drafts in 2015, 2016, and 2017 have each been above expectation (and have gotten increasingly better since 2015). Those drafts were each above average, not poor, much less "incredibly poor."

The only below average draft "run" came in two classes -- 2013 and 2014 -- which were coincidentally (or not) the two-consecutive years in which the Seahawks won the NFC title and went to the Super Bowl.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2018":304p9aos said:
I showed you data that proves the Seahawks drafts in 2015, 2016, and 2017 have each been above expectation

Kinda hard when there is no 2017.

(and have gotten increasingly better since 2015).

Kinda hard when 2016 is worse than 2015.

The only below average draft "run" came in two classes -- 2013 and 2014

Kinda hard to start pretending they don't exist when I said the Seahawks have drafted very poorly since 2013. If you're more of a visual learner there's even a picture that graphically displays my statement at your own link.

Again, the absolutely highlights of four years of drafting at your link are Tyler Lockett, Justin Britt, Spencer Ware (who they cut), Mark Glowinski, and Germain Ifedi. As far as performance goes those five are the top 10% for performance over those draft years.

You think that's great. I don't.

This is exceptionally boring for everybody. Cuz nobody cares I'm putting you back on ignore now, man. Feel free to do the same. :2thumbs:

Seymour

Reaction score
Popeyejones":6okhf66q said:
hawknation2018":6okhf66q said:
I showed you data that proves the Seahawks drafts in 2015, 2016, and 2017 have each been above expectation

Kinda hard to start pretending they don't exist when I said the Seahawks have drafted very poorly since 2013. If you're more of a visual learner there's even a picture that graphically displays my statement at your own link.

Again, the absolutely highlights of four years of drafting at your link are Tyler Lockett, Justin Britt, Spencer Ware (who they cut), Mark Glowinski, and Germain Ifedi. As far as performance goes those five are the top 10% for performance over those draft years.

This is exceptionally boring for everybody. Cuz nobody cares I'm putting you back on ignore now, man. Feel free to do the same. :2thumbs:

Wise move! I only have to see it when quoted also. :2thumbs:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Some pretty good picks in the 2017 draft, and way too early to assume it's a bad draft.
Pocic has some potential, even though many act like he's already a bust. Same thing they were saying about Britt.
Shaq Griffin was clearly a damn good pick, and in the 3rd rd, solid value.
Delano Hill, Tedric Thompson and Mike Tyson will get their chance to show what they have soon enough.
Naz Jones in the 3rd, he looks like a beast.
Too early to decide on Darboh as well.
Carson clearly has some skills, and in the 7th round? Win

That's a pretty good draft right there. But, I'm sure people will just point out Malik and nothing else.

mrt144

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1vtwxpiy said:
Popeyejones":1vtwxpiy said:
(2) PC/JS having what has been a comparatively incredibly poor draft run from 2013 through 2017, and even more so when you consider the picks they've given up in trade and what they've gotten from those trades.

That's incorrect. If you actually evaluate those drafts by expectation, as measured by Approximate Value, the 2015, 2016, and 2017 drafts were all ABOVE AVERAGE in comparison to the rest of the league.

Taken as a whole, the Carroll/Schneider Seahawks regime has been "the best talent evaluator of the past 21 years."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fan ... t-20-years

In vaunting the talent evaluation, it undercuts the coaching ability.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":3r6v78xq said:
seahawkfreak":3r6v78xq said:
KitsapGuy":3r6v78xq said:
http://seahawksdraftblog.com/seahawks-meeting-with-malik-mcdowell-obi-melifonwu

Holy crap, if we got Obi that would be awesome and I know there are many here who would be just as excited. Bring him here please.
He's on ir at the raiders. Are you ok?

I'm fine thank you. I didn't look at the dates and thought maybe there was some deal in the works.
Always appreciate the passive aggressive sarcasm though.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
CalgaryHawk":1eprrz4i said:
At the risk of beating a dead horse:

2013 draft - no 1st round pick and no drafted players remain on team. Luke Wilson was ok as a sometimes starter.
2014 draft - no 1st round pick, Justin Britt is only player remaining on this team. Richardson was good when healthy.
2015 draft - no 1st round pick, and Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett are only drafted players left on team
2016 draft - Ifedi and Reed have contributed. Odhiambo, Prosise, Jefferson, and Vannett have at least played
2017 draft - no first round pick and no contribution from their 2nd round pick McDowell. Pocic, Griffin, Jones, and Carson all look decent so far though. TBD on Hill, Darboh, Thompson, Tyson, and Moore

In the last 5 drafts, the Seahawks have drafted no superstars, 3 above-average level starters (Clark, Reed, Griffin), 3 average-level starters (Britt, Lockett, and Richardson), three below-average level starters (Willson, Ifedi and Pocic), and several current backups with future starting potential (Jones, Carson, Prosise, Vannett, Hill, Darboh, Thompson, and maybe Odhiambo at guard).

This seems like a less than average return to me, with no superstars, and an average of about 2 starters per draft.
Very depressing when it's listed all together like this.

Chiekamon

Reaction score
Release him and just move on, nothing else needs to be said.

SeaChat

Reaction score
I’m trying to confirm this story, and forgive me if I don’t take everything Ian Rapoport reports as gospel. I do note that in every story I have found it does say “that while the Seahawks have not confirmed” and then go on with the insistence that they are going to let him go.

The whole secrecy thing with the family, and our team doctors, regarding any real details about the injury he incurred or if he will ever be cleared to play again in the NFL. If he can’t pass a physical to play again in Seattle, he won’t likely be able to pass that physical anywhere else either is maddening.

A physical is a physical and no Dr is going to stick his professional PeePee on the chopping block in order for Malik to clear and play for another team in the NFL, if he legitimately has an injury that is preventing him from playing or that might result in a more serious or threatening type situation from allowing him to play again.

My multimillion dollar question is if the docs are saying he’ll never be able to pass a physical because of the nature of his injury, or if they are just saying that he needs a little more time to be cleared, expecting that once cleared he could potentially reach his initially hoped play level.

If that’s the scenario, with as little as we have to pay him to set out awhile longer, with the potential payoff of a healthy Malik taking the field anytime for us in the near future, I’d think the Seahawks might just hold up awhile longer and give things a little while longer.

If his injury is projected permanent with little to no hope of a full or near full recovery that would allow him to play anywhere near his projected potential, then I would wonder why Pete and John wouldn’t have handed him his pink slip and said Audios already.

It’s frustrating as hell from a fans standpoint, not knowing if we should be getting Malik’s back and supporting his being given time to prove his worth, or if we need to be encouraging the Home Office to cut bait, reel up and head for a better fishing hole.

Given that Malik hasn’t been cut yet leaves me wondering if even Seattle can’t figure out what the real deal with guy is and what to do with him. I don’t think his being a problem child as a reason for getting rid of him.

Pete has a soft spot for problem children and is notorious for taking them under his wing and giving them second chances, which have paid off more times than not over the years for him and us.

I guess the truth of all of this is going to spill out of the closet, one way or the other pretty quickly. I really am hoping that Ian is proven wrong and Malik proves to be a phenom one day in the near distant future.

Go Seahawks!

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Popeyejones":5dz1jy5j said:
hawknation2018":5dz1jy5j said:

Getting slightly off useless stats, Lockett, Britt, Clark, and Richardson aren't exactly a poor haul for a bunch of second-rounders.

The bigger issue is that you need real difference-makers, too. Standouts. Seattle has some, but also let three big ones go over the offseason.

2015's first rounder went to Jimmy Graham. He was a difference maker, albeit misused, and one of the three difference-makers we just let go.

2014's first rounder became Paul Richardson, Cassius Marsh, Kevin Norwood, Garrett Scott, and Kiero Small. Imagine if they had all been Luke Willson and Quinton Jeffersons instead. It would have made a difference on our roster. Instead, our late round picks since 2012 haven't been making the team for the most part, and that's partially down to injury luck and partially down to scouting and development. If you're going to perpetually trade away our first-rounders for extra picks, you need to be doing something with them other than drafting Eric Pinkins.

Which is a big part of why I'm distinctly meh on trading down anymore. We're at #18; let's go get someone who will just lay the wood for once, make the players around him better.

2013's first rounder went to Percy Harvin. Gamble lost.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
RCATES":3c9kzsgw said:
jammerhawk":3c9kzsgw said:
I don’t get why there is all this negativity.

It's really quite simple. Hawks had 2 legit starting Offensive Tackles on the board for the taking when they got cute again and traded out. They then did what most teams won't and went after a player with a troubled back round and a semi head case. This pick now has pissed away 3x 2nd round picks and a 5th. 1 2nd for the Richardson trade, 1 2nd and a 5th for the Brown trade which wouldn't have happened if you stayed put in the 1st round and drafted a tackle. And obviously another 2nd for Malik being a dumbass which other teams clearly knew and stayed away from. All of these events were directly because of the Malik pick and injury. With how god awful JS and been in the last few drafts you simply can't afford to give away 3x 2nd rounders.

I realize you're pretty much just ignoring anyone who has a different opinion at this point, but Seattle went and got their top-flight OT towards the end of the year and it didn't do squat for the offense. One guy was never going to. So I'd be going along with your hindsight more if it weren't just more "the only position that matters is the OL" mentality in disguised.

They've lost on a lot of gambles in the last few years, high-risk high-reward gambles (Percy, Graham, Malik had Calais Campbell ceiling, a lot of the OL had huge potential if they could just be developed). They've felt free to make these gambles because Wilson + defense were on the team. They gambled and lost. It sucks, it's frustrating, but there really isn't one thing you can point to and say "this is what they could have avoided doing".

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2imb8hpt said:
hawknation2018":2imb8hpt said:

You have to do the math to update the classes with another year of AV totals. 2016 improves significantly because there were so many starts from that class last year. 2017 was even better in terms of exceeding expected AV.

All of this disproves your FALSE claim that the the 2015, 2016, and 2017 draft classes were "incredibly poor."

WmHBonney

Reaction score
B b b b bye
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bruce Irvin, Frank Clark, Marshawn Lynch, Percy Harvin, Brandon Browner, Malik McDowell, all players that had questionable issues of some sort.

There are hits and misses, when we miss it's bad.

But look at our hits also.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If the team were to have not traded for Harvin, Graham, and Richardson CalgaryHawk would be able to point to some early round picks that would potentially still be on the team and the the team wouldn’t have had to eat the contracts of Harvin Graham and Richardson either. Those contracts in a large way created their cap mess and the mess has cost the the team some quality players they likely should have kept.

Thing is as well for none of these three short sighted deals where the players weren’t great fits will the team acquire a comp pick b/c of the other cap machinations with one year cheap deals so our numbers are low and FA replacements had to be acquired, this has ended any comp pick return for some significant roster losses. In short this situation was badly managed and a short term draft focus for need was taken instead of a more dependable build through the draft approach taken. I think the team was going for it with the old crew and were let down by the OLine and running game.

In the end however the moves created a situation where the new guys weren’t getting on the field and the old guys were breaking down with injury after injury. Along comes the bust of Mc Dowell through no fairly held view of the FO except he was a character gamble with Uber top level potential because the kid at 20 made a childish risky decision to city ride an ATV and crashed and he on his own destroyed his career, but the team needed a draft infusion of talent on the DLine and he busted. There was little the team could do but sign Richardson which truly was a sub optimal tranasction that was made worse b/c of McDowell’s self imposed bust.

The situation was handled poorly by McDowell’s people as no news was released so we all got focused upon his draft time negatives surrounding his character then that got emphasized by McDowelll’s night club nonsense which caused some to think the negatives were true when you were genuinely looking at more stupidity from the player. At this stage we don’t truly know WTF his genuine health status is right now, but sadly I too think he’s busted and we won’t see him play here or ever.

The loss of the player hurt more than at other times b/c there was a truly narrow margin for error and he took the team outside the margin forcing the Richardson deal which was a bad deal for the team.now we won’t have either and gave up 2 2 plus high draft picks for zippo, nada, zilch. This is a truly unfortunate situation

12HawkFan

Reaction score
When it's all over and MM is cut and done with the NFL the TRUTH will come out, it always does, and I for one won't be one bit surprised to find out that what happened to MM had nothing to do with an ATV accident and that the Seahawks were warned early on by MM's legal reps to not leak one little dribble of medical info or face a mega lawsuit.

The truth being exposed may very well have violated a "careless types of acts" clause that most if not all professional athletes have in big money contracts and MM's legal reps knew it and covered their tracks well, it's really the only thing that makes any sense to the super secret level of zero info about what actually happened.

The Seahawks will learn from this experience and move on and I support them getting 100% of any monies they can, back from him, the team owes him ZERO.

GO HAWKS!!!

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Even if McDowell were to eventually get cleared to play in a year, that would be two years out of football games for him and he doesn’t appear to be the type of self- motivated individual who would keep himself in tip top shape on his own. I hope I’m wrong, and he does recover and play well for the Hawks for a year or two, because this wasted draft pick bugs me even more than the Harvin trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.