Do you want Geno next season?

Do you want Geno back at QB next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
So what you are saying is we get rid of our star players for even better players to make it possible for Geno to win? Alrighty then, that makes perfect sense.

Because getting an elite QB that can utilize them is just too complicated.

Oh, you forgot Walker is not McCaffrey. I'll have to agree with you on that.
Don't need "elite"..We never had one.
There is one or two in the NFL and that's it,so forget that.
The Niners have a last pick in NFL game managing great
that is all we need.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This team needs weapons for Geno to be our QB1 for the next 3 - 4 years.

We need to add difference makers like Deebo, Aiyuk, Kupp, Kittle, and/or Bosa.

Until we get a few of them, we're carrying a knife into a gun fight with the Niners and Rams (when healthy).

So no need to have a good QB because that QB doesn't have weapons?

Geno had, and still has plenty of weapons to be a very good NFL QB. As he showed this year by setting franchise records for yards, cmp%, etc and throwing 30 TD's.

This team's problem was, and still is entirely on the defensive side of the ball.

You're also discounting what Geno means to that locker room. His teammates LOVE him, and rallied around him all year. That holds tremendous value when you're trying to build a roster.

Give Geno a decent 2-3 year deal, and try to draft a QB if you like one in this years or next years draft. Having Geno doesn't preclude you from drafting a QB. All signing Geno does is stabilize your QB position as you're building out the rest of your roster.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
So no need to have a good QB because that QB doesn't have weapons?

Geno had, and still has plenty of weapons to be a very good NFL QB. As he showed this year by setting franchise records for yards, cmp%, etc and throwing 30 TD's.

This team's problem was, and still is entirely on the defensive side of the ball.

You're also discounting what Geno means to that locker room. His teammates LOVE him, and rallied around him all year. That holds tremendous value when you're trying to build a roster.

Give Geno a decent 2-3 year deal, and try to draft a QB if you like one in this years or next years draft. Having Geno doesn't preclude you from drafting a QB. All signing Geno does is stabilize your QB position as you're building out the rest of your roster.
I agree that the team's problem is predominately on the defensive side of the ball, but I'm keenly interested in understanding how you propose to manage the 2023 cap and sign Geno on a "decent 2-3 year deal".

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I agree that the team's problem is predominately on the defensive side of the ball, but I'm keenly interested in understanding how you propose to manage the 2023 cap and sign Geno on a "decent 2-3 year deal".

35M in cap, with at least half a dozen players you could restructure to free up more cap, or cut outright like Gabe Jackson to save 7-8M in cap.

Then backload a new contract for Geno with a small cap hit in year 1.

Bottom line, if you want to sign Geno, there's plenty of cap space. No fan should ever get hung up on cap, there's always a way.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
I want to see what he can do in 2023 now having the benefit of having one full year as the starter here under his belt. I was impressed with his QB play this season. Obviously he put up elite numbers, and protected the ball well. And I also got the sense that he has good toughness, so you can count on him to be there every Sunday.

I don't think Geno Smith is going to be the Seahawks solution at QB for the next ten years. But maybe, just maybe for the next three to five years.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
35M in cap, with at least half a dozen players you could restructure to free up more cap, or cut outright like Gabe Jackson to save 7-8M in cap.

Then backload a new contract for Geno with a small cap hit in year 1.

Bottom line, if you want to sign Geno, there's plenty of cap space. No fan should ever get hung up on cap, there's always a way.
The Hawks "effective cap space" is only $23M according to overthecap.com.

And I believe that the Hawks hardly ever re-structure contracts so that's not a given.

Cuts have to be made and the team has to absorb the dead money for the veteran players they cut.

It can be done as you suggest, but it won't be done without some blood-letting.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The Hawks "effective cap space" is only $23M according to overthecap.com.

And I believe that the Hawks hardly ever re-structure contracts so that's not a given.

Cuts have to be made and the team has to absorb the dead money for the veteran players they cut.

It can be done as you suggest, but it won't be done without some blood-letting.

My Gabe Jackson cutting example was taking into account his dead cap hit. 11M of cap and 3-4M of dead = 7-8M of savings.

Bottom line, it can be done, and if you listened to Pete yesterday it's about as a definitive answer as he's ever given when asked about Geno? It will be done, and I quote "We got our guy."

Last edited:

knownone

Reaction score
The Seahawks have enough weapons on offense. They could certainly use another difference-maker at receiver. But the biggest hurdle for them throughout the season was pass-blocking and run-blocking consistently against good fronts. As a result, Geno's the third-best QB in the league in terms of QBR when throwing from a clean pocket.

Geno will be better next season. He'll have a more comprehensive playbook, and the offense will be built around him and what worked this season.

hawksbydesign

Reaction score
In a rebuilding year it makes no sense to signing a QB for 20-30mil a year when you can sign Lock for 2-5mil. Again, yes Gene’s stats are very good with the current offensive weapons we currently have but he is not the guy. He got out played by Brock Purdy period.

All the winning teams from the wild card games over the weekend had QBs that played lights out at some point of the game to seal the deal. Geno is consistent but just doesn't seem like he can carry the team when the defense is playing poorly. He hasn't proven all season long. No "IT" factor at all. Brock Purdy got game.

Build the defense, OL and go with Lock and see what numbers he can put up in 2023 and draft a QB for the future.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
My Gabe Jackson cutting example was taking into account his dead cap hit. 11M of cap and 3-4M of dead = 7-8M of savings.

Bottom line, it can be done, and if you listened to Pete yesterday it's about as a definitive answer as he's ever given when asked about Geno? It will be done, and I quote "We got our guy."
Saying it and signing him are two separate actions. One doesn't necessarily follow the other.

Pete and John will have their price. If Geno demands more, they will let him walk to sign with another team.

And according to otc.com, Jackson's dead money hit will be $4.76M if cut... and the resultant cap savings will be $6.5M. Your numbers are a bit off fwiw.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Saying it and signing him are two separate actions. One doesn't necessarily follow the other.

Pete and John will have their price. If Geno demands more, they will let him walk to sign with another team.

All John has to do with Geno is slap the non-exclusive tag on him and no team's giving up two 1st rounders to outbid us.

So if Geno's not here next year? It'll be because we didn't want him, and all signs point to us wanting him.

I get that fans are having a hard time with 30M, but that's the going rate for a top 15 QB, of which Geno is that. If you don't think he can replicate this year's production? That's a conversation I'm willing to listen to, but you and others not thinking he's worth it?

That's just factually incorrect. He's in the Pro Bowl and set team records all over the place. That all equals "worth it."

billbird2111

Reaction score
I am a 49er fan. Diehard. I wanted all of you to know. I voted YES in this poll. Know why? Because the 49ers will beat the Seahawks like a DRUM for years to come with Geno Smith at QB. Guaranteed. Geno is just good enough to get you beat. All Seahawk fans saw what Geno Smith offers. When the game gets tight, Geno makes a killer mistake. He throws a pick. He fumbles the ball. He throws to the wrong receiver. This will never, ever change. Geno Smith sat on an NFL bench for YEARS. There is a reason why. You saw why this season.

It doesn't matter how much talent you surround Geno with or how strong your defense is. When Russell Wilson was QB, and the game got tight, Russell beat the other guy. He beat him like a drum. Russell completed that pass. Russell did not fumble the ball. Russell never threw to the wrong receiver. Good QB's like this do not grow on trees. They are not high draft picks. Unfortunately, QB's like Russell Wilson do not last forever. The Seahawks made the right move to ship him to Denver. Now the team needs to make the right move in choosing his successor.

It's not easy. Good QB's do not grow on trees. Spending a high first round pick on a QB is a WASTE of a pick. The 49ers spent three of them on Trey Lance. Do you really think that was a good move? You don't need a high pick to get a great QB. Russell Wilson was a third round pick. So was Joe Montana. Tom Brady was a fifth round pick. Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft. A 7th rounder. What the Seahawks need is to make the right choice.

Good luck.

Rat

Reaction score
It's not easy. Good QB's do not grow on trees. Spending a high first round pick on a QB is a WASTE of a pick. The 49ers spent three of them on Trey Lance. Do you really think that was a good move? You don't need a high pick to get a great QB. Russell Wilson was a third round pick. So was Joe Montana. Tom Brady was a fifth round pick. Brock Purdy was the last pick in the draft. A 7th rounder. What the Seahawks need is to make the right choice.
This is a specious argument. With QBs, first-rounders have a much, much higher hit rate than waiting until later. You mention Russell Wilson, he was literally the last franchise QB drafted in the third round and that was 11 years ago. Since 2000, of the 28 third-round picks used on QBs, only two became franchise QBs (7%): Russ and Matt Schaub. Brady was a sixth rounder, not a 5th rounder, and of the 47 6th round QBs drafted since 2000, a whole three became franchise QBs: Brady, Marc Bulger, (and calling this guy a franchise QB is probably a stretch) Tyrod Taylor.

Depending on hitting a on QB later is almost always a bad gamble. Guys like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Allen almost always go in the first.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I am a 49er fan. Diehard. I wanted all of you to know. I voted YES in this poll. Know why? Because the 49ers will beat the Seahawks like a DRUM for years to come with Geno Smith at QB. Guaranteed. Geno is just good enough to get you beat. All Seahawk fans saw what Geno Smith offers. When the game gets tight, Geno makes a killer mistake. He throws a pick. He fumbles the ball. He throws to the wrong receiver. This will never, ever change. Geno Smith sat on an NFL bench for YEARS. There is a reason why. You saw why this season.
I agree 100%.

We should let Geno go sign elsewhere... and sign Drew Lock to a one-year deal for the same money and incentives that Geno agreed to this year.

Draft a QB and plan to start Drew next year.

billbird2111

Reaction score
This is a specious argument. With QBs, first-rounders have a much, much higher hit rate than waiting until later. You mention Russell Wilson, he was literally the last franchise QB drafted in the third round and that was 11 years ago. Since 2000, of the 28 third-round picks used on QBs, only two became franchise QBs (7%): Russ and Matt Schaub. Brady was a sixth rounder, not a 5th rounder, and of the 47 6th round QBs drafted since 2000, a whole three became franchise QBs: Brady, Marc Bulger, (and calling this guy a franchise QB is probably a stretch) Tyrod Taylor.

Depending on hitting a on QB later is almost always a bad gamble. Guys like Patrick Mahomes, Aaron Rodgers, and Josh Allen almost always go in the first.

You are mentioning all the first round picks that turned out to be as good as advertised. Where's the list of first rounders that flopped? How about names like Todd Blackledge (7th pick in the 1983 draft)? There are others. Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Oh, here's one that might sting a bit: Rick Mirer. All of them were first round flops. The 49ers made the same mistake with Alex Smith. How many times did Alex beat the Seahawks? Maybe once. In ten years.

Drafting a great QB is a stroke of two parts: LUCK and ability to spot the right guy. But a big part of it is luck. Spotting the right guy always is.

If I'm Pete Carroll? I'm using the 5th pick in next year's draft on the best pass rushing defensive lineman to come out of the college ranks. Someone who wrecks opposing offensive lines. But I'm not using that pick on a QB.

Rat

Reaction score
You are mentioning all the first round picks that turned out to be as good as advertised. Where's the list of first rounders that flopped? How about names like Todd Blackledge (7th pick in the 1983 draft)? There are others. Joey Harrington, Tim Couch, Vince Young and Matt Leinart. Oh, here's one that might sting a bit: Rick Mirer. All of them were first round flops. The 49ers made the same mistake with Alex Smith. How many times did Alex beat the Seahawks? Maybe once. In ten years.

Drafting a great QB is a stroke of two parts: LUCK and ability to spot the right guy. But a big part of it is luck. Spotting the right guy always is.

If I'm Pete Carroll? I'm using the 5th pick in next year's draft on the best pass rushing defensive lineman to come out of the college ranks. Someone who wrecks opposing offensive lines. But I'm not using that pick on a QB.
There are flops at every position and a QB in any round is a gamble. I'm just saying statistically, you're much more likely to find a franchise QB in the first round than waiting until later. More elite QBs come from the first round, at least in modern times by FAR. Manning, Elway, Marino, Roethlisberger, Rivers, Luck, Aikman, Stafford, Lamar Jackson, etc that's just off the top of my head.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score

You do realize, statistically Defensive linemen are the most likely pick to "bust"?

acctingman

Reaction score
One of the local talking heads asked if you'd want Drew Lock + a $20M FA pass rusher or Geno Smith. It was hard to argue his point.

WarHawks

Reaction score

It doesn't matter how much talent you surround Geno with or how strong your defense is. When Russell Wilson was QB, and the game got tight, Russell beat the other guy. He beat him like a drum. Russell completed that pass. Russell did not fumble the ball. Russell never threw to the wrong receiver. Good QB's like this do not grow on trees. They are not high draft picks. Unfortunately, QB's like Russell Wilson do not last forever. The Seahawks made the right move to ship him to Denver. Now the team needs to make the right move in choosing his successor.

Good luck.
Thank you. That's what I've been trying to say all along. Geno isn't the guy. He's a bridge to the next guy. Why would we not want a qb that can take over games and force his will on the other team like Russ used to? I don't understand why we're settling for second best so easily and so quickly.

hawker84

Reaction score
The cap is 47 million ne t season. 2024 is like 147 million or something like that. We're salary cap rich for the next two years at least.