Do you want Geno next season?

Do you want Geno back at QB next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The cap is 47 million ne t season. 2024 is like 147 million or something like that. We're salary cap rich for the next two years at least.
We have less than $22M in effective cap space next year (according to overthecap.com).

What is your source for your $47M number?

haroldseattle

Reaction score
We have less than $22M in effective cap space next year (according to overthecap.com).

Yes the cap is not good, especially with so many players needing signed just to fill the 51 team roster. In fact the cap is such that players like Diggs,Harris and Jackson are candidates to be a cut causality. At least one of these three will be cut for cap purposes, maybe all three and they'll have to be replaced. One more reason to pass on giving Geno a big contract.

themunn

Reaction score
For me it's an easy yes.

1) We were one of the best offenses in the league this year.
2) It was his first full season in 8 years or whatever.
3) He's demonstrated massive growth in those 8 years.
4) With an offseason following said first season in so long, he will have a long list of things to look at and improve upon.
5) Given his dedication and improvement to date, I expect to see a material step-up next year also.

Get him a new center and left guard and watch him dice up the league for years to come.

themunn

Reaction score

That's still 6th in the league, so if we're in cap trouble how are 26 other teams not?

haroldseattle

Reaction score
That's still 6th in the league, so if we're in cap trouble how are 26 other teams not?
Means most of the league won't be making splashy FA signings unless they make some cuts to create cap space. Most teams will use the space they have to resign some of their own FAs. The Bears will be making some noise in FA period because they have 83 million in effective space, so 4 times as much as the Seahawks.

themunn

Reaction score
Means most of the league won't be making splashy FA signings unless they make some cuts to create cap space. Most teams will use the space they have to resign some of their own FAs. The Bears will be making some noise in FA period because they have 83 million in effective space, so 4 times as much as the Seahawks.

The Bears will make noise in FA, but they also need to since they were terrible all round this year. If other teams aren't making noise and cap space is low around the league that means contracts should in theory be cheaper since there won't be enough capital out there to push negotiations up.

Cap space looks like this every year and still someone finds a way to spend $ on QBs. The only teams out there with more than $30m cap space are the Bears, Falcons, Giants & Bengals. None of them are going to want to spend that much on Geno, that doesn't mean nobody can afford him.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Simple question. Yes or no. Do you want Geno Smith back under center for the Seahawks next season?
This has been a great thread. I mean fantastic. Most, if not all of us, I'm sure had our minds made up when Jerhawk created this poll. Though he didn't get many "yes or no" answers per his request. lol. But that's a good thing. My mind was made up when I answered his question, in my typical long winded fashion, NO.

But that didn't stop me from entertaining the many excellent YES answers to his question. With that, I am now less confident with my initial response. This was Geno's first year starting in almost 35 years. And overall he did pretty well...especially when many felt he had big shoes to fill. Seattle just goes gaga over our beloved athletes and I'm sure Geno felt a ton of pressure replacing Wilson. And then he beat him and a very good Denver D (at that time). That deserves mad props, IMO.

So thanks to this thread, I am no longer 100% sure about jettisoning Geno Smith. Maybe 80% and that number will go up or down depending on his asking price. 20 -25 per over 3? I'd lean towards keeping him. BUt more than that...I just think we have too many other areas of need to justify such a contract. Yes, he "led the league in"...etc etc, but using the eye test, I still feel he's a middling QB. But even the middle is making serious bank these days...and to me, that is a bigger problem than any one individual. Either put a cap on these bloated numbers or raise the salary cap. Roger wants parity and quality play. I just don't see that happening in the confines and restrictions currently set in place.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jerhawk

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I have to say this has been an outstanding thread

This has been a great thread. I mean fantastic. Most, if not all of us, I'm sure had our minds made up when Jerhawk created this poll. Though he didn't get many "yes or no" answers per his request. lol. But that's a good thing. My mind was made up when I answered his question, in my typical long winded fashion, NO.

But that didn't stop me from entertaining the many excellent YES answers to his question. With that, I am now less confident with my initial response. This was Geno's first year starting in almost 35 years. And overall he did pretty well...especially when many felt he had big shoes to fill. Seattle just goes gaga over our beloved athletes and I'm sure Geno felt a ton of pressure replacing Wilson. And then he beat him and a very good Denver D (at that time). That deserves mad props, IMO.

So thanks to this thread, I am no longer 100% sure about jettisoning Geno Smith. Maybe 80% and that number will go up or down depending on his asking price. 20 -25 per over 3? I'd lean towards keeping him. BUt more than that...I just think we have too many other areas of need to justify such a contract. Yes, he "led the league in"...etc etc, but using the eye test, I still feel he's a middling QB. But even the middle is making serious bank these days...and to me, that is a bigger problem than any one individual. Either put a cap on these bloated numbers or raise the salary cap. Roger wants parity and quality play. I just don't see that happening in the confines and restrictions currently set in place.
Thank you for your thoughtful response Chuckwow. And thank you to all of you who have participated and given such well thought out and meaningful responses.

Even though the poll was created with a simple two answer limit, and done just after the season came to an end against our bitter rivals, I figured this would be more difficult than a yes or no to some, myself included. Especially since there were bound to be some knee jerk responses and there's so many other factors that will be going into whatever decision the team makes.

As important as last year's off-season was for the Seahawks, this one is even more important imo. The decisions Pete and John make over the next several weeks will impact this team for the next decade. Whether or not they keep Geno, depending on a multitude of factors, will have an impact on what they do with the #5 pick. Those are two huge dominos yet to fall that will determine this team's future.

Here's where my mind is at: While I initially voted no, I'm still on the fence. Even back at the beginning of the season, I had wanted, and fully expected the team to do poorly this season so that they would get a high draft pick. I wanted them to draft Young or Stroud, as I firmly believed either of those two were going to be (and still believe) are going to be the real deal.

What I didn't see coming was the team get off to a 6-3 start, thanks to some great QB play, which other teams weren't prepared for how Seattle would attack offensively. On top of that I didn't see Denver imploding so quickly and gifting Seattle with such a high pick.

So while it's great that we made the playoffs and still get a high draft pick, I can't help but wonder what's going through Pete and John's mind. Will Geno give us a good deal? I don't want the team to break the bank and pay Geno. I feel that they may be reluctant to do so after their recent history of paying Wilson and not reaching the Superbowl. But if Geno looks at the team and says "You guys did me a favor and gave me a 2nd chance, I want to stay here and win" then the best situation for both parties would be to sign him to a team friendly deal and build the defense through the draft.

But will Geno take less money to stay here? That will be the first and potentially most important domino to fall, as that will then modify the team's mindset heading into the draft.

Anyways thank you all for your contributions in this thread, for all of your great responses in other threads, and I'm looking forward to being on this ride with all of you. Go Seahawks

sutz

Reaction score
Frankly, I don't expect Geno to get a deal done before Spring, maybe not until after the draft. As such, it wouldn't surprise me if they tag him, so they maintain leverage on any FA talks while they can continue to negotiate through July. That would probably preclude drafting a QB high, though not necessarily. I don't expect a huge home town discount, either. The going rate for servicable starting QBs is roughly what the tag number is, $32-ish mill for non-exclusive and $45-ish mill for exclusive. I expect we'll see a 3 yr/$100 mill range deal, probably with some incentives folded in, but with near $50 mill guaranteed.

Which is fine with me. Go big on D-line and interior O-line this year to fix some of the most glaring weaknesses of the past few seasons and look for a developmental QB later in the draft.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
33 a year for Geno? And 3 years? No thanks
Stats are fine, but wins and losses and how he plays when the game is on the line matters a hell of a lot more. He's above average and hasn't proven to be clutch when the game is on the line.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Here's the short and simple answer... Most of those other 26 teams already have a QB1 included in their cap numbers for 2023 (we don't)... and they aren't spending $36M of cap space on their two safeties... and another $20M combined for an aging and overpaid RG and an average TE in Will Dissly.

So, that $56M in cap space allocated for our starting safeties, a starting RG and one of three TEs comprises 25% of our 2023 cap.

That's why.

hawker84

Reaction score

Last edited:

onanygivensunday

Reaction score

Well, that's from a week ago before the Hawks signed a bunch of practice squad players to future's contracts... but that would not explain the huge discrepancy between what overthecap.com is saying and what your article is saying.

I trust overthecap.com more. YMMV

renofox

Reaction score
OTC numbers do not yet account for 3.5M Geno bonus which was NLTBE, 1.5M escalator for Lewis' PPE, 16M+ for rookie pool, tenders for RFA/ERFA (est. 5-8M), and a few other smaller items.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Such a tough decision. Geno is gonna get 3 years 70 ish million is my guess. While he probably deserves it i'm not sure he's the guy. That being said i probably pay him.
He's getting way more than that.

Maui12thman

Reaction score
Yes! then build a roster so good that half the QBs in the league could win with it….a la San Fran.

WarHawks

Reaction score
One thing not discussed much in this equation is Geno's age relative to opportunity cost. If we sign him and he regresses due to age in the next few, his trade value is then near nil, and then what do we do? Or, we let him walk, go with Lock and a rookie, and then we're [hopefully] set for the next ten years. That's the opportunity cost of signing Geno to a long-term deal, unless there's something I'm not seeing.