Do you want Geno next season?

Do you want Geno back at QB next season?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

renofox

Reaction score
One thing not discussed much in this equation is Geno's age relative to opportunity cost. If we sign him and he regresses due to age in the next few, his trade value is then near nil, and then what do we do? Or, we let him walk, go with Lock and a rookie, and then we're [hopefully] set for the next ten years. That's the opportunity cost of signing Geno to a long-term deal, unless there's something I'm not seeing.
Agreed. That opportunity cost includes lack of money to fill glaring holes in free agency.

It may be risky to rely on Lock / cheaper veteran / rookie competition, but the current situation demands risks be taken to improve the roster/cap situation - there's no way to improve enough AND give Geno his payday at the same time.

billbird2111

Reaction score
You do realize, statistically Defensive linemen are the most likely pick to "bust"?

Yes, I do realize that. I also realize that any high pick can be a bust. And, as a 49ers fan, I'm hoping and PRAYING that the Seahawks pick the wrong guy. I believe Seahawks fans would feel the same way about the 49ers, in hoping that Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch blow or whiff on every pick they make.

But I still believe that the Seahawks can find the next QB who will beat the 49ers like a drum with any pick in the draft. First round or seventh round. It doesn't matter. I just believe that spending your highest pick in the next draft on a game-changer on the defensive line is the best use of that pick. Another option is trading down. Turn that 5th pick in the draft into two first-round picks and a high pick in the second round.

I am old enough to remember Steve Deberg as the starting QB of the 49ers. He looked a lot like Geno Smith. Until he made that killer mistake. As Bill Walsh said years later about Deberg, he was "just good enough to get you beat." A true statement.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Not a whole lot more upside for him here. But then, it is unlikely he will continue at the pace of his production this year anyway.

Why do you think this?

Football logic would dictate that a 32 year old player that in reality has the football body of a 25-27 year old because he has almost zero wear and tear, in the 2nd year of being a starter in the same system with the same coaches/players, AND has all that confidence and work ethic?

Logic would dictate that he would continue to improve, develop and get even better.

Not sure I get the "this is the best he's ever gonna be" take.

ElvisInBlue

Reaction score
Why do you think this?

Football logic would dictate that a 32 year old player that in reality has the football body of a 25-27 year old because he has almost zero wear and tear, in the 2nd year of being a starter in the same system with the same coaches/players, AND has all that confidence and work ethic?

Logic would dictate that he would continue to improve, develop and get even better.

Not sure I get the "this is the best he's ever gonna be" take.
That’s not how the human body works. He may have fewer accumulated injuries, but he hasn’t magically stopped aging.

Peak physical potential is somewhere in the mid 20s and goes down from there. How quickly varies a ton, but it’s not inconsequential.

Given how comfortable Geno looked inside the system, I doubt there’s much to gain from more time / familiarity.

Arguably the remaining area for improvement is the off script / outside the system plays. My assumption is that’s driven by quick mental processing and calmness under pressure. At 32 are either of those changing much?

Potentially a new contract / commitment from the team could boost his confidence and positively influence performance. The opposite is just as likely as he feels the need to carry the team and presses too hard.

Think we’ve seen peak Geno. Don’t get me wrong, that’s still a solid tier 2 (non elite) starter.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
That’s not how the human body works. He may have fewer accumulated injuries, but he hasn’t magically stopped aging.

Peak physical potential is somewhere in the mid 20s and goes down from there. How quickly varies a ton, but it’s not inconsequential.

Given how comfortable Geno looked inside the system, I doubt there’s much to gain from more time / familiarity.

Arguably the remaining area for improvement is the off script / outside the system plays. My assumption is that’s driven by quick mental processing and calmness under pressure. At 32 are either of those changing much?

Potentially a new contract / commitment from the team could boost his confidence and positively influence performance. The opposite is just as likely as he feels the need to carry the team and presses too hard.

Think we’ve seen peak Geno. Don’t get me wrong, that’s still a solid tier 2 (non elite) starter.

This is mostly conjecture, and you're certainly entitled to you opinion but in most successful NFL systems with the same continuity of coach, schemes and reps with the same players? Good QB's get better.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
I’ll take Geno at most $20 a year for 3 years at most, two with an option to release him before the start of year 3.

You trade the 5th pick if Carter isn’t available.

You draft Myles Murphy, Siaki Ika and possibly O’Cyrus Torrence grab some linebackers and possibly go after Daron Payne from Washington.

If you nail this, you can rebuild front seven immediately.