Noah Fant - TE

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think people are downplaying Fant's value - he is a very young, very athletic, healthy and productive TE who fits well within Waldron's scheme and has a bargain salary for 2022 and a very reasonable 5th-year option for 2023.

College: Iowa
Position: TE
Drafted: 2019, Round 1, Pick #20
Height: 6-4.1
Weight: 249
Arms: 33.5
Hands: 9.75
40-yard dash: 4.50s
10-yard split: 1.55s
20-yard split: 2.61s
20-yard shuttle: 4.22s
3-Cone: 6.81s
Vertical: 39.5"
Broad: 10'7"
Bench Press: 20 reps
NFL Stats:
Year GP Rec Yds TD
2019 16 40 562 3
2020 15 62 673 3
2021 16 68 670 4
2022 Cap Hit: $2,211,918
2023 5th year option: $6.8M
Free Agency: UFA 2023 (2024 if 5th year option is triggered by Seahawks - likely)

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
A-Dog":3jhhgaid said:
I think people are downplaying Fant's value - he is a very young, very athletic, healthy and productive TE who fits well within Waldron's scheme and has a bargain salary for 2022. Yes, he's a UFA next year, but we now have a clear TE1 on the cheap.

College: Iowa
Position: TE
Drafted: 2019, Round 1, Pick #20
Height: 6-4.1
Weight: 249
Arms: 33.5
Hands: 9.75
40-yard dash: 4.50s
10-yard split: 1.55s
20-yard split: 2.61s
20-yard shuttle: 4.22s
3-Cone: 6.81s
Vertical: 39.5"
Broad: 10'7"
Bench Press: 20 reps
NFL Stats:
Year GP Rec Yds TD
2019 16 40 562 3
2020 15 62 673 3
2021 16 68 670 4
2022 Cap Hit: $2,211,918
Free Agency: UFA 2023

Need to add Fifth year option in 23 is 6.8 mill

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":3t3mlldg said:
Need to add Fifth year option in 23 is 6.8 mill

Good call - I'd assume they trigger it but that's tbd? Will update the OP

AgentDib

Reaction score
There's also a strong incentive for Fant to sign a team friendly extension. If he waits to get his big payday until 2024 then that's two years worth of injury risk where he will be playing below value with low guaranteed money. Getting a bunch of guaranteed dollars sooner is worth quite a lot and players are always willing to give up total dollars in exchange.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
Except Fant is slow and will drop half his passes . Don't even get me started on the fact he WON"T Block.

That is from the donkos site we now have jimmy Graham 2.0 FML

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
PFF hand Fant as the 11th best TE in the league going in to the 2021 season (which ended up being his best season so far):

11. NOAH FANT, DENVER BRONCOS
Fant is part of a young, ascending receiving corps in Denver that just needs a quarterback to emerge. He made a big leap from his rookie to sophomore season in 2020, improving his receiving grade from 61.4 to 80.3.

Fant did more of his damage underneath with the Broncos this past season. His 457 receiving yards on passes within nine yards of the line of scrimmage ranked fourth at the position in 2020 after finishing 27th in the same category back in 2019. Fant’s athleticism makes bringing him down after the catch a difficult task.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
Pre-Draft Scouting Report from Walter Football:

Noah Fant Scouting Report
By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:
Fast tight end
Mismatch weapon
Too fast for linebackers and some safeties
Red-zone weapon
Adept at finding the soft spot in zone
Quality route runner
Tracks the ball well
Athletic
Adjusts well to the ball
Leaping ability
Upside

Weaknesses:
Poor blocker
Lacks natural hands
Off-the-field issues
Makeup concerns

Summary: After hauling in 28 passes for 486 yards with 10 touchdowns in 2017, Fant entered the 2018 season with more hype, although it was teammate T.J. Hockenson who ended up as the No. 1 tight end prospect for the 2019 NFL Draft. Fant put together a solid junior year with 39 receptions for 519 yards and seven touchdowns, but Hockenson eclipsed him while they split targets for the Hawkeyes. Hockenson might be the more well-rounded player, Fant could end up having the more productive pro career because he is an ultra-fast tight end who is a receiving weapon for the passing-driven NFL.

The best trait about Fant is his speed. He is a very fast tight end who can cause problems for defenses with his ability to run away from coverage and tacklers. Fant is able to bolt down the seam and can generate separation from coverage, plus his size allows him to make receptions over defensive backs. Fant is a quality route runner and tracks the ball well downfield. He is adept at finding the soft spot in zone coverage and presenting a good target for his quarterback. With his speed and ability to get open, Fant should produce some good receiving numbers during his NFL career.

Fant is a true receiving tight end who could produce big numbers with his receiving skills as a pro. He is too fast for linebackers, and safeties can also struggle with his speed. In the open field, Fant has a second gear to run away from defenders and rip off long gains while being a scoring threat. Team evaluators say Fant is not a natural hands catcher of the football, and that could be seen at the combine when he had some drops in the field drills. Becoming more reliable with his hands is the biggest point of improvement for Fant.

As a blocker, Fant needs work for the NFL. His technique and strength could use improvement for battling pro defenders. He probably will never be a force in the ground game, but he could get better by giving more of an effort and blocking with more attitude.

Aside from his blocking, Fant has other things to improve. Team sources say that Fant has off-the-field issues, and they have concerns about his personal makeup. They don't sound like major issues, but they feel he has problems with maturity and how he conducts himself.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Fant is insanely talented. Definitely a WR in a TE's frame. He's 250 pounds and runs in the 4.5s.

I'm stoked about this part of the trade. They don't have to spend a bunch on Gerald Everett now. Sign uncle Will or another +blocker for a modest deal and you're set at the position. They can focus on the trenches in the draft.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":1pso39b9 said:
Except Fant is slow and will drop half his passes . Don't even get me started on the fact he WON"T Block.

I don't know if that's a great source for an objective opinion in this moment.

He's objectively not slow - he ran a 4.5 40, and he objectively has good hands - last year he had a 2% drop rate. Compare that to Gerald Everett at 4.8%. They had a very similar catch % but Everett had Russ throwing to him most of the year compared to Flacco, Lock, and Allen. Fant is bigger and faster. Overall Fant was more productive. Both are not great blockers.

2021 Gerald Everett
Tgt Rec Y/R Catch% Yds/Tgt YAC/Rec Drop%
63 48 478 10.0 76.2 7.6 5.2 4.8

2021 Noah Fant
Tgt Rec Y/R Catch% Yds/Tgt YAC/Rec Drop%
90 68 670 9.9 75.6 7.4 4.5 2.2

Jimmy Graham 2.0 would not be a bad thing IMO, especially in a Waldron offense.

Safe to say we got an upgrade over Gerald Everett who offers a similar skillset at a lower cap hit who is four years younger.

hawkcrazzed

Reaction score
fair enough i have been bested i bow to the superior knowledge but everything today is hyper focused

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawkcrazzed":b4eb34jw said:

[youtube]Xv7iwniAO4g[/youtube]

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
bumping this up bc now that some of the shock has settled down people may want to talk about the new players on our roster

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It was puzzling that Carroll wanted a guy that isn't really a willing/effective run blocker, isn't physical, and doesn't seem to have reliable hands.

So he must have some kind of plan. I actually am genuinely interested in how this shakes out (in a not sarcastic way) because these kinds of moves only happen when you see something other people don't. And whatever I might think of Carroll as a gameday coach, he is pretty good at seeing things other people don't and then helping the player realize that potential.

Going to be a question mark for now but I will just have to watch now this shakes out.

Probably not a high priority right now considering everything else we need to address.

OP
OP
A

A-Dog

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1tvqgtkx said:
It was puzzling that Carroll wanted a guy that isn't really a willing/effective run blocker, isn't physical, and doesn't seem to have reliable hands.

So he must have some kind of plan. I actually am genuinely interested in how this shakes out (in a not sarcastic way) because these kinds of moves only happen when you see something other people don't. And whatever I might think of Carroll as a gameday coach, he is pretty good at seeing things other people don't and then helping the player realize that potential.

Going to be a question mark for now but I will just have to watch now this shakes out.

Probably not a high priority right now considering everything else we need to address.

It's not puzzling when see the pattern that started with Jimmy Graham and continued through Gerald Everett. Pete and John have always been seeking athletic, pass-catching TEs and once Waldron was hired as OC this became even more important to the offense. Yes, ideally you get a guy who can do both, especially if you want to run the ball a lot, but you need a guy who is a legitimate threat as a receiver if you want to make things difficult for the defense. Guys like Gronk and Kittle don't grow on trees so you try to compensate with a TE2 who can block (or if you're the Seahawks you play George Fant at TE)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I'm really hoping they sign Dissly to pair with Fant and Parkinson over the next couple years. That could be our best TE group in a long, long time, assuming Parkinson plays more of a role.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
As long as Gerald Everett isn't on the team I'm willing to have an open mind as far as Fant goes.

Probably need to sign Dissly though.

sutz

Reaction score
Hockey Guy":10s5spvl said:
As long as Gerald Everett isn't on the team I'm willing to have an open mind as far as Fant goes.

Probably need to sign Dissly though.
I'm OK with letting Everett go. He's not that bad, but he ain't "all that" either.

I would hope that Diss would be an easy re-sign. Always liked the kid, injury history aside. But he stayed healthy this past year.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Fant ran a 4.51 at the combine. Kittle, who is also 6' 4" and 250, ran a 4.52. Maybe Fant is Kittle 2.0. Sounds good to me.

Latest posts