Dan Quinn's Magnificent Rotation of Eight

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if he makes the team.

LTH

It will indeed. Also, the defensive line ran out of healthy rotational defensive tackles last year. So, identifying a development project for at least one practice team spot is also likely in play.

LTH

Reaction score
It will indeed. Also, the defensive line ran out of healthy rotational defensive tackles last year. So, identifying a development project for at least one practice team spot is also likely in play.
I think Cam Young is going to surprise people... I haven't seen him play yet just college tape...but I just have a feeling that he is going to be very good. When I watched his PC he had that look in his eyes... I've seen that before... I think he is going to be mean as hell.. at 320 he is big enough and I don't think DT is one of those positions that it takes a couple of years to grow into. I'm excited to see him play and I'm hoping like you said that me of the UDFA work out for the DT rotation... although it wouldn't surprise me if they signed another vet or two.

LTH

OP
OP
J

Jville

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys under defensive coordinator Dan Quinn are one of the NFL’s best stunting teams, as Quinn — who has long been a maniac with his front concepts — is amazing at throwing the proverbial kitchen sink at opposing offenses without bringing extra rushers to the party. Quinn is also expert at messing up offenses with the evil combination of stunts and drops.

Link >>> https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-schemes-rpo-five-man-fronts-press-coverage/

The above link leads to an interesting article whose author identifies seven schematic trends that in his mind define the modern NFL.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Noteworthy. Thanks for posting.

Jonah gives the defense a very different wrinkle. Could be a special match up problem for opponents.

Pete Carrolll ----- "Tavai's got a big background of play-making. He's done so much, he made so many plays in the backfield and been so hard to deal with and all. We have come to appreciate his style. He's not a big guy. He's just a real instinctive football player, great leverage and all that because of his size." https://www.seahawks.com/news/an-ov...o-watch-when-the-seahawks-open-otas-on-monday

I'm curious to see just how quick he is off the snap. Some have identified him as having exceptionally quick and active hands.

Good time ahead!
Quick hands -- and quick acceleration -- certainly that was my impression of him.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The competition committee has changed the game a lot since 2013. The make up of personnel has changed with it. Offenses have made a point of getting the ball out and on it's way more quickly to limit the rush. Coverage carries more of the load 10 years later to help out the rush.

What I find interesting 10 years later is how the 2023 team is being put together. Like 2013, many of the prospects are projections. Cameron Young and Robert Cooper are projected nose tackles. Big Mike Morris is another projection for a new role. It's the kind of bold approach Quinn engaged in 10 years ago. Seeing a similar approach in building a projected defense is highly encouraging. Depth is an intriguing annual aspect of putting a team together. I'm looking forward to year two of the Clint Hurtt story.
Team depth is also a function of the salary cap. In 2013 RW was still on his rookie contract and there was enough money available to build depth on the DL. Once RW got paid it became much harder to create depth at other positions.

sutz

Reaction score
Team depth is also a function of the salary cap. In 2013 RW was still on his rookie contract and there was enough money available to build depth on the DL. Once RW got paid it became much harder to create depth at other positions.
Getting off topic, but there is truth in this statement, TBS. They should probably have some kind of individual cap that states that a single player cannot make more than, say, 10-12% of a team's cap. QB salaries have gotten out of control, which makes what Geno did with his deal very praiseworthy.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Getting off topic, but there is truth in this statement, TBS. They should probably have some kind of individual cap that states that a single player cannot make more than, say, 10-12% of a team's cap. QB salaries have gotten out of control, which makes what Geno did with his deal very praiseworthy.
That's a very interesting idea. I can see the players union agreeing to this too. The players as a group have to realize that the huge salaries being paid to QBs are negatively impacting what teams can pay the other non-QB players.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That's a very interesting idea. I can see the players union agreeing to this too. The players as a group have to realize that the huge salaries being paid to QBs are negatively impacting what teams can pay the other non-QB players.
The NFL is a QB-driven league and is only getting stronger in that regard.

Don't have the numbers but I believe that QB salaries on average have been #1 in the league for the last 100 years. That's not changing anytime soon.

Raising QB salaries raises the salary of everyone else (with a new CBA).