DVR review vs. Chargers: OL/DL and other thoughts

kearly

Reaction score
Defensive line:

Michael Bennett:

I remember back in the very first real game of the Pete Carroll era (2010), being amazed as some guy wearing a number I was completely unfamiliar with (#98) made play after play after play in that opening game. He was a big defensive end, easily 270+, but dropped into coverage better than most linebackers, made sure tackles every time, handled the run well, and was a shockingly efficient pass rusher for his size/speed. Who the hell is this guy?! It turned out to be former Indy veteran Raheem Brock, at the start of a career year with the Seahawks. Pete Carroll's most defining trait is his ability to pluck outstanding players out of thin air. Brock was the first, and many more would follow.

Seattle opened up the Chargers game with a heavy dose of Bryant/Mebane/Williams, giving essentially a 3-4 look. You kind of get the sense that this personnel grouping is "plan A" for Pete right now for 1st and 2nd downs. These are three huge defensive lineman, and maybe 3-5 plays in, Seattle had subbed Williams out for some relatively skinny looking guy wearing #72. Compared to Bryant/Mebane/Williams, #72 looked like a WR or TE lining up at the interior, and I was instantly reminded of the Corderro Law experiments last preseason where Seattle placed the 240 pound DE at the 3 tech on pass rush downs (with shocking success).

Well, whoever this #72 guy is, he pretty much kicked the crap out of everything on just about every snap. He was constantly guessing the snap count right, exploding into the backfield and making plays or nearly making them. Simply put, he was wreaking havoc. I was convinced there was no way he was a DT. He had to be a 250 pound DE to move like that, and his appearance seemed almost lanky in comparison to the other guys.

Then the camera panned to show the back of his jersey. "BENNETT." Michael Bennett? Holy crap.

Bennett would continue to be a force all game long. Jason Jones was never even close to this disruptive at any point last season. I didn't have Bennett down for any negative plays against the run, and he was creating pressure on more than 50% of this snaps. It's possible I missed it, but I don't remember seeing Bennett at the 5-tech either, I think he just worked the 3-tech in this game, and looked extremely good doing it.

Bennett had a breakout season in 2012 playing mostly at 5-tech. I won't lie, I was initially worried a bit that Bennett might have had a career season during a contract year, and would fall back in 2013, especially since Seattle probably wouldn't give him much action at 5-tech. But after this game, I'm starting to wonder if Dan Quinn is working his magic yet again- Bennett looked like a stellar DT with Quinn in Seattle back in 2009 after all. Maybe Bennett didn't hit his peak, but is still on the ascent? Pre-season caveat applies, but for just one game, Bennett looked like a guy that is still improving despite having a high bar to clear.

Jordan Hill:

Hill had a very nice game, good enough that I am starting to lean back to my initial impression of him from last February, when I thought he was a bit of a gem at DT. I retracted that somewhat the next month when I realized that he's more about effort than dominance. However, in this Charger's game he did not look like just an "effort" guy at all. He was actually pushing guys back and collapsing the pocket from time to time. He was also a pain to block all night long with those active hands and quick feet.

In my scouting report / tape study (pre-draft) I had Hill down as a slightly below average run defender at Penn State. He was tenacious, fought off blocks and closed well, but physically he could be driven back from single blocks which isn't something you ever want to see from a potential 1-tech. He did have a few negative moments like that in this game, but I was struck by his ability to limit the damage, recover, and factor back into the play even against a double team on one occasion. I still don't think he's a one tech on 1st and 2nd downs, but he's starting to look like a guy who's run defense should be acceptable on an every down basis for the 3-tech job.

Hill was a disruptive force all game long and I am very curious to see how he fares in real games. He looked just as good against the Chargers starting unit as he did against the backups. His ability to use his hands and quick feet as a pass rusher reminds me a little of the Saints' Cameron Jordan (who had 8 sacks last season as a DT/DE).

On the downside, Hill did show some evidence of tiring late in the game. Given that it's still early in the season, I'm not worried, but then again you'd expect a high motor player to look tired in the 4th quarter. Hill strikes me as a guy who's at his best when the staff has him on a pitch count.

Jaye Howard:

Jaye Howard didn't stick out as much this time around, but he still made a lot more positive plays than negative ones, and it's 100% clear that he is not the same guy he was at Florida or in Seattle last season. The weight he's added really shows, in ways both good and bad (mostly good). He's gone from a major negative against the run to a solid positive, and while he isn't the same sparkplug as a pass rusher he was before intensity-wise, the heavy hands and natural pass rush instincts are still there. Amazingly enough, Howard has become the younger, better Alan Branch type player that Seattle spent the offseason looking for.

Howard made several splash plays against the run and pass, though he did make a few mistakes, like a hands to the face on the QB during one of his successful pass rush attempts. My only worry about Howard is that he definitely seems more lethargic than ever at his higher body weight. He had a lot of reps out there where he looked like he was giving maybe 50% effort. That was a problem for him previously, and it hasn't gotten better. But when Howard does give top effort, he can dominate physically more than even Bennett and Mebane can. Howard was capable of making his blocker look like a little bitch on any given play. When Howard has a quality snap, some offensive lineman is about to get embarrassed.

Effort aside, Howard looked like a guy that was clearly playing himself into a significant role with our defense.

Jesse Williams:

Williams was pretty much single-handedly to blame for the 1st unit defenses consistently bad run defense. When WIlliams was in there early in the game, the Chargers were averaging over 5 yards a carry. After the first few series Williams was taken out and only saw a handful of snaps the rest of the game. Seattle's "post-Williams" defensive line held the Chargers to under 2 yards a carry.

Pretty much, Williams was the exact opposite of what I thought he'd be. He was Colin Cole-esque against the run, but at times actually showed speed getting up the field and even pushed the pocket on a pair of occasions. He had a terrible game, but it's the first professional game of his career and for all we know he might have been slowed by a minor injury (there were reports of him having knee soreness this week). He also showed correctable traits such as playing too high against double teams in the run game.

I think Williams is a pretty safe bet to make the roster, even though he was awful in this game. That said, Williams could absolutely play himself out of a starting job, especially since seemingly every other DT is stepping up right now.

Clinton McDonald:

He barely played, and barely registered. He's a decent player, but he is becoming a long shot for the roster. If I was Tony McDaniel (who didn't play), I'd be nervous too. Lots of DTs stepped up in this game.

Michael Brooks:

Probably the biggest surprise in this DVR session was #70, Michael Brooks, a player I had previously never heard of. He showed terrific pass rush instincts, timing, and quickness off the snap. He was almost as big a pass rush force as Michael Bennett was, though Brooks was doing it against 3rd stringers. Apparently, he was picked up by the Seahawks after the Lions released him in May. Fieldgulls speculated that Seattle had been targeting Brooks for some time, and Brooks was even part of Seattle's pre-draft visit list this year.

Brooks is a rookie, and was a UDFA signing originally by Detroit. Based on his performance in this Chargers game, I seriously wonder what the heck Detroit was smoking to let a pass rush talent like him walk. Brooks is listed at both 276 and 294 pounds, I have no idea which number is the more accurate one. In the game, he looked like a big bodied player nearing 300 pounds, but in terms of quickness, he moved as well as Jason Jones did, and Jones played at 276.

Keep an eye on #70. I think we might have something here. Sure, he was facing 3rd stringers, but he was making play after play and he looks the part physically.

Martin Parker:

Another recently acquired DT, Parker had a few pressures and even got a sack. The Seahawks are going to have some brutal choices to make even for the first wave of cuts.

Benson Mayowa:

I warned that Mayowa might be another Nick Reed, but after watching him closely on DVR, I think it's at least equally as likely that he could be another Chris Clemons. Mayowa is nearly the same size and stature as Clemons, and like Clemons has a complete pass rushing repertoire, which is something you can't say about Bruce Irvin and Cliff Avril.

Mayowa can edge rush, spin move, disengage with his hands, and will work back for hustle sacks. On only a small fraction of his reps was he legitimately stonewalled; this guy was a royal pain to block. While his physical talent is fringe, his pass rushing talent is outstanding. I think Seattle has to keep this guy, if only to see how he'd do next preseason after adding 5-10 pounds. Additionally, Seattle is de-emphasizing size with the new LEO role so Mayowa might not be considered undersized (at 250 pounds).

Mayowa was a late-process UDFA who was discovered at a regional combine. I am beginning to have real hope that he could be a diamond in the rough. At the very least, he strikes me as too good a gamble not to take. Clemons, btw, was also a UDFA back in 2003.

Ty Powell:

Powell doesn't yet look like he's deserving of a spot on the 53 man, but I totally agree with Brock Huard that Powell looks the part. He's got the physical talent to be a good pass rusher, but what surprises is that he's actually a much better run defender than pass rusher right now. Still, I need to see more than 3 or 4 decent plays in nearly a full game to endorse his roster candidacy. He seems like a good player to monitor on the practice squad, though.

O'Brian Schofield, etc:

Schofield had a few nice pressures early on, but overall I thought he had a quiet outing. No real negatives though. Bryant, Morgan, and Smith all looked the same on second viewing, so I'll stand by my previous comments on their performance from the random thoughts thread.

FWIW, if it came down to keeping one of Schofield and Mayowa at this point, I'd take Mayowa without thinking twice. There's still three games to go, of course.

Offensive Line:

Alvin Bailey:

Alvin Bailey has already played his way onto the roster. Now I think the question becomes, does he play himself into a starting job? IMO, Bailey was our best offensive lineman in this game, and it wasn't close. Even Russell Okung did not flash dominance in this game the way that Bailey did. I think Pete needs to send the message that LG, RG, and RT are open for competition, because right now Bailey and to a lesser extent, Bowie, are playing at a quality starter level.

I almost lost count of the positive plays I had jotted down for Bailey. As a run blocker, he was literally tossing defensive ends around, which is something I haven't seen since Big Walt was doing it. He was consistently blowing back defensive linemen 3-4 yards, and he had some very nice blocks on linebackers, too. There is a viciousness to how he blocks, too. This is a bad, bad man.

In pass pro, he doesn't have the widest, most fluid sidestep; he could probably get burned by super athletic pass rushers like Von Miller or Cameron Wake. With that said, his protection was near perfect tonight, with no sacks allowed and only 1 pressure given up, and that was from him playing 3/4 of the entire game.

The only bad thing I can say about Bailey is that his day-in day-out ass kicking came at a physical toll, and by the final drive of the game there wasn't much gas left in the tank. Probably nothing to worry about, though.

Bailey reminds me so much of Frank Omiyale in that Dallas game. Both guys have deceptively long arms and use them very well to help compensate for below average lateral agility. Omiyale was no slouch as a run blocker, but this is the area where the comparison ends, because Bailey is a monster run blocker.

My only long term negative for Bailey is a potential weakness to elite edge rushers- a fault that can be erased by playing him at guard. At the very least, Bailey needs to be in real competition for one of the starting jobs not currently occupied by a pro-bowler.

Michael Bowie:

It didn't take long for Bowie to start racking up positive plays in my notes. The very first of which was him shoving a defensive end on his butt with a violent upper body thrust. Bowie is similar to Bailey in terms of bulk, power, and skillset, albeit just a half notch lower in most areas. Like Bailey, Bowie has mediocre lateral agility but used his arms well and did an excellent job protecting the quarterback. Bowie is a strong dude, and he uses that strength to push defenders around in both phases of his game.

Rishaw Johnson:

Johnson had a rough start. On one first half play alone he whiffed on a pass block twice before committing a hold, one of three penalties he drew in the game.

After that, he kicked ass.

Johnson was one of our better run blockers in last year's preseason, and I was very surprised to see him not make the final 53. He's still the same guy, but now he's even better at run blocking while improving to roughly a Sweezy/Giacomini level of barely acceptable pass protection. Johnson's flaws in pass pro remain significant, but I noticed something pretty neat- those flaws vanished on play action. If there was any threat of a run, defensive players were far more hesitant to engage him. Because when it was a run play, he was kicking their teeth in.

If you still have this game on DVR, go back and watch #63, #73, and #78 run block. You won't be bored, I promise. These guys were bringing it in the second half, and when all three laid quality blocks at the same time the Chargers defensive front completely imploded. I literally busted out laughing a half dozen times from some of the smackdowns these guys were handing out. It's hardly a coincidence that when these three were on the field together Christine Michael's rushing production per attempt doubled.

I like McQuistan and Giacomini, and I think JR Sweezy has some unique strengths that make him special, but if this Chargers game was not a fluke but rather an indication of things to come, then I feel lightheaded thinking about an Okung-Bailey-Unger-Johnson-Bowie line. Five elite level run blockers with mostly good pass pro? My goodness. Shaun Alexander could come out of retirement behind a line like that.

Seattle is loaded in the trenches right now.

JR Sweezy:

Sweezy was treated like a starter and left with the remainder of the starting group (Okung, McQ, Giacomini) during the 2nd quarter. He had some quality 2nd level blocks but seemed strangely unremarkable in this game. I didn't have him down for much.

Breno Giacomini:

Breno looked like good Breno, the kind that isn't nearly as dominant but keeps away from penalties and ugly sacks.

Russell Okung:

Okung had a quiet game that was devoid of any kind of dominance, though still a quality outing. Rock solid. Okung was seen limping (hearsay) on the sideline, but he wasn't listed in the injury report so I assume he's fine.

I don't think any of these starters felt like they had much to prove, and most played like it.

Paul McQuistan:

McQuistan had by far the best performance of the starters. Perhaps he is feeling some heat in practices? I had several standout positive plays down for McQ, most of them as a run blocker, but also one for a savvy stunt pickup. I think most NFL teams would be thrilled to get the results out of LG/LT that McQuistan has given us, especially at his relatively low salary.

John Moffitt:

I like Moffitt, and think he is unfairly dogged by too many. He is a Chris Gray type lineman in an NFL landscape where average NFL linemen aren't average at all. Moffitt jokes about not being NFL worthy, which is kind of true if we just mean in terms of physical traits. But that said, he should give himself more credit. He's a smart blocker with excellent timing and smarts. If there is such a thing as a "clutch" offensive lineman then that's Moffitt, he just has a knack for just barely making quality blocks at key moments in drives.

That said, I'm going to be shocked if Moffitt makes the 53 this year. He's maybe our 9th or 10th best lineman right now, and he has little utility as he can't play tackle and has only a tiny bit of experience as a 3rd string center. It's also clear that Moffitt is already at his ceiling, whereas guys like Johnson and Sweezy are better yet also have a ton of remaining physical potential to tap into.

The crazy thing is, I could see him starting for many other NFL teams. We are just that stacked with talent, thanks to the genius of Tom Cable and PC/JS.

Lemuel Jeanpierre:

Jeanpierre did not have his best game. He single-handedly ruined a couple of running plays by getting blown back off the snap. It's okay though, because we already know how well Jeanpierre plays in real games. There aren't many teams that have a better backup center than we do.

Ryan Seymour:

Seymour was completely unremarkable against 3rd stringers. I didn't have him down for a single play, negative or positive. Barring a revelation in the next 3 weeks, he looks to be playing for a practice squad spot.

Fat Rabbit:

Jared Smith did not look good out there. He was bullied back more than any lineman, and he faced 3rd string competition. In fairness, if Sweezy's converting from DT to G was tough, then just imagine Smith converting from DT to C. He was pretty bad, but we expected that. Even if he doesn't make the practice squad, we might see him back in training camp next summer, ala the Konz.

Other notes:

-Perez Ashford made the absolute most of his meager opportunities. He had an excellent stop on special teams and flat out made a gunner look stupid on a late game punt return. Seattle is a bit unsettled at KR/PR right now, and if he keeps this up he might end up in the conversation to make the 53 man at WR.

-Some fringe roster TE by the name of Andrei Lintz caught my attention for his run blocking, particular on Christine Michael's game long 24 yarder. It was his own block on the end that sprung Michael, but he didn't stop there and continued to make two additional blocks for Michael downfield. Lintz did not look like an NFL athlete to me (so of course, I look him up and naturally, he's a UDFA out of WSU), but credit where credit is due, he had a pretty nice game as a pure blocking TE.

-Speaking of TEs, I'm starting to think the McCoy injury could be a big deal, because the TE group behind Miller looks pretty terrible so far. Nearly every dropped pass was by a Seahawks TE in this game. One of those drops was on the softest, most accurate, most catchable ball you will ever see Tarvaris Jackson throw. And Cooper Helfet dropped it. He wasn't contested by a defender either.

-That inexplicable drop would be Tjack's only incompletion of the night. He finished 8 for 9. Tjack was kinda on fire in this game.

-Maybe the best play Tjack made was on a 10 yard pass. He held the ball in the pocket as long as he could, narrowly avoided a sack, ran outside the pocket and threw a dart with a defender in his face. The receiver came down with a circus catch right at the first down marker. Turns out, the guy who caught it was Derrick Coleman. Coleman couldn't have had a better debut.

-Farwell might have been our best linebacker. He had a great game. I didn't have him down for a single negative play, and he showed a terrific ability to break down and tackle runners to minimize damage. He also blitzed very well and collected half a sack (Mayowa). If Farwell had Lotulelei's physical talent he'd be a pro-bowl starter at LB.

-Ware seemed like a mild disappointment at first, but watching him again, he actually had a good game. He got better as a runner as the game went on, and he even contributed a couple of monster special teams plays, including one where he socked the runner and sent him flying back 4-5 yards.

-I would guess that a solid majority of the Chargers' 2nd quarter pass attempts targeted Walter Thurmond. A lot of them were completed, too.

-I had Sean McGrath down for one very nice block and one missed block that might have sprung a long C-Mike TD had McGrath done a decent job.

-Winston Guy plays out of control too often, and is starting to give me Aaron Curry vibes on the field. He was primarily the one at fault for San Diego's only touchdown. Not only was he beat in coverage, but his effort to make a touchdown saving tackle was basically non-existent. I love his physical talent but he doesn't have the intangibles and intelligence to play in the NFL, IMO. If we had any serious competition behind him at safety I'd already be making guarantees that he fails to make the 53. That said, if it does come down to Maragos vs. Guy for a spot, Maragos is getting it, no question.

-Did I mention that Alvin Bailey kind of dominated a little bit?

-Allen Bradford looked very good and finished with a team-high 8 tackles. He played his best football in the first half (at least in terms of generating tackles), and looked like a difference maker even with the first unit. He's remarkably polished for a guy that hadn't played linebacker since high school. I did have him down for a few negatives, namely that he got sucked into a few plays and was out of position, but that's to be expected with his experience level. Overall I thought he looked outstanding, and easily on pace for a final roster spot.

-John Lotulelei is a project, and will probably just be a special teams player this season. As I said in the other thread, he's like a missile with a faulty guidance system. Too often he'll miss tackles or run by his target. He also looked lost on a few special teams coverage plays. But he can definitely get from point A to point B in a hurry, and when he gets there he often announces his presence with a bone-jarring hit. I'm not excited about him as a prospect just yet, mainly because it's so rare for players who lack the mental side of the game to hit their potential (Aaron Curry, etc). But it's just one game, and maybe he'll prove to be a fast learner. In some ways, you might say he's the JR Sweezy of the LB corps. He dominates one play and looks flawed the next.

-The deep out targeting Jermaine Kearse was actually a well thrown ball- Kearse mistimed his jump. I don't blame Kearse for failing to make a 1 handed catch, but like Golden Tate, he needs to learn to stop leaving his feet too early for jump balls.

-During the first quarter, a long, sustained SEA-HAWKS chant was clearly audible on the broadcast.

TLDR:

Bennett, Bailey were amazing. Hill, Howard, Bowie, Johnson flashed more than a little dominance. Jesse Williams struggled pretty badly.

Oh, and keep an eye on #70 (Michael Brooks). A rookie UDFA, I think he might be Michael Bennett 2.0.

kf3339

Reaction score
That was a really fun post to read Kearly! I especially like you going down the list of OL and DL players with detailed analysis. I hope you continue this after each preseason game to show each players improvement or lack of after each game.

Great job!

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A really,good write up. Sam Adams ...Jesse Williams I knew he reminded me of another player but I could note remember who you nailed it. Adams used to drive me nuts with his taking plays off and going through the motions.

I was not as high on Rishaw. He seemed to be out of position too much and playing on his heels a lot. I seem him as a long shot as we have a good group.

rjdriver

Reaction score
Great write up Kip. If you would have told me a few months ago that Moffitt would be struggling to make the final 53 this year, I wouldn't have believed you. It will be curious to see how it all pans out.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Happypuppy":36ltaghc said:
A really,good write up. Sam Adams ...Jesse Williams I knew he reminded me of another player but I could note remember who you nailed it. Adams used to drive me nuts with his taking plays off and going through the motions.

I was not as high on Rishaw. He seemed to be out of position too much and playing on his heels a lot. I seem him as a long shot as we have a good group.

Rishaw Johnson probably was top 5 in this game for "wow" factor for me. Yeah, he started out rough, but after he settled down he stopped giving up pressures and was a total wrecking ball in the run game. Course, 3rd stringers. But man. Wow.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
On Mayowa: Chris Clemons was the exact name that sprung to mind. Same size, same ability to bull rush a tackle, same looking spin move. A raw Chris Clemons, but lets face it, Clemons took years to show the NFL he could pass rush. (3 quiet cheers for the regional scouting combine turning up a guy who was tucked away even on his own college roster)

The emphasis on run blocking over pass blocking probably won't change. I think pass pro is a quality the staff thinks they can add(to an acceptable degree) to a guy who has want to as a run blocker. Not surprised on Moffitt. Only way he sticks is if Cable is stubborn about his handpicked guy. Moffit is a plodding forklift. (The NFL needs an R-rated commentary crew for games, like an alternate audio feed. I nominate Moffitt to quit the NFL and be one of those announcers. It is his true calling)

Other than tight end, and oh what an exception it is, I have never seen a roster this deep. Areas like DT and LB, that I was worried about, seem more than shored up. If the staff sees the need to do so, they have the capital to trade for a tight end right now and still have depth.

seabowl

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1z3imcl9 said:
On Mayowa: Chris Clemons was the exact name that sprung to mind. Same size, same ability to bull rush a tackle, same looking spin move. A raw Chris Clemons, but lets face it, Clemons took years to show the NFL he could pass rush. (3 quiet cheers for the regional scouting combine turning up a guy who was tucked away even on his own college roster)

The emphasis on run blocking over pass blocking probably won't change. I think pass pro is a quality the staff thinks they can add(to an acceptable degree) to a guy who has want to as a run blocker. Not surprised on Moffitt. Only way he sticks is if Cable is stubborn about his handpicked guy. Moffit is a plodding forklift. (The NFL needs an R-rated commentary crew for games, like an alternate audio feed. I nominate Moffitt to quit the NFL and be one of those announcers. It is his true calling)

Other than tight end, and oh what an exception it is, I have never seen a roster this deep. Areas like DT and LB, that I was worried about, seem more than shored up. If the staff sees the need to do so, they have the capital to trade for a tight end right now and still have depth.

I too said to myself during the game that Mayowa reminded me of Clemons. It will be interesting to see who out of the DE group sticks with us now having a plethora of rushers to choose from. I think Mayowa with a couple more strong games makes it though.

Renohawk

Reaction score
Great write up, I never had a chance to watch the game and after initial reviews was going to delete it off the dvr, but with this write up, i'm going to watch it and keep an eye out on some of these new guys.

Axx

Reaction score
Curious to see alvin bailey next week
Run blocking people 3-4 yards in the nfl is really good

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Bailey is my adopt-a-rookie...

Just a word of caution about getting TOO enamored...I'm hoping we can see him and Mayowa against the first stringers next week. It's really hard to judge fully when they are doing it against the back-ups. I'd like for them to get a chance to show it against higher level of competition, but I know that probably won't happen since our 1st and 2nd teamers need reps too, especially live game action.

NFL pre-seasons are littered with exciting prospects, many of which never find their way into the league.

I think Bailey will definitely make the final 53, but I'm not so sure on Mayowa.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Bailey has looked really good against almost anyone they throw at him.

It is not just the hawks fans , others are taking notice of him. The scouts the Seahawks have are just amazing.

Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout)

Best OL performance I've seen yet, and I'm not done with Week 1 yet, was Alvin Bailey. Showed off his quickness and balance. #Seahawks

@RobRang: They won't get the hype of Seahawks' "skill position" players but rookie OTs Alvin Bailey/Michael Bowie have carried over strong play too.

bellingerga

Reaction score
I didn't know Bailey by name, but in gameday chat I think I a few times I commented on "holy crap this line is just destroying those guys out there".

I Noticed the left tackle big time, and for great reasons.

Damn I love these kinds of pleasant surprises.

bellingerga

Reaction score
I didn't know Bailey by name, but in gameday chat I think I a few times I commented on "holy crap this line is just destroying those guys out there".

I Noticed the left tackle big time, and for great reasons.

Damn I love these kinds of pleasant surprises.

Jville

Reaction score
Nice .... nice .... write up.

I value assessments that evolve with player development.

Well done. :th2thumbs:

Jville

Reaction score
-Speaking of TEs, I'm starting to think the McCoy injury could be a big deal, because the TE group behind Miller looks pretty terrible so far. Nearly every dropped pass was by a Seahawks TE in this game. One of those drops was on the softest, most accurate, most catchable ball you will ever see Tarvaris Jackson throw. And Cooper Helfet dropped it. He wasn't contested by a defender either.

Regrettably, this morning's practiced reinforced your concerns. McGrath and Cooper were behind in getting to the ball. More drops. They didn't look that lively to me.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Hell, just because I think top 10 lists are fun.

Top Ten non-starters / non-veterans who stood out to me in the Chargers game, in terms of "wow" factor:

#1: Alvin Bailey - Looks like a rising star, IMO.

#2: Rishaw Johnson - Still has protection issues, but seriously, this guy was a Hutch level mauler in the run game. Someone like Moffitt moves a defender just enough. Someone like Unger and Sweezy can win leverage and finesse block a guy back with great success. But Johnson, he flat out trucks defenders. Fun to watch.

#3: Jaye Howard - All-pro flashes of dominance, but effort is still an issue.

#4: Jordan Hill - Consistently brought pressure, was better against the run than I was expecting him to be.

#5: Michael Bowie - Rock solid with flashes of dominance. He's strong and pushes guys around in both phases. He's on the path to a future starting job.

#6: Christine Michael - maximized yardage in the first half when running lanes weren't really there. Switched to ghost truck mode in the 2nd half. He'll be a star in the NFL if he stays healthy.

#7: Benson Mayowa - If he was just a little bulkier I'd be geeked over him. But hey, Chris Clemons was 236 pounds when he was at the career stage Mayowa is currently at.

#8: Michael Brooks - Collapsed the pocket repeatedly and showed outstanding snap recognition. Deadly first step. Needs to prove it against 1st stringers, but the talent is obvious.

#9: Derrick Coleman - I didn't really notice how well Coleman blocks, but every other aspect of his game is on a Michael Robinson level.

#10: Perez Ashford - Was our best special teams player in this game and that's saying a lot. Looked quick and was an excellent slot WR in college. Looked terrific as a KR- something we need right now.

Honorable mentions: Allen Bradford, Byron Maxwell, Stephen Williams, Jermaine Kearse, Spencer Ware, Mike Morgan, John Lotulelei

Jville

Reaction score
#2: Rishaw Johnson - Still has protection issues, but seriously, this guy was a Hutch level mauler in the run game. Not kidding.

I would welcome a plan B and plan C with the announcement that James Carpenter is out again for at least 2 more weeks.

Seems to me that with Carpenter on the final 53 they would have to consider carrying an extra lineman into the season. Without Carpenter, they save a spot for another need.

Latest posts