First day of Training Camp Impressions

joeseahawks

Reaction score
How in the world did we sign that Notre Dame QB? Wasn't he awful in KC last year?

SDHawk

Reaction score
Great write up!

Very intriguing story around the potential for Phil Bates in beating Chris Harper for a roster spot. They're essentially the same guy! It sounds like Bates just has more polish to his game.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SDHawk":2x5fq9h2 said:
Great write up!

Very intriguing story around the potential for Phil Bates in beating Chris Harper for a roster spot. They're essentially the same guy! It sounds like Bates just has more polish to his game.

Harper will most likely be raw. Remember he was a QB 3 years ago. Then played in a run oriented offense with the worst throwing QB in college football. I'm guessing he'll get better and better as camp goes on.

SDHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":29b81jhd said:
SDHawk":29b81jhd said:
Great write up!

Harper will most likely be raw. Remember he was a QB 3 years ago. Then played in a run oriented offense with the worst throwing QB in college football. I'm guessing he'll get better and better as camp goes on.

Wasn't Bates a QB 3 years ago? Just sayin'

m0ng0

Reaction score
Fantastic write up ! Thank you for that ! Really excited to hear Jesse Williams seems to be doing well. If I was adopting a rook my choice is the aussie !

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SDHawk":3b7yi1yn said:
JSeahawks":3b7yi1yn said:
SDHawk":3b7yi1yn said:
Great write up!

Wasn't Bates a QB 3 years ago? Just sayin'

I have no idea, but I know this is his second professional training camp as a WR. This was Harper's first official practice ever. So it would make perfect sense that Bates is more polished.

minormillikin

Reaction score
Tate looked really motivated out there today.

Coleman stood out. He was quick and giving 100 percent.

Those guys were my mvps today for coming out and working hard for the fans.

Note: I thought it was ET who got the int off Wilson. In any case, Russ was making some gutsy passes today that he probably wouldn't have risked in a game. It reminded me how lucky our offense is, to practice against such a good defense.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
burgers_59":65qf62pv said:
QB's:
Brady Quinn was up and down. He would have a drive where he would make one really good throw. Then he would have several simultaneous plays where he would throw a wild ball into the ground or out of bounds...

Quinn can run simultaneous plays? That's a rare talent! :mrgreen:

Good informative write-up, thanks! Just had to point out the one thing, because It Must Be Done. ;)

SDHawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":30httm2x said:
I have no idea, but I know this is his second professional training camp as a WR. This was Harper's first official practice ever. So it would make perfect sense that Bates is more polished.

OK, I can agree to that. But the point of my comment is that Bates and Harper are redundant and only one will stick. Right now, it seems Bates may play Harper out of a roster spot.

Bates: 6'1/220/4.5 forty/40" vert
Chris Harper: 6'1/230/4.5/36" vert

Heres a really nice article on Bates.

GawksAtHawks

Reaction score
Thank you for the write up!! I enjoyed reading it and look forward to those yet to be written. I can't wait to go to camp myself, though the one I'm attending isn't until aug 10....

Also how was the view from the berm? would you recommend binoculars?

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to create a solid day 1 report.

That was just what I was looking for.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
GawksAtHawks":3vbmsb8g said:
Thank you for the write up!! I enjoyed reading it and look forward to those yet to be written. I can't wait to go to camp myself, though the one I'm attending isn't until aug 10....

Also how was the view from the berm? would you recommend binoculars?

Thank you! Camp is a wonderful experience, I feel that the deeper camp gets the higher intensity is. Since so many people will be fighting for those last roster spots.

The view from the berm is fine without binoculars, but if you want to bring some they could definitely help you see more. Just try and get there early enough to be on one of the first buses that way you can be right on the fence line. That's where I stand, and you can get a good look at everything. Just don't stand behind the film tower, they put a big black pad on the side of it that blocks your view.

FargoHawk

Reaction score
Thank you got the detailed write-up Burgers! Hope you can keep these coming.

Greatly appreciated!!

vant

Reaction score
I saw so many thank you posts, but I really wanted to add another +1 here.

Your post is so thorough, I almost felt like I was there.

Thank you.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I always look forward to these reports and yours was one of the best. Thank you.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
It's really encouraging to hear Jesse Williams is doing so well. Hopefully he can make it into the starting DL, because we can really use a pocket pusher who occupies double teams.

Your observations of Carpenter don't sound good. Hopefully he will come around as TC progresses. He's too damn big and strong to be getting stood up like that regularly.

Great report! Looking forward to the next one.