DVR review Seahawks vs. Packers

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3s6mi964 said:
Turbin did not have good pass pro, but Michael's was abysmal.

Not contradicting you, but I will defend these guys a little bit. Turbin only appeared in my notes once for poor pass pro, and that was against Clay Matthews. Wilson could have handled that situation a little differently to avoid the sack, and Matthews is an all-pro who made a fantastic individual play. Actually, there was a 2nd time during the game that Turbin made my notes for poor pass blocking but it was only because he has weak legs and was driven back alarmingly fast by a physical DE/OLB, but it didn't impact the play. That said it's pretty common for RBs to hold ground poorly vs. bigger, burlier defenders who bull rush.

Michael had two brutal whiffs in pass pro, but on the plus side neither of them involved faulty technique. Both were mental errors. That might be something that improves with time and experience. He looked mostly good in pass pro vs. Chargers. I think it's more than fair to label Michael "dicey" in pass pro, but once he figures things out he could be a pretty good blocker. He's strong and uses good leverage, he's shown that he can clock blitzers heads up. He gives very good effort. He's also a terrific athlete and that helps too. It's important to note that he did very little pass blocking in college.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice stuff kearly. You've effectively changed my mind on Sweezy. Thanks for taking the time to review the game in-depth.

the ditch

Reaction score
Our third downs were extremely frustrating last season, I'm hoping that Pete is just keeping it close to the vest and they have stuff planned to improve on it, great write up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
the ditch":3nycjcgn said:
Our third downs were extremely frustrating last season, I'm hoping that Pete is just keeping it close to the vest and they have stuff planned to improve on it, great write up.
Actually, the third down conversion rate was stellar the last half. Against the Niners, we failed on exactly one.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think he meant defense, though in that same game you referenced, SEA's 3rd down defense was stellar.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Ahh, makes sense. Our D switching to soft zone was a third down theme.

In the GB game last night, it was incredibly easy to predict where GB was throwing. Just see where Seattle was playing off coverage.

the ditch

Reaction score
Yeah sorry, our third down defense, maybe it was just a case of confirmation bias and me thinking that we were terrible at it, looking up some stats shows we were middle of the pack.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Aros":1vkb3tqv said:
Nice stuff kearly. You've effectively changed my mind on Sweezy. Thanks for taking the time to review the game in-depth.

Cool to hear. With my luck, Sweezy will make some ugly mistakes in the next few weeks and kill me for sticking up for him. But I would say I have a lot of patience for him right now. His run blocking is a lot of fun to watch. He's making a huge difference in the run game. And his pass pro so far has basically been no worse than McQuistan's.

I didn't think Moffitt was all that bad, I think the Chris Gray comparisons are pretty close. Chris Gray with personality. And Seattle shipped off a decent player like Moffitt in part because he never had a chance to start over Sweezy in their minds, so I suspect Sweezy has a long rope with the coaching staff too.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
the ditch":30ekxg5p said:
Yeah sorry, our third down defense, maybe it was just a case of confirmation bias and me thinking that we were terrible at it, looking up some stats shows we were middle of the pack.
In your defense, an elite defense having a particular area in the middle of the pack looks like a bigger drop-off than it is in actuality. We're getting spoiled as a fan base, now. :)

ivotuk

Reaction score
Nice work, i too, like everyone else here greatly appreciate the hours and hours of work you put in to this Kearly and honestly believe that some media outfit in Seattle is surely missing out on a great hiring opportunity.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think our 3rd down defense is going to be really strong this year, I just think elite precision QBs like Rodgers, Brees, Manning, and Brady will take what is given on 3rd and short, and that can be frustrating to watch. Thankfully, we only get one of those QBs in the regular season, and we get to face him at home. Maybe Ryan on the road counts too, but Ryan is at his best when throwing intermediate.

It's just a hunch, but I think Bradley had a lot to do with our 3rd down problems. So many soft zones, so many bland pass rushing game plans, so many inept 4 man rushes with a hobbled Red Bryant at one of the end spots. Already, we've seen significant changes to all of those areas under Quinn. Changes I have been pleading to have for years.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":2ptuj3kb said:
It's just a hunch, but I think Bradley had a lot to do with our 3rd down problems.

This. I've believed this since around the middle of last year. Thumbs up. We'll see whether it's correct or not after a few regular season games.

kf3339

Reaction score
Thanks for the extra analysis thread Kearly!

Now when are you going to make a 53 man roster prediction? I hope it's before the 4th preseason game on Thursday!

ivotuk

Reaction score
kf3339":2kg8tby1 said:
Thanks for the extra analysis thread Kearly!

Now when are you going to make a 53 man roster prediction? I hope it's before the 4th preseason game on Thursday!

Check out Robs 53 prediction at seahawksdrafftblog, i believe Kearly has a response there that covers the 53,

gargantual

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3ifex6kf said:
kearly":3ifex6kf said:
It's just a hunch, but I think Bradley had a lot to do with our 3rd down problems.

This. I've believed this since around the middle of last year. Thumbs up. We'll see whether it's correct or not after a few regular season games.
I was initially concerned after losing Bradley, but if it actually ends up becoming an upgrade (which it's looking like more and more)......oh man! What an embarrassment of wealth we are ending up with on this team! Not the way we're used to things going for this team over the years. Wow.

gargantual

Reaction score
Aros":jg5ec8dd said:
I remember in your post game thread about reigning in Super Bowl expectations, you specifically referred to waiting to hear what Kearly said, and here we are......again! It's come to the point (long ago, really) where this has become a given.

Man, it's hard to imagine having to get by without your insightful, deeply valuable posts Kip. Thank you so much for all your hard work on these pieces. Like it's been said, you should be getting paid for this professional level of analysis (and writing!). ESPN is missing out.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2j3l7fkn said:
kearly":2j3l7fkn said:

I agree, but it won't be certain until after more than a few regular season games because defenses always start off hotter than offenses. Let's see how they finish.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Interesting take, my theory is the offense is completely recalibrating on the fly and you guys better not fall over dead when Percy shows up sometime between St. Louis and New Orleans. Given he gives Wilson the tools to actually start using the plays his idol does and likely to far better effect. Given his team is far more balanced.

The short pass game is absent from Wilson's arsenal hence the delayed blitz. Please try that with Percy in the lineup. Please?

Happypuppy

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1k0dvoeg said:
The short pass game is absent from Wilson's arsenal hence the delayed blitz. Please try that with Percy in the lineup. Please?

I think we will see it with Tate until Harvin ready. We didn't even see any bubble screens in the preseason and we did it a lot last season. They are playing pretty vanilla