First day of Training Camp Impressions

burgers_59

Reaction score
QB's:
I'll start with Russell Wilson. He didn't have the best of days out there, but hey that's alright. It's the first day. He had a lot of open guys that he didn't throw to today, it wasn't just on the left or the right side, it was on both. He also forced a lot of passes on the run which led to a few interceptions during his time scrimmaging against the ones as well as the twos. He did have some good passes that receivers made plays for, such as Golden Tate as well as Stephen Williams. He seemed to be favoring the tight ends today, being Willson, McGrath, Helfeit and Fells.

Tarvaris Jackson really impressed me, this time last year when I was watching him at training camp he seemed to favor the right side of the field. He would barely throw to his left even if someone was open, and he would make wild throws on the run. What a difference a year makes! He was reading the field very well and delivered very catchable balls to his open receivers. He also excelled in dumping the ball off when he had to, as well as throwing the ball away when he had no other option. Something he rarely did in camp last year.

Brady Quinn was up and down. He would have a drive where he would make one really good throw. Then he would have several simultaneous plays where he would throw a wild ball into the ground or out of bounds. In the battle of the backup qb's I give the edge to T Jack after today.

RB's:
Lynch had a nice day even though his reps were limited. He looked really nimble and light footed, putting some good moves on defenders on the second level. He also caught the ball out of the backfield and ahead of the line of scrimmage well. No drops or fumbles from him today.

Christine Michael had a very nice day today. He displays a lot of explosiveness and power. He also didn't have any drops when passed to. He has a serious burst once he hits stride, he runs with power and fluidity. It's a treat to watch. He did have one negative play, while on a breakaway touchdown run. He didn't realize that he was being chased down by Bruce Irvin, and a few yards away from the endzone Bruce punched the ball out. Other than that play, Michael looked like he could play in Turbin's place.

Spencer Ware and Derick Coleman had very similar days. Limited reps, but did well with their time. Both saw time at running back as well as full back. Coleman got to roll with the ones for a few plays, whereas Ware ran with the twos. Neither made big plays but they did look solid when finding a person to block. Coleman had two catches on roll out passes. One from Russell and one from T Jack. He looks like a very natural receiver. I'm excited to see what Ware does when he gets some balls thrown his way.

Mike Rob had a very good practice. Looking good in special teams drills. As well as making good blocks and catches with the first team offense. I don't see him losing his job unless he succumbs to injury. Which hopefully won't happen (knock on wood).

Turbin was out today, apparently he's on the PUP.

TE's:
What a day from these guys.
McGrath got a lot of snaps with the ones today. He held his own in run blocking as well as staying in for pass blocking. He looks a lot better at route running this year compared to last, and he wasn't bad at it last year. He is reading zones left in the defense well and displays good hands. As well as an incredible beard.

Luke Willson had himself a day as well. He wasn't left on the line to block too much, but when he did he held his own. Sealing the edge on a few outside runs. When running routes he looks like a wide receiver, he's a very smooth route runner and displays great hands. He had some really nice catches, a few in traffic and a few when open. He had no drops today and looked about as legitimate as McGrath did. He got snaps with ones some as the only tight end in a formation and some in a two tight end look with himself and McGrath.

Daniel Fells and Cooper Helfet both had big plays today. Helfet got some looks at Wideout, and had one long post pass for a touchdown. Fells ran a lot of sideline routes and comebacks. When thrown to he knows how to separate his body from a defender and isn't afraid to go all out for a 50/50 ball.

Zach Miller was out today and is also sadi to be on the PUP list.

WR's:
The big news here was definitely Percy Harvin's injury. Maybe a torn hip labrum. could need surgery. His body language wasn't too positive when he was standing around, looked pretty bummed out. I feel bad for the guy.

Sidney Rice had a solid day. He didn't have too many targets but was getting off of press well and had some plays where he was open but not thrown to. A few intermediate catches, good day for him.

Golden Tate Looked really good. He was running his routes with authority and was making a lot of moves after the catch. He's looking more and more like 10 touchdown constant threat receiver. He saw time in the slot and burned just about everyone he went up against while inside. He also fielded some punts, I see him being the starting punt returner. And if they don't want him there due to the chances of injury, he could fill in for whoever wins that job.

Doug Baldwin was smooth as always. Running his routes well and making some good contested catches in scrimmage action. He saw action on the outside as well as in the slot. I'm looking forward to seeing him get some more catches.

Phil Bates got a lot of time with the ones today. He's a very very physical guy, getting off of press well and making some nice catches on the sideline. While he was in he got a lot of throws from Russell, a few of the throws weren't spot on. But Bates showed exceptional separation ability as well as strong hands.

Stephen Williams had some big plays. He is definitely the dark horse of the receiving group. He made some really nice catches over Jeremy Lane, who couldn't have covered him any better. He runs his routes a little tightly, but his overall athletic ability makes you look past that. He had a catch on a cross pattern, then turned on the burners and went into the endzone. This guy is exciting to watch in camp.

Harper, Heard, Walters, Clark, Veltung and Kearse all had pretty quiet days. None had many targets but when they did they caught the pass. Out of this group Walters had the most catches and impressed the most. He had a few diving sideline catches and showed some promise.

OL:
Starting group was; Okung, McQuistan, Unger, Sweezy and Breno. As a unit they looked very solid, both in run blocking and pass blocking. No matter what the defensive rotation on the D Line was, they stood them up.
Second group was; Person, Carpenter/Moffitt, Jean Pierre, Seymour and a mix of Bailey, Bowie and Bscherer at right tackle. Out of this group, Person looked the best. Pushing speed blockers away from the pocket and getting good leverage on run blocks. Carpenter got stood up a lot, especially by Jesse Williams. There's a lot of time to improve, but he looks quite rusty. Moffitt looked better than Carpenter. He's in a lot better shape and shows promise as a capable backup. Jean Pierre delivered good snaps and didn't get pushed back too much. Seymour got mauled today, I counted him only having one win in practice. Jesse Williams constantly stood him up and eventually put him on his ass. Seymour needs to stay lower longer, he stands up too easily. In the right tackle rotation I was most impressed by Alvin Bailey. He is a solid blocker, both in pass and run situations. He has exceptional hip movement and feet for a guy his size. After today I see him being the backup right tackle. But hey, it's only day one.

Jared Smith, and Rishaw Johnson. They didn't play too much, Smith was the first guy out and was snapping the ball before practice started. He definitely has work to do. Johnson was exclusively used in run plays and showed a lot of power. He seems to do excel in pulling guard situations.

DLine:
Starting Dline; Avril, Mebane, Mcdaniel/Mcdonald, Bennet/Big Red. The starting line looked pretty good, they got good penetration and Mebane batted down a few passes. Not a whole lot of pressure was produced on pass plays, but when their was it seemed that the whole D line would win. Rather than just one guy. Excited to see how they progress through camp.

Second D line; Boatright, Williams, Hill/Howard, Mayowa. Jesse Williams was the man from this group. I counted one loss for him on the day. He played primarily against the twos but had a few reps with the ones and was on the starting field goal block team. Williams stood up everyone he went against, requiring double teams a majority of the snaps he was in. He pushed the pocket back on pass plays and got his hands up consistently on pass plays. Getting a few batted passes, on run plays he always got penetration that let the linebackers roam and make plays. Boatright looked quick off the edge but is relying on that only to get to the QB. He needs to work on his inside moves. Hill looked better than Howard, who did not look very good at all today. Mayowa also relies on speed primarily to get off the edge.

Clem was out of course. But he was running and jogging around the field which was nice to see. He did limp a bit but for the most part he looks like he has been recovering well.

LB's: Starting LB's; KJ, Bobby, Smith/Irvin. This group was very sound, KJ had a nice pick off of Russell. Bobby shed his blocks and looked very good in coverage. Man on man as well as zone. The Smith Irvin combo is fun to watch, Smith excels in pass coverage while Bruce is basically a maniac sideline to sideline blur of speed. He applied great pressure from the outside linebacker spot, he sheds block a lot better when he has the space to do it. Which he struggled with a bit when he played defensive end. He really does remind me of Von Miller. He's got the size as well as the speed and strength to actually start at the outside spot.

Second group LB's: Bradford, Farwell, Morgan/Lotuleilei/Knox.
Lotuleilei impressed me the most here. He ran special team drills as well as Linebacker ones. This guy is very fast and smart. On the few read option plays that were ran against him, he read them perfectly. He saw time at outside LB and inside LB with the twos. I can see him making a push to make the 53 man roster. Which will either etch out Farwell or Morgan. Who both had similar days, they looked better in run defense than in pass coverage, both have stiff hips whereas Lotuleilei has no problem opening his hips to cover. I didn't see much from Knox, he got hit in the nuts early in practice and was on a knee most of the day. But i can't blame him, that shit hurts.

Toomer was out today, he is on the non football injury list.

Secondary:

First String: Browner/WTIII, Earl, Kam, Sherman with Winfield in the nickel, he split some reps with Thurmond as well. The LOB looks very fresh, giving up only two catches between Winfield and Browner. The only passes complete when they were in were those against linebackers. Sherm had a pick and a dropped pick in his time out, when he wasn't dancing he was providing lights out coverage. This group is so damn special, enjoy watching them.

Second String: Lane, Maragos/Johnson, Guy, Shead/Maxwell with Parker and Johnson splitting time in the nickel spot. Like I said last year, I believe that Jeron Johnson can start on any other team. The guy can play both safety postions and the nickel, all quite well. Maragos had a very good day both in special teams drills and one on one drills. In the scrimmage he read the field very well and knew where to position himself on 50/50 balls, coming away with a few batted passes. Guy spent a lot of time at single high safety and covered the tight ends well. I can see him playing in nickel situations if he makes the 53. Lane was lockdown all day, he didn't have one play where he wasn't basically glued to the receiver. He did give up two 50/50 balls to Stephen Williams, but his coverage really couldn't have bee any better. Shead definitely out-shined Maxwell who looked very sloppy today. He had to play catchup a lot with the wideouts he was facing, I see him more as a special teams guy.

Tharold Simon was out and is on the PUP. But when you see this guy in person, he definitely looks the part. Tall, built guy. Excited to see him play.

Special Teams!!!

Clint Gresham ran drills with the LB's today and actually looked pretty good. As for his snaps, he made no mistakes. Looks like million dollar long snapper to me.

Kyle Nelson split reps with Gresh today and also didn't muff any snaps. He looks pretty good, I could see us keeping him if he stays consistent. Since the team would be saving an extra 500k against the cap with him.

Jon "Jonny Bravo" Ryan had some beautiful punts today. A lot of hang time and distance from this guy. Even his short punts hang good hang time.

Carson Wiggs punted and kicked. He should definitely stick to kicking field goals, he muffed every other punt he attempted. But when kicking Field Goals he was toe to toe with Hauschka.

Steven Hauschka looked solid, hitting kicks from the 30's and 40's. Neither kicker kicked from 50 or more yards away. Hopefully that changes as camp progresses.

Overall a very solid first day, best I've seen overall in the past three seasons under Pete. A lot of room to improve but there was some real standouts today. A day like this makes me excited for the rest of camp. I'll be at practice tomorrow, I'll let you all know how things improve.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
Sorry about the short starting O line description! Out of the whole group I see McQuistan being the potential the odd man out. Not necessarily because of play, but because of money against the cap. If one of the second string guys stands out, which I could easily see being Bailey or Moffitt. They could take McQuistan's job and he will be cut. Okung and Unger definitely looked like pro bowl players. Sweezy looked a lot better in pass protection, he looks like he's been playing O line his whole career now. Credit is due to Cable. Breno had one false start, but other than that his game was very strong. He looked very light on his feet in pass pro, and stayed low in run situations.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Great write up burger! WR I thought looked very deep. McGrath I agree looks very good. I think he will be a capable backup. Some big boys on the DL, I did not key in them however. Carp looked rusty.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Superb writeup. Thanks for taking the time to share it. The bit about Knox had me rolling.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I will be especially curious to see how our rookie DTs fare against guys with NFL Experience/pedigree like Carp and Moffit.

billio155

Reaction score
Thanks so much! You don't know how much I've been looking forward to reading that! Keep em coming...please.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1miv8ows said:
Really nice post man, thank you. Any more details on Sweezy?

He played on a lean a lot last year, which is why he lost a lot of one on one battles last year. From what I saw today that doesn't seem to be much of an issue. He plays back and low rather than forward and high. He didn't get moved at all really when run blocking and held his own when pass blocking. He has improved a lot since last year, he has the potential to be a star at guard for us this season.

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
Thank you for all the support guys, will be doing a writeup tomorrow. As well as next tuesday and wednesday. I think as camp progresses the competition will get more and more intense!

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2wcozp9k said:
Hmmm.... sounds like we have a good ol' fashion Quarterback controversy!!

Go TJack!

To me its no surprise he looks better now that the pressure of competing for a starting spot is lifted

bubbrubb

Reaction score
how bout the Marshall guy at TE? Being from the real Vancouver (he attended UBC) im curious to see how he fares. Talked to my buddy on UBC team adn said he was the best player hes ever played with....curious to know how he does for the hometown team!

Ditto on awesome write up!

jake206

Reaction score
T-Jack..lol..dude makes me smile and cringe at the same time. Smile, because he's such a good teammate, but cringe when I think about him being a starter. Good bench guy though.

I'd reserve judgement on how well these guys play, until after the hitting starts. Then we'll see the men from the boys. Anyone can play flag football (t-shirt and shorts), but can you still make the play after 2-3 slobberknockers?

OP
OP
burgers_59

burgers_59

Reaction score
bubbrubb":3b4p5vv5 said:
how bout the Marshall guy at TE? Being from the real Vancouver (he attended UBC) im curious to see how he fares. Talked to my buddy on UBC team adn said he was the best player hes ever played with....curious to know how he does for the hometown team!

Ditto on awesome write up!

I did see Marshal, he's number 87 in camp. Didn't get to play in the scrimmage, but definitely looks the part. From what I saw in the few times I saw him in the drills he caught well. Maybe within the next few days he'll get some more time with the twos.

And thanks man!

davidonmi

Reaction score
Love the stuff on Michael and McGrath, both are important especially McGrath to this season, wanted some better news on harper