C Mike

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawks46":2gf70v9n said:
Seanhawk":2gf70v9n said:
Garbage time or not, has Turbin ever had a carry over 4 yards? I'm partly kidding, but part of me isn't.

Which part of you feels ridiculous, as that's the most ridiculous comment I've seen on here in a long time.

Turbin averaged 4.2 ypc over his entire rookie season. He's on pace for 6.1 this year, if his stats carry out.

Like Hawkwow said, it's a rhythmic thing. I honestly don't get all the Turbin hate here. Here's a thread about Christine Michael (who I thought looked decent, but hey! the defense was worn down in the 4th quarter) and half the posts here are hating on Turbin. I just don't get it....no he's not the best back in the league, or even on our roster, but he's not as patently terrible as many here claim.

It's not really hate, he is what he is, nothing more than an average RB at this point. I also don't like how easily he is tackled, I get that Marshawn is rare and there is no one like that in the league but Michael has that explosiveness that you want in a running back, I mean there is a reason we drafted him where we did.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
"Better" means a lot of things besides running well in garbage time. Does he block better? Does he pick up his assignments better? Does he see the hole better? Does he follow his blockers better?

Is Michael quicker and more explosive? Probably, but "better" means many more things than just being faster.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":195sstjz said:
"Better" means a lot of things besides running well in garbage time. Does he block better? Does he pick up his assignments better? Does he see the hole better? Does he follow his blockers better?

Is Michael quicker and more explosive? Probably, but "better" means many more things than just being faster.

Turbin is better at getting on the field.

mrblitz

Reaction score
michael looks like he plays 'too fast'. he needs the 'vision thing'. slow it down just a half step, until he sees the crease, then boom.

definitely a big and fast dude. physically very impressive by the eye test. but he doesn't yet have the patience, the thing of checking things out just a tad before going off.

(edit: oh and needing to slow down just a bit is a great problem to have; much better than being too slow to begin with)

Exittium

Reaction score
Was he running with Mike Rob as his eyes i don't remember? If not I still think he's better then Turb, if so he still did better. And as for being tackled "too easily" I don't know .. I'd say you breathe on Turbin he falls over squirming around on the ground trying to look like he's fighting for more yardage. Sorry yes Turbin's big, but I'm still not sold on him. I think he'll always be a 2nd or 3rd string guy until we get rid of him. From the small amount I've see of C. Mike he's on pace to be our next beast not Turbin. And i know a lot of you are going to want to argue which is fine, but this is my opinion and I'm holding firm.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Here's something for the Turbo haters to think about; In Turbin's first 121 carries as a Seahawk (2012 & '13) he has never fumbled the ball. That is a great stat for a back up RB. He is the consistent guy who doesn't need to get into rhythm and doesn't turn the ball over.

With that said, I love what we've seen out of C-Mike. He ran with purpose yesterday and you could see it. Hopefully he will continue to champ at the bit and produce when we call his number.

I agree with mrblitz a bit, he could use a little more patience and use his explosion, but hitting the hole at that speed every time is going to set you up for those big runs.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":8hglm26o said:
Here's something for the Turbo haters to think about; In Turbin's first 121 carries as a Seahawk (2012 & '13) he has never fumbled the ball. That is a great stat for a back up RB. He is the consistent guy who doesn't need to get into rhythm and doesn't turn the ball over.

Fumbles are not an indicator of a great running back. If I was the hawks running back and never fumbled I would still suck as a running back.

Im fine with Turbo as a backup/3rd down back.....CMike is the one with starter qualities and I think that is what most "turbo haterz" would argue.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I don't think its so much that they are Turbo Haters, just that they have a shiny new toy in the garage and want to take that puppy for a spin.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
Evil_Shenanigans":2n7cw24w said:
I don't think its so much that they are Turbo Haters, just that they have a shiny new toy in the garage and want to take that puppy for a spin.

This and to me, Turbin leaves a bit to be desired as a rusher. Every time I feel like it almost was a really good run, but it just went for 2-3 yards, and then he'll occasionally break one for 10+.

HawkWow

Reaction score
CortezKennedyfan":1o0cmpcm said:
I like Turbin as a 3rd down back. Nothing more though.

He's only 23. According to at least one analysis: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/articles/age.htm the peak for running backs is about 28.

From year's of watching football, I would say it is between 25-28.

I'm surprised by that conclusion because the NFL life expectancy of a RB is just 5 years. I don't mean to be redundant, and probably not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but there is no easier position to transition from college to pro, than RB. I am of the opinion, and could be wrong, that your featured back should be a trusted, seasoned producer and performer by year 3. Turbin would be exempt from that because he is not a featured back, so may take longer to develop.

Youtube Turbin's highlights last year. Then youtube his highlights from his final year at ISU. I saw marked improvement and see that trend continuing. He knows his role, holds onto the ball and gets us 4 ypc while ML is getting some skittles and oxygen. Personally, I love the guy and what he brings to the team. Yes, he does need to pick his feet up higher, but that's not likely to change, so that blemish would fall on the scouts that decided he would be ML's back-up.

The thought of Turbin going to another team scares the hell out of me. Just a feeling...like the one I had the day (dumbass) Holmy dumped Ahman Green because of a fumble in an exhibition game in Vancouver, IIRC. It was Holmy's first year and his way of saying "fumbling won't be tolerated on my team". Personally, I would have rather had Green than Alexander, everything considered.

Hawks46

Reaction score
HawkWow":2r8t7drd said:
CortezKennedyfan":2r8t7drd said:
I like Turbin as a 3rd down back. Nothing more though.

He's only 23. According to at least one analysis: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/articles/age.htm the peak for running backs is about 28.

From year's of watching football, I would say it is between 25-28.

I'm surprised by that conclusion because the NFL life expectancy of a RB is just 5 years. I don't mean to be redundant, and probably not telling anyone anything they don't already know, but there is no easier position to transition from college to pro, than RB. I am of the opinion, and could be wrong, that your featured back should be a trusted, seasoned producer and performer by year 3. Turbin would be exempt from that because he is not a featured back, so may take longer to develop.

Youtube Turbin's highlights last year. Then youtube his highlights from his final year at ISU. I saw marked improvement and see that trend continuing. He knows his role, holds onto the ball and gets us 4 ypc while ML is getting some skittles and oxygen. Personally, I love the guy and what he brings to the team. Yes, he does need to pick his feet up higher, but that's not likely to change, so that blemish would fall on the scouts that decided he would be ML's back-up.

The thought of Turbin going to another team scares the hell out of me. Just a feeling...like the one I had the day (dumbass) Holmy dumped Ahman Green because of a fumble in an exhibition game in Vancouver, IIRC. It was Holmy's first year and his way of saying "fumbling won't be tolerated on my team". Personally, I would have rather had Green than Alexander, everything considered.
Agreed, and I agree with Smelly McUgly about Turbin running through contact better this year. Last year he seemed to go down a lot easier. I like CMike and I think he will be good. If he plays too fast, he just needs to get some game reps and he'll develop vision and slow down...I'm not worried about that.

I don't think Turbin is Lynch's replacement, but the comments about him falling over by getting breathed on and can't even get 4 yards are also over the top. He's about as solid a #2 as you're going to see in the league; there's a lot of teams out there that would kill for Turbin and I'm betting he could be a 1000 yard back for the right team. Stylistically, Turbin is different than Lynch and that helps; when Lynch comes out, Turbin is a quicker back and it can take a defense by surpsise.

I think Michael has better potential. He doesn't break tackles any better than Turbin, and he's really not any faster but he's very much more explosive. My comparison would be like Tate and Harvin (if they had the same top gear). Tate is fast, but he doesn't have elite acceleration. Harvin has elite acceleration; he just gets there faster. CMike gets to top speed incredibly fast; I think that will help him in times when someone would've gotten a hand on Turbin.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
I am just happy the Hawks have a stable of RB's, all very good with one seasoned PRO-BOWLER, skittle eating BEAST!

Nearpost

Reaction score
Turbin seems to be a clone of Lynch. When Michael comes in with his different running style, can this throw a defense off, more than when Turbin steps in for Lynch?

chrispy

Reaction score
Thank God neither of them have to take the load right now. The beauty of Pete's philosophy is that it doesn't matter who is better right now. They'll compete for playing time and whomever earns it will get it, regardless of who we think is better.

BTW
Pete said in his presser that Michael had/has some problems with blocking. I think, specifically, he was asked what aspects CM needed to improve upon and he said "all aspects" but then he went on to talk about one or two whiffs on blocking assignments.

He also talked about the Oline and how those young guys have earned playing time even when Breno and Okung get back. I see the RB spot the same. CM has earned some playing time but isn't complete enough to take the number 1 or 2 spot. That's not to say that he won't use the offseason or even these last 6 games to take it, but he hasn't yet. To me though, he has shown enough to give him some carries. I think it's just that easy to analyze.

titan3131

Reaction score
Exittium":17bhxljp said:
Was he running with Mike Rob as his eyes i don't remember? If not I still think he's better then Turb, if so he still did better. And as for being tackled "too easily" I don't know .. I'd say you breathe on Turbin he falls over squirming around on the ground trying to look like he's fighting for more yardage. Sorry yes Turbin's big, but I'm still not sold on him. I think he'll always be a 2nd or 3rd string guy until we get rid of him. From the small amount I've see of C. Mike he's on pace to be our next beast not Turbin. And i know a lot of you are going to want to argue which is fine, but this is my opinion and I'm holding firm.

I would beg to differ!

he may have not fumbled running. But @ 49ers last year he fumbled a pass and it would have been a 1st down crucial to scoring and we all know how close that game was.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Turbin is terrible after initial contact and I think Evan Silva wrote an article saying he is one of the worst in the league at it. Turbin is safe and doesn't make mistakes and is good on third downs. He's not even in the same conversation as a runner with Michael. I will be shocked if he doesn't get more carries as the season goes on.

I think he has "earned" it based on what I saw against Atlanta.

Latest posts