Mike Kafka Discussion

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
**I plan on making these for more of the candidates. I'm not a stan for Kafka, he's just the one I wanted to write about first.

Mike Kafka is one of the reported interviewees for our head job. His candidacy has been met with widespread criticism, but is it all deserved?

One could make a pretty reasonable case for Kafka being unfairly maligned as a result of his current situation. He's under a dysfunctional head coach in Daboll who has been driving people away from the organization like mad. There are multiple reports of him obstructing Kafka from doing his job properly and berating him and other staff constantly.

Kafka's been saddled with a rough task in New York. Daniel Jones is not good, their offensive line is not good, their running game is unreliable, their defense is middling and just had their DC pushed out by their psycho coach, and.. well, yeah. Psycho HC.

Kafka's background, though, is interesting. He's a Reid disciple, both as a player and a coach. He coordinated a wonderful KC passing game and did initially elevate the Giants offense is 2022.

Kafka's not all bad. There's some legit background there and he comes from a proven tree. Does his lack of recent success in a bad situation relegate him to to second-rate OC status, or does his background as a disciple of a highly successful coaching tree plus his previous success perhaps indicate that he's undervalued?

Discuss below.

Kafka's resume for additional background:

20240116 111721

Rat

Reaction score
I've thought for a while that he would be a good coach once he got his chance. Northwestern grad who was known as a real cerebral guy when he was a backup with the Eagles, and he learned under one of the league's best systems in Kansas City. Yeah, the Giants offense wasn't a revelation this year, but they had practically no talent (that Daniel Jones contract was such a mistake) and Tommy DeVito still ended up looking like a passable quarterback for a time.

Ozzy

Reaction score
He is super well respected in NFL circles as a bright coach. I watched a couple interviews and he just didn't seem like a head coach to me but I also think we've been spoiled by Pete a little bit? I also thought the same thing about Mcdaniels but my opinion has changed too.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
He's only been coaching for 7 or 8 years. All but 1 with KC. Pass.
To be fair, he was a longtime backup QB before that. Basically another coach, in a way.

I personally don't view inexperience as a positive, but it seems like less of a prerequisite than it used to be.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
I’ll take Franz Kafka?

And thanks for the write up. I enjoy homegrown writing more than google and chatgpt (although they all have their places and utility)

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Big gamble. Only 2 years experience as a coordinator? With the Giants, nonetheless?

The rest of his coaching career, one could argue he was just riding the coat tails of Andy Ried.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
No thanks..how did the Giants get better with him??? It's not like they made the playoffs or remotely looked good on offense. Does anyone not recall the beatdown we put on them a couple months back? This would come across as a desperate hire of a guy no one else wanted and show no one decent wanted to coach here. Hard pass....

Please don't argue what he did with Devito who liked garbage excluding one fluke game ....