Bobby says Russ tried to recruit him to Denver 1 week before trade

rcaido

Reaction score
Looks like Bobby is doing damage control and not burn his bridges with Seattle organization.

Emotions played a big role i think, Bobby was butthurt he got cut and lost out on his 20million. He didn't want to go to the meeting and maybe discuss a paycut...Seem like Seattle wanted to still talk to him by asking him to negotiate.

As for Russ not being able to recruit is very debatable...If anything, its probably because John doesn't like to overpay & Pete is a defensive minded coach who want to run the ball. I guess time will tell if he is able to attract other receivers in Denver.

Remember Tate wanted to stay, so did Earl, so did Sherm, so did Wright, and im pretty sure Bobby too...We just dont want to pay out.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
It is weird that people are calling Wilson out for not disclosing the trade a week before the trade, but not mentioning that Pete himself said he had no intention of trading Wilson either - when we were clearly moving to trade him.

Shouldn't be a shock why Bobby wouldn't want to follow. Wilson is leaving a defensively minded HC who was squandering his ability...to go to team with a new HC, that is offensively minded. That is great for Russ but probably not great for someone like Wagner.

And that is in a competitive division.

But honestly, considering Bobby's reaction it feels like he didn't follow because some tiny bit of him still thought he might still be staying.

Can't blame Bobby, a Defensive HOF, for not wanting to go to a new landing place in a more competitive division with a question mark at HC that may not be defensive-minded at all.

And now he gets to stick it to the Hawks 2x a year while being in a much easier division + having a better chance at making the SB
When Russell Wilsons' Agent said LAST YEAR, that there were only a smattering of Teams that he'd sign off on IN A TRADE SCENARIO for & the Broncos being at the top of his desired destinations, That was a BIG HEADS UP BY RUSSELL WILSON TO EVERYONE, Including the MEDIA MANIACS.
How is Pete lying about NOT HAVING INTENTIONS on trading Wilson away????
You expected what?, that Pete lay all his cards on the Donkos Negotiation table BEFORE arriving at an agreement with them???
I know how I'd feel if my Franchise QB went public a YEAR in advance, on his desire was to bail on the team.
Was Pete NOT trying to help Wilson by canning Bevell? Schotts? & how about TRYING a third time by bringing in Waldren, if it wasn't to HELP WILSON?
"OH BUT, Pete had to interfere with the OC's"? YES by insisting on developing a Run Game to HELP keep the chains moving, and cut down on the interceptions & turnovers that were starting to rack up when Russ started Cooking (& burning).
Russell Wilson had his best success, early on, when he had Marshawn Lynch at his side.
Like it or not, the Seahawks brought home their first ever Lombardi by having an ALL WORLD DEFENSE, & an Offense that was stellar at >PLAYING PETE BALL<

hawkfan68

Reaction score
When Russell Wilsons' Agent said LAST YEAR, that there were only a smattering of Teams that he'd sign off on IN A TRADE SCENARIO for & the Broncos being at the top of his desired destinations, That was a BIG HEADS UP BY RUSSELL WILSON TO EVERYONE, Including the MEDIA MANIACS.
You expected what?, that Pete lay all his cards on the Donkos Negotiation table BEFORE arriving at an agreement with them???
I know how I'd feel if my Franchise QB went public a YEAR in advance, on his desire was to bail on the team.
Was Pete NOT trying to help Wilson by canning Bevell? Schotts? & how about TRYING a third time by bringing in Waldren, if it wasn't to HELP WILSON?
"OH BUT, Pete had to interfere with the OC's"? YES by insisting on developing a Run Game to HELP keep the chains moving, and cut down on the interceptions & turnovers that were starting to rack up when Russ started Cooking (& burning).
Russell Wilson had his best success, early on, when he had Marshawn Lynch at his side.
Like it or not, the Seahawks brought home their first ever Lombardi by having an ALL WORLD DEFENSE, & an Offense that was stellar at >PLAYING PETE BALL<
Agreed. Want to see an example of what not to do when trying to get value for a player trade - look at how the Browns are handling the Mayfield situation. They should have traded Mayfield before they traded for Watson. Now teams know they can't keep him and are just waiting for them to release him. Definitely a stupid way of doing things. They panicked about the situation, gave the farm for Watson and will get very little in return, if anything, for Mayfield. Glad the Seahawks didn't do that with Wilson.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
No he won't.

Wilson is literally the most important player in the history of this franchise.

He will be cheered. And as a key piece for the SB victory, it will be for a very valid reason.

John63

Reaction score
Looks like Bobby is doing damage control and not burn his bridges with Seattle organization.

Emotions played a big role i think, Bobby was butthurt he got cut and lost out on his 20million. He didn't want to go to the meeting and maybe discuss a paycut...Seem like Seattle wanted to still talk to him by asking him to negotiate.

As for Russ not being able to recruit is very debatable...If anything, its probably because John doesn't like to overpay & Pete is a defensive minded coach who want to run the ball. I guess time will tell if he is able to attract other receivers in Denver.

Remember Tate wanted to stay, so did Earl, so did Sherm, so did Wright, and im pretty sure Bobby too...We just dont want to pay out.

Well, there are at least 3-4 new Bronoces who said they came because Wisloon recruited them. There have been players that came to Seattle because he recruited them. Just because you recruit them does not mean the FO will get them.

Last edited:

John63

Reaction score
Do you mean as opposed to the year before where they were looking to trade him, or several years earlier when it got leaked they were looking to trade him? Wilson more than likely after being told they were looking to trade him several times said fine I dont want to but if you're going to try to trade me, here is where I will go. To me this was a tit for tat between PC and Wilson.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
No he won't.

He will be cheered. And as a key piece for the SB victory, it will be for a very valid reason.

I wouldn't be so sure.

While your unflappable loyalty is commendable, not everyone feels the way you do.

Case in point: A twelve year old "fixed" his #3 jersey by taping over Wilson's name with "2 first rounders" and then wore it to a Mariners game.

Again, I appreciate your stance, but a few (or more?) are salty to varying degrees.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Russell Wilson hawks jerseys can be had for very cheap right now on fanatics..although Wagner jerseys remain regularly priced...I dont have a Wilson jersey but I'd probably file it somewhere with the Earl Thomas jersey I do have..Give me a Wagner, Lynch, Chancellor, Largent, Jones jersey which are timeless imo to be worn anytime.

Last edited:

IndyHawk

Reaction score
wilson GIF

Hyak

Reaction score
No comments on Wagner's clarification that Wilson was not recruiting him?

Regardless, this is all noise. In divorces between teams and veteran star players, there's always some level of both sides being right and wrong. Not to mention times heals wounds. Wagner and Russ will be welcomed back after retiring and both will be in the ring of honor and HOF'ers.

I don't think either guy will be as beloved as Lynch or Chancellor. Of this era of Seahawks football, it always seems those 2 standout over the others in terms of fan likeability. That's even with Marshawn pulling the stunt he did before the Vikings playoff game.

keasley45

Reaction score
This^^^^^^
This what? If you'd asked me doe a year ago if i'd intended to break off my wedding engagement, I would have said no, absolutely not.. if you'd asked me a month before said engagement was broken, I'd still have said no, absolutley not. But there are two sides. Two intentions. And if a bridge can't be built to mend ties, it doesn't matter what one party intends or not. Eventually, not intending to, will become ' ok, let's do it' .

To try to spin PC as the villain in this is nuts. But for many in the league and in our fanbase the dude, despite all the great he's done for the team, the city, still has to fight through the perception of being deceptive, or disloyal, going back to his very announcement as HC. He came here with a target on his back from USC... he lies, he's carried by his assistants, he can't be trusted, etc etc etc.

Bobby's feelings got involved. His emotions clouded his professional judgement. There are emotions on both sides, but when you're an executive in charge of running a franchise, fielding a winner, and balancing the books, emotions are set aside. John conducted himself the way he should have. Both sides knew it was 'business'. Bobby, the agent, should have, without emotion, represented his client. He couldn't. There's no 'wrong' here. It's just unfortunate.

Re Russ... Russ is who he's been rumored to be. He will smile and say and do whatever is 'right' for the camera. That's fine. But i take issue with the way he handled last season and his dishonesty in saying he had no idea he was being traded. He initiated the conversation. He knew about it. He wanted Denver, recruited teammates to go with him well before the trade... and then looked into the camera and said he had no idea until the FO told him he was being moved... like the day before?

That's not a leopard. That's a chameleon. Change your look entirely to benefit yourself in whatever environment you are in.

Wish Bobby was here for half the money he had.

Let Denver deal with Russ.

One thing I know is there likely won't be a Russel Wilson interview where he's as honest about what really went down, the way Bobby just did. Two great players, both. One great Seahawk.

massari

Reaction score
Bunch of middle aged sportsball fans still trying to cope about a player wanting to go elsewhere for a better chance at a Super bowl. Sad stuff.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
No he won't.

Marshawn 'The Beast' Lynch was also a "Key Piece", as well as that all world Defense featuring the 'LOB'.
There were NUMEROUS "Key Pieces", it wasn't just Wilson there all by his lonesome who sealed that SB Trophy.
AND, had the LOB not been injured while going against the Patriots the following SB, they'd very likely hold Brady from making that 10-point comeback, & maybe would have secured that 2nd Lombardi.

TwilightError

Reaction score
Hawks for life, my a**,
Go Hawks, my a*",
A total fake.
Second that. What a Teflon boy. Russ always says what he thinks people expect him to say. It’s impossible to say what he is really like but what can be read in between the lines is not pretty. Great player though.

Wagner is all class. I’ll buy his Seahawks jersey even though he’s gone. A true great does not need to be a weasel behind the scenes.

toffee

Reaction score
Bunch of middle aged sportsball fans still trying to cope about a player wanting to go elsewhere for a better chance at a Super bowl. Sad stuff.
I advocated to trade Wilson last off season, I don't need to cope about a player wanting to leave. He has every right to do so and does NOT need justifications.

This thread is about Russ telling 12s that he wants to stay a Hawk for his entire playing career AFTER he told the organization that he will not sign any contract extension, and he was actively recruiting Bobby to Bronco.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Do you mean as opposed to the year before where they were looking to trade him, or several years earlier when it got leaked they were looking to trade him? Wilson more than likely after being told they were looking to trade him several times said fine I dont want to but if you're going to try to trade me, here is where I will go. To me this was a tit for tat between PC and Wilson.
Pete & John did their due diligence when they scouted & then Drafted Russ...His durability wasn't an issue in the early years there, Pete & John would be absolute fools to NOT try and find someone to take Wilsons' place in the line-up if he'd gotten hurt, now would they not?
Some of y'all act like Pete & John HATED RW and that's just over the top silly to me.
Pete & John ARE ON THE HOOK for keeping ALL their options open for the betterment of the team, and THAT is how you get & stay on top...Sounds like Wilson didn't really want to "Always Compete"
To tither around with every other aspect of the team, but 'Hands-Off' at the Quarterback position? I don't think that that's how it's done in the NFL.
Another Example: Aaron Rodgers got p*ssed & worked up when the Packers Drafted Love....It didn't mean that they were disrespecting Aaron, it's just how the NFL rolls...Does anyone actually believe that they were disrespecting Favre when they brought in Rodgers? LOL Maybe that's why he went to play for the Vikings??