Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2tpm0b6x said:
Hey, hey, meow...we almost always come out on top when trading with the Eagles. Watch that 5th rounde4 turn into a nice pass rusher as a rook and starter down the road.

I mean, the 5th round pick that the Eagles traded today for Bennett was traded from Seattle to Philly in the Matt Tobin deal so I think we can say who won that one (Tobin).

Eagles basically got Michael Bennett and a 7th for Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
True.

We still are waiting on that that annual bad FA signing for high dollars that happens every year for a player you would trade at the end of the year for a half eaten sandwich - just to get rid of him.

I am on pins and needles as to who our next Cary Williams, Lacey or Joekel is going to be. I have no idea who it is, but it is coming.

Meanwhile we lost a productive pass rusher that made our other guys productive because they had to concentrate on him.

No it isn't the worst. But it isn't good news.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I just wonder who the Eagles have on their roster to fill in for half the plays that Bennett should not be on the field for. If they play Green Bay, they will need a speed cart to get Bennet off the field sooner as AR will take it to him a lot.

MrThortan

Reaction score
I like Bennett and what he has done on the field. Not a big fan of a lot of trades the Seahawks have done, and not sure this was a good one. If the value in trade wasn't there for Bennett, makes me curious why not just get another year out of him. Seems like they just wanted to part ways with him and were willing take whatever deal they could get.

Marcus Johnson. Not a whole lot of info on the guy but sure why not. Sweeten the deal a little I guess. Worse case scenario he is camp fodder, best case he joins the team with our other speedy receivers and gives us some depth.

Hell with it! Whatever Seahawks! Burn this sucker down and do what you got to do. Whatever happens, I am excited about next year with all the new pieces.

JimmyG

Reaction score
RCATES":q6c9yf5p said:
JimmyG":q6c9yf5p said:
RCATES":q6c9yf5p said:
Hawks always get worked on trades. JS is not the genius we claim he is. This is the beginning of the end fella's. I got hammered on here for saying it a month ago. Come eat your crow.
In fairness, veteran players almost never bring in good trade hauls. Bennett is still a good player, but he was 33 and had off the field concerns. Remember when Anquan Boldin and a ridiculous playoffs en route to a SB, and then was traded for a 6th round pick the ensuing a couple months later?

Don't sugar coat it. MB is still 32 and Hawks got worked yet again. It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

"Eagles traded a 7 and Matt Tobin to Seattle for a 5. Seattle than traded a 7 and Michael Bennett for a 5 and Marcus Johnson.

The Eagles basically traded Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson for Michael Bennett, lol."
I'm not sugarcoating anything. Anyone who thinks that we were getting anything of value for Bennett was delusional. Bennett didn't have a lot of value to begin with, and his value was hurt even more because of his off the field antics.

I think JS has had some terrible trades but this one I don't think fits that category. I am far from a JS apologist.

xkj1985x

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3p4f31id said:
I just wonder who the Eagles have on their roster to fill in for half the plays that Bennett should not be on the field for. If they play Green Bay, they will need a speed cart to get Bennet off the field sooner as AR will take it to him a lot.

Eagles have Fletcher Cox and Timmy Jernigan as well as Elijah Qualls (UW!) who will see more reps this year. I think Bennett is used as a 3rd downs situational guy.

Eagles will still have Brandon Graham/Derek Barnett/Chris Long on the EDGE.

NJlargent

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2xpbwd10 said:
True.

We still are waiting on that that annual bad FA signing for high dollars that happens every year for a player you would trade at the end of the year for a half eaten sandwich - just to get rid of him.

I am on pins and needles as to who our next Cary Williams, Lacey or Joekel is going to be. I have no idea who it is, but it is coming.

Meanwhile we lost a productive pass rusher that made our other guys productive because they had to concentrate on him.

No it isn't the worst. But it isn't good news.

Stay tuned. They are interested in Brian Cushing.

mistaowen

Reaction score
Certainly will help the Eagles compete for the next year or two, he played well through injuries. Definitely more of a 2019 cap help move since he wasn't doing much against 2018. Maybe this was a chip to help get Sheldon resigned for less this year but boost his income over the next couple seasons when MB's came into play?

Wonder if this means they're happy with Malik's recovery and hope Jordan can step up. Regardless, it's clear they're getting younger on D.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
xkj1985x":21lnaz08 said:
Seahawkfan80":21lnaz08 said:

Eagles have Fletcher Cox and Timmy Jernigan as well as Elijah Qualls (UW!) who will see more reps this year. I think Bennett is used as a 3rd downs situational guy.

Eagles will still have Brandon Graham/Derek Barnett/Chris Long on the EDGE.

Thank you. Have a great day.

toffee

Reaction score
The great Bill Walsh once said: "better to trade an aging star a season or two too early then a season or two too late." Pete and Bill were close.

No doubt Bennett may still have some game in him, but he will be on that downhill slope. We didn't get much, but we did get a draft pick and cap relief.

Good job Pete!

vin.couve12

Reaction score
xkj1985x":ty65ky8z said:
vin.couve12":ty65ky8z said:
Hey, hey, meow...we almost always come out on top when trading with the Eagles. Watch that 5th rounde4 turn into a nice pass rusher as a rook and starter down the road.

I mean, the 5th round pick that the Eagles traded today for Bennett was traded from Seattle to Philly in the Matt Tobin deal so I think we can say who won that one (Tobin).

Eagles basically got Michael Bennett and a 7th for Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson.
Cable was involved with that one and that's the only time Cable has been involved in a Hawks Eagles trade. Cable loooved Tobin...moron.

But yeah I forgot about that one.

mrt144

Reaction score
xStickybudz":1bgppn51 said:
mrt144":1bgppn51 said:
xStickybudz":1bgppn51 said:
:irishdrinkers:
hawksincebirth":1bgppn51 said:
FIRE JOHN SCHNEIDER HE IS A IDIOT

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm..... trading a aging asset that is battling injury is good GMing. I dunno if you watched Bennett last year but that man looks done

He had an off year with a foot injury and was still better than average. The foot injury casts doubt on forward performance but he hardly looked 'done' and i defy you to provide an analysis where he is anything but average at worst.

K? and John Schneider should be fired for trading a aging asset that is battling injury? Regardless if he was average or not you can’t keep everyone and as much as I loved Michael he is on the wrong side of 30 and eventually you need to cut ties to pay younger players

I wasn't standing up for the fire portion just the diminishment of Bennet's value. His salary and age and foot are enough reasons to justify his trade without revisionist history on his 2017 season.

12forlife

Reaction score
xStickybudz":1vl4eb37 said:
:irishdrinkers:
hawksincebirth":1vl4eb37 said:
FIRE JOHN SCHNEIDER HE IS A IDIOT

I can’t tell if this is sarcasm..... trading a aging asset that is battling injury is good GMing. I dunno if you watched Bennett last year but that man looks done

Amen!!! This team is need of what made us great in the 1st place, young hungry talent w/ chips on their shoulders! We were not set up to make a SB run next year anyhow. So get our new guys in asap so they can learn our system, and get adjusted to the NFL game.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1c9ttg2a said:
Everyone wanted to be the Patriots. They forgot that the Patriots don't get first rounders for everyone they offload.

The Patriots only won two Super Bowls in the last 13 seasons with the greatest coach and QB of all time.

RCATES

Reaction score
JimmyG":2bmqhrby said:
RCATES":2bmqhrby said:
JimmyG":2bmqhrby said:
RCATES":2bmqhrby said:
Hawks always get worked on trades. JS is not the genius we claim he is. This is the beginning of the end fella's. I got hammered on here for saying it a month ago. Come eat your crow.
In fairness, veteran players almost never bring in good trade hauls. Bennett is still a good player, but he was 33 and had off the field concerns. Remember when Anquan Boldin and a ridiculous playoffs en route to a SB, and then was traded for a 6th round pick the ensuing a couple months later?

Don't sugar coat it. MB is still 32 and Hawks got worked yet again. It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

"Eagles traded a 7 and Matt Tobin to Seattle for a 5. Seattle than traded a 7 and Michael Bennett for a 5 and Marcus Johnson.

The Eagles basically traded Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson for Michael Bennett, lol."
I'm not sugarcoating anything. Anyone who thinks that we were getting anything of value for Bennett was delusional. Bennett didn't have a lot of value to begin with, and his value was hurt even more because of his off the field antics.

I think JS has had some terrible trades but this one I don't think fits that category. I am far from a JS apologist.

I disagree. We have to pay MB 5 million of his 7 this year. Basically keeping him on the roster for just this year would have cost us a additional 2mil. 8.5sacks and the Pro Bowl when he played half the year with a bad toe. A injury many said would sideline most players. Hawks D-Line take a huge hit to save 2mil. Meanwhile Philly unloads a 5th and a practice squad WR for a 2mil dollar pro bowler. This front office has been downright terrible the last few years.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.

kidhawk

Reaction score
RCATES":1vuy4eb2 said:
JimmyG":1vuy4eb2 said:
RCATES":1vuy4eb2 said:
JimmyG":1vuy4eb2 said:

I disagree. We have to pay MB 5 million of his 7 this year. Basically keeping him on the roster for just this year would have cost us a additional 2mil. 8.5sacks and the Pro Bowl when he played half the year with a bad toe. A injury many said would sideline most players. Hawks D-Line take a huge hit to save 2mil. Meanwhile Philly unloads a 5th and a practice squad WR for a 2mil dollar pro bowler. This front office has been downright terrible the last few years.

I think you're misconstruing how the cap and the salary works. Yes, we still have to eat his signing bonus, but if we keep him, we pay his full salary and still (over time) eat the signing bonus, so this frees up future cap space as well as current.

I still think Bennett was worth keeping, but perhaps his foot is more of an issue than we know. One thing I do believe is we will have a good DL with our without him, so it was a position of strength and depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts