Bennett + 7th traded to Eagles for 5th, WR Marcus Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobohawk

Reaction score
So the Hawks got a 5th and 2mil in cap space, basically. How long to translate that into the lost production?

DJrmb

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":4nqhvgcz said:
Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.
I was just coming to post this exactly. This was pretty much right what they should have gotten back for Bennett with Quinn going for a 4th. I was actually expecting a 6th. Good trade overall on a guy they were ready to move on from as evident by Bennett's own words at the end of the year. He already knew he was gone, and so did other teams. Good value.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Exactly why I'm not even sort of surprised he was traded. The guy pretty much already told us it was going to happen.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

The bad news is he had to give up a 7th round pick and Michael Bennett to get it back.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":vuricvil said:
The good news is Schneider got his 5th round pick back from the Matt Tobin trade!

The bad news is he had to give up a 7th round pick and Michael Bennett to get it back.
And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DJrmb":1nobjyx1 said:
hawknation2018":1nobjyx1 said:

And a possible replacement for Paul Richardson in Marcus Johnson who is both bigger (6'1") and faster (4.37 40 time) than PRich...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marcus Johnson was a mediocre college player. But I want some of what you're smoking.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
I'll miss the production, but not the drama. If it means the difference between keeping Sheldon Richardson and not, then I am happy with this call. If we lose Richardson as well, :cussing:

jammerhawk

Reaction score
All in all I don't really like this trade but at present I don't know the rest of the plan.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
kidhawk":3o0lxi5o said:
RCATES":3o0lxi5o said:
JimmyG":3o0lxi5o said:
RCATES":3o0lxi5o said:
Don't sugar coat it. MB is still 32 and Hawks got worked yet again. It's outright cringeworthy how bad they have been in trades.

"Eagles traded a 7 and Matt Tobin to Seattle for a 5. Seattle than traded a 7 and Michael Bennett for a 5 and Marcus Johnson.

The Eagles basically traded Matt Tobin and Marcus Johnson for Michael Bennett, lol."
I'm not sugarcoating anything. Anyone who thinks that we were getting anything of value for Bennett was delusional. Bennett didn't have a lot of value to begin with, and his value was hurt even more because of his off the field antics.

I think JS has had some terrible trades but this one I don't think fits that category. I am far from a JS apologist.

I disagree. We have to pay MB 5 million of his 7 this year. Basically keeping him on the roster for just this year would have cost us a additional 2mil. 8.5sacks and the Pro Bowl when he played half the year with a bad toe. A injury many said would sideline most players. Hawks D-Line take a huge hit to save 2mil. Meanwhile Philly unloads a 5th and a practice squad WR for a 2mil dollar pro bowler. This front office has been downright terrible the last few years.

I think you're misconstruing how the cap and the salary works. Yes, we still have to eat his signing bonus, but if we keep him, we pay his full salary and still (over time) eat the signing bonus, so this frees up future cap space as well as current.

I still think Bennett was worth keeping, but perhaps his foot is more of an issue than we know. One thing I do believe is we will have a good DL with our without him, so it was a position of strength and depth.

I hope not, most trades have health clauses, and if that's the case it would be useless to propose a trade that will get killed when he doesn't pass the physical.

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1x52elrv said:
DJrmb":1x52elrv said:
hawknation2018":1x52elrv said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Marcus Johnson was a mediocre college player. But I want some of what you're smoking.
HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...

kidhawk

Reaction score
bbsplitter":33yhhbk6 said:
I hope not, most trades have health clauses, and if that's the case it would be useless to propose a trade that will get killed when he doesn't pass the physical.

He was able to play on it, so I don't think that it will be an issue, but it definitely (IMO) was a big reason for his lowered production last season and if he continues to have the pain, he may be able to play through it but wouldn't necessarily be the same player. Of course even at the lesser status, he still has very good production, so I wouldn't reject the trade on that basis if I were the Eagles.

Rflagg

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2kez94o2 said:
Rams only got a 4th for Robert Quinn, a much younger and better player. So, getting a 5th for Bennett doesn't seem like a surprise at all.
Yeah, after that happened I can not agree with people who think we got bad value for Bennett.

My first thought when hearing they were looking to trade him was I wonder how much of this had to due with the offside issues, I would say it is mostly an age thing, but wouldn't be shocked to learn the flags are a part of this.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
DJrmb":1xeaw8dq said:
hawknation2018":1xeaw8dq said:
DJrmb":1xeaw8dq said:
hawknation2018":1xeaw8dq said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

Because there's never been a player that had a better NFL career than College... Right?

There's many factors that could play into a players production at any given level. Fact is though that he's more athletic than the guy they need to replace. He certainly has a chance to stick. Plus it's not like PRich is some super star...

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

If he "sticks," it's because we have nothing better behind Baldwin and Lockett.

This is the equivalent of the Seahawks attaching Cyril Grayson to a trade.

sutz

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1uclpal8 said:
DJrmb":1uclpal8 said:
hawknation2018":1uclpal8 said:
DJrmb":1uclpal8 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

Five catches in his career (on eight total targets with a lost fumble). Zero special teams tackles. Undrafted. Injured for a few games as a senior at Texas. Even when healthy, he could not even start in college for a Texas team that was thin at receiver. Injured again in training camp as an undrafted rookie. Had played in 10 total games.

This is the equivalent of the Seahawks attaching Cyril Grayson to a trade.
Doug Baldwin was an UDFA. ;)

DJrmb

Reaction score
hawknation2018":3cd7n8dv said:
DJrmb":3cd7n8dv said:
hawknation2018":3cd7n8dv said:
DJrmb":3cd7n8dv said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHAHAHA

He "Stuck" in Philly on a team with one of the deeper WR corps in the league. They were going to have to spend a later round pick to bring in someone and now they don't have to. If they like his upside more than a flier in the 2018 NFL draft I trust their judgment.

gcolby

Reaction score
5th and a bag of gear. Pretty soft market for MB. The market is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.