Anthony McCoy ruptured Achilles

sc85sis

Reaction score
Dropped Passes - 2012 NFL Season
"This statistic counts the number of times an intended receiver touches the ball but fails to catch it. If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop."

Most drops (percentage): Jermaine Kearse, Leon Washington, Lex Hilliard, James Starks...and so on. After counting 80-something guys I gave up and just scrolled down until I found Anthony's name on the list. He's way down there with the following stats: 18 receptions; 1 drop; 28 targets; 64 targets %; 3.57% drop percentage.

The perception that he has "stone hands" is simply inaccurate.

Source: http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2012/

jammerhawk

Reaction score
There is of course always a lot of hyperbole happening around this place, and any player who develops a rep for dropsies like Tate or McCoy is subjected to an unfair unremitting excoriation by the uninformed.

To me the only knock on McCoy is that he's not very fast after the catch. I hope he get's better soon and if the team doesn't IR him .

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have begged to replace McCoy more than anyone, but lets not pretend we have his replacement just waiting to take over. We have no idea if Willson can block.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
sc85sis":1wcdvsbb said:
"This statistic counts the number of times an intended receiver touches the ball but fails to catch it. If the ball is thrown but the receiver never gets his hands on it, it is not recorded as a drop."

Most drops (percentage): Jermaine Kearse, Leon Washington, Lex Hilliard, James Starks...and so on. After counting 80-something guys I gave up and just scrolled down until I found Anthony's name on the list. He's way down there with the following stats: 18 receptions; 1 drop; 28 targets; 64 targets %; 3.57% drop percentage.

So far, I've not seen ANY retractions from those who have labeled McCoy as "Stone Hands", even though they don't bother to look up ANY stats.
They are quick to disparage others for defending a player because THEY have judged someone as inferior, and using phrases like "And How Did That Work Out For You" as a verbal slap. :141847_bnono:
Hell, maybe they'd be happy to have Jeremy Stevens back :shock:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
All we can do is hope somebody like Wilson can step up. In his interviews, he sees himself as a "protypical TE," so that makes me think he won't shy away from blocking duties. I'd love to see Fells used in the red zone because his size would give defenders fits regardless of how raw he is.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
If Willson lacks something in blocking, just run more formations with a FB and a single TE. We have depth there now assuming Ware can hack it. And then use Willson as primarily a receiving theat.

Doesn't seem like a huge concern, though I would've loved to have McCoy on the depth chart just in case.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2qefhmw2 said:
I have begged to replace McCoy more than anyone, but lets not pretend we have his replacement just waiting to take over. We have no idea if Willson can block.

His college coach said that is primarily what he was used for last season.

Jville

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":389yvj3m said:
All we can do is hope somebody like Wilson can step up. In his interviews, he sees himself as a "protypical TE," so that makes me think he won't shy away from blocking duties. I'd love to see Fells used in the red zone because his size would give defenders fits regardless of how raw he is.

I would add that Willson has offered up, in one of those interviews, that he does need to work on his blocking. I think they selected him for his run and catch skills. The blocking, beyond chip blocking might evolve as the season progresses. Interesting that tryout addition Victor Marshall was also added for his run and catch ability. Darren Fells at 281 pounds is probably a reach to come in as an inline blocker right away. But I'm sure Fells in motivated.

The are 3 months, one training camp, a few more OTAs, and four preseason games away from finalizing their roster. Plenty of time to recover from this set back. And ...... there is the Tom Cable option of going with an atheletic lineman to provide services as a blocking TE.

hawk45

Reaction score
DavidSeven":w2iq4vvd said:
If Willson lacks something in blocking, just run more formations with a FB and a single TE. We have depth there now assuming Ware can hack it. And then use Willson as primarily a receiving theat.

Doesn't seem like a huge concern, though I would've loved to have McCoy on the depth chart just in case.

This is where I'm at, even if this limits our 2 TE formations, Miller is good enough, and we have so much versatility with our run/pass/read-zone stuff, that we can afford to experiment with our second TE and still be crazy effective on offense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
T-Sizzle":2by033eu said:
Scottemojo":2by033eu said:

His college coach said that is primarily what he was used for last season.
He also barely played last season. Injury mostly.

Subzero717

Reaction score
scutterhawk":22uaa1m7 said:
sc85sis":22uaa1m7 said:

So far, I've not seen ANY retractions from those who have labeled McCoy as "Stone Hands", even though they don't bother to look up ANY stats.
They are quick to disparage others for defending a player because THEY have judged someone as inferior, and using phrases like "And How Did That Work Out For You" as a verbal slap. :141847_bnono:
Hell, maybe they'd be happy to have Jeremy Stevens back :shock:

I posted an arricle where he dropped 7 of 49 targets a few months ago. Anyone that believes he only dropped one pass simply isn't watchimg the games and relies soley on inaccurately kept stat sheets.

McGruff

Reaction score
vin.couve12":ruwndgiy said:
It's an issue of either not paying attention or people telling themselves that it doesn't matter. He's a solid overall #2 TE. I shouldn't be surprised how some can be so grossly incorrect about McCoy, but I am. McCoy improved a lot and was a consistent contributor last year as a blocker especially, but also gave us some nice big plays in the passing game. As to why some people choose not to acknowledge that I don't know.

I can acknowledge that all of the above is true and still suspect he could have been cut.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I don't think that one drop stat is correct. Off the top of my head I remember one against the rams week 17 and one against the Redskins.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
There is a problem with message boards..."Facts" to some folk are not "Facts" to another and we end up shouting to one another. Again, it always boils down to "Who do you believe?"

High Probability: McCoy will not play during the 2013-14 season.
Moderate Probability: One of the other TE's in camp will step up to make up for those 18 catches.
Moderate Probability: One of those TE's will be as good a blocker as McCoy was.

That's all there is to talk about!! Proclaiming that he had "good hands or bad hands" is a mute point....he is not playing this year! When he returns next year, we can all speculate whether he will return to his previous accomplishments or fight over the "fact" that his replacement is better.

The Radish

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":2ig9e3gg said:
There is a problem with message boards..."Facts" to some folk are not "Facts" to another and we end up shouting to one another. Again, it always boils down to "Who do you believe?"

High Probability: McCoy will not play during the 2013-14 season.
Moderate Probability: One of the other TE's in camp will step up to make up for those 18 catches.
Moderate Probability: One of those TE's will be as good a blocker as McCoy was.

That's all there is to talk about!! Proclaiming that he had "good hands or bad hands" is a mute point....he is not playing this year! When he returns next year, we can all speculate whether he will return to his previous accomplishments or fight over the "fact" that his replacement is better.

Do you know how much we hate it when someone posts something reasonable that required some thought?????

:th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule McCoy out for the season by the way. It's usually a 6 month recovery.. sometimes it can go longer, but 6 months would put him back in late October/early November. He could come back after the bye week, which is like.. Week 12 I believe.

Remember the league changed the IR rule to allow players to come back midseason. I imagine that's the IR McCoy will find himself on.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1f0o4arp said:
I wouldn't rule McCoy out for the season by the way. It's usually a 6 month recovery.. sometimes it can go longer, but 6 months would put him back in late October/early November. He could come back after the bye week, which is like.. Week 12 I believe.

Remember the league changed the IR rule to allow players to come back midseason. I imagine that's the IR McCoy will find himself on.

It has been my observation that a torn and surgically repaired Achilles takes longer to heal than the "usual" MCL tear. My meaning of "repaired" means that the athlete can stretch out, run at full speed and turn quickly without any pain.

kearly

Reaction score
Willson doesn't LOOK like a guy you'd expect to be a decent blocker. He looks like a tall, 220 pound receiver. But then again, in reality Willson actually weighs a respectable 251, meaning his BMI on paper is almost identical to Zach Miller. So I guess we'll find out. We don't need him to be an all world blocker. He won't be blocking defensive lineman in the running game almost ever.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
McCoy is very replaceable. I hate to say that, but it isn't like he is a major cog in the offense. Good blocker and nice decoy to use with defenses thinking he was in to block, but we have options here.

kigenzun

Reaction score
It may be completely obvious, as in, "totally dropping the ball"... but does McCoy falling down in the flat to have the easy first down catch go over his head for a game ending interception against the Rams, officially count as a "drop"?

I'll take my chances with the new combination of Zach Miller and Luke Willson any given Sunday...