All Time - Career Passer Rating

Jacknut16

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1evkksb8 said:
Laloosh":1evkksb8 said:
Where in the OP does it say that passer rating is everything?

It's part of a passive-aggressive argument in the 2nd post that implies anyone who doesn't think Wilson is performing like a franchise QB this season is wrong because passer rating says so.

How can I include the 2nd post when you are talking about the OP? Two reasons: First, I don't see where ANY poster is limited to replying to only the first post of a thread. Second, I don't see anyone claiming the OP is presenting passer rating as everything, with the possible exception of your characterization, which makes it a bit of a strawman. So if we're inviting fallacy to the discourse, then it's a two-way street.

We don't see everything the same on this board which is why we have discussions. If everyone had the same idea there'd be no point discussing it.

However, there are ways to discuss things and ways not to. I don't appreciate passive-aggressive swipes across multiple threads just because I have concerns over Wilson's performance this season-to-date any more than I appreciate strawmen.

Yes, QB rating is a stat. Yes, Wilson ranks high on it. However, it hasn't been recognised as a meaningful stat for quite some time. There have been several attempts to replace it like QBR, which is subjective, and it's easier to plug numbers into a formula even if that formula lacks key metrics like sacks and blown opportunities.

I am not championing QBR by any means, but for contrast I present WIlson's rank this year, which is 18th. By that rating system he is the 18th best QB in the league. His worst areas are sacks and penalties, which oddly enough is what I have been harping on about with him holding the ball too long, getting himself into trouble albeit with an assist from the porous OL, and either taking a sack or getting flagged for grounding.

I freely acknowledge that last game he was heaps better at getting rid of the ball quickly, and it showed in a fantastic performance with great accuracy and offensive success. It seems one way to counter a bad OL is to get rid of the ball quickly, which is something I have been on about all year long.

When I look at the season, as a whole, I see Wilson at or near where QBR sees him, which is about middle-of-the-pack, which is not, by definition, elite and does not justify him being termed a franchise QB except in a league where warm bodies at the QB position are rare enough to elevate the likes of Joe Flacco to franchise status.

Almost exactly my stance on Wilson, although I would have him at about #15 overall

Anthony!

Reaction score
austinslater25":2l856i3h said:
Here's my last post on the topic because its been driven into the ground and away from the OP's intent of the thread. I'm not a Wilson apologist. He needs to play better for sure and hasn't played as well as we know he can this year. Last week was a big step forward and I hope to see more of the same. I just think your stance of Wilson sucks let's get rid of him and roll with Tavaris is beyond stupid and borders on trolling. At least be objective on the topic. You and a couple of the other haters couldn't even admit he played great against the Niners...that should tell you something. Enjoy the rest of your weekend

Great post spot on. I do not think anyone has said he cannot play better, I mean heck Rodgers the best QB is the league is having a rough patch. All this proves, is what anyone with any intelligence knows is even the best QB needs help. Till the past game Wilson has gotten little help, but he has also not done enough to help himself or the team. I just find it funny those few haters try so hard to find something to support them and in the end it end sup being nothing. Example QBR none outside of ESPN uses, it, puts any validity in it, but since it shows Wilson is not top 10 they use it. However most of the stats and facts that our used by the NFL shows he is. In the end they can try any silly stuff they want, but it will not change the fact he is our Franchise QB, he has helped lead us to 2 SB appearances, and 1 win, he holds several records. In other words hater hate but their still wrong.

AVL

Reaction score
Bill Assumpcao":3n6m0d8q said:
Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted. Please note that you cannot ignore moderators or administrators.
http://www.seahawks.net/ucp.php?i=zebra ... OY2YPNVPI8

Go Hawks,
BillA

Great. Now convince them to use it on each other.

Why should so many threads get infected with the same crap? I get tired of sifting through it.

RiverDog

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":wqd026il said:
Anthony!":wqd026il said:
West TX Hawk":wqd026il said:
For some perspective,

here's some folks on the extended list you may not expect:

13 Chad Pennington
14 Matt Schaub
15 (tied) Daunte Culpepper
18 Jeff Garcia
22 Trent Green
24 David Garrard
25 Jay Cutler
26 Donovan McNabb
29 Joe Flacco
33 Mark Brunell
43 Matt Hasselbeck
51 Dave Krieg
65 (tied) Matt Cassell
86 John Kitna

Taking nothing away from Wilson but QB rating isn't everything:
HOF:
19 Otto Graham
36 Roger Staubach
41 Len Dawson
50 Troy Aikman
56 Warren Moon
57 Bart Starr
59 Fran Tarkenton
64 Dan Fouts
65 John Elway
78 Johnny Unitas
89 Bob Griese
138 Terry Bradshaw
163 Joe Namath

"
Taking nothing away from Wilson but QB rating isn't everything:" and yet you just tried to pathetic

My point is that the qb rating is not necessarily the best tool to measure how effective a qb is. Wilson's many 4th qtr comebacks mean a lot more than his qb rating IMO. You find this "pathetic"?

To be fair, if you are going to use 4th quarter comebacks as a metric, you are also going to have to use 4th quarter meltdowns, of which we've had 5 in all 5 of our losses, 6 if you want to count the Lions game. Failing to put away a game in the 4th quarter and losing counts just as much as coming from behind and winning.

SeaChase

Reaction score
RiverDog":3ag6l0oz said:
West TX Hawk":3ag6l0oz said:
Anthony!":3ag6l0oz said:
West TX Hawk":3ag6l0oz said:
For some perspective,

here's some folks on the extended list you may not expect:

13 Chad Pennington
14 Matt Schaub
15 (tied) Daunte Culpepper
18 Jeff Garcia
22 Trent Green
24 David Garrard
25 Jay Cutler
26 Donovan McNabb
29 Joe Flacco
33 Mark Brunell
43 Matt Hasselbeck
51 Dave Krieg
65 (tied) Matt Cassell
86 John Kitna

Taking nothing away from Wilson but QB rating isn't everything:
HOF:
19 Otto Graham
36 Roger Staubach
41 Len Dawson
50 Troy Aikman
56 Warren Moon
57 Bart Starr
59 Fran Tarkenton
64 Dan Fouts
65 John Elway
78 Johnny Unitas
89 Bob Griese
138 Terry Bradshaw
163 Joe Namath

"
Taking nothing away from Wilson but QB rating isn't everything:" and yet you just tried to pathetic

My point is that the qb rating is not necessarily the best tool to measure how effective a qb is. Wilson's many 4th qtr comebacks mean a lot more than his qb rating IMO. You find this "pathetic"?

To be fair, if you are going to use 4th quarter comebacks as a metric, you are also going to have to use 4th quarter meltdowns, of which we've had 5 in all 5 of our losses, 6 if you want to count the Lions game. Failing to put away a game in the 4th quarter and losing counts just as much as coming from behind and winning.

It doesn't work like that in Russell Wilson country. If it's a comeback victory, Wilson is the hero. If it's not, well it's the D, Oline, WR's, OC, and Ciara's fault.

Rob12

Reaction score
hawknation2015":atq3vloq said:
Russell Wilson's QB Rating is now over 100 for his career.

100.2 to be exact. And he is on pace for his best statistical season ever.

Boom.

And for the record, I take back my previous opinion that QB rating is worthless. It's not. It's not the end all be all, but it is a good indicator of performance.

253hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2flx2fli said:
Wilson needs a QB rating of 129.5 or better on Sunday to raise his career QB rating to 100.

Will 146.0 do?

Fade

Reaction score
It reads like a greatest QBs of all time list. Excluding RW from the list, the Top 10 looks like this.

01 Aaron Rodgers (future HoF)
02 Tony Romo
03 Steve Young (HoF)
04 Tom Brady (future HoF)
04 Peyton Manning (future HoF)
06 Philip Rivers (borderline HoF?)
07 Drew Brews (future HoF)
08 Ben Roethlisberger (future HoF)
09 Kurt Warner (HoF)
10 Joe Montana (HoF)

8 of 10 are, or will be in the HoF.

1 is a borderline HoF'er in Philip Rivers.

1 is a long shot at HoF status in Tony Romo, and maybe the only outlier. MAYBE. He still has some years left.

...but ...but teh Passer Rating doezn't matter gyze. lolz

Rob12

Reaction score
Fade":h99bftqi said:
It reads like a greatest QBs of all time list. Excluding RW from the list, the Top 10 looks like this.

02 Tony Romo
03 Steve Young (HoF)
09 Kurt Warner (HoF)
10 Joe Montana (HoF)

1 is a long shot at HoF status in Tony Romo, and maybe the only outlier. MAYBE. He still has some years left.

Rivers feels like a modern day Dan Marino. He'll get in I think. San Diego has never surrounded him with very much talent.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Rob12":1ouovwcd said:
Fade":1ouovwcd said:

02 Tony Romo
03 Steve Young (HoF)
09 Kurt Warner (HoF)
10 Joe Montana (HoF)

Rivers feels like a modern day Dan Marino. He'll get in I think. San Diego has never surrounded him with very much talent.

2006 Phillip Rivers had a very good team, they were 14-2 and had 11 Pro Bowlers on that squad

RiverDog

Reaction score
Fade":31895s9n said:

02 Tony Romo
03 Steve Young (HoF)
09 Kurt Warner (HoF)
10 Joe Montana (HoF)

The top 10 looks like a list of the greatest QB's of the past 2-3 decades, not an all time greatest list. The game didn't start in 1985.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
People still reading way too much into the OP and trying to dilute the accomplishments of a really good QB.

Irritating to read and likely the last Wilson specific thread I start in 2015. Just pointless.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Laloosh":swp8t5p8 said:
People still reading way too much into the OP and trying to dilute the accomplishments of a really good QB.

Irritating to read and likely the last Wilson specific thread I start in 2015. Just pointless.

I'm not trying to dilute anything. Isn't it enough of a complement to say that Russell is amongst the greatest quarterbacks of the past 20-25 years?

It's not pointless. The point is that this passer rating stat is HEAVILY weighted towards players of the past 20 or 25 years and is not a good metric to compare performances prior to then. The game has changed so much during that time to render a lot of stats irrelevant when applied to players over the entire history of the game, and the passer rating stat is one of them.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Tical21":1qgqpcn3 said:
Passer rating basically boils down to TD/Int ratio. It is kind of a cool list. A lot of those guys are really aggressive and can maintain a high passer rating. I think those are where you're talking about the elite of the elite.

It's an interesting question. Would we prefer Russell's rating to be a little bit lower in exchange for being a bit more aggressive in terms of the windows he is willing to throw the ball into?
I would think for these stats to be meaningful, they would include a weighting system. So for example, a completion for a touchdown with the time run out on the clock to win the game should be worth way more than a first down toss for a gain of 2 yds in the first quarter. Baseball stats include this very important minutiae.
I suspect a filter like this would separate the wheat from the chaff and Russel Wilson would be near the top of this 'elite of the elite' list.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Palmegranite":2x8s9r0c said:
It's an interesting question. Would we prefer Russell's rating to be a little bit lower in exchange for being a bit more aggressive in terms of the windows he is willing to throw the ball into?
I would think for these stats to be meaningful, they would include a weighting system. So for example, a completion for a touchdown with the time run out on the clock to win the game should be worth way more than a first down toss for a gain of 2 yds in the first quarter. Baseball stats include this very important minutiae.
I suspect a filter like this would separate the wheat from the chaff and Russel Wilson would be near the top of this 'elite of the elite' list.[/quote]

I would like to see an adjustment made to the passer rating stat to penalize a quarterback for a pick 6 interception, give them two interceptions for the price of one.