Russ's best Comparison as a QB?

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
olyfan63":2ej3uqii said:
sutz":2ej3uqii said:
McGruff":2ej3uqii said:
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.
This. Except for the Staubach thing. I don't get that one, but it was a different, less visible era. I never thought of Rodger the Dodger as being Tark mobile. But definitely Tarkenton.

You young guys just don't know about him, is all. Those old Vikings teams would remind you of our 'Hawks with their strong D, solid running game and ridiculously mobile QB. We really are a throwback team. :)

Throwback team? Good point. Absolutely! Here's even more data...
Did you notice who they showed Carroll embracing pre-game? None other than... BUD GRANT!! Legendary Vikes coach while Tarkenton was there. Then they showed the picture... a young Pete Carroll on Bud Grant's staff, in a Vikings team photo! So Bud Grant may be more of an influence on Pete than we knew.

And yes, Wilson does evoke Staubach in his prime, absolutely. And not just the part about Christianity on his sleeve, either.
In my youth, I was a Redskins fan (long since recovered) so I saw Staubach at his best least twice a season. I can't tell you how many times Staubach made amazing scrambling plays that culminated with a successful throw DEEP downfield. Along with that... kind of an intangible thing... Staubach was an extremely frustrating QB to play against, found a way to break your heart and beat you, with his arm or his legs, and Russell just has that same thing.

Tarkenton, Young, Staubach, in that order... Wilson has elements of all their games.

This also puts Pete in a pretty impressive coaching tree. Bud Grant leaned from a pretty good one. Paul Brown.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2zc0jxok said:
olyfan63":2zc0jxok said:
sutz":2zc0jxok said:
McGruff":2zc0jxok said:
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.
This. Except for the Staubach thing. I don't get that one, but it was a different, less visible era. I never thought of Rodger the Dodger as being Tark mobile. But definitely Tarkenton.

You young guys just don't know about him, is all. Those old Vikings teams would remind you of our 'Hawks with their strong D, solid running game and ridiculously mobile QB. We really are a throwback team. :)

Throwback team? Good point. Absolutely! Here's even more data...
Did you notice who they showed Carroll embracing pre-game? None other than... BUD GRANT!! Legendary Vikes coach while Tarkenton was there. Then they showed the picture... a young Pete Carroll on Bud Grant's staff, in a Vikings team photo! So Bud Grant may be more of an influence on Pete than we knew.

And yes, Wilson does evoke Staubach in his prime, absolutely. And not just the part about Christianity on his sleeve, either.
In my youth, I was a Redskins fan (long since recovered) so I saw Staubach at his best least twice a season. I can't tell you how many times Staubach made amazing scrambling plays that culminated with a successful throw DEEP downfield. Along with that... kind of an intangible thing... Staubach was an extremely frustrating QB to play against, found a way to break your heart and beat you, with his arm or his legs, and Russell just has that same thing.

Tarkenton, Young, Staubach, in that order... Wilson has elements of all their games.

This also puts Pete in a pretty impressive coaching tree. Bud Grant leaned from a pretty good one. Jim Brown.
Assume you meant Paul Brown

olyfan63

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":33xdjp78 said:
endzorn":33xdjp78 said:
Elvis Grbac

Wilson reminds me most of Gibran Hamdan during that glorious 2006 Amsterdam Admirals season.

Dude! Where are Hamdan's *football* highlights on YouTube? I could only find his clothing line videos.
I was looking forward to reliving that glorious 2006 season, and all I got was a lump of coal.
Did you mean like he had a glorious fashion season, new fall jackets or something?

Latest posts