Russ's best Comparison as a QB?

Brithawk

Reaction score
Steve Young?

Just looking at Pro Football Reference, similarities between the 2 are fairly incredible, obviously Russ is greater or will be, all signs pointing to a HOF kind of record.

He's not far behind Rodgers in most stats & Rapistburger could be another comp

Career Passer Rating
1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 105.1
2. Russell Wilson (27) 100.2
3. Tony Romo (35) 97.1
4. Steve Young+ 96.8

Career YPA
1. Otto Graham+ 9.0
2. Sid Luckman+ 8.4
3. Norm Van Brocklin+ 8.2
4. Aaron Rodgers (32) 8.1
Russell Wilson (27) 8.1
6. Steve Young+ 8.0

7. Kurt Warner 7.9
Ben Roethlisberger (33) 7.9

Career YPC
58. Cam Newton (26) 12.6
Others
64. Russell Wilson (27) 12.5
Doug Flutie 12.5
John Elway+ 12.5
Others
73. Ben Roethlisberger (33) 12.4
Michael Vick (35) 12.4
Steve Young+ 12.4
Aaron Rodgers (32) 12.4
Warren Moon+ 12.4
Dan Marino+ 12.4
Others

Career Adjusted YPA

1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 8.66
2. Russell Wilson (27) 8.31
3. Steve Young+ 7.94

4. Tony Romo (35) 7.81
5. Ben Roethlisberger (33)

Career Adjusted Net YPA
1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 7.63
2. Peyton Manning (39) 7.17
3. Russell Wilson (27) 7.04
4. Tony Romo (35) 7.02
5. Tom Brady (38) 7.00
6. Philip Rivers (34) 6.93
7. Steve Young+ 6.85

Career Pass Completion %
4. Peyton Manning (39) 65.3%
Aaron Rodgers (32) 65.3%
Tony Romo (35) 65.3%
7. Philip Rivers (34) 64.9%
8. Russell Wilson (27) 64.5%
9. Steve Young+ 64.3%

Russ TD% = 5.8
Young = 5.6%

Russ Int% = 2.1
Young = 2.6

Russ 4QC & GWD = 10 & 15(4 seasons!!!)
Young = 14 & 17(15 seasons)

Russ Rushing Y/A = 5.9
Young = 5.9

themunn

Reaction score
Nobody compares Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers to anyone.

Soon, it will be the same with Wilson.

McGruff

Reaction score
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.

OP
OP
B

Brithawk

Reaction score
Being a Brit and only just over 30 i've not really seen anything of Tarkenton, will go YT hunting for clips

sutz

Reaction score
McGruff":2er3zz62 said:
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.
This. Except for the Staubach thing. I don't get that one, but it was a different, less visible era. I never thought of Rodger the Dodger as being Tark mobile. But definitely Tarkenton.

You young guys just don't know about him, is all. Those old Vikings teams would remind you of our 'Hawks with their strong D, solid running game and ridiculously mobile QB. We really are a throwback team. :)

mrt144

Reaction score
The entire deke backwards out of trouble is like watching Tark on uppers.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
randomation":nrzy1q7u said:
[youtube]EsK5neFCWKs[/youtube]

Tark for sure

Both are slippery scramblers but completely different athletes.
Russ is thick, shifty and quick. Fran is nimble, elusive but in a Benny Hill kind of way.
Russ has touch but can also uncork a perfect spiral pass deep downfield when an a run. He is a more durable and efficient playmaker than Fran even at such an early stage of his career.
Steve Young is a good comp but I would say Russ is an even better athlete than Young with more pocket awareness.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think Young is the best QB in NFL history. I know others have more stats and championships, but Young to me was the ultimate combination of skill, athleticism and intelligence. There was nothing he couldn't do as a QB. Its hard for me to ever really see Russell on that level, but with the way he is playing right now anything is possible. Young would be the ideal QB for him to emulate. We can only hope.

mrt144

Reaction score
Watching old game footage - holy crap are todays' d linemen relatively nimble compared to that.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Russell's playmaking talent in college and thus far in the NFL is proving he is among the most effective ever passer and scrambler combo at qb. I'd say closest comp may be Aaron Rodgers who has vastly underrated mobility but isnt running downfield as often as Russell.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
RW is a lot like Tarkenton, and a lot like Steve Young, fair comparisons can be made to both. However, most of all he is just Russell Wilson the franchise QB of the Seahawks. The youngest QB with the best record in the NFL for the time he has been in the league. Best of all he's still growing into his job and maturing and improving as a QB. We are lucky to have him.

chris98251

Reaction score
jammerhawk":11g6bj1a said:
RW is a lot like Tarkenton, and a lot like Steve Young, fair comparisons can be made to both. However, most of all he is just Russell Wilson the franchise QB of the Seahawks. The youngest QB with the best record in the NFL for the time he has been in the league. Best of all he's still growing into his job and maturing and improving as a QB. We are lucky to have him.

But he has Fluties Arm.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Are you guys saying, Russell is not longer 5ft10? According to experts, he is NOT supposed to do all these things ... I mean, how does he even see over his linemen? ESPN gurus haven't yet approved of what Russell does, therefore ... it doesn't count. :sarcasm_off:

Fade

Reaction score
Russell Wilson has so many elements to him. That just comparing him to one QB, is a disservice to him, but a right-handed Steve Young is where I usually start when describing him to people. Additionally Russell has that Fran Tarkenton slipperiness. With the poise, and calmness about him that is very Montana esque.