Russ's best Comparison as a QB?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
chris98251":33wkk3zt said:
jammerhawk":33wkk3zt said:
RW is a lot like Tarkenton, and a lot like Steve Young, fair comparisons can be made to both. However, most of all he is just Russell Wilson the franchise QB of the Seahawks. The youngest QB with the best record in the NFL for the time he has been in the league. Best of all he's still growing into his job and maturing and improving as a QB. We are lucky to have him.

But he has Fluties Arm.
Not to mention his height and determination.
Russ has many comps. I'm NOT saying he's as good as any of these guys yet but OP you are right.
Statistically he is Young. He makes plays behind the LOS reminiscent of Young and Tark. Yet stylistically he throws and runs more like Jeff Garcia or Vick. He broke into the league like Big Ben and has Aaron Rodger type efficiency as a playmaker. His self-confidence, determination and humility is uniquely RW.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Fade":1l16jk9x said:
Russell Wilson has so many elements to him. That just comparing him to one QB, is a disservice to him, but a right-handed Steve Young is where I usually start when describing him to people. Additionally Russell has that Fran Tarkenton slipperiness. With the poise, and calmness about him that is very Montana esque.
Good point on Montana.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
themunn":22mc2t4g said:
Nobody compares Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers to anyone.

Soon, it will be the same with Wilson.
Actually Manning has been compared to Unitas. He emulates Unitas. He even went so far as to ask the league if he could wear the Black high tops in honor of Unitas' death in 2002. I holeheartedly believe Johnny U was and always will be the best to play. But that's another story.

The thought that Wilson can't be compared to any one QB is spot on. He gets the Tarkenton comparison only because he will scramble backwards for 30 yards to avoid a sack. I think he handles himself much better than even we as fans know. He confident and competetive. Definitely accurate. I like the Montana bit.

Hell, even his name is made up of multiple sports brands. I'm surprised we haven't found out that his secret middle name is Nike.

chris98251

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":2frukal1 said:
themunn":2frukal1 said:
Nobody compares Tom Brady or Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers to anyone.

Soon, it will be the same with Wilson.
Actually Manning has been compared to Unitas. He emulates Unitas. He even went so far as to ask the league if he could wear the Black high tops in honor of Unitas' death in 2002. I holeheartedly believe Johnny U was and always will be the best to play. But that's another story.

The thought that Wilson can't be compared to any one QB is spot on. He gets the Tarkenton comparison only because he will scramble backwards for 30 yards to avoid a sack. I think he handles himself much better than even we as fans know. He confident and competetive. Definitely accurate. I like the Montana bit.

Hell, even his name is made up of multiple sports brands. I'm surprised we haven't found out that his secret middle name is Nike.

Nah, Nike would sue him for copy write infringement Jseahawks would want to take credit for him being associated with Oregon in some way, Puma or Adidas maybe though :)

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Russ Willstrong":3u85pfvv said:
randomation":3u85pfvv said:
[youtube]EsK5neFCWKs[/youtube]

Tark for sure

Both are slippery scramblers but completely different athletes.
Russ is thick, shifty and quick. Fran is nimble, elusive but in a Benny Hill kind of way.
Russ has touch but can also uncork a perfect spiral pass deep downfield when an a run. He is a more durable and efficient playmaker than Fran even at such an early stage of his career.
Steve Young is a good comp but I would say Russ is an even better athlete than Young with more pocket awareness.

Why did you throw durable into this? Tarkenton missed 5 games in 18 seasons due to injury. During the 60s and the 70s!

Not sure why Russ is a better athlete than Young either. Both were just as elusive as each other and both ran a 4.5 forty.

Fran also had no problems bombing the hell out of the ball on the run

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
sutz":266zvtfx said:
McGruff":266zvtfx said:
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.
This. Except for the Staubach thing. I don't get that one, but it was a different, less visible era. I never thought of Rodger the Dodger as being Tark mobile. But definitely Tarkenton.

You young guys just don't know about him, is all. Those old Vikings teams would remind you of our 'Hawks with their strong D, solid running game and ridiculously mobile QB. We really are a throwback team. :)

Tarkenton also held most of the major passing records till the 90s.

RastaHawk12!

Reaction score
I'm hoping for this kind of comparison...

joe-montana-with-superbowl-rings.jpg

djb28

Reaction score
Elusive like Tarkenton. Poised like Montana. Accuracy like Elway. A strut like Cunningham. And the likeabilty of Flutie.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Wilson is a mixture of alot of great players, so many great qualities and traits from each when it comes to playing football. I would love to hear people compared the new youngbloods to Russell Wilson when all is said and done and Wilson retires after winning many many many...did i say many Superbowls.

Boom84

Reaction score
Brithawk":32ntmnly said:
Steve Young?

Just looking at Pro Football Reference, similarities between the 2 are fairly incredible, obviously Russ is greater or will be, all signs pointing to a HOF kind of record.

He's not far behind Rodgers in most stats & Rapistburger could be another comp

Career Passer Rating
1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 105.1
2. Russell Wilson (27) 100.2
3. Tony Romo (35) 97.1
4. Steve Young+ 96.8

Career YPA
1. Otto Graham+ 9.0
2. Sid Luckman+ 8.4
3. Norm Van Brocklin+ 8.2
4. Aaron Rodgers (32) 8.1
Russell Wilson (27) 8.1
6. Steve Young+ 8.0

7. Kurt Warner 7.9
Ben Roethlisberger (33) 7.9

Career YPC
58. Cam Newton (26) 12.6
Others
64. Russell Wilson (27) 12.5
Doug Flutie 12.5
John Elway+ 12.5
Others
73. Ben Roethlisberger (33) 12.4
Michael Vick (35) 12.4
Steve Young+ 12.4
Aaron Rodgers (32) 12.4
Warren Moon+ 12.4
Dan Marino+ 12.4
Others

Career Adjusted YPA

1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 8.66
2. Russell Wilson (27) 8.31
3. Steve Young+ 7.94

4. Tony Romo (35) 7.81
5. Ben Roethlisberger (33)

Career Adjusted Net YPA
1. Aaron Rodgers (32) 7.63
2. Peyton Manning (39) 7.17
3. Russell Wilson (27) 7.04
4. Tony Romo (35) 7.02
5. Tom Brady (38) 7.00
6. Philip Rivers (34) 6.93
7. Steve Young+ 6.85

Career Pass Completion %
4. Peyton Manning (39) 65.3%
Aaron Rodgers (32) 65.3%
Tony Romo (35) 65.3%
7. Philip Rivers (34) 64.9%
8. Russell Wilson (27) 64.5%
9. Steve Young+ 64.3%

Russ TD% = 5.8
Young = 5.6%

Russ Int% = 2.1
Young = 2.6

Russ 4QC & GWD = 10 & 15(4 seasons!!!)
Young = 14 & 17(15 seasons)

Russ Rushing Y/A = 5.9
Young = 5.9

NAILED IT!!! :th2thumbs:

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
I might be a bit unique on this one, but Russ has always reminded me of Joe Montana. Joe was always pretty shifty and good at working when things broke down. Russ is obviously way more athletic, but there's just something about that gamer intangible. Their body language is also similar, as is their throwing style (even down to the pat of the ball before throwing).

zhawk

Reaction score
mrt144":1bdu2jii said:
Watching old game footage - holy crap are todays' d linemen relatively nimble compared to that.

this. everything looked slomo.

zhawk

Reaction score
theincrediblesok":3juw3cfn said:
Wilson is a mixture of alot of great players, so many great qualities and traits from each when it comes to playing football. I would love to hear people compared the new youngbloods to Russell Wilson when all is said and done and Wilson retires after winning many many many...did i say many Superbowls.

actually I think Wilson is Wilson, he will set standards for years to come. multiple superbowls? from your lips to God's ears.

Mick063

Reaction score
If you have never seen Tarkenton play, then I call complete bull#### on any commentary you might have. That goes for anyone.

I have watched Tarkenton play, as well as Roman Gabriel, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler, and Terry Bradshaw.

Russ is more like Fran Tarkenton than any other quarterback in history. It isn't even close.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1rd1w8wi said:
I think Young is the best QB in NFL history. I know others have more stats and championships, but Young to me was the ultimate combination of skill, athleticism and intelligence. There was nothing he couldn't do as a QB. Its hard for me to ever really see Russell on that level, but with the way he is playing right now anything is possible. Young would be the ideal QB for him to emulate. We can only hope.

Not debating what you said, I just find it interesting to see the numbers side by side.

Per Game (reg season)
9xaCCKt

Per Game (playoffs)
Z7EdyEr

Weadoption

Reaction score
I honestly think he is the most elusive qb of all time right now.
He's gonna get you more rings, just like Joe did.
Need 1 more big draft and the rest is history.

olyfan63

Reaction score
sutz":1lcmr5yn said:
McGruff":1lcmr5yn said:
IMO Steve Young was the best QB to ever play football, so that is a lofty comparison, but probably somewhat accurate. I still have go with Tarkenton. Young was mobile, but more like Rodgers is mobile. Shifts and slides and he'll run with it, but not the agility we see in Wilson. Tark and a young Roger Staubach comes close to mind when I think about Wilson comparisons.
This. Except for the Staubach thing. I don't get that one, but it was a different, less visible era. I never thought of Rodger the Dodger as being Tark mobile. But definitely Tarkenton.

You young guys just don't know about him, is all. Those old Vikings teams would remind you of our 'Hawks with their strong D, solid running game and ridiculously mobile QB. We really are a throwback team. :)

Throwback team? Good point. Absolutely! Here's even more data...
Did you notice who they showed Carroll embracing pre-game? None other than... BUD GRANT!! Legendary Vikes coach while Tarkenton was there. Then they showed the picture... a young Pete Carroll on Bud Grant's staff, in a Vikings team photo! So Bud Grant may be more of an influence on Pete than we knew.

And yes, Wilson does evoke Staubach in his prime, absolutely. And not just the part about Christianity on his sleeve, either.
In my youth, I was a Redskins fan (long since recovered) so I saw Staubach at his best least twice a season. I can't tell you how many times Staubach made amazing scrambling plays that culminated with a successful throw DEEP downfield. Along with that... kind of an intangible thing... Staubach was an extremely frustrating QB to play against, found a way to break your heart and beat you, with his arm or his legs, and Russell just has that same thing.

Tarkenton, Young, Staubach, in that order... Wilson has elements of all their games.

Palmegranite

Reaction score
zhawk":1brliz9m said:
mrt144":1brliz9m said:
Watching old game footage - holy crap are todays' d linemen relatively nimble compared to that.

this. everything looked slomo.
Yeah, watching that clip, I'm going to assume the field was icy or something? I'm not seeing the tippy toes as part of Russel Wilson's M.O. :)

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2do6c6e4 said:
Russ Willstrong":2do6c6e4 said:
randomation":2do6c6e4 said:
[youtube]EsK5neFCWKs[/youtube]

Tark for sure

Both are slippery scramblers but completely different athletes.
Russ is thick, shifty and quick. Fran is nimble, elusive but in a Benny Hill kind of way.
Russ has touch but can also uncork a perfect spiral pass deep downfield when an a run. He is a more durable and efficient playmaker than Fran even at such an early stage of his career.
Steve Young is a good comp but I would say Russ is an even better athlete than Young with more pocket awareness.

Why did you throw durable into this? Tarkenton missed 5 games in 18 seasons due to injury. During the 60s and the 70s!

Not sure why Russ is a better athlete than Young either. Both were just as elusive as each other and both ran a 4.5 forty.

Fran also had no problems bombing the hell out of the ball on the run

Russ has been groomed as a multi sport athlete since childhood and played high level football and baseball along with competitive basketball. Young was fast and Tark elusive but I dont think either were ever year round athletes at high levels or lifting and training to Wilson's standards either. On top of that Wilson played both sides of the LOS in hs and college. Russ absorbed some big hits in the NFL and college that would send those two to the locker room.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mick063":th72uckt said:
If you have never seen Tarkenton play, then I call complete bull#### on any commentary you might have. That goes for anyone.

I have watched Tarkenton play, as well as Roman Gabriel, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler, and Terry Bradshaw.

Russ is more like Fran Tarkenton than any other quarterback in history. It isn't even close.

Yeah, he's pretty much RW white doppelgänger.