9ers trade AJ Jenkins to Chiefs for Jon Baldwin

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2g0esb18 said:
What's the news on the WR the Niners drafted in camp this year? Quinton Patton?

He's been running routes in practice but hasn't been able to catch any because of a broken finger. He was just cleared this weekend to catch passes so we shoulod start hearing more about him soon.

nsport

Reaction score
*Well they still have Boldin. Roll your coverage to Vernon and Boldin will still be facing single coverage. I'll take that matchup on anyone.*

This isn't AZ Cardinals Boldin who ran roughshod over corners. If Boldin is #1, that's not pretty. He's basically a slower, bulkier WR that can now play like a TE. Ultimately has the potential to be a great slot threat, but doubtful he can fill up a route down the sideline or to the post. Having only Boldin as a true threat will allow teams to play 1-deep, and roll coverage wherever they see fit underneath - including the single-high safety rolling toward his pre-snap looks (which I believe will be away from Boldin - who should see a lot of one-on-one due to his lack of explosiveness).

Marvin49

Reaction score
nsport":2xa1jaka said:
*Well they still have Boldin. Roll your coverage to Vernon and Boldin will still be facing single coverage. I'll take that matchup on anyone.*

This isn't AZ Cardinals Boldin who ran roughshod over corners. If Boldin is #1, that's not pretty. He's basically a slower, bulkier WR that can now play like a TE. Ultimately has the potential to be a great slot threat, but doubtful he can fill up a route down the sideline or to the post. Having only Boldin as a true threat will allow teams to play 1-deep, and roll coverage wherever they see fit underneath - including the single-high safety rolling toward his pre-snap looks (which I believe will be away from Boldin - who should see a lot of one-on-one due to his lack of explosiveness).

We'll see. Methinks it'll be much harder than you are making out to defend. :)

BTW...Niners use a tione of 2 TE sets anyway so my bigger question has always been who plays the #2 TE role. In the end, I think the #2 WR will be Kyle Williams who was starting to play well before he got hurt last year.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Boldin has never been good as the number one wr. As to rolling coverage to Davis leaving Boldin one on one, why not double both of them? You don't have to worry too much about whatever other wr the niners roll out there because either Boldin or Davis will be Kaep's first read. Seattle will put 8 in the box and expect run just like they did the last two times they played. The Seahawk secondary will be just fine.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rideaducati":19ob3vaz said:
Boldin has never been good as the number one wr. As to rolling coverage to Davis leaving Boldin one on one, why not double both of them? You don't have to worry too much about whatever other wr the niners roll out there because either Boldin or Davis will be Kaep's first read. Seattle will put 8 in the box and expect run just like they did the last two times they played. The Seahawk secondary will be just fine.

LOL.

There it is....always comes back to the "first read" thing.

MAN I can't wait for the season to start.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Smart teams are willing to take their medicine, admit their mistakes and move on. I think that is what Baalke is doing here, and did with Mays (though I don't remember if he was a Baalke pick). PC and JS, even though they inherited them, got rid of Jackson,Curry,Tapp,Tatupu,J Wilson when the realized they just weren't good enough to play for them even though they were relatively high picks. Heck, they cut 4th rounders EJ Wilson and Kris Durham really quickly, cut Lendale quickly, cut Winslow.

The way to make mistakes worse is to let those mistakes stick around.

nsport

Reaction score
rideaducati":3d3x1kaw said:

I agree with this for Seahawks games - but was thinking more broadly for other Niner games. I'm sure they have a plan... as Marvin says if they can replace their #2 TE effectively and have a great slot presence from Boldin and at least "serviceable" WR play from everyone else, I'm sure they'll be fine. It's the intangible of a punishing running game that makes that offense special, not the WR play. But we saw last year how dynamic they were in the passing game when they actually had some talent there and a decent QB to target them. Much like our own team - pound, pound, pass - works in football AND in life. :)

Marvin49

Reaction score
kobebryant":1cymh6hl said:
Smart teams are willing to take their medicine, admit their mistakes and move on. I think that is what Baalke is doing here, and did with Mays (though I don't remember if he was a Baalke pick). PC and JS, even though they inherited them, got rid of Jackson,Curry,Tapp,Tatupu,J Wilson when the realized they just weren't good enough to play for them even though they were relatively high picks. Heck, they cut 4th rounders EJ Wilson and Kris Durham really quickly, cut Lendale quickly, cut Winslow.

The way to make mistakes worse is to let those mistakes stick around.

This...and yes, Mays was a Baalke pick. The rumor is that Singletary was in love with him in college and pushed for that pick...but that's just the rumor. Baalke still on the hook for that one.

Sing also DIDN'T like Willis coming out...so maybe people should stop listening to Singletary when it comes to player eval. :D

nsport

Reaction score
Marvin49":1fytcnyk said:
BTW...Niners use a tione of 2 TE sets anyway so my bigger question has always been who plays the #2 TE role. In the end, I think the #2 WR will be Kyle Williams who was starting to play well before he got hurt last year.

Walker was a big loss for the Niners... that would be like if we lost Mike Robinson. Just true intangibles up and down the field and really helped that offense. I agree that the 2TE sets, especially if they are in a single back formation, makes it possible for them to do a lot with their play calling. With Boldin in there, it's kind of like a 3rd TE - that would be a real matchup problem for a team with smaller corners or slower LB's.

Marvin49

Reaction score
nsport":326qurd6 said:
Marvin49":326qurd6 said:

Walker was a big loss for the Niners... that would be like if we lost Mike Robinson. Just true intangibles up and down the field and really helped that offense. I agree that the 2TE sets, especially if they are in a single back formation, makes it possible for them to do a lot with their play calling. With Boldin in there, it's kind of like a 3rd TE - that would be a real matchup problem for a team with smaller corners or slower LB's.

Yes it was. I really liked Walker.

I like what I've seen so far from McDonald, but he's a rook so we'll just have to see how much of Walkers role he can take on. McDonald is a great athlete and is much larger, but he isn't anywhere close the vertical threat Walker was and McDonald has ALOT of learning to do to fulfill all of the options Walker afforded them in the pass and run game..

We'll just have to see.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":2lc7wuq6 said:
Smelly McUgly":2lc7wuq6 said:

He's been running routes in practice but hasn't been able to catch any because of a broken finger. He was just cleared this weekend to catch passes so we shoulod start hearing more about him soon.

Thanks. I also haven't seen any SF exhibition games this pre-season. Have they split Vernon Davis wide in any of them? If so, have they put him at split end or flanker?

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
sc85sis":1vae2wm6 said:
Smelly McUgly":1vae2wm6 said:
Wow, the Niners really DID give up on AJ Jenkins that quickly.

I still subscribe to the three-year rule for WRs. Golden Tate looked about as lost as AJ Jenkins at one point, after all (though Tate did start to get it together by the point that AJ Jenkins is at now, to be fair).
Tate is kind of lucky though. Pete was really patient with him, more so than other teams might have been.

True, Pete had the patience. But Tate was also the 2009 Biletnikoff Award winner as the best in college football and he still lasted to pick #60. This indicates that most of the NFL saw Tate as not ready to contribute immediately. The Hawks were not a ready-made team in 2010. They knew it was the beginning of a 4-year plan and they saw Golden as an elite talent who needed good coaching. In addition to the patience, the coaches and Schneider had the confidence to commit to Golden and their plan.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":lgwl3xjv said:
Marvin49":lgwl3xjv said:
Smelly McUgly":lgwl3xjv said:

Thanks. I also haven't seen any SF exhibition games this pre-season. Have they split Vernon Davis wide in any of them? If so, have they put him at split end or flanker?

No. Much ado about nothing. He's not playing WR. That's just the media trying to make a story out of nothing.

Do they move him around the formation? Sure...but they've always done that. Vernon is a great athlete and a very fast straight line runner, but he's never been a great route runner. Moving him to WR would just limit what he does best.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I remember Baldwin, I wanted him... Now I want to crush him :)

I dunno what was the reasoning to take AJ Jenkins in the 1st round in 2012? I don't remember him having any kind of hype for that draft.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":1w2qipbo said:
I remember Baldwin, I wanted him... Now I want to crush him :)

I dunno what was the reasoning to take AJ Jenkins in the 1st round in 2012? I don't remember him having any kind of hype for that draft.

Niners were looking for speed at WR. Jenkins has that, but he was so frail he just could never get off the line. CB Sean Smith just ate him for lunch at the line.

Fanatics

Reaction score
So the niners have a bunch of FA's in 2014 and Baldwin can be cut next season without any guaranteed money, Jenkins had guarantees. This could be the reason for the trade.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Fanatics":1b4yqir1 said:
So the niners have a bunch of FA's in 2014 and Baldwin can be cut next season without any guaranteed money, Jenkins had guarantees. This could be the reason for the trade.

and Jon Baldwin is a much better player and an actual "prospect"

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It is a lateral move for both teams and didn't hurt either team to roll the dice on the chance they work out for their new teams.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Marvin49":207t0a3a said:
rideaducati":207t0a3a said:

LOL.

There it is....always comes back to the "first read" thing.

MAN I can't wait for the season to start.

Go watch just the playoff games. Kaep has 85 or so pass plays. He makes it to his second read AT MOST 11 times. Of the 11, all of them have two receivers in the same sight line, one deep one shallow. He makes it from one side of the field to the other side a total of ZERO times. Try all you want to convince me otherwise and you won't be able to find ANY proof.

I am also looking forward to this season.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin, I'd like it if you could point out the time and quarter on the clock and in which games it happened, in reference to Ducati's statement, there. I haven't charted or watched Kaepernick's playoff games closely. (Didn't even watch all of them.)