2019 offense

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
How do ya all think the offense might look different this year? Pete obviously wants to be a run first power team. With the RB stable being a strength of the team in terms of depth, I have no doubt the running game will continue as one of the leagues best. I find it slightly interesting that no FB is on the 53 or even practice squad. The way Pete and John tinker, I fully expect to see a number of changes to both the ps and 53 in the next few weeks. An addition of a FB or not may be determined by the success or lack there of on the field. We will probably see some short yardage plays with a te at FB.

One thing that seems to be a certainty is more passes out of the backfield. This will also be a reflection of a very young and inexperienced receiving corps. Carson will no doubt be the power back with Penny getting the opportunity as the change of pace pass catcher. It will be interesting to see how the touches and opportunities will be split between Penny and Procise as long as he stays healthy. Who will emerge as the two minute Davis role? Will we see more passes distributed to the TEs and RBs than WRs?

If you look at the preseason, we might see more RO than the last couple of years. Or was that a decoy going into the regular season to give coordinators more to work on. I’m excited to see what Schotty can do in his second season with a greater understanding of Russell’s strengths. It was fairly evident early on last year that he just wasn’t sure how to use him. And can we take anything from RW calling plays in the last preseason game? Are they gonna go a little old school at times and let him call his own plays?

I’m so ready for next Sunday to get here. “Are you ready for some football?”

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
We all want to see the Hawks get off to a quick Offensive start. Last year, they were pathetic those first two games.

chris98251

Reaction score
I see Prosise lining up in the back field and splitting out a lot on third down, I see the RB's getting more catches, more a true Walsh type WCO with a lean on the run side. We will still do down field throws as a defense tries to cheat and stop the run, but the second half of games is going to be hard for a defense to defend us as we have the run, the underneath quicker passes as well as Lockett, Metcalf, Turner that can go deep.

Think of the 49ers with Roger Craig or Ricky Watters and then the backs supporting him.

Both backs ran and could catch, we don't have a Rathman to block but our scheme is different up front but the mentality being control of the ball and clock.

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":1aloared said:
We all want to see the Hawks get off to a quick Offensive start. Last year, they were pathetic those first two games.

No argument there. Was it Schotty not knowing what he had? Was it Pete not playing to strength? Was it lack of planning? Has whatever it was been remedied? Indications are that the oline is better and more cohesive that at the beginning of 2018. Other than inexperience at the WR position, the offense appears to be deeper and more talented.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bigpumpkin":6atte4xm said:

I kind of prefer slow starts that result in close losses where we basically screw ourselves.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1q5fuers said:
Bigpumpkin":1q5fuers said:

I kind of prefer slow starts that result in close losses where we basically screw ourselves.

:shock: Bevell, is that you?

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Schotty loves going vertical, but given what he said about the RB's getting more involved in the passing game, they'll probably throw more screen passes. I just hope I won't lose as much hair as I did when Bevell called screens.

The Breh

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":3fbdnrzs said:
Bigpumpkin":3fbdnrzs said:

No argument there. Was it Schotty not knowing what he had? Was it Pete not playing to strength? Was it lack of planning? Has whatever it was been remedied? Indications are that the oline is better and more cohesive that at the beginning of 2018.
Fluker and Sweezy didn't play until week 3. Then we took off. Once we got those 2 maulers in there it was night and day.

McGruff

Reaction score
We also pulled our head out and remember we were a power running team.

Pete admitted it. We weren't playing to our identity.

Schotty was too busy playing with his first ever quarterback.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1qsuhmtu said:
chris98251":1qsuhmtu said:
a true Walsh type WCO with a lean on the run side.
We don't run a WCO any more.

Like, since 8 years ago.

Technically Bevell was a WCO guy, but Pete took tha away from him.

Plus Russ would struggle in the WCO.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1vw32p8u said:
chris98251":1vw32p8u said:
a true Walsh type WCO with a lean on the run side.
We don't run a WCO any more.

The whole post in context.

Think of the 49ers with Roger Craig or Ricky Watters and then the backs supporting him.

Both backs ran and could catch, we don't have a Rathman to block but our scheme is different up front but the mentality being control of the ball and clock.

Remember Norton and Pete were there then also and Pete likes to keep things changing, we didn't have the whole offense in place last year as well. A version of sorts, not a replica clone rubber stamp duplicate.

RiverDog

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":347s8gqf said:
One thing that seems to be a certainty is more passes out of the backfield. This will also be a reflection of a very young and inexperienced receiving corps. Carson will no doubt be the power back with Penny getting the opportunity as the change of pace pass catcher. It will be interesting to see how the touches and opportunities will be split between Penny and Procise as long as he stays healthy. Who will emerge as the two minute Davis role? Will we see more passes distributed to the TEs and RBs than WRs?

I don't think that's a certainty at all, at least as it applies to Penny. If Prosise is healthy, IMO he'll become the 3rd down back as he's both a better receiver and a better pass blocker. IMO Penny will be used as a change-of-pace back to spell Carson.

oldhawkfan":347s8gqf said:
If you look at the preseason, we might see more RO than the last couple of years. Or was that a decoy going into the regular season to give coordinators more to work on. I’m excited to see what Schotty can do in his second season with a greater understanding of Russell’s strengths. It was fairly evident early on last year that he just wasn’t sure how to use him. And can we take anything from RW calling plays in the last preseason game? Are they gonna go a little old school at times and let him call his own plays?

Like you, I noticed those read options with Russell keeping it during the preseason. I wouldn't necessarily interpret that as a play that will be featured more than it was last season, but Russ sure looked good running it. As you said, it could be just something to give defenses to think about. I don't think you'll see us running it more than a couple times a game.

With the different personnel groupings being used in various sets, you're not going to see Russell or any other NFL QB calling a lot of his own plays. He'll be given a lot of flexibility to change plays at the LOS and there might be a series or two of hurry up where he calls the plays, but it's simply too complicated for a QB in today's game to call his own plays like they did 40 years or so ago.

chris98251

Reaction score
RiverDog":1q1n497a said:
oldhawkfan":1q1n497a said:

I don't think that's a certainty at all, at least as it applies to Penny. If Prosise is healthy, IMO he'll become the 3rd down back as he's both a better receiver and a better pass blocker. IMO Penny will be used as a change-of-pace back to spell Carson.

oldhawkfan":1q1n497a said:

Like you, I noticed those read options with Russell keeping it during the preseason. I wouldn't necessarily interpret that as a play that will be featured more than it was last season, but Russ sure looked good running it. As you said, it could be just something to give defenses to think about. I don't think you'll see us running it more than a couple times a game.

With the different personnel groupings being used in various sets, you're not going to see Russell or any other NFL QB calling a lot of his own plays. He'll be given a lot of flexibility to change plays at the LOS and there might be a series or two of hurry up where he calls the plays, but it's simply too complicated for a QB in today's game to call his own plays like they did 40 years or so ago.

Russ isn't human but a Robot with a CPU and 20 Terabytes of Random Access Memory, should be no problem.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
chris98251":y4tey6hh said:
Russ isn't human but a Robot with a CPU and 20 Terabytes of Ram, should be no problem.

Russ is a Seahawk through & through, he's got no Ram in him whatsoever! I kindly ask that you rephrase your statement. ;)

OP
OP
oldhawkfan

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":1v2cjin1 said:
chris98251":1v2cjin1 said:
Russ isn't human but a Robot with a CPU and 20 Terabytes of Ram, should be no problem.

Russ is a Seahawk through & through, he's got no Ram in him whatsoever! I kindly ask that you rephrase your statement. ;)

Is that the 49th cardinal rule of this board?

chris98251

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3vhvjolv said:
chris98251":3vhvjolv said:

Jeez ok...………..

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
chris98251":36hjvzu3 said:
12AngryHawks":36hjvzu3 said:
chris98251":36hjvzu3 said:

Jeez ok...………..

You sir, deserve an ice cold beer!

Ice cold beer best ever rotated 90

Dilly Dilly!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Grind the ball.. keep the offense on the field..
That is our best defense.