2013 Carroll team v.s 2005 Holmgren team

volsunghawk

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2egmn4u1 said:
I think some of you people are either too young or have lost perspective. I ask all of you that think the 13 team would stomp the 05 team this:

So you're saying the 13 Niners would stomp the 05 Hawks? Cuz we barely got by at home by the skin of our teeth against that Niner team last year. I, for one, think the 05 Hawks would blow that Niner team out of the water.

Yes, the 2013 Niners would have beaten the 2005 Hawks. Absolutely. Can you recall a single instance of Holmgren's Hawks teams handling a strong 3-4 defense well at all? The kind of D that SF plays was kryptonite to the Seahawks offense in 2005.

Jac

Reaction score
If we're looking at matchups (strengths vs. weaknesses), I think it's important to look at how each team approached the SB. The 2013 team played loose and out its mind. The 2005 didn't nearly bring that intensity. In comparison, I think the 2013 team devastates the Steelers and overcomes all those penalties.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3ftkyflc said:
I think some of you people are either too young or have lost perspective. I ask all of you that think the 13 team would stomp the 05 team this:

Too young to remember 2005? Average age on this forum would have to be 12.

sutz

Reaction score
I think people are seriously undervalueing that '05 team. I do think the '13 team would win, but I see a game more like *XL than XLVIII. The one thing the current team has is a knack for finding ways to win, where the '05 team was kind of locked into Holmie's system and had difficutly overcoming things like official malfeasance.

One other consideration was that the actual *XL team was rather depleted, especially in the secondary, from its midseason form. The mid-season '05 Hawks could have made it even closer, but '13 would still win 8 of 10 games.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":dljrczlu said:
SalishHawkFan":dljrczlu said:

So you're saying the 13 Niners would stomp the 05 Hawks? Cuz we barely got by at home by the skin of our teeth against that Niner team last year. I, for one, think the 05 Hawks would blow that Niner team out of the water.
They would have won but not stomped them. Why? Bigger, stronger, faster. And nobody ever imagined Keapernick in 2005. Nobody.
Michael Vick

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":13ktuaja said:
I just want to point out that the 2013 broncos was suppose to be the best offense of all time.
yet we won.. so how could anyone even think they 2005 (Not as good as that Denver team) would win against the 2013 seattle d?

It's worth discussing because the '13 Broncos and '05 Hawks had different strengths in their offenses. 05 ability to run the ball might have opened the passing game just a bit, and the Hawk D was better than the Broncos, I'd say by a wide margin.

But these things probably wouldn't have changed the ultimate outcome; just the score. Either way, Go Hawks! :D

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1inhmiko said:
MizzouHawkGal":1inhmiko said:
SalishHawkFan":1inhmiko said:

They would have won but not stomped them. Why? Bigger, stronger, faster. And nobody ever imagined Keapernick in 2005. Nobody.
Michael Vick
Keapernick is bigger and probably as fast or faster as for game speed (not track speed). And say what you will he probably is a better passer then Vick or at least on the same level.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
The best thing about the 05 team was the O Line, especially the left side. IMO the BEST player on that team was big Walt. As a team, they would have crumbled under the 13 IMO. As fantastic and finesse as that team was, the 13 squad was the 05 stealers x 10.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Defense wins championships, that said the '05 team was an offensive juggernaut, but a finesse team, and the 2013 D would have shellacked and pushed around the '05 O.

Defensively with the late injuries to the D the '05 D was vulnerable at the backend and couldn't blitz. RW would have picked them apart.

Now if we put the '05 Oline with the rest of the 2013 O that team would be special to watch.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
A consideration...The rules have changed a hit in 05 that was legal is 15 and a fine. If the 05 team played with today's rules they would have been lost. The linebackers were weak in coverage but solid against the run.

The 13 team with 05 rules? Don't even go there...

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
SalishHawkFan":1lumwkxb said:

Yes. The '13 Niners would have beaten the '05 Hawks somewhat handily. The Stealers won (albeit with a lot of heavy-handed officiating), and they would have been crushed by either of the top teams in the NFC West '13. A lot of us remember that '05 team quite well. That team had a rare combination of smash-mouth and finesse in the run game, a decent passing attack, and a defense that was middle of the road. The team we fielded in Super Bowl XLVIII had a defense that was far, far superior in every aspect, and an offense that was at least as good if not a lot better. Additionally, and perhaps the most critical part, the '13 team had the ability to laugh in the face of adversity and change the game plan when things weren't working. The '05 team had a hard time with either concept, as good as they were.

Throwdown

Reaction score
If it were both teams, at their best, I still think the 2013 team stomps a mud hole in the 2005 team.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":is7gwt5l said:
scutterhawk":is7gwt5l said:
MizzouHawkGal":is7gwt5l said:
SalishHawkFan":is7gwt5l said:

Michael Vick
Keapernick is bigger and probably as fast or faster as for game speed (not track speed). And say what you will he probably is a better passer then Vick or at least on the same level.
All that may be true, but Michael Vick was one of the first to run that style of Offense, and I'd dare to add, that it was most likely his play, influenced a good many Coaches & Quarterbacks to follow his example = Kaepernick

sutz

Reaction score
Except Vick was never that good. He could handle the running part fine, but he wasn't as accurate as Wilson is. Neither is Kappy, as far as I've seen.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Throwdown":3t87no32 said:
If it were both teams, at their best, I still think the 2013 team stomps a mud hole in the 2005 team.
We'll have to agree, to disagree, as neither you nor I or anyone else can prove otherwise.
I'm still not convinced that Big "Truck Pushing" Walt, Steve "Mean Streak" Hutchinson, Robbie Tobeck, Mack Strong, and Shaun Alexander, wouldn't get their fair share of points, and show way more respectability than the Donko's.
Not saying that 05 would win, but I do believe that they'd give a lot better than the 13 Bronco's did in that game.
Kind of got to agree with Kearly and his Seahawks vs. Saints Monday Night game.

Rainger

Reaction score
I am amazed. I have been reading all the to and froing about this and that, but it looks like no one read my post about the schedule and who the 05 Hawks actually played to amass their 13 and 3 record.

The fact is all this talk about the greatness of the 05 Hawks O just totally ignores the teams they played. They like the 13 Broncos were the beneficiaries of inflated numbers from weak opponents.

"05 team played against teams that were a combined 110/146 wins. They feasted on SF 4 wins, Arizona 5 wins, St Louis 6 wins in 6 of the games. 05 team played only 5 teams with a winning record. They lost 2 of them and one of the winning records was a bad Dallas team.

Plus the 3 teams with winning records they did beat they got to play at home.

They got to play bad teams in Tennessee, Houston and Green Bay who only had 10 wins combined. (note they lost to GB)

In the playoffs they played against wild card teams of Wash and Carolina with 10 and 11 wins respectively and both at home. Both teams had only average offenses."

Has everyone developed amnesia or tunnel vision in their love for the 05 Hawks?? A good team but not great by any stretch. No one in NFL land talks about the great Offense of the 05 Hawks as something for posterity.

The 13 Hawks D is top 3 of all time. You cannot without rose colored glasses be saying the 05 Hawks are in the top 10 in anything all time. :229031_banghead:

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
I agree with the above post. The '05 Seahawks were a good team, but they weren't battle hardened like the '13 team. They had a pretty cake path to the superbowl and then lost to a pretty average team (and the refs.) The '13 team would have stomped the Squeelers and the refs in that game.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This isn't a question.

The 2005 was not nearly tough enough or fast enough. They were not mentally tough. They did not have aKam or Thomas or Sherman or Russ. Hell, Wagner >>> Lofa. (Hass woulda pill bugged and had a Spazzelbeck moment.)
The 14 Hawks would've gone over the top 3 or 4 times. That'd be all she wrote. 31 - 7.