2013 Carroll team v.s 2005 Holmgren team

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
hawknation2014":34uv6s67 said:
twisted_steel2":34uv6s67 said:
hawknation2014":34uv6s67 said:
twisted_steel2":34uv6s67 said:
I don't know, running behind Walt and Hutch on the left, I think would open some holes. The '13 D wasn't that great at run defense.

The Seahawks allowed just four rushing TDs all season (tied with Carolina for fewest in the league). The 49ers, for the sake of comparison, allowed 11 rushing TDs. The Seahawks also allowed just six runs of 20 or more yards and a mere 19.7% of the runs against them resulted in first downs. Teams ran on Seattle because they knew they could not throw the ball, but they didn't have much success-- averaging less than four yards per carry.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is... I'm just saying SA (NFL MVP) running behind 1 Hall of Famer, and a future Hall of Famer, would have created some holes on that D. At least way more running success than Denver. :Dunno:

My point was the Seahawks did have a GREAT run defense last season:

Allowed only four rushing TDs- tied with Carolina for best in the NFL.
Allowed only six runs of 20 or more yards- tied for 4th best in the NFL.
Allowed only 3.9 yards per carry- tied with the 49ers for 7th best the NFL.
Allowed only 19.7% of their opponent's runs to gain a First Down- eighth best in the NFL.

Disagree.

The defense as a whole was great, the run defense.... eh :Dunno:

I mean yea they were good, but great? IMHO no, that part of the defense wasn't great.

The pass rush was great, pass defense great, the run defense, eh pretty good. :D

My original point was, I think Walt and Hutch could have gotten some push there.

Escamillo

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":fbk96ep8 said:
Disagree.

The defense as a whole was great, the run defense.... eh :Dunno:

I mean yea they were good, but great? IMHO no, that part of the defense wasn't great.

The pass rush was great, pass defense great, the run defense, eh pretty good. :D

My original point was, I think Walt and Hutch could have gotten some push there.
People act like the run defense was pedestrian, it was ranked 7th (and they were even that low due to a three game stretch midseason where the run D was absolutely horrible; they changed some things and were much better after that stretch). I still think Sean Alexander behind that OL goes for 100+, but I don't think he dominates the game or dictates the outcome. That's what I meant by "contained" in my above post. He'd do well, but not be the decisive factor. I see LOB shutting down the passing attack of Hasslebeck/Engram/Jackson/Stevens/Jurevicius, et el.

warden

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2b2r76tw said:
People really seem to undervalue just how could that offense was when it was clicking and of course no one gives SA his dues as the best RB in Hawks history. Did he run behind an elite line? Yep. Was he elite himself? Yes.

I would take Lynch over Alexander in a heart beat. Just imagine Lynch running behind that line.

Sac

Reaction score
05 defense did get 58 sacks, but the coverage wasn't great.

Overall I do think the 13 squad wins convincingly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
First of all, I think the 13 Hawks win by 14 points. Our team is just that much more physical than the 05 team. Even so...

I don't remember all the defensive rankings, but the 05 team was 1st in the league in red zone defense. You had a hard time scoring down there. They were also close to the top of the league in sacks that year, and the majority of the time they only rushed four. They'd get Wilson down a few times.

I think Big Walt and Hutch would dominate the right side duo of Clemmons and McDaniel. Think about that. Walter Jones vs. Chris Clemmons, and Hutchinson vs. Tony McDaniel. We'd have to cheat over a bit and that just might open up the passing game.

Hasselbeck isn't Manning. Not even close. That being said, he was a very underrated athlete and could easily pick up 1st downs with his legs. He'd scramble for a couple of 1st downs.

I don't think we would give up much through the air, but Jurevicious would probably win the size battle vs. Thurmond. I'd see a score like 26-16 or 26-12 as being reasonable.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Big Walt ,Hutch and Tobeck would have made a better game out of it than Denver's line..Sure PC Hawks win but not like they killed the Donko's..

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Loved that 2005 team, but they were finesse and devoid of the weapons the Broncos (who lost by 35) had in the passing game.

Peyton > Hass
Alexander > Broncos RB's
Seahawk OL > Broncos OL
Broncos WR's > Seahawks WR's
Broncos TE's > Seahawks TE's

I think it would have been ugly.

JZ#1

Reaction score
The 2013 team's defense would absolutely destroy the 2005 offense. Could you imagine Koren Robinson and Darrell Jackson going over the middle against the legion of boom? They already had problems with drops lol.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The 13 squad doesn't win convincingly because it's a bad matchup. 13 squad struggled in the red zone. 05 defense was lights out in the red zone. 05 offense would run the ball on 13 defense.

That 05 team won because they scored 7 and they allowed 3. Against the 13 defense their WR's would get pounded, but remember, Peyton broke a super bowl record for completions for all the good it did him. 05 would make a bunch of short passes, BUT they'd run the damned ball too and sustain some of those drives. For that reason alone they'd but up 20 points on 13.

13 defense would get a pick or two off Hass though.

Meanwhile the 05 defense put up impressive sack numbers. Wilson would be scrambling under much more pressure. Still, the 13 offense was better than the 05 defense. It's those damned FG's that they'd have to settle for that would keep the game much closer.

In the end, 13 wins the turnover battle and the LOB keeps 05's passing game enough in check that they don't roll over them. But if you think 13 gets the pass rush against Hass they did against Denver, HAHAHAHA! Not gonna happen. Our Leo is not getting past Walter Jones. 05's oline didn't depend on a Peyton Manning to throw the ball so quickly to protect their QB. No, it's 05's WR's not named Bobby Engram who will be dropping balls, not Hass throwing ducks as he gets hit for pick sixes.

13 Hawks 26 - 05 Hawks 20.

I said we'd crush Denver and we did. I don't think we'd crush 05. It's all about them matchups boss.

kearly

Reaction score
I think it would look a lot like the Saints game on MNF.

themunn

Reaction score
JZ#1":3lobke80 said:
The 2013 team's defense would absolutely destroy the 2005 offense. Could you imagine Koren Robinson and Darrell Jackson going over the middle against the legion of boom? They already had problems with drops lol.

Robinson was with the Vikings in 2005.

Joe Jurevicius and Jerramy Stevens would match up well against the LoB. The 05 O-Line would easily handle the 13 D-Line.
The 05 Offense is better than any any O we faced in 2013. I still think the 13 team would win, but it certainly wouldn't be the stomping everyone is making it out to be. You don't fluke your way to the Superbowl.

KK84

Reaction score
themunn":6obor34y said:
JZ#1":6obor34y said:

Robinson was with the Vikings in 2005.

Joe Jurevicius and Jerramy Stevens would match up well against the LoB. The 05 O-Line would easily handle the 13 D-Line.
The 05 Offense is better than any any O we faced in 2013. I still think the 13 team would win, but it certainly wouldn't be the stomping everyone is making it out to be. You don't fluke your way to the Superbowl.

Jerramy Stevens would have gotten wrecked by the LOB, he prolly woulda gotten frusturated and kneed Kam in the balls, leading to an early grave for the rapist.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I think the 05 team would have ran the ball with some success on the 13 team. The other thing is that Hasselbeck would have ran out of trouble, he was still very mobile in 2005. I believe Engram would have been huge.

On the other hand, the Legion would have destroyed the receivers and possibly SA before he could get out of bounds. The 2005 defense would not stand a chance at stopping the 2013 offense.

Im going 31-17 2013. The 05 team would not be able to hang for even 3 quarters of 2013 youth.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm going with what most others have said, 05 would be able to run a bit but they wouldn't be able to pass with consistency. 34-17 (2013) but should be more because of our redzone issues.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":2tyicz13 said:
Yeah but who has HFA?
That would make for an interesting poll. If the two teams met, who would you be making noise for?

The Radish

Reaction score
I think many here are over estimating the offensive/defensive matchup of 05 over 13. Hass and his short passing game would drive the 13 team crazy with short gains and runs by Hass. They would finally give up and do the dumb thing and move up to the line of scrimmage and JJ would kill them all by himself. I think Sherman is one of the best but so was JJ and he was a master of blocking out defenders like Sherman & JJ was just as good at hitting defenders as our LOB.

Running and red zone offense the 05 team would murder the 13 team. I could see SA getting over a 100 yards. 13 defensive was great but they wouldn't be so great against that offensive line of 05, one of the best O lines I've ever seen and I've been watching pro football since the late 50s/early 60s. The only thing that would save 13 D from getting embarrassed by 05s running game was the fact they wouldn't have to close off the box to defend the run. That way they could give up yards but stay in the game.

All said I still see 13 winning if the officials don't get involved. But by a much closer score. I, and so can you, see the 13 team get near the red zone 5 times and get at the most 2 TDs & 3 FGs as an example. 05 get to the 30 5 times and score 4 TDs.

These teams don't match up well. As good as our defense against the pass was the 05s receivers were better. Hass wouldn't be afraid to throw at Sherman if JJ was the receiver. And JJ would get some of those. I would have loved to see a battle between JJ of 05 against Sherman of 13. WHAT A MATCHUP! One key thing, Manning throws mostly darts which favors fast high jumping defenders. Hass threw balloons which favor great receivers like JJ.

I'd be more in the 30-24 range in a close game with the 05 team having the ball last and failing to score from about the 25 at the buzzer. Or perhaps the 13 teams scores at the buzzer and then Wilson is the MVP which I could make a good case for anyway.

Now then,,,, lets us someday again get to see an offensive line like 05. If 13 had had 05s line they would have scored 70 on Donkeys with most of it on the ground. Get a line that is healthy and plays together for the 3rd season and then you'd see something.

Is this something???? Seahawks fans being able to talk about their team in 2 SuperB owls.

:D

JustTheTip

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2hs8xjmc said:
People really seem to undervalue just how could that offense was when it was clicking and of course no one gives SA his dues as the best RB in Hawks history. Did he run behind an elite line? Yep. Was he elite himself? Yes.

Elite running backs don't curl up and fall down when there is a tough yard that needs to be gained that doesn't involve the end zone. He may have had elite skills, but he was not elite. As far as the best RB in Hawks history, I would take Lynch every day of the week and twice on Sundays for what he has actually done for the team. If you are just going off raw potential, in my mind Warner's ability was superior to Alexander's.

Rainger

Reaction score
The Radish":2jl4s5eu said:
I think many here are over estimating the offensive/defensive matchup of 05 over 13. Hass and his short passing game would drive the 13 team crazy with short gains and runs by Hass. They would finally give up and do the dumb thing and move up to the line of scrimmage and JJ would kill them all by himself. I think Sherman is one of the best but so was JJ and he was a master of blocking out defenders like Sherman & JJ was just as good at hitting defenders as our LOB.

Running and red zone offense the 05 team would murder the 13 team. I could see SA getting over a 100 yards. 13 defensive was great but they wouldn't be so great against that offensive line of 05, one of the best O lines I've ever seen and I've been watching pro football since the late 50s/early 60s. The only thing that would save 13 D from getting embarrassed by 05s running game was the fact they wouldn't have to close off the box to defend the run. That way they could give up yards but stay in the game.

All said I still see 13 winning if the officials don't get involved. But by a much closer score. I, and so can you, see the 13 team get near the red zone 5 times and get at the most 2 TDs & 3 FGs as an example. 05 get to the 30 5 times and score 4 TDs.

These teams don't match up well. As good as our defense against the pass was the 05s receivers were better. Hass wouldn't be afraid to throw at Sherman if JJ was the receiver. And JJ would get some of those. I would have loved to see a battle between JJ of 05 against Sherman of 13. WHAT A MATCHUP! One key thing, Manning throws mostly darts which favors fast high jumping defenders. Hass threw balloons which favor great receivers like JJ.

I'd be more in the 30-24 range in a close game with the 05 team having the ball last and failing to score from about the 25 at the buzzer. Or perhaps the 13 teams scores at the buzzer and then Wilson is the MVP which I could make a good case for anyway.

Now then,,,, lets us someday again get to see an offensive line like 05. If 13 had had 05s line they would have scored 70 on Donkeys with most of it on the ground. Get a line that is healthy and plays together for the 3rd season and then you'd see something.

Is this something???? Seahawks fans being able to talk about their team in 2 SuperB owls.

:D
I respect you a lot Radish but man I wish I could get a bunch of the drugs you are on. Game would not be close. I think time has given you a more rosier memory of the 05 team. :D

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think the 05 Seahawks beat the 13 Patriots; could beat the 13 49ers (New Orleans beat them; Atlanta took them to the limit -- both those teams are comparable to the 05 Seahawks). I think they only lose to the 13 Broncos (strength vs. strength; comes down to the better QB) and obviously the 13 Seahawks.