2013 Carroll team v.s 2005 Holmgren team

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I'm with Les on this, I think you guys are really underestimating that 05 team. They were the #1 scoring offense that year, with 2 HoF lineman, and the NFL's MVP. And I really scrappy D that could bring the pressure and get very stingy in the red zone. They were 15-3 heading into the SB. C'mon!! They should have won that game.

I love the 13 team, and think 2013 team wins hands down, but I think the 05 team hangs in there for awhile, at least a better showing than the Donkeys.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Peyton Manning is the king of dinking and dunking. He set the record for most completions yet came away with only 8 points. I love Hass, but no way would he handle the LOB any better.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2gx0mx0i said:
I'm with Les on this, I think you guys are really underestimating that 05 team. They were the #1 scoring offense that year, with 2 HoF lineman, and the NFL's MVP. And I really scrappy D that could bring the pressure and get very stingy in the red zone. They were 15-3 heading into the SB. C'mon!! They should have won that game.

I love the 13 team, and think 2013 team wins hands down, but I think the 05 team hangs in there for awhile, at least a better showing than the Donkeys.

But isn't that a similar argument people used to say Denver would beat Seattle? Denver was the #1 offense of all time. Their QB was supposedly impossible to sack or pressure. They had Pro Bowl talent at three WR positions and at TE. The defense was decent and playing its best in the playoffs, particularly against the run.

Don't get me wrong, I think Seattle was the best team in the NFL in 2005. I think they beat all but two teams in 2013. I just don't like this match-up for them.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
I don't see any possible way for the '05 team to stay within 10 points of the '13 team. Even in their offensive heyday, Holmgren's Seahawks never handled strong defenses very well. And while I think the '05 defense would perform admirably against Lynch and the '13 team's run blocking, I think the '05 secondary would get torched even worse than the '13 Broncos did. I'd expect a game that was something like 34-21. And if the '13 Hawks got up early, that would be all she wrote, as Holmgren was bad about abandoning the run when he got in a hole. Hass and the '05 receivers having to pass against the LOB? That's a recipe for disaster.

Rainger

Reaction score
People are forgetting things due to time.

05 team played against teams that were a combined 110/146 wins. They feasted on SF 4 wins, Arizona 5 wins, St Louis 6 wins in 6 of the games. 05 team played only 5 teams with a winning record. They lost 2 of them and one of the winning records was a bad Dallas team.

Plus the 3 teams with winning records they did beat they got to play at home.

They got to play bad teams in Tennessee, Houston and Green Bay who only had 10 wins combined. (note they lost to GB)

In the playoffs they played against wild card teams of Wash and Carolina with 10 and 11 wins respectively and both at home. Both teams had only average offenses.

Please don't get me wrong I loved the 05 team as much as anyone but that team did not play against the competition that the 13 team played.

PS I also think overall the NFL was a tougher league in 13 than 05. As Sherman would say the 05 teams were all mediocre.

Now of course this is all subjective opinion on all our parts which is what makes the discussion fun.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hmm one thing that's pretty interesting are the comparisons between Hasselbeck in 05 and Wilson in 13. I would have thought our offense being so good that year, Hasselbecks' numbers would be better even knowing that Alexander had a monster year.

Hasselbeck '05:

65.5%
3459 Yards
24 TD
9 INT
7.7 Yards/Attempt
98.2 Rating
124 Rush Yards
1 Rush TD
3.4 Yards/Attempt

Wilson '13:

63.1%
3357 Yards
26 TD
9 INT
8.2 Yards/Attempt
101.2 Rating
539 Rush Yards
1 Rush TD
5.6 Yards/Attempt

NINEster

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2ygz78lr said:
I think the 05 Seahawks beat the 13 Patriots; could beat the 13 49ers (New Orleans beat them; Atlanta took them to the limit -- both those teams are comparable to the 05 Seahawks). I think they only lose to the 13 Broncos (strength vs. strength; comes down to the better QB) and obviously the 13 Seahawks.

The 13 Hawks nearly lost to a terrible Rams team this year. They were put to the limit by the Texans as well. What's your point?

Comparing teams that beat SF or NE this year has no real bearing on who is better. There's never been an undefeated Super Bowl champion since we've gone to a 16 game season.

I'll have to rewatch that Seahawk/Steeler super bowl, but from my memory, the eye test didn't show the Seahawks to be particularly great that day. I watched that game through an anti-Steelers lens, so it's not like I am hating.

Another thing to keep in mind was that the NFC wasn't particularly strong in '05, '06. Seahawks had HFA in the same stadium they are in now.

The 2013 Seahawks were a great team, historic. 2005 team even had they won the SB, would not have rang much noise years later.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Man I really wouldn't mind watching a bunch of old games from the 2005 season. There are plenty of things I have simply forgotten. I was at the playoff game against Washington but barely remember that Brunell was the QB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
The Radish":2xgf804m said:
I think many here are over estimating the offensive/defensive matchup of 05 over 13. Hass and his short passing game would drive the 13 team crazy with short gains and runs by Hass. They would finally give up and do the dumb thing and move up to the line of scrimmage and JJ would kill them all by himself. I think Sherman is one of the best but so was JJ and he was a master of blocking out defenders like Sherman & JJ was just as good at hitting defenders as our LOB.

Running and red zone offense the 05 team would murder the 13 team. I could see SA getting over a 100 yards. 13 defensive was great but they wouldn't be so great against that offensive line of 05, one of the best O lines I've ever seen and I've been watching pro football since the late 50s/early 60s. The only thing that would save 13 D from getting embarrassed by 05s running game was the fact they wouldn't have to close off the box to defend the run. That way they could give up yards but stay in the game.

All said I still see 13 winning if the officials don't get involved. But by a much closer score. I, and so can you, see the 13 team get near the red zone 5 times and get at the most 2 TDs & 3 FGs as an example. 05 get to the 30 5 times and score 4 TDs.

These teams don't match up well. As good as our defense against the pass was the 05s receivers were better. Hass wouldn't be afraid to throw at Sherman if JJ was the receiver. And JJ would get some of those. I would have loved to see a battle between JJ of 05 against Sherman of 13. WHAT A MATCHUP! One key thing, Manning throws mostly darts which favors fast high jumping defenders. Hass threw balloons which favor great receivers like JJ.

I'd be more in the 30-24 range in a close game with the 05 team having the ball last and failing to score from about the 25 at the buzzer. Or perhaps the 13 teams scores at the buzzer and then Wilson is the MVP which I could make a good case for anyway.

Now then,,,, lets us someday again get to see an offensive line like 05. If 13 had had 05s line they would have scored :les: 70 on Donkeys with most of it on the ground. Get a line that is healthy and plays together for the 3rd season and then you'd see something.

Is this something???? Seahawks fans being able to talk about their team in 2 SuperB owls.

:D
Yes old man. :les:

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
I just want to point out that the 2013 broncos was suppose to be the best offense of all time.
yet we won.. so how could anyone even think they 2005 (Not as good as that Denver team) would win against the 2013 seattle d?

I think that pretty much sums it up..
However....... that 2005 team offense was REALLY fun to watch. but not as fun as winning a superbowl that I have watched at least 50 times.

edit dyslexia LOL

Atradees

Reaction score
Man, I dont wanna bash Hass and Alexander-two of the greatest Seahawks of all time. Carroll would eat holmgren for lunch. Especially after halftime adjustments. i THINK WE BEAT TO RIPE A DENVER TEAM SOMETIMES......so we may be overating ourselves a tad. Still not close. Our players would have seen the plays to easy-like the FB Dive.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
The Broncos a historically great offensive team. Dismantled by this team. I think the world of our first SB team but they would be in for a long Sunday against LOB

themunn

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":ynl0yc9s said:
I just want to point out that the 2013 broncos was suppose to be the best offense of all time.
yet we won.. so how could anyone even think they 2005 (Not as good as that Denver team) would win against the 2013 seattle d?

I think that pretty much sums it up..
However....... that 2005 team offense was REALLY fun to watch. but not as fun as winning a superbowl that I have watched at least 50 times.

edit dyslexia LOL

because "supposed to be" and "actually" are two different things, highest scoring =/= best.
Regardless, the 2005 team matches up better against the 2013 team than Denver did - the 13 team is set up to be nearly impossible to beat by one-dimensional offenses (either extremely good rushing teams or extremely good passing teams will struggle). But any team that is excellent at both will put pressure on them.
The 05 team had a brutally strong running game (as did a lot of teams in the mid 00s) - for comparison we finished with nearly 20 more rushing YPG than the 13 team despite running the ball more than anyone but the Niners last year. And Hass in 05 was arguably close to if not at his peak. Our total points scored that year was still impressive - even if it's been dwarved by the pass-happy teams of the last 5-6 years that have to score 30 points to win games - the 05 team could still grind out a 13-10 win when they had to

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I loved that '05 team, but sorry, the '13 team stomps the will to play right out of them like they did in the Super Bowl. It's at least as epic an arse-stomping as that. The '05 team curled up when exposed to pressure by unfair officiating. They'd have done the same to the blunt force trauma of the Legion of Boom.

And home field advantage would not have mattered. The '05 team could have been at home, with all the advantages of Quest Field/CenturyLink Stadium, and it wouldn't have mattered. The '13 team would have come in and taken that Lombardi trophy from them. They'd have been all over the '05 team like Nelson Muntz on Martin Prince, Jr. Like a hobo on a ham sammich. Like Shack regulars on a Niner troll. You get the idea.

Scariest part? The '14 team could be even better.

olyfan63

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":26fk2nk9 said:

^^^ This.

People are not giving the 05 team enough credit.
05 team was "FINESSE"??!! Baloney!! 05 was a *SMASHMOUTH* running team. Go ahead, as you're getting up from just being pancaked, sitting on your ass, mouth off to Walt or Hutch about how "Finesse" they are.
Think about how the Rams and Zac Stacy ran for nearly 200 yards against the '13 team. Yes, that was an anomaly, but the 05 team would have success running against the 13's.

The 05 *Defense* was a little on the finesse side perhaps, more like held together by chewing gum and baling twine. That's where the 13 offense would do the damage. But '13 offense red zone struggles would keep the game close.

Final score: 2013 Seahawks win, 23-17 or 27-17. Eight times out of 10, the 2013's win. 2 times out of 10, the 2005's win, For the 2005's to win, they'd need a couple turnovers and a couple big plays. But, 2 times out of 10, they would, by scores like 24-23, and 21-16.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think some of you people are either too young or have lost perspective. I ask all of you that think the 13 team would stomp the 05 team this:

So you're saying the 13 Niners would stomp the 05 Hawks? Cuz we barely got by at home by the skin of our teeth against that Niner team last year. I, for one, think the 05 Hawks would blow that Niner team out of the water.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2upxnhn6 said:
I think some of you people are either too young or have lost perspective. I ask all of you that think the 13 team would stomp the 05 team this:

So you're saying the 13 Niners would stomp the 05 Hawks? Cuz we barely got by at home by the skin of our teeth against that Niner team last year. I, for one, think the 05 Hawks would blow that Niner team out of the water.
They would have won but not stomped them. Why? Bigger, stronger, faster. And nobody ever imagined Keapernick in 2005. Nobody.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
You understand that 2014 CB's (Seattle especially) are bigger and faster and better then any 1970-80's LB and many DL guys? Let's not even go into quarterbacks and the offenses they've required to know from the start compared to then or the WR's.

billio155

Reaction score
I think 13 would crush 05. Pete's D thrives at stopping short passes such as slants and passes to the running backs. The way to be beat our currant hawks is with a Norv Turner offense. Big Qb, stout running game and speed x and y recievers to tun the post on play action passes. We struggle against teams that play this way.