17 Points: Preseason Week 1, Broncos

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
1. Preseason isn't about the team looking good. It's about individuals seizing opportunities. Some did, some kinda did, others dropped two passes and drew a holding penalty. Week 1 of the preseason gives you about a quarter's worth of valuable diagnostics before it becomes about as informative as an episode of Pawn Stars. Basically, other than two guys, whatever you learned today isn't to be accepted until Weeks 2 and 3 confirm it.

2. Who were those two guys? Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett. Clark has motor, technique, and tenacity. He was wrecking people all up and down Denver's roster. Tyler Lockett, for his part, had enough speed to break off a 103-yard TD return despite utterly fetid blocking by his teammates. That says a lot, especially given Denver played so hard and well that it's obvious Gary Kubiak wanted to make a statement. (squeeeeeee)

3. TE situation. Poor Anthony McCoy. So much potential, so much adversity, so little results. It's obvious that he cares. There's still time for him this offseason. But Seattle already has someone else - Cooper Helfet - who's never given reason to be doubted. McCoy has to get his butt in gear.

4. RB situation. Robert Turbin and Christine Michael showed marginal improvement, while Thomas Rawls and Rod Smith had some splash plays against a third-string prevent defense. Basically, an "Incomplete" grade. Turbin is still held back by his lacking first gear; Michael needed to fumble about as much as Hillary Clinton needed to joke about Snapchat this morning. Rawls plays with an intriguing spark. You get the impression that he might blow up behind an OL with its act together. Speaking of which...

5. The offensive line's importance. If Tom Cable is adamant about Seattle's only real pass protection being Russell Wilson's legs, he's doing a good job. But fans, who continue to rely on gameday pundits and local talking heads for their information, still believe that the offensive line is the most important position in football. It's not. Based off the last eight Super Bowl appearances (all mediocre to bad offensive lines, including our own, twice), it's highly spurious, depending on QB performance, WR performance, scheme usage, and a variety of other factors. As long as Cable is in charge, this team is not going to be drafting pass protectors along the OL. They're going to be drafting "grit" and "nasty" for the run-blocking game that comprises the team's philosophy. The philosophy which has sent them to two Super Bowls.

6. The offensive line's performance. All that being said, they blew chunks last night. First Britt used the wrong technique against Von Miller, then Sweezy broke down, then...As Scottemojo said elsewhere, it's usually just one person dropping the ball, but that's all it takes. A good OL has enough consistency between all five guys to cover the occasional mistake. We're nowhere near that. Nor did we look good in the run-blocking game, either. That's what got me, since it's Cable's calling card around here. Terry Poole provided a big enough hole to drive a truck through at one point, but other than that...guys constantly getting blown up at the point of attack, even by Denver's third-stringers. BUT...preseason. And a line strung together with rookies and DL projects.

7. Chris Matthews. I was a lot more encouraged to see Chris Matthews coming back for 10-yard sideline passes and making catches with defenders hanging on him. Much more bread and butter skill than what he showed in the SB. He might encourage Wilson to throw more. They're saying he'll probably be out for two weeks.

8. Other WR's. Pretty obvious that Kevin Smith is the one who's gotten the bulk of RJ Archer's practice throws. Doesn't mean much, but he acquitted himself better than Norwood. I've just never been excited about Norwood.

9. CB Tye Smith. Also didn't hurt his case. Some nice blanket coverage, reminiscent of Sherm. The pass breakup was actually nothing - the WR flat-out dropped the underthrown pass and Smith collided with him a split second later - but it was something to build on, given that nobody else in the DB depth stable is really seizing the day.

10. Defensive line in general. Something worth being very excited about. Clark can play any position. Avril and Marsh should be an active pair. The tackle rotation is deep. This is the one thing that's robbed us of two more Lombardi trophies since Wilson came to Seattle. Was also nice to see Greg Scruggs showing hustle on an escaping QB - remember Scruggs?

11. S Dion Bailey. Don't jump the gun. Making big hits isn't impressive. It means the QB isn't afraid to throw at you (generally speaking). A good DB doesn't create hits; he creates sacks, by discouraging the QB from throwing.

12. Special teams. Terrible blocking, though that's to be expected in preseason. #53 blew a block, then G Mark Glowinski blew one (are they checking him for ST potential before kicking him to the curb?), then everyone sucked on Lockett's big run. Coverage wasn't bad.

13. The Broncos. Keep in mind that Seattle was playing what is still a good football team, one that didn't hesitate to play as if it was Week 3 of the preseason and not Week 1. Brock Osweiler looked sharper than I expected, though he was sticking with shorter throws out of obvious respect for Seattle's DL. They've got a respectable DL of their own, too.

14. That open-field tackle by bubble DB Eric Pinkins. Thing. Of. Beauty. Regardless of whether he makes the roster ot not.

15. Nate Boyer. He looked good, but are they really thinking about dumping Clint Gresham for him? Or are they just giving him tape so some other team will give him a look? Sounds like something Pete would do.

16. If you're looking for another reason to hate the OL, remember that the loss of Max Unger's experience is not trivial. Bitch about his injury proneness all you want. You don't make a bad OL worse. Jimmy Graham will need to greatly encourage Wilson to throw faster in order to balance out that trade.

17. BJ Daniels is interesting. Spunky and full-motor, but mixed results. Seattle doesn't have a track record of holding onto such Swiss army knives.

Until next week...

Laloosh

Reaction score
Only time I noticed Scruggs was when I thought he was looking pretty half-assish on a play. Don't recall details, just that I thought "hmm... that looked kind of terrible". Someone I was really excited to see play last year but this year I guess i'm just not expecting much.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
excellent take on the game and I agree with nearly all of it

except that the pass blocking had little to do with losing Unger

i watched Bailey stand flat footed as the 3 tech swam him and ate RW

poor technique in the pass blocking

also Denver sent CB blitzes at times

who does that in the preseason?

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scottemojo":10zyk7jz said:
Why 17?

I kid.

You're a scream.

HawkNuts":10zyk7jz said:

Yeah, they weren't exactly playing vanilla. We still came close to beating them without the starting offense or the Legion. That could be encouraging.

I'm just saying the loss of Unger could be something to watch out for, especially in the experience arena. Not saying he was at fault for our poor showing yesterday. That was just Preseason Week 1.

kearly

Reaction score
Love it Montana.

Just my opinion- I don't even view Cooper Helfet as a real TE. I think you could line up Kearse or Baldwin at TE and they might block better than he does. Lets not forget that Helfet has a ton of brutal drops on his resume, particularly in the previous preseasons. But that said, nothing could be worse than McCoy last night. Where art thou, Zach Miller?

BJ Daniels was in on a lot of plays in this game, yet wasn't talked about much. He had a really nice hit / tackle on special teams, but otherwise he did not look like an NFL player just yet. I'd really like to see him get reps at QB. Clinton Portis was twice the QB that Archer is, and Daniels can probably manage to at least be that.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":2bsl3maz said:
BJ Daniels was in on a lot of plays in this game, yet wasn't talked about much. He had a really nice hit / tackle on special teams, but otherwise he did not look like an NFL player just yet. I'd really like to see him get reps at QB. He has to be better than Archer.

B.J. Daniels had a decent return game. He was a stubbed toe on the turf from taking one to the house, and had a few more decent returns as well. He may not be someone we'll integrate quickly into the offense, but he may have a place on special teams, when combined with a third-string quarterback role.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3i91uoxr said:
kearly":3i91uoxr said:
BJ Daniels was in on a lot of plays in this game, yet wasn't talked about much. He had a really nice hit / tackle on special teams, but otherwise he did not look like an NFL player just yet. I'd really like to see him get reps at QB. He has to be better than Archer.

B.J. Daniels had a decent return game. He was a stubbed toe on the turf from taking one to the house, and had a few more decent returns as well. He may not be someone we'll integrate quickly into the offense, but he may have a place on special teams, when combined with a third-string quarterback role.

I am a big fan of BJ Daniels. I personally didn't think he looked all that good on returns. He danced a lot, and not the best speed. Seemed awkward in a Golden Tate way, without the Golden Tate magic.

morgulon1

Reaction score
HawkNuts":302wxdyk said:
excellent take on the game and I agree with nearly all of it

except that the pass blocking had little to do with losing Unger

i watched Bailey stand flat footed as the 3 tech swam him and ate RW

poor technique in the pass blocking

Two points.

1. Denver blitzed like it was a Madden game
2. Excellent post Montana. The best I've read.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
kearly":6vwlr9y8 said:
Seahawk Sailor":6vwlr9y8 said:
kearly":6vwlr9y8 said:

I am a big fan of BJ Daniels. I personally didn't think he looked all that good on returns. He danced a lot, and not the best speed. Seemed awkward in a Golden Tate way, without the Golden Tate magic.

I can see that. I think we'd have seen a lot more of that Golden Tate magic if he hadn't have tripped over his toes on the one return. He had what, 50 yards in kick returns? Add another 60 or so yards if he keeps his feet and we'd be talking about him in about the same glowing tones as Lockett. Punt returns, however, were not great for either guy. Lockett is the only one who had a decent one, and it was that one run-back-and-around play that ended up gaining 18 yards.

morgulon1

Reaction score
kearly":3hl4lyn8 said:
Love it Montana.

Just my opinion- I don't even view Cooper Helfet as a real TE. I think you could line up Kearse or Baldwin at TE and they might block better than he does. Lets not forget that Helfet has a ton of brutal drops on his resume, particularly in the previous preseasons. But that said, nothing could be worse than McCoy last night. Where art thou, Zach Miller?

BJ Daniels was in on a lot of plays in this game, yet wasn't talked about much. He had a really nice hit / tackle on special teams, but otherwise he did not look like an NFL player just yet. I'd really like to see him get reps at QB. Clinton Portis was twice the QB that Archer is, and Daniels can probably manage to at least be that.

People seem to forget that Helfet and Willson drop more balls than they catch. Willson had the monster game at
Arizona and missed 5 of 6 against Oakland the following week. Not a fan.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Really enjoyable read, man. And on-point.

BJ Daniels strikes me as being in a "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" situation right now. Generally, I don't think that gets you on a team.

Right now, I'm sorting wishing they left him at QB because we got a ton of reps to fill with T-Jack being hurt. BJ has always looked really intriguing in the preseason (w/ SF and SEA). It's going to be hard to evaluate these WRs with Archer and a street QB taking all the reps.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
morgulon1":3m9xm8bt said:
1. Denver blitzed like it was a Madden game.

Another excellent point that you reminded me of...the NFL sees Seattle as what they are, a Super Bowl contender. They're going to be taking their shots on us. Any team with established talent and philosophy will be wanting to put chinks in our armor.

morgulon1

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":299cnaar said:
morgulon1":299cnaar said:
1. Denver blitzed like it was a Madden game.

Another excellent point that you reminded me of...the NFL sees Seattle as what they are, a Super Bowl contender. They're going to be taking their shots on us. Any team with established talent and philosophy will be wanting to put chinks in our armor.

Alright then Montana, I have a question. Are there or IS there any definite answers that you took from game one?
For example Anthony McCoy? Do you think he dropped and penaltied his way out of Seattle? On the other hand,
do you think a player or two just from this one sample of play has earned his way on the opening day 53 not named
Clark or Lockette?

I was impressed with that lanky backup line backer (#48?) but he was teeing off on future civilians.

Thank you .

falcongoggles

Reaction score
morgulon1":dqitm2m8 said:
Alright then Montana, I have a question. Are there or IS there any definite answers that you took from game one?
For example Anthony McCoy? Do you think he dropped and penaltied his way out of Seattle? On the other hand,
do you think a player or two just from this one sample of play has earned his way on the opening day 53 not named
Clark or Lockette?

I was impressed with that lanky backup line backer (#48?) but he was teeing off on future civilians.

Thank you .

Correction - every player on that field is a civilian and will remain such in or outside of the NFL.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
morgulon1":2atwxi4v said:

I don't know if you can do that in Week 1, especially if the coaches have remained high on you through two seasons of injuries. But he probably only has two more games to turn it around.

Tye Smith might have taken the lead in the DB competition.