Offensive points and defensive turn overs and points

Hawk4life

Reaction score
As we close in on the beginning of the season I find myself some what optimistic and find it interesting that there seems to be a lot fewer people talking doom and gloom this year. Not that that is a bad thing.

Despite my concerns about this team being better than what they were at the end of last season, they still remain. I support Geno and my only expectation is for him to keep doing what he did last year. He averaged 2 TD's a game and that clearly isn't enough to beat teams with good offenses.

We don't have a high scoring QB so we are going to need 2 things to happen. Our RB's have to produce at Marshawn levels and our defense has to defend, create turnovers and score points. I love our winning attitude and expect it. But if either one of these areas falter, we can't rely on our QB to get it done.

This team shares a lot of similar characteristics as the 2013 squad except now we have a limited passing QB instead of a limited running QB. Offensively, I see this as an improvement because our offensive line has to be good to protect Geno which should also improve our run game. I have high hopes for our defense but replicating the LOB is a lot to ask.

chris98251

Reaction score
Limited on your expectations, Smith can sling it and at a high percentage, we have horses to stretch the field at all levels, RB is deep and solid and a stable of TE's, Defense has some thump in them which means turnovers, and they are good in pass coverage. If the lines are average and above we can do some damage.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
We don't have a high scoring QB so we are going to need 2 things to happen. Our RB's have to produce at Marshawn levels and our defense has to defend, create turnovers and score points. I love our winning attitude and expect it. But if either one of these areas falter, we can't rely on our QB to get it done.
????? So Geno can’t get it done? This doesn’t make sense to me. He looked good last year and our cupboard is better stocked this year. Why the doubt?

OP
OP
H

Hawk4life

Reaction score
????? So Geno can’t get it done? This doesn’t make sense to me. He looked good last year and our cupboard is better stocked this year. Why the doubt?
Geno has never thrown a 4 TD’s game in the NFL EVER. He is a good QB but not elite. Even in his prime which has passed. Expecting more is illogical. Reality isn’t going to change because we don’t like it. We know what we got in Geno.

It’s impressive enough to be able to say that Geno is as good (or better) than RW was in his second year. We can’t depend on him to carry the team but we didn’t depend on RW back then either. And that is perfectly fine if we have a good running game and a badass defense.

OP
OP
H

Hawk4life

Reaction score
Horseshit. He threw the fourth most touchdowns in the league last year.

2022 wasn’t a very good year for QBs. Take a look at 2021, Geno would be 10th.

He had an amazing first half of the year and started to slide in the second half. He has never thrown 4 TD’s. I truly hope he had an awesome off-season and perhaps he trained at a higher level but I don’t realistically believe he will be much more than what we’ve seen.

Last edited:

keasley45

Reaction score

He had an amazing first half of the year and started to slide in the second half. He has never thrown 4 TD’s. I truly hope he had an awesome off-season and perhaps he trained at a higher level but I don’t realistically believe he will be much more than what we’ve seen.

Do you really think Geno Smith can't throw for 4 tds in a game?

keasley45

Reaction score

And his drop-off at the end of the season wasn't something that occurred in a vacuum. The blocking fell off a cliff and we had a horrid ground game for a stretch.

You have to keep that in mind.

As to him reaching his prime... there have been many qbs who didn't hit their prime until late in their career. Brady had some of his best seasons after age 35. And there have been many others. Doug Williams didn't blossom until late. Jeff Hostettler. Rich Gannon. Rodgers. Brad Johnson. And on. Steve Young wallowed in Tampa and didn't play at anything approaching elite until his 30s. He didn't win a super bowl until 35.

Prime is defined in different ways for different players. Peak physical form does not correlate with peak understanding of the game.

Not saying Geno will be great. But the declarative- he's not elite because of x or y after one season...

I think he uas yet to show what he can do and who he is fully.

Here's hoping he continues on the trajectory he's on.

AgentDib

Reaction score
The problem is that you could use similar logic to argue in the opposing direction as well. For example, if touchdowns in 2021 were higher on average then in 2022, then when moving Geno's 2022 numbers to 2021 it wouldn't be unreasonable to adjust the 2022 numbers upwards in order to account for that difference.

When you're looking at comparative rankings it's important to apply any adjustments to the entire population equally. This is often overlooked when people talk about where players would rank if you only look at a specific subset of plays, but ranking players using statistics from a different year is the same type of error. We don't know how many TDs Geno would have thrown in 2021 if given the opportunity or where he would have ranked amongst his peers.

BASF

Reaction score
Geno has never thrown four touchdowns in a game?

Three touchdown games last season: New Orleans, Las Vegas and Carolina

Games in which DK Metcalf dropped a touchdown pass includes New Orleans, so your premise is flawed. If the receiver has the ball hit him in his hands and you are holding it against the QB, there is something wrong.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Shocker, another shot at DK. It's like morning coffee, always there.

If we're going to talk about what if's........how about the SEVERAL passes that were easy Picks that Geno threw? Especially late season. SEVERAL.
Clearly some guys are above criticism, while other guys (DK, Adams, Brooks etc.) are daily whipping boys.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Shocker, another shot at DK. It's like morning coffee, always there.

If we're going to talk about what if's........how about the SEVERAL passes that were easy Picks that Geno threw? Especially late season. SEVERAL.
Clearly some guys are above criticism, while other guys (DK, Adams, Brooks etc.) are daily whipping boys.
They're not above criticism, but this is a dumb criticism. Nagging the guy for not scoring enough when he was a top-5 scoring passer last year doesn't make any sense.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He had a hell of a season. But he needs to stop throwing it right to defenders. NO QB is above criticism. Geno would tell you the same thing. He has to be better. And he likely will.
I'll give you one thing, you are lightning quick to jump on me if I say anything remotely negative about Geno. He's a QB, it comes with the position.
I've said several times that I was wrong about the guy. But it's never good enough, and that's fine. He needs to be better, and he will.

BASF

Reaction score
As far as the assertion that I hate DK, does it mean I hate Lockett as well when I point out his dropping a TD against the Giants?