“They wanted it more.”

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m trying to think of a phrase that makes me want to chew glass more than that one.

Geno said that very phrase during his post game interview. We’ve all heard it before from many different players and teams through the years. It’s nothing new.

But it disgusts me as a diehard fan.

Why did the opponent want it more? What in the world could have caused a situation where YOU were not the team that “wanted it more?”

Lack of preparation? Lack of emotion or intensity? Taking the other team too lightly? There should never be a time in your life as a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars where you are not psychologically of the mind set of wanting it more than your opponent.

Meh. I could wax philosophical all night about the nuances of what went wrong but when I hear players say that phrase, especially our players, man it just makes me wince like I’ve been slapped.

Talk about an insult to all of us fans.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
Detroit sure as hell looks like they want it more, too. I hope this season doesn't derail within 2 weeks. It could potentially get uglier. This team was underprepared and got outclassed all over the field.

Was that even the same team that came out for the 2nd half? Or is there an entire Seahawk group of doppelgangers waddling around the stadium?

TwilightError

Reaction score
I feel like everyone was already talking about the Lions game. You dont get gimmes at the NFL. Focus needs to be 100%.

Also Stafford made Geno look like a schoolboy and Pete was once again outcoached by McVay. All in all it was just sad and pathetic. Bad football by a bad football team.

Still it’s week 1, which often offers surprises and might not be what to expect. But I dont believe this team can be any good until I see it. Hopefully I dont need to wait too long..

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I think it was the first year of PC-&-JS, we played the Raiders and got our asses handed to us. The Raiders beat the everloving crap out of us. Pete and John resolved to not let that happen again, and decided to make the Seahawks the team that would beat the crap out of other teams.

Whatever happened to that philosophy?

CactusJack

Reaction score
I think it was the first year of PC-&-JS, we played the Raiders and got our asses handed to us. The Raiders beat the everloving crap out of us. Pete and John resolved to not let that happen again, and decided to make the Seahawks the team that would beat the crap out of other teams.

Good question.

Jerhawk

Reaction score

Pete and John have become content and comfortable in their positions.

Pete's message falls on deaf ears, and they're both listening to the wrong scouts and missing on too many draft picks.

It's time for a change

Scout

Reaction score
JS has constructed a very talented squad. One of the most talented squads in the NFC and should be commended for such a quick turn around and the infusion of youth.

PC though has to be held accountable for not reeling in Hurtt and his soft zone approach. Playing soft zone whether quarters, cover 2, cover 3, etc would work if you are guarding a two TD lead and you have a QB that struggles completing high percentage throws as time is being chewed up. Also it would work if the DBs lineup and defend the sticks but the failure to adjust to the game situation is the worst.

The offense needed a stop and a chance to flip field position given they lost two OTs. On the flipside the offense needed to stick to the run to give the defense a breather.

The Hawks did NOT play complimentary football at all and were humiliated at home by the Rams.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Pete has always been very lax on discipline. It's been a topic of discussion in this forum and others ever since he arrived back in 2010 and is arguably one of the reasons why the LOB broke up like it did. Players lose respect for him.

I wonder how Dan Campbell, Detroit's head coach, would have handled the same situation. I sure got the impression that he was not one to give anything less than 100% effort. He was just as enthusiastic as Pete yet much more physically imposing and in your face.

Obviously, it's very, very premature, but in that 4th quarter yesterday, I got the impression that the players don't care. Metcalf and the others were joking around on the sidelines, congratulating each other.

If the league doesn't suspend Metcalf, which I'll be disappointed if they don't, Pete needs to sit his ass for at least a game, don't even let him travel to Detroit. It's not like yesterday was an out of character anomaly. If he's going to act like a child, treat him like one.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I’m trying to think of a phrase that makes me want to chew glass more than that one.

Geno said that very phrase during his post game interview. We’ve all heard it before from many different players and teams through the years. It’s nothing new.

Why did the opponent want it more? What in the world could have caused a situation where YOU were not the team that “wanted it more?”

Lack of preparation? Lack of emotion or intensity? Taking the other team too lightly? There should never be a time in your life as a professional athlete getting paid millions of dollars where you are not psychologically of the mind set of wanting it more than your opponent.

Meh. I could wax philosophical all night about the nuances of what went wrong but when I hear players say that phrase, especially our players, man it just makes me wince like I’ve been slapped.

And "We have alot of work to do." from PC's presser -

Seems to be the understatement of the year!

We got owned. I hope they are butt-hurt enough to rally in Detroit - but I have a feeling we might be walking into a buzzsaw.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I feel like everyone was already talking about the Lions game. You dont get gimmes at the NFL. Focus needs to be 100%.

Also Stafford made Geno look like a schoolboy and Pete was once again outcoached by McVay. All in all it was just sad and pathetic. Bad football by a bad football team.

Still it’s week 1, which often offers surprises and might not be what to expect. But I dont believe this team can be any good until I see it. Hopefully I dont need to wait too long..
I thought Stafford played just Fing lights out.

I don't hate the dude, he's just the opponent - but I gotta say he dissected us properly. Play after play after play.

Gotta tip your hat to Stafford - like him or not - that was quite the performance. The windows the dude was throwing into - with confidence - were crazy.

And you're right - did make Geno look like a schoolboy. Unfortunately.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
It was pretty clear on the field that the rams wanted the game more. They came out with more energy. They were jacked up for the game. Seattle looked like a team that read too much of it's own clippings. It is what it is.

I think Seattle will come out against the Lions and probably win that game. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Week 1 traditionally has a lot of outliers.

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Pete has always been very lax on discipline. It's been a topic of discussion in this forum and others ever since he arrived back in 2010 and is arguably one of the reasons why the LOB broke up like it did. Players lose respect for him.

I wonder how Dan Campbell, Detroit's head coach, would have handled the same situation. I sure got the impression that he was not one to give anything less than 100% effort. He was just as enthusiastic as Pete yet much more physically imposing and in your face.

Obviously, it's very, very premature, but in that 4th quarter yesterday, I got the impression that the players don't care. Metcalf and the others were joking around on the sidelines, congratulating each other.

If the league doesn't suspend Metcalf, which I'll be disappointed if they don't, Pete needs to sit his ass for at least a game, don't even let him travel to Detroit. It's not like yesterday was an out of character anomaly. If he's going to act like a child, treat him like one.
DK didn't do anything that rises to league suspension but he should be disciplined internally. I was disappointed that he finished the game yesterday. It was already pretty much out of reach but that drive was the last chance to mount a comeback and his ego and lack of self control killed it. Every opposing team knows this about him and has been/will be poking at him every game to throw him off and he STILL doesn't have the maturity to handle it. Very disappointing.

RiverDog

Reaction score
DK didn't do anything that rises to league suspension but he should be disciplined internally. I was disappointed that he finished the game yesterday. It was already pretty much out of reach but that drive was the last chance to mount a comeback and his ego and lack of self control killed it. Every opposing team knows this about him and has been/will be poking at him every game to throw him off and he STILL doesn't have the maturity to handle it. Very disappointing.
We'll see about the suspension, but unless it was provoked, I could very easily see the league at least issuing a fine. It's the type of action that causes benches to empty.

And yes, Pete should have set his ass the rest of the game.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
We'll see about the suspension, but unless it was provoked, I could very easily see the league at least issuing a fine. It's the type of action that causes benches to empty.

And yes, Pete should have set his ass the rest of the game.
He'll definitely get a fine for the unsportsmanlike. They cracked down on chatter at opposing benches a few yeas ago, which is why he got the second flag, so that will definitely cost him some money. Dunno if the cheap shot will get fined or not.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don't even know what "want it more" means. Maybe it's something you tell a teen to instill work ethic, but these are pros.

The Rams had tools. They had a general who schemed, prepared, adjusted, was open minded, and was flexible in providing a platform to best utilize "the want" his team brought to the field.

If I can double the math exam score of my classmate, but I had an instructor who tailored her/his pedagogy to that particular test, held me accountable, AND gave me a calculator, my expediency is not because "I wanted it more".

"They wanted it more" is just a aphorism to skirt accountability of the real issues.

Last edited:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Yeah I didn't get the defensive scheme yesterday at all, especially on the back end with all the quarters and soft zones allowing a dude no one had ever heard of before in Nacua to carve us up like he's Jerry Rice........and even worse no defensive stunting up the middle other than a handful of Wagner blitzes to collapse some of Stafford's wide open vision.

This "vaunted" DB room should have NO issues playing aggressive press man against weak receiving corps without their #1 receiver.

Just frustrating to watch all the way around.

scutterhawk

Reaction score

Yup, I hated it when Matt Hustlebutt used the same phrase.
I think that when Pete saw his team take the lead early on, he & they took it as a "We Got This", got full of themselves and took their foot off the gas.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I don't even know what "want it more" means. Maybe it's something you tell a teen to instill work ethic, but these are pros.

The Rams had tools. They had a general who schemed, prepared, adjusted, was open minded and flexible in providing a platform to best utilize "the want" his team brought to the field.

If I can finish a math exam twice as fast as my classmate, but I had an instructor who tailored her/his pedagogy to that particular test AND gave me a calculator, my expediency is not because "I wanted it more".

"They wanted it more" is just a aphorism to skirt accountability of the real issues.

"Want it more" in this context of what Geno was saying means the Rams came out with a chip, played more aggressive and dictated, not reacted.

Pretty much the complete opposite of how the Hawks played.

Honestly? The play that bothered me the most was the Donald personal foul penalty. If a dirtbag like Donald hits your QB in the face and almost takes his head off? You better have all five lineman and WR's sprinting over to start a shoving/yelling match to stick up for your QB.

Not ONE Hawk lineman or player did it. Not one. How bout you cheap shot Arnold DK, instead of picking on smaller DB's at the end of games when it doesn't matter anymore.

rjdriver

Reaction score
"Want it more" in this context of what Geno was saying means the Rams came out with a chip, played more aggressive and dictated, not reacted.
I get the context brother, I just don't buy it. Yeah, the Rams came out with a chip, played more aggressively, and dictated. I just think the reason was they were more prepared. They weren't in the locker saying "We sure want this more".

Every time we play McVay, it's like starting a 100 yard dash 10 yards behind. He had an answer for everything. We had an answer for nothing. Success brings confidence, and by the end of the game when they were kicking our ass in every facet, that confidence from their preparation perhaps displays itself as desire.

I'm with @AROS. You're pros. Be accountable. We don't need a master motivator, we need a master coach.