Seahawks Passing and Russell Wilson, Elite? Yes sir.

Shock2k

Reaction score
This is usually the part of the season where I try to figure out how good the team REALLY is vs. how good (or bad) I think they are. Which of course is subjective, and because of that, relevant only to me. A 10 and 1 teams is a good team, that’s not what I’m saying, but is a 10 and 1 Seahawks team as good against a Denver, New Orleans or Carolina? Either way, the stats are fun for some folks so I will post them.

Reviewing the Schedule to date:
Well this is a little difficult because if you look at strength of schedule to this point the Seahawks are at .303, which means 30% of teams we have played have a record of .500 or above. Before the season began our projected strength of schedule was .516 (with 7 quality opponents based on 9 or more wins).

Now to be fair the Seahawks played the Texans when they still had Arian Foster, Matt Schaub and a sense of pride (Not to mention a 2 and 1 record). So I would still consider the Texans game a quality win. As would I with games on the road against Arizona and St. Louis at a point both teams were on the rise (especially after St. Louis went all in with Zack Stacy). The Panthers and the Colts were indisputably difficult games, especially considering the strength of those defenses at the time.

San Francisco at Home was not the "Real" San Francisco without Manningham and Crabtree, not to mention the sudden RG3'Itis running rampant in the league against the read option (Note rumors of Cam Newton now becoming primarily a pocket passer).

Taking a look at the ranks of teams we’ve played through the 2013 season doesn’t show any kind of reasonable inference as to “how good” the team is.

OpponentWeekWeek 11 Defensive RankRank When Played
Carolina147
San Francisco21124
Jacksonville33128
Houston4205
Indianapolis52417
Tennessee62911
Arizona715
St.Louis81624
TampaBay91217
Atlanta103030
Minnesota112828

Though looking at the notable injuries alongside the games puts a little more perspective to the games played, I still don’t feel like there is an answer.

OpponentWeekWeek 11 DefensiveRankRank When PlayedInjuries
Carolina147FB1,DE1,DE2,OLB1
SanFrancisco21124FB1,OLB1
Jacksonville33128FB1,DT4,OLT1,OLB1
Houston4205FB1,OLT1,ORT1,OC1,OLB1
Indianapolis52417FB1,OLT1,ORT1,OC1
Tennessee62911FB1,OLT1,ORT1,MLB1
Arizona715FB1,OLT1,ORT1,MLB1
St.Louis81624OLT1,ORT1,FB2
TampaBay91217OLT1,ORT1,FB2,WR1
Atlanta103030OLT1,ORT1,OC1,FB2,WR1
Minnesota112828WR1,FB2,CB2

Yes “FB1” is Michael Robinson, I considered him on the “unpaid PUP list.” To me the team just didn’t feel the same.

Looking at the offense: Passing:

Wonder why we aren’t getting a lot of national play even though we are a 10 and 1 team. I don’t think it's East Coast bias, I think it's just a lack of excitement. If you want a lot of attention you need big time quarterback play. Don’t get me wrong, Wilson seems to throw and one of our receivers seems to catch some impossible pass at least once a game. But to be frank that’s a highlight reel, there is no bigger story working here, hence the lack of national attention. (I have a feeling that may change in bigger games coming up and in the playoffs). Throw in no real interesting games since Week 2 and….

Anyways,
As a team we rush 55% of the time and pass 45% of the time. So though not exceedingly so, we are a rushing team.

So looking at the base Passing Offense:
Base Passing StatsValueRank
TotalYards231619
Attempts25231
Completions18429
Completion%64.30%8

At first glance looks pretty pedestrian. Though highlighting the "8th in Completion Percentage" and then using other stats makes the Seahawks passing offense look a lot better.

I give you some stats that go a little deeper:
Extended Passing StatsValueRank
Touchdowns207
Interceptions61
Passer Rating105.15
[tr[td]Avg Pass Yards/Play[/td][td]13.6[/td][td]2[/td][/tr]

Ok, more meaning for me personally. What does it tell me? Russell Wilson is as awesome and elite of a quarterback as a young Payton Manning, Drew Brees or Tom Brady. Weighting in the absolute masters of the catch we have running routes for him.

Plus take into account:
Offensive Line BadnessValueRank
SacksAllowed298
QBHits558
PasserRating105.15

Besides Ben Roethlisberger, of the top 10 QB’s by passer rating Russell overcame more QB hits and Sacks then all of them. But still maintains the 5th highest passer rating in the league.

And put it to you this way, let’s say the Run/Pass percentage were reversed, Russell Wilson would have 3,075 yards at this point in the season, good enough for 5th in the League.

That’s a hell of a passing game, and a hell of a quarterback. Would I trade Andrew Luck for Russell Wilson… the answer is hell to the no.

OP
OP
Shock2k

Shock2k

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":2ele1t85 said:
Wow. Great write up.

Thanks for posting that. More please.
Thanks it took the better part of the afternoon to put that together.

Here's a fun stat!
Of Cam Newton, Collin K, Andrew Luck, RGIII, and our Friend Russell Wilson,
I give you the "Best at" list.

StatBetter Quarterback
Quarterback RatingRussell Wilson
20+ Passing PlaysRussell Wilson
40+ Passing PlaysRussell Wilson
Interceptions(Least)Russell Wilson
TouchdownsRussell Wilson
Yards Per PlayRussell Wilson
Completion PercentageRussell Wilson
1rst Down PercentageRussell Wilson

RGIII Offensive Rookie of the Year... fail. (Ok not really, but we need to defend our guy).

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
First off, Great Work. I would like to add from my notes and merely my own opinion on some things you missed in your injury section.

PH11 aka WR3/KR1: Week 1-10
Sidney Rice = WR5 (with bum knee affecting performance)
GT= WR1, DB =WR2, JK = WR4

TE2:Anthony McCoy, ( DNP all season games 1-11 aka underrated cog as a quality blocker and middle of the defense receiver)

I would also ADD to your injured lists that you've might have missed or overlooked...:

In week 1: CB2(Browner), DT3(McDonald), DT4 (Hill), RT2

Week 2: DE1, CB2, LT1(1/2 game), DT4, SS2 (JJ)

Week 3: RT1 (1/2 game), LB4 (M. Smith), DT4, SS2

Week 4: DT4, 5T2/PRDT1 (Bennett, 1/2 game) , SS2

Week 5: TE1, CB5

Week 6: TE1

Week 7: DT4

Week 8: DT4, SS2

Week 9: OC1 (1/2 game), SS2

Week 10: SS2, 5T1 (Red Bryant)

Week 11: WR4/KR2 (1/2 game)

(1/2 games) to me when a player goes from pads to street clothes and doesn't play 1 out of 2 halves of football in regulation/OT. Coming from memory so there could be others i.e. I think Browner missed the 2nd half in Week 10 but cannot clarify.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Wonder what his redzone passing stat is? Seem to remember last year, he was tops for the second half of the season and one of the things Brock pointed to as a huge positive.

sam1313

Reaction score
Damn good post sir! And, I couldn't agree with your conclusion any more. In fact, you could offer me any quarterback alive, and I would stick with RW. In my opinion, I think the kid has a legit chance of achieving his goal of becoming the best QB to ever play this game. I still can't believe he is a Seahawk. :179417: AFter all of these years, not only do we finally have an amazing franchise QB, we may have the best ever! Don't pinch me, if I wake up and this has all been dream, I'm gonna need to klll something…. :cussing: :death2:

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Bravo sir! Thanks for putting that together on a day when the 12's truly need a bright spot!

Tumblr m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1 500