Your ideal offseason in 3-5 easy steps

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
Let's play a game, I wanna hear what each of you guys think the Seahawks need to do specifically in the offseason to build up a stronger team for next season, and do it in 3-5 easy steps. Any more or any less steps, and you shall be condemned into a life of eternal torment (Just kidding?)

Ok, I'll start.

-Invest early in the draft & FA to bolster the OL & DL
-Draft a RB & a TE in the middle rounds
-Design a gameplan that's more uptempo in the first half before going to "Pete Ball"
-Bolster the secondary with players that are faster to the ball
-Replace Ivan Lewis & Brian Schneider

I'll give Carroll, Schotty, and Norton a break here, but to say the team was snake-bitten with injuries late in the season, and the special teams have under-performed the last few seasons, would be a massive understatement. But anyways,
that's what I would like to see, I think it's feasible.

What say you?

Seahawk_Dan

Reaction score
12AngryHawks":3vpna043 said:
Let's play a game, I wanna hear what each of you guys think the Seahawks need to do specifically in the offseason to build up a stronger team for next season, and do it in 3-5 easy steps. Any more or any less steps, and you shall be condemned into a life of eternal torment (Just kidding?)

Ok, I'll start.

-Invest early in the draft & FA to bolster the OL & DL
-Draft a RB & a TE in the middle rounds
-Design a gameplan that's more uptempo in the first half before going to "Pete Ball"
-Bolster the secondary with players that are faster to the ball
-Replace Ivan Lewis & Brian Schneider

I'll give Carroll, Schotty, and Norton a break here, but to say the team was snake-bitten with injuries late in the season, and the special teams have under-performed the last few seasons, would be a massive understatement. But anyways,
that's what I would like to see, I think it's feasible.

What say you?
I pretty much 98% agree, but I'd probably still ditch Norton and Clint Hurtt too.

chris98251

Reaction score
Signing our own guys first priority, we rarely if ever jump into the F.A. mix till round three and let the stupids of the league throw money in a burning house.

We will piece work holes unless we have a lock down guy like maybe Slay wanting to come in.

McDougald has the Smarts and really likes the FS more but doesn't have the speed for it, we need more of a presence where he plays, if he could play the slot I would love it, maybe lose a few pounds if we get a thumper.

We really need to draft well, our Safety depth from two years ago has looked abysmal, I like Blair but he is Diggs heir apparent at this point and a dime guy with Amadi as a developing Nickel at this point. Pete says the need more reps which I think is valid, you need recognition skills to play down hill and not be thinking. Speaking of thinking Hill and TT both touted for being smart and having good football minds. It must be fantasy like a lot of poster here, sure isn't showing up on the field.

RB. DE. DT. OG. OT C.SS a thumper and a Nickel guy. LB's I think we can pick up in F.A. we really need a guy to come in for Wright I think at this point.

mistaowen

Reaction score
1) Re-sign Clowney as soon as possible. He clearly wants to be here, accounted for probably 90% of the pressures, very disruptive in the run game, and is entering his prime. He needs to be a cornerstone of this defense.

2) Get rid of Norton and begin search for the next Dan Quinn. Smart X's and O's guy with a DL background. We HAVE to improve talent and get more out of the DL next year, outside of injuries this was probably the biggest negative. Tackling was also atrocious and Norton needs to be held accountable.

3) Find the next Bennett/Avril FA signings. I don't know if we will ever be able to get 2 guys so disruptive for such team friendly deals but an infusion of talent as mentioned in #2 is desperately needed on the DL. I don't think they can go into next year hoping the young guys take steps forward or rookies can come in right away contributing. Some intriguing FA's that I hope they kick the tires on.

4) Take a play maker early in the draft. Draft is loaded with talented WR this year and there's a big drop off for DL. It's clear the offense needs someone new in the #3 role - Brown, Moore, Turner aren't cutting it. Go get a big play guy for Russell and hope the offense can continue to be built around him.

5) Overhaul depth in the secondary. TT and Hill need to be no where near the final roster next year. Flowers needs to be pushed for his starting job. Amadi should hopefully blossom into a solid nickel CB next year. I hope Blair can take big steps forward this offseason, he flashed a bunch of potential.

2_0_6

Reaction score
My 5 steps dont address the D Line which I know is a HUGE need. Outside of Clowney I really wouldnt pay big bucks for any of the FA that will be available. So either a trade or draft em'.

1. Resign or resturcture Clowney, Willson, Britt, KJ, Fant, and Jefferson.
2. Let Reed, Ansah, Jaron Brown, Iupati, Fluker, Procise all walk.
3. Sign Brandon Scherff.
4. Sign Austin Hooper.
5. Try to sign a legit CB. Byron Jones might be too expensive, but maybe a 31 year old Chris Harris could be had at a good price.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Harris would be great! And a welcome teammate for McDougald, too. That would go far to take care of the glaring need in our secondary. *Shut down corner #1 need.
I had some free time yesterday and looked at our D Line roster. We have several guys who really can play, if they stay. I know can and do are too often two different realities. But we definitely *need (assuming we're able to resign Clowney) at least one more DE that can produce results. Want to see us *draft another talented running RB. A good one. I'm worried the injuries to Carson and Penny might not heal to satisfaction. Then *fix up our O Line,add in the schematic changes Coach intends on D, and I think we're ready to roll.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
chris98251":2pbcqutr said:
Signing our own guys first priority, we rarely if ever jump into the F.A. mix till round three and let the stupids of the league throw money in a burning house.

We will piece work holes unless we have a lock down guy like maybe Slay wanting to come in.

McDougald has the Smarts and really likes the FS more but doesn't have the speed for it, we need more of a presence where he plays, if he could play the slot I would love it, maybe lose a few pounds if we get a thumper.

We really need to draft well, our Safety depth from two years ago has looked abysmal, I like Blair but he is Diggs heir apparent at this point and a dime guy with Amadi as a developing Nickel at this point. Pete says the need more reps which I think is valid, you need recognition skills to play down hill and not be thinking. Speaking of thinking Hill and TT both touted for being smart and having good football minds. It must be fantasy like a lot of poster here, sure isn't showing up on the field.

RB. DE. DT. OG. OT C.SS a thumper and a Nickel guy. LB's I think we can pick up in F.A. we really need a guy to come in for Wright I think at this point.

Great post. On McDougald, I thought he preferred playing SS over FS. I came across this article that mentioned his preference - https://www.seattletimes.com/sports...win-position-battles-at-safety-and-tight-end/. Although that was back in July so he may have changed his mind about his preference since then.

Mick063

Reaction score
Team isn't that far away from disaster or championship. Could easily go in either direction.

Pass rush is number one. Secondary is number two. Offensive line is number three.

Where can rookies immediately help the most? Of the three main need areas, probably as a pass rusher. Where can rookies least likely immediately help? Probably at offensive line.

Hence, sign veteran free agent offensive lineman. Draft rookie pass rushers. Find secondary help by either method.

I would like to see edge rushers drafted 1,2, and 3. Sort em' out in training camp.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I forgot to mention one thing. We MUST acquire another center. Even if Britt is back and signed we at least need a backup comparable and capable. Hunt ain't it. There are some very attractive options in the draft that should be considered for such an important position.

THE TABS

Reaction score
1. Cut Britt, McDougall, Dickson, and Fluker (20 million freed up)

2 1st round tender Carson and Griffin

3. Resign Clowney.

4. Sign Jack Conklin and Graham Glasgow to shore up right side of OL, and AJ Green (If the price is right)

5. Draft Tyler Biadasz (center) and use remaining picks to load up on defense

Largent80

Reaction score
Cut McDougald?...Hahahaha

Dickson yes but cut McDougald is the biggest laugh so far of this.

2_0_6

Reaction score
THE TABS":9d1a8aaj said:
1. Cut Britt, McDougall, Dickson, and Fluker (20 million freed up)

Ed Dickson $3.8 Mil ($800k dead cap)
McDougald $5.4mil ($1.3mil dead cap)
Britt $11.4mil ($2.9mil Dead cap)
Fluker $3.4mil ($500k dead cap)

I agree on Dickson for sure, but not so much on the others.

Could you really find a better solution to Fluker under $3mil?
What about Center? Joey Hunt did a decent job, but I dont want him as the starter for 16 games next season.
McDougald isn't going anywhere, especially on a team where the secondary needs holes filled already.

Largent80

Reaction score
Cut Britt?. Did you see Hunt in the backfield during a hand off more than once. I DID. He did a decent job but he's clearly a liability....Who do you propose is the C?

knownone

Reaction score
Resign Clowney, Reed, and Hunt.

Sign another (hopefully cheaper) premier pass rusher: Yannick Ngakoue, Matthew Judon, etc..

Sign one of the talented/young free agent offensive lineman: Jack Conklin, Joe Thuney, etc.

Move on from Ifedi, Kendricks, Iupati, Britt.

Trade for Jamal Adams, or trade up in the draft for a difference maker.

2_0_6

Reaction score
A trade for Jamal Adams would likely take something similar to the Frank Clark trade. I would LOVE him here, but I don't want to mortgage our picks when we have so many damn holes already.

Largent80

Reaction score
It starts up front. We are deficient on both sides of the ball on BOTH lines.

There are no Easy Steps. There is a Salary cap, that is a huge problem to overcome. It isn't as simple as solving all needs and having the money to do it.

Like I said. The O-line is in a huge state of flux, same for the D-Line. These are the obvious fixes for Seattle.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":1zxey17j said:
Cut McDougald?...Hahahaha

Dickson yes but cut McDougald is the biggest laugh so far of this.

I'd definitely be against cutting McDougald unless we desperately needed the cap space, which we should not. 5M savings is not earth shattering.

It'd also mean going into next season trusting Blair to take over at SS, and that could spell trouble. But that's why you used a high pick on drafting him right? So wouldn't be a shocker if McDougald was cut. But IMO that would never happen unless Blair proved it all through camp and pre-season that he's healthy and showed the thump and maturity necessary to not regret the decision.

My ideal off season in one big step. Use 80% of our draft picks and 80% of our cap space on the defense.

Largent80

Reaction score
OMG. Cut McDougald and make Blair the starter and we're ok???...Hahahahahahaha. Laughable on many levels. Get a the DL FIXED and the back end is ok, and that includes everyone's whippin boy Flowers.