You can't really compare RW to Cam Newton vs Falcons?

joe in Sea

Reaction score
I think its stupid to keep comparing Russell Wilson to Cam Newton vs the Falcons I think for one you have to remember that is a divisional game there always tough close games(Take the Rams for example) and in those games Cam Newton totaled something like 400 yards in each game. I like Wilson but I'm not so sure he'll get that kind of yards on them plus Cam would be getting sacked and simply break a lot of tackles Wilson's not that type of QB he's more of a scrambler looking to throw extending plays then looking to run. They also shut down RG3 and he payed into the 4th quarter to he didn't exit that game all that early like so many people are saying.

Navyhawkfan187

Reaction score
joe in Sea":25zc3hne said:
I think its stupid to keep comparing Russell Wilson to Cam Newton vs the Falcons I think for one you have to remember that is a divisional game there always tough close games(Take the Rams for example) and in those games Cam Newton totaled something like 400 yards in each game. I like Wilson but I'm not so sure he'll get that kind of yards on them plus Cam would be getting sacked and simply break a lot of tackles Wilson's not that type of QB he's more of a scrambler looking to throw extending plays then looking to run. They also shut down RG3 and he payed into the 4th quarter to he didn't exit that game all that early like so many people are saying.

Yeah RG3 only ran read option once though before his concussion regardless of how long he was in the game.

jhball

Reaction score
I think the point of the comparison is that RW can have success, not that he will match anyones stats. As we all know, any given sunday.
We will see tomorrow.

themunn

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":3jiiczqi said:
joe in Sea":3jiiczqi said:

Yeah RG3 only ran read option once though before his concussion regardless of how long he was in the game.

Not necessarily, he might have just read that the run was the better option in that game - Morris had a pretty good game rushing as far as I remember.

Anyway, I agree it's stupid to compare, Wilson can't take the hits that Newton can take so can't run as tough - but he's a much more polished passer, so it'll be a completely different game. There's not really a player in the league you can compare Wilson to, Newton, RGIII and Kaepernick are similar, though RGIII is a smarter passer than both, and Newton is a much tougher runner than the other two, but Wilson doesn't really compare well with any of them apart from the fact that he's a danger to run.

OP
OP
J

joe in Sea

Reaction score
I think you can compare Wilson to Drew Brees. Bees is a very mobile QB doesn't run much but a lot like Wilson. Wilson's no where near the passer Brees is but a better runner In think down the road they'll be very similar players.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It is absolutely valid. It proves that the Falcons can't stop the pistol or read option even when they know it is coming. It proves you can freeze their backers. And it proves you can open the safeties to attack with the read option.

Of course there is some variation in player types, but I woud ask Joe in Sea this question: are you suggesting that copying some of what the Panthers did is't helpful for this game plan? Because I state categorically the opposite, copying the things division rivals do when they have success against the Falcons is imperative, as long as the matchups favor it. And in this case they do.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The Falcons have trouble with that stuff, and Wilson is a far superior passer to Newton.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
joe in Sea":7ws22tdm said:

Its stupid to compare two QBs with very similar skill sets and offensive gameplans?

I cam understand saying RW would struggle to run as effectively as Cam, as much as Cam would struggle to throw as effectively as RW.

However, both play in similar offensive sets. both offenses share similar plans of attack. And both QBs have similar strengths. And the Falcons struggled to cope with Cam both times they played. I think the hope is that they will continue to struggle against the read option and versatility of the QB tomorrow.

As has been pointed out, Atlanta's defense is not good. I think this is as much a key to the game tomorrow as our lack of pass rush (which English pointed out in another thread)